Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I've been making really silly mistakes at work since I started here 8 months ago. Stuff that I really should have caught is being caught by other people. It's not an issue in my home life, just in work. I had the problem in my previous job too and got fired for it. This time it's worse because the money's much better here. I don't feel particularly depressed but I do feel anxious because of the mistakes. I don't know what to do or who to talk to. My employer's extended my probation for a month and I have a suspicion that I'm going to be fired. Doesn't help that we're living with my in-laws who think I'm a moron anyway.

I love my partner and daughter dearly and don't want to disappoint them, I just don't seem to be very good at working in detail-oriented job - which is all of them. I hate myself.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

don't hate yourself, thats not going to help anybody.
    Your employer had a tailor made opportunity to let you go (if you came to the end of your probation as you suggest you did) and they DIDNT. Thats a big statement (and its very typical of depression to spin that sort of thing into a negative, as you did above).

As an employer, what I want to hear from a staff member in your situation is "I want to do better, I'm willing to change but I need some assistance to work out how to be a better worker". Thats gold.

You say you dont feel depressed but what you describe is CLASSIC depression in my experience (feeling like its all impending doom, no capacity to focus on detail, anxiety, a feeling of helplessness etc). I can only tell you that I improved when I fought back and decided not to be a passenger in my own mental-health journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Ugh after 6 months of uninterrupted contentedness and normality, anxiety has decided to rear its ugly head. No reason. Just for the lols.
    My anxiety attacks tend to be nocturnal- I'll wake up in the dead f night in the deep grip of the attack. Last night I woke at half 12, managed to stave it off, and woke again at 3.30am and stayed awake til after 5. Thankfully I can work from home, as I wasn't in any fit state to go into the office.
    Spent the day jittery and tearful all day, and feeling extremely paranoid.
    Ugh. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Ugh after 6 months of uninterrupted contentedness and normality, anxiety has decided to rear its ugly head. No reason. Just for the lols.
    My anxiety attacks tend to be nocturnal- I'll wake up in the dead f night in the deep grip of the attack. Last night I woke at half 12, managed to stave it off, and woke again at 3.30am and stayed awake til after 5. Thankfully I can work from home, as I wasn't in any fit state to go into the office.
    Spent the day jittery and tearful all day, and feeling extremely paranoid.
    Ugh. Great.

Has anything happened in the last few days that might have triggered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Makapakka wrote: »
    Has anything happened in the last few days that might have triggered it?

Honestly, no. Certainly nothing that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

I am so tired when people ask me 'What is your dream job? If you could do anything what would you do?'

Have struggled for years to know what to do with my life. That question is such a waste of time for me. All it does is make you raise your hopes and have unrealistic expectation of what you can do. My CV is a piece of s**t. Graduated in 2008. 'Work' to me is just getting paid to do something you don't like which is usually based in an open plan office and is incredibly monotonous.

"What's your dream job?" - oh please f**k off. :rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Any tips for dealing with anger? I am soooo pissed off today.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    Any tips for dealing with anger? I am soooo pissed off today.
    Two tips...

1. Sit down and put everything aside for 10+ minutes so you have no pressure or need to rush this... then try to follow the thread of why you are angry. Not the immediate reason like "That person was rude to me" but the deep-seated reason like "they hurt me by questioning my ability about something I'm quite vulnerable about and I lashed out". Acknowledge the hurt/anger/whatever, feel it and feel *through* it until it feels "over" (sorry that this isnt very clear language, but its the best I've got). When its done, put that in a box marked "dealt with" and dont let it come back for more emotional time from you, its just being greedy then and wanting more time from you when its had more than its fair share.

2. Laughter... its chemically the counter to cortisol (stress chemical) so try to find something that makes you laugh... all sorts of nice chemicals get released then (you hear people say things like "things dont seem so bad now" after a long good period of laughter... )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Hello folks, started on zispin last week after almost a year on cipramil. Feeling absolutely exhausted from doing nothing.
    Any else feel the same whilst taking both of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Hello folks, started on zispin last week after almost a year on cipramil. Feeling absolutely exhausted from doing nothing.

I'm on cipramil 20 mg and I always feel tired,sluggish and bloated I presume it's a side effect ,hope things improve for u.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I was on a different brand, but same drug for years (mirtazapine). Can't recall the name as I came off them a few years back. They actually have a sedative type effect as well as a treatment for anxiety and depression. I was advised to take them at night time so I could sleep. Do you take at night or in the morning? They do level out after a while, like most medications.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

I'm on 30mg of Mirtazapine a generic brand of Zispin again since July and I take it at night to help me sleep but I still feel tired during the day, am hoping it will level out after a few months. Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

I take them at night and sleep like a log. Its well into the afternoon before the 'cloudiness' goes away though. You are right about the sedative effect. Thanks to the two of you for replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I take them at night and sleep like a log. Its well into the afternoon before the 'cloudiness' goes away though. You are right about the sedative effect. Thanks to the two of you for replying.

No problem and all the best. I will just add that mirtazapine was the first of so many medications to have a positive effect on my depression. They really helped me. Thankfully they were the start of my recovery and after some time I was finally able to taper my dose and got off of them completely. It's now 18 months since I was last on them and I am very happy and content with my life now. I will keep an eye on this thread and if you want to post to ask me any questions about that time of my life feel free. Take care of yourself.

Just want to post here because don't want to say this to anyone. I dreamt of my first love last night and have been very emotional tonight. I miss him, I miss how he made me feel, I miss having someone love me that much in return. I am just feeling lonely and overwhelmed at the moment. This is a surprise for me because I haven't thought about him like that in years. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

My father has been suffering from it for the best part of the decade, diagnosed with it about 10 years ago, but really I think he's had it a bit longer but never realized, like when I was a kid growing up, he only had seasonal work here and there, and my mother was working full time, so my Dad looked after us most of the time but a lot of the time he was sulking a lot and sleeping the whole day away and he's be like an anti-christ if you woke him.

He's worked nights in hotels most of his life and slept during the day, I'd imagine that didn't help, he was never much of a people person and him working in a budget hotel, hated the Irish guests because they'd be drinking all night and being loud and waking all the guests upstairs that came in off tour buses, Dad often came in saying "Much prefer the non Irish guests, they are no hassle, one pint of Guinness or a glass of wine and they'd be in bed by 12, that's the way I like it"

He has had to take sick leave from work and is on medical certs for the last year or so. Basically he's not happy in work, he's not happy out of work and it's exhausting.

He developed a taste of cannabis/weed about 14 or 15 years ago when I was a teenager before he was formally diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and I have read in recent years that it brings on an underlying mental illness or makes it worse. He's been on anti-depressants since about 2008 and is off and on the weed. He spent most of last year off it in fact, and the atmosphere at home wasn't too bad at all, he was in ok spirits most of the time but his sister became homeless a few months ago, she also smokes it, and she had to move into our house for about 2 months, and lo and behold she brought the weed with her and Dad fell off the wagon, which really annoyed me being it just creates an unpleasant atmosphere in the house and my mam and I have to walk on eggshells, I have to live at home because of the rents. I'd be gone otherwise.

He's been using weed a lot lately, even grew a plant in the garden shed for his own use, I'm sure it's making it worse being I've read being on both his anti-depressant and smoking that messes with the chemical balance in the brain and his mood has been very off for the last fortnight, and it's very hard to watch and live with. I've said to my mother many times that he is his own worst enemy by smoking that and taking prescribed medication and I've shown her the stuff I've read about it. She has told him, but it falls on deaf ears most of the time. He has given it up in the past and can stay off it for months but all it takes is one of his siblings, they all dabble in it (which is a wreck the head) and all it takes is one of them to walk in the door when he's off it, and bang he's back on it again.

I do be on the verge of completely losing the rag and chucking them out of the house, because I have to live there, and I like a nice easy going environment at home and whenever it happens, I get pissed off but the mother says "don't get involved" and I stay out of it to not disappoint her.

Don't think Dad has gone near the exotic tobacco for a few days being he's been very off form, he had some sort of depressive/anxiety episode while I was on a course day the day before yesterday while my mam and aunt were there, my mam now hopes my aunt now see's what that stuff can do when your mind isn't well. He went to see some sort of mental health doctor the day before yesterday but he keeps my mam generally in the dark of what's said, doubt his use of cannabis is even mentioned to them. It's just hard to live with.

He's not the only person close to me that struggles with it. I also had to end a relationship 2 and a half years ago and one of the reasons I ended it was her having depression and high functioning anxiety and panic disorder. Wasn't the only reason, she was an academic too and worked way too much, her workload set off her illness and basically I got completely phased out of her life, just felt like the relationship didn't matter to her, there was no room for me. Everything was about her like and I was feeling like too much of a crutch. Plus her and I had different ideas about the future, children and so forth and I'd hoped there would be some sort of turn around but it wasn't happening. It got very complicated and I got very burned out and ended it, which stung a lot, she's a great person, loved her to bits, but her dark side was hard to cope with and I got to the end of my rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You have Plenty to say about your dad, your family and even an ex girlfriend Zcorpian88. How are you doing?

How does all this stuff make you feel? Who do you have to talk with about all this drama in your life? You have mentioned a lot of things that you find hard to live with, please share if you are comfortable. This is exactly why this thread is here, so we don't feel alone and that our voices can be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Drumpot wrote: »
    You have Plenty to say about your dad, your family and even an ex girlfriend Zcorpian88. How are you doing?

Could be better Drumpot, revising for an exam at the minute, so keeping sane

Have moved onto working on my lack of self esteem in cbt and as usual with change I am feeling down, anxious, pissed off very easily. We are working to break apart my core beliefs that I'm not good enough and it's very tough. It means trying to listen to my self critical voice a lot more rather than brushing her under the carpet. But I just feel I'm getting so annoyed at my 4 year old for no reasons. She's talking back to me, everything that upsets her is my fault, if I correct her in a way that's teaching her (as in, that the number 3, and she is saying it's not) it ends in tears and tantrums and I'm just sick of it. All responsibility lies with me. I can tell my man and friends have noticed my mood gone bad again.. but dunno how to pick myself back up :( am just feeling so guilty for getting annoyed with her..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭worded

Endorphins ...

Hula hoop saves man's life
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVRaRvkRpc

This is me here ... look at me! ... (just joking its not me!)
    http://www.hooping.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/hooping.gif

I find Im the happiest when Ive had a walk or a cycle or swim + listen to some music. Nothing too strenuous.

Its the endorphons rush. But the Irish weather can be a put off and when feeling low its difficult to motivate yourself to get out the door. The most difficult part of exercise is walking in the swimming pool door, prepping a bag or getting the bike out the door.

I recently bought a Weighted Hula Hoop as Im getting a bit of a gut as well. I tried Salsa and I was like a scaffolding plank compared to others there.

For a few weeks I do a few mins in the morning in the warmth of the house and Ive noticed Im feeling a lot better now. (You get warmed up for free so the house doesnt need to be toasty in the morn anyway) A reason to get out of bed.

Its great fun and a trip down memory lane as a kid when my brothers and sisters would hula hoop for hours in the sun until we fell over from dehydration.

Progress - I went from counting to 30 spins and lots of drops to 10 mins within 2 weeks. I can do 800+ now no bother and I loose count at this stage.

So some endorphins, loosing the gut with a better self image and getting more flexible. Sweet and so so cheap. Friends give it a go when they are over and its a bit of a laugh as it takes a few days to get the technique right. See you tube.

I think Gyms dont have them as they require too much space. An ideal home exercise

The one I bought: Ive no affiliation
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002N1AX06/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

Im going to get the heaviest one soon but its probably best to start with one that isnt too heavy.

Make you own and info ... One video said at the start ... "Hi Hoopers" LOL
    http://www.hooping.org/category/hoop-making/

If you know a friendly plumber he would find it a doddle to make one and there are lots of you tube how to videos out there

Hula hoop is only for women - right?

https://youtu.be/gXVeRDcTghA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcqRPdvb18w

Happy hooper
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RJafO-BWvg

Hooping is medicine for your soul
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHNQweGRkI

Me after day 2 Hula hooping :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uue6oJ_jDns

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Hi everyone,

The following is not intended as looking for medical advice.

Any anyone who takes an antidepressant on a daily basis noticed that after a few years that their therapeutic / desirable effect has gradually worn off?

And if so....Did you change to a different antidepressant medication and did the change help to improve your mood and or stabilise your depression any?

I have been on 60mg Cymbata for the guts of 10 years but in the past six months, my depression has become much more of a problem on a daily basis. I will be pursuing counselling and CBT soon but am also considering a change in antidepressant medication to see if this can help in any way also. Over the past six months I have moved from my regular 60mg dose up to the maxamium 120mg dose but my depression continues to be quiet poor.

Just looking for anyone to share their experiences in changing their medication and if it helped.....or not?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Thanks for starting this thread and happy New Year to you and all posters

Read a January article .....

"Increasingly, evidence is emerging to support the power of immersion in cold water as a form of 'blue therapy'," says pro surfer Dr Easkey Britton, who is currently involved in a project at NUIG studying the health impacts of sea bathing. "Early preliminary findings suggest the potential mood-enhancing and stress-reducing benefits with first-time sea swimmers, as well as a heightened sense of self-awareness in a multi-sensory environment. Studies also show that cold water stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system and with long-term exposure boosts the immune system. But build up slowly so you don't shock the system and always swim safely (Irish Water Safety has great courses)."

Very relaxing soulful track

Best listened to with earphones

https://youtu.be/hYvMR4u-LEM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't even know why I'm posting this here, but I'll get it off my chest.

Another mate took his own life last night, and again someone you'd never in a million years pick to be suffering from depression or at risk of suicide.

Its so fvcking frightening how suicide can take someone without warning to family or friends.

I can't image what happened, he (Paul) must have known he'd tonnes and tonnes of friends and a loving family.

I'm so upset today. I'm due to go for a jog on the beach, its a beautiful evening and why shouldn't I. But I kinda scared that I'll just be thinking about him and upsetting myself further.

We soldiered together at home and abroad, and only last week we spoke on the anniversary of a mutual friend who had served with us. It was the usual conversation, ie the one we're all having today in work about Paul 'You'd never think he'd be one to die by suicide'.

I've had so many friends die by suicide, all soldiers (well mostly) and often wonder is it down to Larium (mosquito medication), PTSD from experiences oversea's or wtf.

I could type for another hour, sorry if this is a little disjointed.

Sorry for your loss, always a **** feeling being left behind.

But yeah having a friends and all that doesn't mean jack some times. Right now I'm going through the motions of meeting friends and stuff, sometimes I'll open up but I feel no better talking to them or doing anything else really. I'm very much on the edge the last month or two and they all want to help but there's little they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

@Makikomi My advice would be don't be scared to think about him. He was a good friend, take some time, even 20 minutes to think about him, and let the emotion flow. I found if very helpful in therapy to identify the cycle that thoughts lead to emotions which leads to actions. Take a safe space, and think about your friend (Paul), emotion will come, but don't act in a negative way afterwards, just feel the pain/the sadness and let it go. Emotions/feelings pass. Distract yourself with something positive afterwards, as a reward for not running from your fears.

I'm going through an absolute nightmare time in my personal life right now, a person dear to me is missing (mental health issues), but falling apart is not an option for me now. I have to keep moving forward one step at a time. And yes, I get hit by waves of emotion, and I don't fight them. Just don't be frightened of them; it's fear that eats the soul, nothing else. We don't analyse things too much when we are having a good time, we just go with it and enjoy it; so why would we analyse the bad times too much and give them too much importance? Life is up and down; enjoy the good. It mightn't feel like it, but facing the pain you feel about the loss of your friend is making you a stronger person. I used to pray sometimes and ask for God to give me strength to get through tough situations (I'm not especially religious!), but now I realise that tough times make you tough, not wishing for strength.

I also recommend getting in touch with a good therapist yourself, to talk about your feelings, get some advice, and maybe even deal with any lingering ptsd you may have yourself. We spend so much money on cars/rent/nights out, but neglect our mental and physical health so much. Don't scrimp on mental health is my advice to anyone. I did it for 2 years, and I'm down to once a month now, and it's the best investment I ever made.

• Advertisement

Ive been in that situation and it hurts so much. Questions in my head like "why didnt he call me?" etc... It really leaves a terrible mark on the people left behind... I'm sorry for your loss Maki, make sure to look after yourself and talk to people you trust.

Advertisement