Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

ED E wrote: »
    Could he not try to argue it down to 3 + full fine under the whole "highest points apply" bit?

No, that is only in relation to different offences at the same occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GM228 wrote: »
    No, that is only in relation to different offences at the same occasion.

That was my tongue and cheek point, what's an occasion?

This was already posted, however, i replied to the tweet due to going through a checkpoint yesterday in which all trucks were pulled and Buses waved through.

For the record i'm an ex bus driver.

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/881123573896818688

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Did they reply to you?

Autosport wrote: »
    Did they reply to you?

They have done on previous occasions, not this time as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's the deal with taking cocaine with weed?

Probably regular smoker and take coke at weekends.. It will all show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

c89fa9354617b8766a99d28f3f4f5699.png

Where to begin.....

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    c89fa9354617b8766a99d28f3f4f5699.png

Where to begin.....

Some drivers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

That trailer is empty and so might weigh under 750kg. If so a regular b licence is enough. I know a 12' x 6' livestock trailer from Ifor Williams (what I own) is around 950kg.Take away the loading ramp and the box body (possibly more than 200kg) and you have basically the trailer above.

The speed however is insane and the chance of that trailer fishtailing all over the road is fairly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Grueller wrote: »
    That trailer is empty and so might weigh under 750kg. If so a regular b licence is enough. I know a 12' x 6' livestock trailer from Ifor Williams (what I own) is around 950kg.Take away the loading ramp and the box body (possibly more than 200kg) and you have basically the trailer above.

The speed however is insane and the chance of that trailer fishtailing all over the road is fairly high.

Speculation of course, it does look long to me...

If it's a tri-axle he's going to be overweight. I've a 14ft twin axle flatbed trailer, with the sides and skids removed one can carry a few kilos on with a standard B licence. Ifor williams of course!

Many a time I've been on the motorway at 130ish and still been overtaken by a 4x4 pulling a trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Speculation of course, it does look long to me...

If it's a tri-axle he's going to be overweight. I've a 14ft twin axle flatbed trailer, with the sides and skids removed one can carry a few kilos on with a standard B licence. Ifor williams of course!

Many a time I've been on the motorway at 130ish and still been overtaken by a 4x4 pulling a trailer

It's the DGVW of the trailer and vehicle combined, not the actual weights that determine what licence is needed.Very few large pickups or vans can tow any sort of trailer on a b licence

But doing 130 with a trailer is just irresponsible in the ihighest order.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's the DGVW of the trailer and vehicle combined, not the actual weights that determine what licence is needed.Very few large pickups or vans can tow any sort of trailer on a b licence

Pickup is 2 tonne. Trailer is 750kg roughly. That's 2750. Still 750kg leeway AFAIK.
    I am open to correction though as it is a few years since I did this test.
    I think you are saying that the Dgvw of trailer at 3500kg + pickup at 2000kg =5500kg. That is over the 3500 on the b licence. That could be the case. As I say, I am rusty on all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Even if they had the correct licence, that's half the battle. Doing 150 with a trailer attached is asking for an accident.

Just checked the rsa site there, you sir are indeed correct. Humblest apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Grueller wrote: »
    That trailer is empty and so might weigh under 750kg.
    That's like saying I can drive a mini bus on a B licence if I have no passengers because it's basically just a van with seats.
    I can't, for the record. I still need a D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's not just the weight of the trailer that's the problem the speed limit for a trailer is 80km so no matter if its 3.5 ton or 350kg he's still well over the legal speed (even if he was at 120)

Artic truck is allowed do 90km though

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    It's not just the weight of the trailer that's the problem the speed limit for a trailer is 80km so no matter if its 3.5 ton or 350kg he's still well over the legal speed (even if he was at 120)

Artic truck is allowed do 90km though

Mad to think he was at near double the allowed speed.

He may as well have gone for 160.

Trucks years ago were 55mph and when they changed the km it dropped to 50mph or 80km/h.

Its just gone back to what it should have been all along.

The amount I see going around flying with trailers and not a single working light.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

It's the DGVW of the trailer and vehicle combined, not the actual weights that determine what licence is needed.

Not really. On the standard B licence you can tow a trailer as long as your combination fits into 1 of 2 categories.

1. Car ( or jeep or any LCV up to 3500kg) towing a trailer up to 750kg

or

2. Car tow a trailer that is over 750kg, so long as the entire combination is less than 3500kg.

its all here on the RSA website:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Advice-and-Checks-for-Trailers-/

A category B driving licence authorises you to drive a car, van or 4 x 4 which has a maximum mass (as specified by the manufacturer) of not more than 3,500kg and is designed and constructed to carry no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver. You may tow a trailer with a maximum mass (again as specified by the manufacturer) not greater than 750kg, or where the maximum mass is more than 750kg, the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and the trailer is not greater than 3,500kg.
    A category BE driving licence authorises you to tow a trailer where the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and trailer is greater than 3,500kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

(Joe.ie not Garda Traffic but same vein)

donegalcar.jpg

Ofc it was Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

ED E wrote: »
    (Joe.ie not Garda Traffic but same vein)

donegalcar.jpg

Ofc it was Donegal.

That actually gave me a good laugh :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yep, if you are going to be a **** by not paying for tax and insurance, at least be original.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Testacalda wrote: »
    Not really. On the standard B licence you can tow a trailer as long as your combination fits into 1 of 2 categories.

1. Car ( or jeep or any LCV up to 3500kg) towing a trailer up to 750kg

or

2. Car tow a trailer that is over 750kg, so long as the entire combination is less than 3500kg.

its all here on the RSA website:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Advice-and-Checks-for-Trailers-/

A category B driving licence authorises you to drive a car, van or 4 x 4 which has a maximum mass (as specified by the manufacturer) of not more than 3,500kg and is designed and constructed to carry no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver. You may tow a trailer with a maximum mass (again as specified by the manufacturer) not greater than 750kg, or where the maximum mass is more than 750kg, the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and the trailer is not greater than 3,500kg.
    A category BE driving licence authorises you to tow a trailer where the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and trailer is greater than 3,500kg.
    All DGVW and not actual weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I actually drove past a jeep turned on its side on the n22 dual carriageway in cork this morning. Had been carrying a trailer, and the centre road barrier was fairly smashed. Jeep and trailer got a good bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Front window tint looks very much on the limits too...
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/882157354120249347

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just outside the back of the Dail, possibly the single worst place in the country you could risk driving with your mobile in your hand, always Gardaí in the area...

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/882213564194402305

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement