Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championships 2017 - Read Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If the GAA truly believe their "Give respect, get respect" mantra, then Connolly has to get a 12 week ban. He cannot complain about being targeted by the opposition in this instance. Something as simple as disputing a line ball caused him to grab hold of the linesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Jayop wrote: »
    Had the game been reffed in any way adequately they would have had a chance.

The damage limitation was by the ref on behalf of Dublin.

Bullsh1t. They hammered a team who had no ambition other than not to be hammered, playing badly.

Connolly is borderline liability at this stage, but he was right about that sideline. Brannigan shouldn't be left near a big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

If the GAA truly believe their "Give respect, get respect" mantra, then Connolly has to get a 12 week ban. He cannot complain about being targeted by the opposition in this instance. Something as simple as disputing a line ball caused him to grab hold of the linesman.

Ridiculous decision to give the line ball to Carlow and frustration overall, but still no excuse. Don't worry, he will. Might be a good thing for Dublin to be honest

Referee was poor for both teams to be fair, some mad decisions. Never rated him to be honest.

Dubs were poor but they won't worry too much, it's a win and weren't really tested. Jim found out a bit about some of his fringe players and cooper got 70 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Bullsh1t. They hammered a team who had no ambition other than not to be hammered, playing badly.

Connolly is borderline liability at this stage, but he was right about that sideline. Brannigan shouldn't be left near a big game.

What was in it at that time? 3 or 4 points? Like I said, 2 of those points were free's that should never have been given.

So then had Connolly have been sent off while it was a 1 or 2 point game then the game would not have been the foregone conclusion it was. Of course I'd still have bet everything on Dublin winning, but Carlow got screwed by the ref and his linesman and Dublin got the usual massive helping hand they always get any time they're in a spot of trouble in a game.

Ridiculous decision to give the line ball to Carlow and frustration overall, but still no excuse. Don't worry, he will. Might be a good thing for Dublin to be honest

Referee was poor for both teams to be fair, some mad decisions. Never rated him to be honest.

Dubs were poor but they won't worry too much, it's a win and weren't really tested. Jim found out a bit about some of his fringe players and cooper got 70 minutes.

Bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

blazermel wrote: »

On connolly - the tipperary goalkeeper is now serving a 12 week suspension for pushing a referee in a club game. So if Connolly is not sanctioned retrospectively for pushing the linesman tonight I lose all faith in the GAA.

Are we looking at a Paul Galvin type action and ban? Just reading about it now.

ixus wrote: »
    Wasn't as bad as what Galvin did and the fact he had a blue jersey means he'll likely escape sanction.

And even if he got a 12 week ban he'd be back for the semi final which is the next time they'll get a game.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/878913/

There's the link to the story for anyone who hasn't seen it. Now the one difference there is between the two is that the tipp lad was red carded at the time during the match which is the correct procedure according to the GAA's own set of rules.

If action isn't taken against Connolly its an absolute farce.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/878913/

There's the link to the story for anyone who hasn't seen it. Now the one difference there is between the two is that the tipp lad was red carded at the time during the match which is the correct procedure according to the GAA's own set of rules.

If action isn't taken against Connolly its an absolute farce.

You'd imagine Tipp and Davey Fitz would take action/ have something to say if there's video evidence and nothing done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

If Connolly is indeed cited in which he should be,the silver lining for him and Dublin is at least he'll be well rested too face Kerry on the third Sunday in September.

Connolly will get a ban, no doubt. And no harm given his last three performances.

He does get some nasty treatment, but his reactions are costing the team at this stage.

I've no doubt Brannigan deliberately gave the wrong call in order to annoy him, but he can't be pushing linesmen, no matter what sort of fkers they are.

Bull****.

Get the chip of your shoulder and come back to the real world. Typical anti Dublin bull****

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I've no doubt Brannigan deliberately gave the wrong call in order to annoy him, but he can't be pushing linesmen, no matter what sort of fkers they are.
    Ah now. If that was the reason, why wouldn't he bring the referee's attention to the fact that Connolly grabbed him? Surely getting the referee to send him off would annoy him even more.

Get the chip of your shoulder and come back to the real world. Typical anti Dublin bull****

Nope, claiming the ref didn't do everything for Dublin tonight is typical Dublin blinkered bull****.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

You'd imagine Tipp and Davey Fitz would take action/ have something to say if there's video evidence and nothing done.

I'm confused? The incident involved the tipp football goalkeeper not hurling.

Nope, claiming the ref didn't do everything for Dublin tonight is typical Dublin blinkered bull****.

Ref gave some soft ones, but I don't recall any player on either side lying down after a lot of tough hits. Must have been a novelty for one of your countymen :)

Ref gave some soft ones, but I don't recall any player on either side lying down after a lot of tough hits. Must have been a novelty for one of your countymen :)

I seen a Carlow man getting his hair ruffled and he stayed on his feet. Made of tough stuff down there boyo.

I'm confused? The incident involved the tipp football goalkeeper not hurling.

Aye, I was also referring to Davey's ban for his altercation & entry to pitch. If the evidence is there against Connolly and it warrants a ban but is let off, you could see some challenges for not being treated the same. I'm only spouting though as I haven't seen it.

I seen a Carlow man getting his hair ruffled and he stayed on his feet. Made of tough stuff down there boyo.

They don't have fabulous hair like in Killyclogher in fairness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Bret Hart wrote: »
    If Connolly is indeed cited in which he should be,the silver lining for him and Dublin is at least he'll be well rested too face Kerry on the third Sunday in September.

If he gets done - and i think he should - he should be cut from the panel. Why would you bother having him in the panel for the final IF they get there when other players were on the pitch or in the panel that got them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You can can call it all you like

Say its anti this and that.

You should not be allowed touch official. 6 months and that might put stop to it.

These officials give their free time. Getting no respect in GAA

Refer me back to where I said that exactly????

He was poor overall. Murphys first yellow was very soft. Manions likewise.
    Connolly should of got red. There was soft frees a plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bull****.

The team that actually tries to attack will get more frees when a referee is over picky, it's not rocket science.

Dublin were always going to win that

Refer me back to where I said that exactly????

He was poor overall. Murphys first yellow was very soft. Manions likewise.
    Connolly should of got red. There was soft frees a plenty.

You said he was poor for both teams. He wasn't. He was great for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You should not be allowed touch official. 6 months and that might put stop to it.

In fairness, it's not like Mr Connolly has a checkered history or anything..
    If the cccccc don't throw the book at him given the bans to Davey and the Tipp lad, then fvck me lads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    Ref gave some soft ones, but I don't recall any player on either side lying down after a lot of tough hits. Must have been a novelty for one of your countymen

TBH a couple of the Carlow lads went down easy enough, before you have a go at me over it I think is was fairly understandable.

Any breaks they got were from behind their midfield, most of their players were behind them, they had one option up front and he wasn't exactly Mr mobile. Their big target man at corner forward spent most of the evening on his own line or tracking Manion.

By the time the Carlow players had worked the ball into the scoring zone they were knackered and there was nothing on for them, no support.

Drawing the free and getting a quick breather in the process was the correct footballing decision IMO.

Just seen it. While the act is pretty tame, the intention of intimidating the official is high end. If that happened in rugby (where the GAA should model itself on respect for officials), the incident would be dealt with severely.

Expect Ciaran Whelan to greet his teeth and brush it off tomorrow night.

In fairness, it's not like Mr Connolly has a checkered history or anything..
    If the cccccc don't throw the book at him given the bans to Davey and the Tipp lad, then fvck me lads.

What did McGeeney get again for saying something to the linesman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

What did McGeeney get again for saying something to the linesman?

12 weeks which is what DC will get

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement