Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chiefs v Lions match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

awec wrote: »
    Forwards are still carrying the team. Backs not doing much.

How it's been for every decent rugby team in history. The fatties doing the hard work while the ladies stand around fixing their hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    Based on the UR stats I'm looking at the ball seems to be going through the back line a bit more today. Is that true to say, and how has the back line gone generally?

It is going out to them more. They've mixed the good with the bad. Some poor handling errors but the back three all popping up and looking to get their hands on the ball.

Payne probably looks the most comfortable with ball in hand, looking to release people whenever he gets it but he doesn't have the pace or line breaking of the back three.

Halfbacks have been average enough. Biggar has moved it on well at times but also a couple of poor passes that have killed attacks or gone for a big looping skip to the wing which has eroded any overlap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Buer wrote: »
    Ah he's belting over the gain line every single time. You're being incredibly harsh on him. I don't think he has failed to make at least a couple of yards on any carry. He could have moved it on once or twice but that doesn't take away from him having a good game.

I think you have to factor in the level of opposition though. He's not going to be able to do this in the tests. He needs to show more subtlety to his game.

shuffol wrote: »
    I think you have to factor in the level of opposition though. He's not going to be able to do this in the tests. He needs to show more subtlety to his game.

As I said in my other post, this is the weakest team they'll face outside of the NZ Barbarians. Regardless, he's getting a good run out and looking sharp, showing good footwork and is looking more eager to pass although still lacking in that regard compared to Faletau.

Whatever way you look at it though, his chances have been enhanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Daly has been quite poor again. Don't think he can be involved this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Laidlaw is awful

Daly has been quite poor again. Don't think he can be involved this weekend

The only way he is at 23 is if Gatland reckons there's any chance it could be a tight game in the last 15 minutes and a long range kicker could be the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd have him on the bench for the tests.

He's been off form for months at this stage but this tour has reinvigorated him. Bodes well for next season for Ulster and Ireland.

I really like Lawes aswell though - either himself or Iain are great options to bring off the bench (assuming Itoje and Kruis the Lions 2nd rows). AWJ seems kinda player you need to either start or not have in the 23

Synode wrote: »
    Laidlaw is awful

Not sure what Laidlaw has done to posters on this forum, but he's been quite good today so this is a particularly surprising post!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Henshaw won 2 turnovers in that series of play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Buer wrote: »
    The only way he is at 23 is if Gatland reckons there's any chance it could be a tight game in the last 15 minutes and a long range kicker could be the difference.

Does he have much more range than Halfpenny though, who is well capable of knocking them over from inside his own half?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Laidlaw is awful

Zombie post, this must be from every rugby season over the last 4!

Not sure what Laidlaw has done to posters on this forum, but he's been quite good today so this is a particularly surprising post!

He's ridiculously slow to rucks. He also put a Garryown up about 5 minutes ago that went about 5 meters when he could have put it wide through the hands into space

Don't think Laidlaw has been particularly good but probably his best showing. Still very slow and that up and under was poor, alright. Nice break there though.

He's ridiculously slow to rucks. He also put a Garryown up about 5 minutes ago that went about 5 meters when he could have put it wide through the hands into space

He hasn't been slow at all today. Sometimes he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's a case of when he's not bad he can still be so much better. He's so slow at the back of rucks to get the ball out, the defensive line is always ready by the time whatever 10 he's playing with gets the ball. He has a habit when boxkicking of tackling an additional step or two rather than a step and kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He also put a Garryown up about 5 minutes ago that went about 5 meters when he could have put it wide through the hands into space

Who decides what to do though? Would he be getting a call from the 10?

Watching with no sound at work, and have no idea what all this biffo is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    How it's been for every decent rugby team in history. The fatties doing the hard work while the ladies stand around fixing their hair.

Fatties just borrowed the backs handbags.

razorblunt wrote: »
    It's a case of when he's not bad he can still be so much better. He's so slow at the back of rucks to get the ball out, the defensive line is always ready by the time whatever 10 he's playing with gets the ball. He has a habit when boxkicking of tackling an additional step or two rather than a step and kick.

More like a case of people deciding how good his performance is going to be before they watch it. Just one of those players that people dislike. (Based mostly I'd imagine on some really terrible form from him)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Ah, Best was going to score that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Another penalty try, ref up there with the most tries for the Lions.

There's a penalty try for Basil3 :D

Boring but effective.

Shame Henderson got held up. Deserves a try for the amount of work he done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭testtech05

Does Henderson being left on and AWJ coming on for Lawes hint @ Lawes on the bench for the weekend? (not watching the game so apologies if he was injured or anything going off.)

testtech05 wrote: »
    Does Henderson being left on and AWJ coming on for Lawes hint @ Lawes on the bench for the weekend? (not watching the game so apologies if he was injured or anything going off.)

Lawes looks like he's possibly concussed again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

More like a case of people deciding how good his performance is going to be before they watch it. Just one of those players that people dislike. (Based mostly I'd imagine on some really terrible form from him)

Not sure that's fair. To be honest, I've always quite liked Laidlaw but now that he's on "my" team I find him very ponderous, which is fine a lot of the time but off multi-phase in their 22 it leads to easy defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

testtech05 wrote: »

Pretty sure he is keeping Hill fresh for the tests.

Would not read into the sub though as I believe it was due to a HIA on Lawes.

I don't dislike Laidlaw at all. Just think he's poor for the most part but I accept he does have some good games

• Advertisement

Should have been a penalty for clearing Biggar out beyond the ruck and dumping him.

Advertisement