Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chiefs v Lions match thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

A lot of guys at least made a case for themselves for the second test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Buer wrote: »
    It's not the Barbarians. They've a 3 test match series starting in 4 days in which some of these guys might have to play. Job done, get off the field.

He was talking about Biggar about 5 mins earlier. There was about a 3 man overlap out wide but he kicked it to the Chiefs fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Game sort of fizzled out. Even before Nowell's second try, you got the impression that the Chiefs had lost the stomach for the fight and it was all a little flat.

Forwards put down the ground work for the game in the first 50 minutes. They were shagged after that though. Henderson and Stander had bit opening halves but relatively quiet after that. Doubt they had much left in the legs.

Credit to guys like Cole, Haskell and Tipuric. Probably bottom of the pecking order but they're the guys who were really emptying the tank in the closing stages and fighting for every ball.

The 23 jersey is now the only real mystery ahead of the test, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Williams, Payne, Nowell and Henderson did their chances no harm. The team for Saturday was set before today, but going forward they could sneak in.

Pretty disappointed with Henshaw, he just hasn't got going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

Game sort of fizzled out. Even before Nowell's second try, you got the impression that the Chiefs had lost the stomach for the fight and it was all a little flat.

Forwards put down the ground work for the game in the first 50 minutes. They were shagged after that though. Henderson and Stander had bit opening halves but relatively quiet after that. Doubt they had much left in the legs.

Credit to guys like Cole, Haskell and Tipuric. Probably bottom of the pecking order but they're the guys who were really emptying the tank in the closing stages and fighting for every ball.

It was a great show by the Lions, But they looked liked they were running on empty again in the closing against the mid week specials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

Williams, Payne, Nowell and Henderson did their chances no harm. The team for Saturday was set before today, but going forward they could sneak in.

Pretty disappointed with Henshaw, he just hasn't got going at all.

unlike those mentioned, Henshaw didn't inject himself into key attacks when he should've.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yep, in fairness to Haskell, he went well today, he's been pretty anonymous so far but he's taking one for the team right now and credit where it's due.

Tipuric I feel might be most hard done by out of all of them, it should really be between him and SOB for the 7 jersey. Warburton shouldn't event be factored in.

Big impact is that this will galvanise the squad. Not many of these guys are going to be involved next week but they'll get a feel good factor and momentum into the camp. It's going to be of benefit when the midweek lads are going into training on Thursday with a spring in their step, wanting to lift the test players. Big benefit to them.

So, in conclusion, 3-0 NZ.

laurie88 wrote: »
    unlike those mentioned, Henshaw didn't inject himself into key attacks when he should've.

Well, he did try once and had a very likely try but Seymour ran straight across him, ignoring his line for a pass and then f*cked it at Payne's knees.

But, no, not a particularly impressive showing from him. Was average in a back line where others put their hands up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thought Henshaw was quite decent tbh. Too late for the first test now though. He needed that sort of game against the Blues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Some cracking tries there, especially Nowell's 2nd. That'll be doing the rounds now.

Very disappointed Russell didn't get on. Couldn't understand that at all, poor form.

Well, after all the kerfuffle 5 of the 6 call ups made no appearance and, to my mind, are still not Lions.

.ak wrote: »
    Some cracking tries there, especially Nowell's 2nd. That'll be doing the rounds now.

Very disappointed Russell didn't get on. Couldn't understand that at all, poor form.

They're there as cover, nothing more. If there were no injury concerns, they didn't feature. I wouldn't be surprised if they're released now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I would have liked G Davies to come in because he's just better than Laidlaw, but in general, I'm glad the emergency cover was treated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

They're there as cover, nothing more. If there were no injury concerns, they didn't feature. I wouldn't be surprised if they're released now.

Why would they be released now when there is one more midweek game? Can't see how it would make sense to release them until at least after that, otherwise you are again in a situation that, by definition, some players involved in the match day 23 midweek are also involved in the following test. And that's without any injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why would they be released now when there is one more midweek game?

Because Wales and Scotland are still touring I guess?

They'll be need next week for sure

Why would they be released now when there is one more midweek game? Can't see how it would make sense to release them until at least after that, otherwise you are again in a situation that, by definition, some players involved in the match day 23 midweek are also involved in the following test. And that's without any injuries.

I would imagine that Gatland will be happier to give a little bit of game time to some of his subs come next week. The call ups were with this game in mind.

Come next week, we could have guys like Warburton, Webb and Owens who have had very little game time in the previous two weeks and could do with 20 minutes against the Hurricanes.

If you look at the 2013 tour, they went with the ridiculous call ups in the final game before the tests (Wade, Shane Williams, Billy Twelvetrees) but then, for the last midweek game which was between the first and second test, they started 5 of the 8 subs from the first test. The only guys who didn't start that game were Vunipola, Parling and Youngs which was because they were pencilled in to start the second test against Australia (and Youngs still benched against the Rebels).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Henshaw is a fantastic competitor but his rugby IQ has shown to be lacking on this tour, a bit like Madigan tbh.

Payne is a very underrated player, big fan. Hope he's not hurt going off there.

Any update on him? Presume it was HIA?

Today he showed why he's better suited to 13 than 15 for me. Looks great at 15 for Ulster but I think he struggles there against tougher oppo.

I think that's silly. There's going to be injuries, it's rugby. Russell specifically needs to be involved. Sexton/Farrell are so important, and injury to either of them means biggar on the bench. If I was coach I would've used that opportunity to see what Russell could do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think that's silly. There's going to be injuries, it's rugby. Russell specifically needs to be involved. Sexton/Farrell are so important, and injury to either of them means biggar on the bench. If I was coach I would've used that opportunity to see what Russell could do.

Perhaps this was the compromise PR wise to make these call-ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Makes complete sense not to take time to see what Russell could do. He's arrived a couple of days before the match. Why would you spend time working with him intensively when you're staring down the barrel of the biggest game of your coaching career a couple of days later? I'd imagine none of the guys who were brought in had much idea of anything the Lions are going to try to do. I'd be surprised if they spent much time on the Chiefs game at all.

The chances that he'll be needed in a test match are very small. It'd require an injury to both Sexton and Farrell to just get him into the 23 and then another to Biggar during a match to get him onto the pitch. It's not exactly a big risk to take.

There will need to be two injuries for Finn Russell to even make the bench and I genuinely think there's a chance that Gatland would get on the phone to George Ford before he'd pick Russell.

These lads weren't called up as cover for the test team. They were called up so potential test players wouldn't be at risk of being called into action 4 days out from the first test. They're seat fillers for a night. There's zero consideration of them being involved in a test match. Russell's the biggest name of those called up but I don't think he's being treated any differently and the lack of a any game time this morning seemed to confirm that.

I don't think they'll be released now but I do think they'll be released after the Hurricanes game. They've no business hanging around the squad after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I would imagine that Gatland will be happier to give a little bit of game time to some of his subs come next week. The call ups were with this game in mind.

Come next week, we could have guys like Warburton, Webb and Owens who have had very little game time in the previous two weeks and could do with 20 minutes against the Hurricanes.

If you look at the 2013 tour, they went with the ridiculous call ups in the final game before the tests (Wade, Shane Williams, Billy Twelvetrees) but then, for the last midweek game which was between the first and second test, they started 5 of the 8 subs from the first test. The only guys who didn't start that game were Vunipola, Parling and Youngs which was because they were pencilled in to start the second test against Australia (and Youngs still benched against the Rebels).

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense re those who might need game time, but still - game time 4 days before playing the all blacks? I'm not sure these kinds of things can be squeezed in like that. One weeks rest is surely a minimum at this level.

This game reinforced my opinion that Heaslip is a big loss to the tour. He's got the best hands of any of the backrows in contention for the Lions and Tipurics steal and release for Nowell's try showed how damaging the Lions can be when the ball is moved wide with pace and accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

This game reinforced my opinion that Heaslip is a big loss to the tour. He's got the best hands of any of the backrows in contention for the Lions and Tipurics steal and release for Nowell's try showed how damaging the Lions can be when the ball is moved wide with pace and accuracy.

Nah, I don't think he's missed at all.

Vunipola is definitely the big loss, was guaranteed to cause havoc.

But Faletau, SOB and POM (he's shown great handling skills actually) are going well.

Strangely enough, if Heaslip had been fit, I think Stander would be in the 23 on Saturday.

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think you spelled Vunipola wrong.

awec wrote: »
    I think you spelled Vunipola wrong.

Absolutely, he would be nailed on starter given Moriarty's injury and Stander / Warbs failing to find any form.

But in a chopping and changing lineup that is showing unwillingness to play the ball through the hands a versatile workhorse like Heaslip would be massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

You don't think Stander has found any form? I think you're letting your own bias get in the way there

Advertisement