Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread II

• 13-07-2017 10:57pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Those with long memories will recall the economic war of the nineteen thirties where the Irish Gov refused to pay the annuity money to the British Gov saying they were due to the Irish Gov (Dev was responsible for this). Britain retaliated by refusing to buy Irish beef. As a consequence, the Irish herd was culled with no market. Come 1939, Britain decided to begin buying Irish beef again because of the war. Unfortunately, they were too late - there was no beef.

Let us hope history is not repeated.
    Back then we didn't have a world wide market.

More recently we've been able to export beef to markets like the Middle East which the UK couldn't because of politics.

Also the drop in sterling makes the UK less attractive to our exporters.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The repeal bill is already causing issues.
    Any Tory defections and it won't pass.

And who thinks the DUP will give up devolved powers to a UK government that has done squat on the border issue ?
    Especially when things going south means everything could literally go south as the possibility of border poll can't be ruled out.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40589510
    Labour says it will not support the bill in its current form and is demanding concessions in six areas, including the incorporation of the European Charter of Fundamental Rights into British law.

But the Scottish and Welsh governments have to give "legislative consent" to the bill before it can become law - something they have said they are not willing to do.

In a joint statement, first ministers Nicola Sturgeon and Carwyn Jones, who also met Mr Barnier, described the bill as a "naked power-grab" by Westminster that undermined the principles of devolution.

They say the bill returns powers from Brussels solely to the UK government and Parliament and "imposes new restrictions" on the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are you honestly saying the UK can be self reliant?
    not for food. Not even close.
    Only 54% is home grown.

Technically ICI did have a plant making single celled protein "pruteen" (animal feed unless you are are really hungry) that could produce as much as an area the size of Wales covered in soya. But it wasn't cheap as it used natural gas as the feedstock.

atlas_S1vGKAcS.png

And transport
    They are nominally self sufficient for petroleum products in that export and import values match.

They are importing LNG from the US too.

Electricity is a different issue though as they import that from the EU.

And nurses , http://www.bbc.com/news/education-40581643
    The figures show a sharp decline in those applying to study nursing courses - down 19%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Long memories, I think you mean ling lives?

A 1930 trade war is relevant to a discussion about Brexit in 2019?

This thread really has become an echo chamber from the usual anti British little Irelanders.
    I agree that 'glib' references to 1930s and 1940s are hardly constructive here...

...that said however, considering the socio-economic consequences which the UK is facing from the worst possible forms of Brexit, the parallel is not completely without merit.

I believe that this whole Brexit thing, when all is said and done and its effects percolate fully down to the individual level across the length and breadth of the country, will leave a mark on the collective British psyche, far worse than Thatcherism, the miners' strike and similar 'peacetime' divisive occurrences ever did or could.

It will be, and remain, a factor of intense personal and political division for decades, never less so than between older and younger generations.

Regardless of whether the UK actually Brexits or not in the end (because either outcome will have far-reaching consequences).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

What do you mean Wes? The DUP are hoping Brexit will help reverse the soft unification of Ireland, living standards in the north be damned.

When I hear of Britain being self-sufficient my mind goes to this for some reason:

I didn't mention the DUP, something gone wrong with the quote there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ambro25 wrote: »
    I agree that 'glib' references to 1930s and 1940s are hardly constructive here...

...that said however, considering the socio-economic consequences which the UK is facing from the worst possible forms of Brexit, the parallel is not completely without merit.

I believe that this whole Brexit thing, when all is said and done and its effects percolate fully down to the individual level across the length and breadth of the country, will leave a mark on the collective British psyche, far worse than Thatcherism, the miners' strike and similar 'peacetime' divisive occurrences ever did or could.

It will be, and remain, a factor of intense personal and political division for decades, never less so than between older and younger generations.

Regardless of whether the UK actually Brexits or not in the end (because either outcome will have far-reaching consequences).

I agree there are very deep divisions in the UK at the moment and Brexit is causing a needless amount of economic and political unrest.

I think we are still some way from seeing U-Boats blockading the channel though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This thread really has become an echo chamber from the usual anti British little Irelanders.
    To be fair Fred there are several posters like myself in this thread who would (prior to Brexit) have borne no malice towards the UK and could have even conceived closer ties with the country. Relations between our countries had never been better. Brexit has certainly changed for the worse how I feel about the UK.

The UK press and political class have lazily blamed the EU for everything, even controllable immigration and controllable EU immigration at that! The UK never even tried to apply the rules as applied by Germany, Belgium, France etc. that prevent benefits and health tourism of EU nationals. Germany tells newly arrived Brits to go home after 3 months on welfare. The UK simply never did. Even if there are few EU scroungers (which I believe to be the case) in the UK, it would have been an end to the Daily Mail's endless protests about this issue had the UK simply enforced these regulations.

murphaph wrote: »
    To be fair Fred there are several posters like myself in this thread who would (prior to Brexit) have borne no malice towards the UK and could have even conceived closer ties with the country. Relations between our countries had never been better. Brexit has certainly changed for the worse how I feel about the UK.

The UK press and political class have lazily blamed the EU for everything, even controllable immigration and controllable EU immigration at that! The UK never even tried to apply the rules as applied by Germany, Belgium, France etc. that prevent benefits and health tourism of EU nationals. Germany tells newly arrived Brits to go home after 3 months on welfare. The UK simply never did. Even if there are few EU scroungers (which I believe to be the case) in the UK, it would have been an end to the Daily Mail's endless protests about this issue had the UK simply enforced these regulations.

every country in europe blames the eu, that's why Junckers said this https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/01/stop-bashing-the-eu-jean-claude-juncker-tells-european-leaders

we blamed them over here for forcing us to bail out German bond holders and enforcing water charges and property taxes on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

every country in europe blames the eu, that's why Junckers said this https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/01/stop-bashing-the-eu-jean-claude-juncker-tells-european-leaders

we blamed them over here for forcing us to bail out German bond holders and enforcing water charges and property taxes on us.
    Yes. But we have the maturity to recognise when we're venting and blowing off steam. We don't proceed to leave the EU because we're unhappy about water charges.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As the old thread was nearing 10,000 posts it has been closed. Please continue the discussion here.

New users please read the charter before posting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

UK airports warn about crashing out of the Open Skies Agreement on Brexit Day - still, there's always Jersey and the Isle of Man for overseas travel! :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/british-airports-warn-flights-to-europe-will-be-grounded-aviation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

EasyJet will create a new airline based in Vienna that will shield its routes within the European Union from any fallout from Brexit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/easyjet-to-set-up-austria-base-to-run-eu-flights-after-brexit-1.3154833

More and more companies hedging their bets . And even if we get to March 2019 and the UK decides to change it's mind. Most of these companies aren't going to return to the UK

Mean while in Parliament
    At least 15 Conservative MPs are in talks with a Labour MP to prevent a hard Brexit – potentially enough to defeat Theresa May in the Commons.

Stephen Kinnock said there was a “growing recognition” of the need for Britain to embrace a Norway-style arrangement to head off the threat of severe economic damage.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-conservative-mps-labour-defeat-theresa-may-hard-stephen-kinnock-eu-european-union-a7840446.html

It's so hard to know where the lay of the land is . Each vote causes new alliances to be formed and old alliance to fall apart

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yes. But we have the maturity to recognise when we're venting and blowing off steam. We don't proceed to leave the EU because we're unhappy about water charges.

It would be very very different if Ireland were paying billions a year, instead of receiving it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It would be very very different if Ireland were paying billions a year, instead of receiving it I guess.

Ireland is a net contributor.

Ireland is a net contributor.

barely and only a recent occurance

It's still a fact that Ireland is a net contributor.

Anyway, the contributions that the UK was making to the EU were part of a wider package. I know that the NHS will be 200 million a week better off.... But the fact remains that Britain will lose more economically than it will gain.

The EU is much like paying taxes. Those of us that do grumble and moan about it but we know having a referendum to abolish taxes would be foolhardy to say the least, as there is a possibility it would actually pass and then we would be up **** creek. Like like the UK now

I know that the NHS will be 200 million a week better off.... But the fact remains that Britain will lose more economically than it will gain.

That is a stupid comment.

The fact still remains that in Ireland, the EU has been visibly beneficial, whereas to the UK, it is far less visible.
    The EU is much like paying taxes. Those of us that do grumble and moan about it but we know having a referendum to abolish taxes would be foolhardy to say the least, as there is a possibility it would actually pass and then we would be up **** creek. Like like the UK now

Or a referendum on a united Ireland....

I'm not seeing the link?

That is a stupid comment.

The fact still remains that in Ireland, the EU has been visibly beneficial, whereas to the UK, it is far less visible.

If you are going to call a comment 'stupid' you should have the grace and wit to explain why. Unless it's just because you have no argument?

I'm not seeing the link?

because financially it is a stupid thing to do, but it might pass because people aren't always interested in finances.
    If you are going to call a comment 'stupid' you should have the grace and wit to explain why. Unless it's just because you have no argument?

why is a comment that the NHS will receive £200million per week extra stupid?

really?

• Advertisement

because financially it is a stupid thing to do, but it might pass because people aren't always interested in finances.

Unlike brexit though it would be a short term financial harm rather than long term harm. Anyway we are getting off topic

why is a comment that the NHS will receive £200million per week extra stupid?

really?

I'm just quoting the Brexiteers' claim that funding for the NHS would increase. Not my stupid comment it was theirs. In fact they claimed it would be 350 million. Which is even more stupid. So you're right. Their comment was very stupid.

Unlike brexit though it would be a short term financial harm rather than long term harm. Anyway we are getting off topic

would it?

No one knows for definite if the UK will be worse off after Brexit. All we know is that no one is investing in the UK until the final terms are known.
    I'm just quoting the Brexiteers' claim that funding for the NHS would increase. Not my stupid comment it was theirs. In fact they claimed it would be 350 million. Which is even more stupid. So you're right. Their comment was very stupid.

You see, this is where this thread just gets really really daft. You are convinced that "Brexiteers" are one combined group that all think the same. This is quite clearly not the case, but then, admitting this means that stupid little throw away comments like yours can't be used.

btw, you haven;t used the term "Little Englander" for three or four posts now, you're slipping.:rolleyes:

would it?

No one knows for definite if the UK will be worse off after Brexit. All we know is that no one is investing in the UK until the final terms are known.

You see, this is where this thread just gets really really daft. You are convinced that "Brexiteers" are one combined group that all think the same. This is quite clearly not the case, but then, admitting this means that stupid little throw away comments like yours can't be used.

btw, you haven;t used the term "Little Englander" for three or four posts now, you're slipping.:rolleyes:

Actually, I don't know what point you're trying to make. Genuinely, your post doesn't make sense to me. But I'll respond to what I think you're saying.

Thanks for reminding me. The Little Englanders such as Boris and Nigel duped the British people during the referendum campaign. They continue to dupe them. That is why a barefaced lie such as the money for the NHS is very relevant today. The Little Englanders such as Davies, Boris and Fox are lying right now to the British public. Don't even get me started on the hypocrite May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Wait, because the Leave campaign had many different fronts it was fighting on it means that criticisms of the lies of one of the campaigns cannot be brought up? Is that what you are saying? Or are you implying not many people believed the £350m per week for the NHS line?

UK airports warn about crashing out of the Open Skies Agreement on Brexit Day

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40604375
    UK airline EasyJet is planning to set up a new company in Austria to protect its European business after Britain leaves the EU.

The new airline, EasyJet Europe, will be based in Vienna.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

It might but it depends on how you perceive "value for money".

The UK, for instance, benefits from having roughly 2/3s of its exports tariff free due to its EU membership and the EU's FTAs. Obviously if you don't have to pay a charge, you are certainly getting some value for your money but if you don't perceive that as the service is "free" - a bit like our "free" water services - or if you naively assume that everyone will fall over themselves to give you new FTAs with even better terms - the same service but at a lower price - then you will believe that you are a "net contributor" and getting poor value for money as you only see the charges and not the benefits - a short term accountant's viewpoint in other words of the sort that had the Government convinced that Anglo-Irish was an amazing bank in the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

so if I have a property in say Dublin and I pay more property tax than a similar house in Donegal I should cry unfair?

If I earn 60,000 and somebody in my workplace earns 30,000 I should complain that I pay more tax?

Everybody knows how the tax system works.

The UK was well aware of the rules on contribution when they joined. They cried about it and got a reduced contribution but if you really want a fair EU then some must contribute more than others. In time we will pay more too and so will some of the countries who are now net beneficiaries. It's how the system works.

As for the NHS getting £300 million a week more, well Farange says he never said that and whistling Boris said he didn't put it there. So that's that then, nothing to see here, move on.

And as for voters who voted Brexit because they did'nt want straight bananas, I think we'll park that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The billions the UK paid in pales in comparison to the economic benefit Britain reaped from the single market. If they didn't I would say leaving the EU was a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

steddyeddy wrote:
    The billions the UK paid in pales in comparison to the economic benefit Britain reaped from the single market. If they didn't I would say leaving the EU was a good idea.

That economic benefit works both ways. There are loads of sources available (and I'm cr4p at posting links!) but overall Britain imports far more than it exports to the EU.
    The main problem with the EU is when they tie movement of people and the European judiciary to the economics.
    Economies DO require a certain amount of political rules but they should be kept to a minimum so as to not unduly interfere with market forces. Unfortunately this approach won't fuel the EU Gravy Train and all their "side projects"
    Despite whatever Michel Barnier, Guy Verhofstadt and J C Junker say, the likes of Siemens, Renault, Mercedes Benz, Schneider, Bosch, Peugeot, Pirelli, VW, Moet and all the other tech, food or motor industries will not like losing out all those exports and the outcome will be, ahem, interesting.
    *gets skip load of popcorn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement