Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championships 2017 - Read Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'll be surprised is he misses a game and even more amazed if he misses more.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:
    I'll be surprised is he misses a game and even more amazed if he misses more.

Quick someone start a poll thread titled

"Will Jayop be surprised or amazed?"

Stoner wrote: »
    Quick someone start a poll thread titled

"Will Jayop be surprised or amazed?"

Or not surprised at all when he doesn't get a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

ixus wrote: »
    Just seen it. While the act is pretty tame, the intention of intimidating the official is high end. If that happened in rugby (where the GAA should model itself on respect for officials), the incident would be dealt with severely.

Expect Ciaran Whelan to greet his teeth and brush it off tomorrow night.[/quote

Tomos O Se will probably describe it as
    "Ah sure look it I suppose it was just Diarmuid being Diarmuid, I don't think there was any malice in it. He's a passionate guy who plays on the edge."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

C__MC wrote: »
    ixus wrote: »
    Just seen it. While the act is pretty tame, the intention of intimidating the official is high end. If that happened in rugby (where the GAA should model itself on respect for officials), the incident would be dealt with severely.

Expect Ciaran Whelan to greet his teeth and brush it off tomorrow night.[/quote

Tomos O Se will probably describe it as
    "Ah sure look it I suppose it was just Diarmuid being Diarmuid, I don't think there was any malice in it. He's a passionate guy who plays on the edge."

He's a lovely fella. I know him well.
    He's not into fast cars or women

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ah now. If that was the reason, why wouldn't he bring the referee's attention to the fact that Connolly grabbed him? .

He didn't grab him, you also said he wasn't targeted, seconds before he had three Carlow men dragging him over the sideline one had him by the neck. He was also floored in the first half off the ball. Apart from the dig he got it didn't seem to be excessive, he wasn't being dragged excessively, he should be well able for it. I'm not making a case for him being targeted, more a case against your assessment of the situation, possibly seen on the TV?

I agree he should get a ban and might do so.

The linesman didn't seem to know how to handle the flare up. He did appear to behave like he wanted this to blow over.
    After he sent Murphy off he spent considerable time with his arm on the shoulders of the Carlow management team talking to them, it was all a bit strange. I don't know what his motivation was to give the decision one way or the other but I'd be very surprised if he makes a meal of it.

If Connelly gets off, i think it will because of the linesman's report on it, he's the key to this. But from where I was watching Connelly might be in hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I've no doubt Brannigan deliberately gave the wrong call in order to annoy him, but he can't be pushing linesmen, no matter what sort of fkers they are.

I was right in line with it.....it did touch Cooper in the air and the correct decision was a sideline ball to Carlow. Also, Brannigan looked to the ref for guidance and the ref pointed Carlow ball. The decision was made for him.

FWIW Connolly should get a holiday given the precedence but i do lament the fact that the entire Carlow team were there to get him sent off. Three of them accosted him because he's Dermot Connolly. The Maor Foirne leapt out of his skin with excitement when Connolly touched the linesmen. He had to put up with **** the entire game too. **** i'd lose the plot eventually if i was him. Not that Dublin are immune from this stuff either.....Cooper got the Carlow lad the line by constantly pushing him looking for a reaction. Disgustingly methodical because he knew he was on a yellow.

I'd love to see a stance taken in the GAA to cut this **** out. A personal conviction but i find it far more offensive than the heat of the moment stuff. I kind of understand that given the frequency of the wind ups.

If Connelly gets off it down to the fact he's a dub and nothing else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Stoner wrote: »
    He didn't grab him, you also said he wasn't targeted, seconds before he had three Carlow men dragging him over the sideline one had him by the neck. He was also floored in the first half off the ball. Apart from the dig he got it didn't seem to be excessive, he wasn't being dragged excessively, he should be well able for it. I'm not making a case for him being targeted, more a case against your assessment of the situation, possibly seen on the TV?

I agree he should get a ban and might do so.

The linesman didn't seem to know how to handle the flare up. He did appear to behave like he wanted this to blow over.
    After he sent Murphy off he spent considerable time with his arm on the shoulders of the Carlow management team talking to them, it was all a bit strange. I don't know what his motivation was to give the decision one way or the other but I'd be very surprised if he makes a meal of it.

If Connelly gets off, i think it will because of the linesman's report on it, he's the key to this. But from where I was watching Connelly might be in hot water.

Alright, Connolly pushed him then. Still a 12 week ban.
    And here's the video footage of the incident:
    https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/871091238480609280
    I don't see any of the Carlow players grabbing him round the neck (though the incident does go behind the Carlow maor foirne). I see Connolly refusing to give the ball back to the Carlow players despite it (correctly according to corny above) being a Carlow sideline.

I don't think the linesman gives a report. Regardless, the video is there. He physically interfered with the linesman. For once, the GAA's rules are black and white on the issue and there is clear, recent precedent. It'll be a complete joke of a situation if he doesn't receive the same ban as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

corny wrote: »
    I was right in line with it.....it did touch Cooper in the air and the correct decision was a sideline ball to Carlow. Also, Brannigan looked to the ref for guidance and the ref pointed Carlow ball. The decision was made for him.

FWIW Connolly should get a holiday given the precedence but i do lament the fact that the entire Carlow team were there to get him sent off. Three of them accosted him because he's Dermot Connolly. The Maor Foirne leapt out of his skin with excitement when Connolly touched the linesmen. He had to put up with **** the entire game too. **** i'd lose the plot eventually if i was him. Not that Dublin are immune from this stuff either.....Cooper got the Carlow lad the line by constantly pushing him looking for a reaction. Disgustingly methodical because he knew he was on a yellow.

I'd love to see a stance taken in the GAA to cut this **** out. A personal conviction but i find it far more offensive than the heat of the moment stuff. I kind of understand that given the frequency of the wind ups.

Always surprises me how little attention Cooper draws in comparison to Keegan or McMahon. He is sly as fk and keeps a low profile i guess. He drew a black card/removal out of Seamus O'Shea before too. It's an art I guess but how long do you get away with it before a ref pics up and becomes immune to your cries of wolf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Might have a few scoops in me, but it looks like the linesman deliberately walks into DC's hand there.

Joking aside, loved reading this thread tonight. Some beauts (heroes) about after a Dubs game. Cant imagine what it feels like to be you.

:D:D

xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

12 week ban for Connolly means he may not feature again this year. If they make the final and bring him back it will be a kick in the hole for whoever takes his place between now and then, and he'd lack match sharpness anyway. It will be a farce if they don't ban him, although nothing would surprise me given who he is and who he plays for. The GAA will not want Dublins marquee man sitting at home for the summer.

Gavin must be tearing his hair out with him at this stage. We have seen flawed geniuses in the past, but I have never seen any player let his team down so regularly with this type of behaviour, and bizarrely he seems to getting worse rather than better with age.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Might have a few scoops in me, but it looks like the linesman deliberately walks into DC's hand there.

Joking aside, loved reading this thread tonight. Some beauts (heroes) about after a Dubs game. Cant imagine what it feels like to be you.

:D:D

xoxo

Feels great.

I've been a dubs cheerleader for a fee years. The team, amazing. The management, amazing. The support, by and large amazing. Agreeing with ye about the nonsense about splitting the county in two because ye won a few all Ireland's.

All that and I'd say I'm pretty consistent, playing against a genuine contender or playing against the likes of Carlow you consistently get a crazy amount of dubious decisions that change games on your favour.

If I was a dub I'd be getting annoyed that a great sides legacy is a little sullied by it all at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Don't know if its been mentioned but the Carlow kick out strategy was a thing of beauty.

Team talk...... "Everyone stay inside the 45 and you (goalkeeper) kick it to the Dubs massed on the half way line."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Gael85

mickeyk wrote: »
    12 week ban for Connolly means he may not feature again this year. If they make the final and bring him back it will be a kick in the hole for whoever takes his place between now and then, and he'd lack match sharpness anyway. It will be a farce if they don't ban him, although nothing would surprise me given who he is and who he plays for. The GAA will not want Dublins marquee man sitting at home for the summer.

Gavin must be tearing his hair out with him at this stage. We have seen flawed geniuses in the past, but I have never seen any player let his team down so regularly with this type of behaviour, and bizarrely he seems to getting worse rather than better with age.

I think the rules apply differently for the top 4/5 teams(not just Dublin) than the rest however Diarmuid won't escape censure this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Gael85 wrote: »
    I think the rules apply differently for the top 4/5 teams(not just Dublin) than the rest however Diarmuid won't escape censure this time.

They threw the book at Paul Galvin when he knocked a notebook out of paddy Russell's hand. He played for a top team and got no special treatment.

You would imagine there will be no option but to ban him alright. He will be a massive loss to Dublin come QF and SF.

They threw the book at Paul Galvin when he knocked a notebook out of paddy Russell's hand. He played for a top team and got no special treatment.

You would imagine there will be no option but to ban him alright. He will be a massive loss to Dublin come QF and SF.

He's be back for the semi. If the ban is from today.

That one incident which was 11 years when match bans didn't apply. Kerry and Mayo players have gotten away with bans along with Dublin over the years

Jayop wrote: »
    He's be back for the semi. If the ban is from today.

What dates are semi finals? If were still in championship then can't see him featuring then as would be fairly rusty. 3 month ban would also apply for club competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That one incident which was 11 years when match bans didn't apply. Kerry and Mayo players have gotten away with bans along with Dublin over the years

Which ones?

• Advertisement

What dates are semi finals? If were still in championship then can't see him featuring then as would be fairly rusty. 3 month ban would also apply for club competitions.

The leinster champions semi is the second one so you'd imagine the last 2 weeks in August.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Which ones?

I'm talking more about systematic fouling. Mayo and Sligo played a couple weeks and conceded same number of frees. Mayo only had 2 players booked where Sligo 5 yellow cards. Referee same to apply different rules for both teams. If was same Kerry v Clare in AI Quarter final last year Kerry commited 29 fouls and only 3 players booked. Clare committed 20 fouls and 2 players booked. Dublin get with plenty of this cynicism. I dont think Brian Fenton would have 2 received yellow cards for the Brendan Murphy fouls this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm talking more about systematic fouling. Mayo and Sligo played a couple weeks and conceded same number of frees. Mayo only had 2 players booked where Sligo 5 yellow cards. Referee same to apply different rules for both teams. If was same Kerry v Clare in AI Quarter final last year Kerry commited 29 fouls and only 3 players booked. Clare committed 20 fouls and 2 players booked. Dublin get with plenty of this cynicism. I dont think Brian Fenton would have 2 received yellow cards for the Brendan Murphy fouls this evening

You mentioned players players getting away with bans, I was hoping you would tell us who you meant.

keane2097 wrote: »
    You mentioned players players getting away with bans, I was hoping you would tell us who you meant.

Tagh Kenneally taking out Nicholas Murphy in 2009 final was prime example

I don't see any of the Carlow players grabbing him round the neck (though the incident does go behind the Carlow maor foirne). I see Connolly refusing to give the ball back to the Carlow players despite it (correctly according to corny above) being a Carlow sideline.

Well you missed that bit so. Corny posted about it 1 minutes after I did. It was all part of the one incident, no excuse for Connelly, but they were all over him. I think everyone has had enough of it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Connolly gets plenty of special treatment for sure, but so do the top players for all the top 5/6 teams. The difference with Connolly is oppositions knows that if the wind him up enough they'll get a reaction. I'm not saying it's right but Dublin have plenty of players who dole out this type of treatment to others so it definitely goes both ways. Just with Connolly he struggles to handle it mentally, particularly when he's not playing at his usual standard.

He's a smart guy. He knows you absolutely can not touch an official. You can be sure he's heard the 2 recent cases. He did it anyway and has no one to blame but himself. Whatever the Carlow players did to him beforehand deserves punishment too. And if he had reacted to them rather than the linesman he'd probably be looking at a one match ban rather than a possible 12 weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Patww79 wrote: »
    Carlow were an absolute disgrace last night. Horrible watch because of them but at least it wasn't too close in the end.
    Did you expect them to go man on man or something? Had they kept 15 men on the field, they probably would have kept the margin within 10. If they tried to play attacking football it probably would have been a 30 point loss or so.
    Remember, it's Carlow. A team that has won 2 Leinster championship games in 10 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

corny wrote: »
    Don't know if its been mentioned but the Carlow kick out strategy was a thing of beauty.

Team talk...... "Everyone stay inside the 45 and you (goalkeeper) kick it to the Dubs massed on the half way line."

Probably not too surprisingly, but it worked a treat against wexford. All their team bar the full forward line and some of the half forward line stayed inside their 45. Wexfords amazing counteraction to it was to follow their men, so Murphy had all the space between both 45s with just him and wexfords 4th choice midfielder being the only 2 players in a huge area of the field. Unbelievable really only for it was so inept to watch from wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ah supposed better teams than Carlow have stunk the place out with their defensive systems playing Dublin, I wouldn't be that hard on them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement