Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian parent raising child as gender-neutral.

Options
  • 03-07-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭

So I just read this article from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40480386

To quote a small bit from the article...
    An eight-month old Canadian baby has been issued a health card without a gender marker, in what could be the first case in the world.
    Parent Kori Doty - a non-binary transgender person who identifies as neither male nor female - aims to allow the child to discover their own gender.
    The health card has been issued with a "U" in the space for "sex", which could be for "undetermined" or "unassigned".
    Kori Doty is fighting to omit the gender from the birth certificate.
    The parent gave birth to Searyl Atli in November at a friend's home in British Columbia. Kori Doty, who prefers to use the pronoun they, argues that a visual inspection at birth is unable to determine what gender that person will have or identify with later in life.

Before post #3 asks what's OP's opinion....

Absolutely ridiculous. The poor child. As for its mother or whatever "THEY" want to be called, well you're a fücking idiot. I sincerely hope your child is taken from you to save HIM/HER from a life of absolute fücking misery. Hey read a science book you gowl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

We live in a mad, mad world.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Its a load of bollix. All this fannying about.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I acually don't care if people want to be gender fluid and stuff
    But that **** is stupid
    It's a baby and unless it's a hamophrodife or whattever they'd be called it should be a baby boy or baby girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Its all the internet's fault.

What was so wrong with being male or female?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Whatever about being born in a test tube it's pretty simple, inny or outy. After that it's all about choice and allowing emotions swat ones views on life and how you go about your.. business..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

It's child abuse. The poor child should be taken off them before they inflict anymore misery and pain on him or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The child will probably be scared for life over this, but as long as the parents score some social points, I'm sure they are delighted and couldn't careless what damage this will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It's a load of bollocks but calls to remove the child are a bit extreme. Probably not as bad as lumbering the child with a stupid name

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Before anyone attacks OP. I'm in no way homophobic or transphobic or any kind of phobic. You can self identify as an attack helicopter for all I care, but when you start pushing you're thing onto other people, expecting people to call you by your correct pronoun of "THEY" ****ing they, well then that's a different matter, and when you start pushing it onto kids, well fück you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't understand any of this shít. If the child:
    - has a penis it's a boy
    - has a vagina it's a girl
    - has neither or both, they have a birth defect and something called ambiguous genitalia (just looked that up)

There's a reason some choices are taken away from us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Gender is a state of being, socially and culturally constructed. Gender has little to do with what's between your legs.

But society has forced heterosexuality on everyone . . .

Why is this any different?

Before anyone attacks OP. I'm in no way homophobic or transphobic or any kind of phobic. You can self identify as an attack helicopter for all I care, but when you start pushing you're thing onto other people, expecting people to call you by your correct pronoun of "THEY" ****ing they, well then that's a different matter, and when you start pushing it onto kids, well fück you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

No bother with transgender people but this child is not old enough to tell anyone that it is trans. How about you just assign the child the gender that is associated with its genitals and if the child expresses an issue with it in the future then deal with it then! Christ. I wouldn't be advocating taking the child away either, though the parent does sound like a bit of an idiot alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Person is a weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's how I feel about this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Gender: A reflection of one's self-image as relating to sexual nature. There are, in general, three genders:

1) Male
    2) Female
    3) Something you made up one day to feel speshul. E.g. "semiqueer-bi-spirit-shemale". May use made-up pronouns such as "xe", "ze", "schlee", "nflgsufgshuihousu", etc. Anyone who finds this ridiculous is a bigot and is literally Hitler.

"Can you believe that Facebook doesn't feature "transquasi-neutermale" in its gender selection?! This is making me sick. This is making it harder for me to achieve self-realization and be myself!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

gizmo81 wrote: »
    But society has forced heterosexuality on everyone
    Has it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

How dare they assume the child doesn't have a gender!

Isn't it better to raise the child as the way everyone else and let the child decide for itself?

Society has forced heterosexually on everyone.

I'm embarrassed by how fücking stupid that is. It's called evolution, that's how we got here. Millions of years of men and women fücking has got us here to where we are. You can't blame "society" Jesus F Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think you are mixing up millions of years of evolution, with modern society.

Yes, it's called compulsory heterosexuality, defined by Adrienne Rich.
    mzungu wrote: »
    Has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This kid knows more than this moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure I'd be taking the word of a poet as gospel on something like that.

Homosexuals and transexuals have been in existence since before 1869.

Senna wrote: »
    I think you are mixing up millions of years of evolution, with modern society.

You mean evolution. We wouldn't have got far if everyone was gay.

Compulsory heterosexuality is a new one on me. Congrats, you've just made me feel a little stupider, how didn't I see this before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

mzungu wrote: »
    Has it?

When adam met eve they had 2choices, screw each other or cucumber time. They choose each other. You are born with all X's or an XY your sex is genetically determined. You can scientifically test that, you can't test for gender therefore its not real.

I'm really glad I've helped widen your knowledge base, there's many books on the subject in our lovely free libraries.

You mean evolution. We wouldn't have got far if everyone was gay.

Compulsory heterosexuality is a new one on me. Congrats, you've just made me feel a little stupider, how didn't I see this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Huh?

Forced?

Huh?

I imagine its our default setting.....heterosexuality's traditional purpose is to keep the species going.

Nowadays with surrogacy, turkey basting and whatever else that goes on it is not as necessary......so i wouldnt say heterosexuality is "forced" on you by society.

I would say its the opposite.

• Advertisement

Not sure I'd be taking the word of a poet as gospel on something like that.

Not when there's a thing out there called Scence. Unless gender is debunked by science I'm probably not going to take the word of a poet on the matter.

Advertisement