Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Options

Comments

I would have thought the next obvious attack in this part of the world would be England again, but not in some area of high alert like London but a smaller town, possibly more northern, a Doncaster or Darlington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    I don't understand. The poll is the same, the pollster (me) has not changed it, and I mentioned Omagh because it was a serious terror attack.

Some of your questions have ranged from bizarre to extremely worrying.

Someone asking could there be an attack, where the best place for an attack would be, response times and ability to respond from counterterrorism units.

These questions would get you on a watch list in most countries. Actually, better safe than sorry when it comes to terrorism as I've learned from this thread, I've just reported you to the relevant authorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

Ah come on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Ah come on now!

That's exactly what a terrorist would say after he's been found out.

For all we know, you could be one of those al-qaeda lads looking for a weak spot. Or is it ISIS? I can't keep up with who the latest bogeyman is these days.

You're not making an arse of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

You're not making an arse of sense.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

I love after hours ...

OMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To be fair, you've all but asked "How do I get away with making a car bomb"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Are you six .:rolleyes: You can type very well for such a young age,Just a few improvements in other areas, but all with time. well done.

is this what grooming looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I.S use Ireland as a base, because of the difficulty in deporting them and our lax laws. this is why we will not be affected so much. Britain is a major target and it will get worse there in the coming years unfortunately. The Irish government are really in no state to say we are capable of dealing with a terrorist attack, sure look at the HSE crisis. Then you have too many unarmed gardai with them not going to the attack location because they are unarmed., and have the many thousands of unarmed gardai lately or for decades been in a training situation to deal with a major crisis like a terrorist attack even from just 4/5 Kalashnikov lunatic terrorists. Ye can't just take them down with your batton in a localized crisis.

We are wide open, I mean 'wide open' to an I.S attack. Will it happen though, well probably not seeing that they use Ireland as a base, who would blow their own base up and disrupt the underground network.

Ireland isn't the goldilocks zone of utopia, we all need to be aware of the serious possability of an attack happening. Would you rather have local armed gardai that would be fully willing to take out a few terrorists and saving possibly your family's life, or would you rather keep to the status quo and gardai afraid to interviene and no protection for themselves against persons that have body bombs and serious fire-power. Any sane person without the armoured tools would run the opposite way.

Ive seen FB friends complaining about not feeling safe BECAUSE OF the armed police presence in the UK. They think the Westminster attacker was just being chased by the police unfairly because the police are racist and he accidentally drove over those victims, and didn't really have a knife (god knows how he managed to stab a policeman to death, maybe they think that was made up by the gubbermint)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I don't see any hysteria on this thread.

I'm glad (in a bitter way too) that finally some Irish people seem to realize the threat, react, and maybe now act. We'll see how feasible the last bit is as no one in politics that I know of has had the guts yet to tackle this.

I remember commenting on Charlie Hebdo and later Bataclan, and even Nice, and the burkini debacle on here, it felt like people were so naive on here, so vulnerable.

Because I'm French I guess, even though I don't live there, I had all this experience of the news over there, and the general feel of the place (from trips over), feedback from family... I have family in Paris. I was in France when Nice happened, my uncle and aunt live there, my cousins were visiting with their kids for 14th July... it's easier to "get it" when you're worried about real people.

There was this whole dread going on over there, this realization that anyone was at risk, even little kiddies in buggies, or even that pregnant woman hanging off the window to try and escape the Bataclan, and yet it seemed that Irish people were very supportive, very empathetic, but from a little safe bubble where "it could never happen to us".

People on this thread don't seem hysterical to me, they just seem to have copped on ; the sooner more people do, and some politicians decide to take it on, the less probability something will happen.

Of course we can't prevent all and any attack with certainty, but the lesser the chance the better right ?
    I stand with the Irish people on this, this Island is not for Islamism. Time to stand up to them. We like things the way it is, we don't want it here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Irish neutrality is the biggest myth going. Shanon has served as a vital American strategic military asset since 2011 transporting heavy weaponry/troops to Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention their rendition flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ive seen FB friends complaining about not feeling safe BECAUSE OF the armed police presence in the UK. They think the Westminster attacker was just being chased by the police unfairly because the police are racist and he accidentally drove over those victims, and didn't really have a knife (god knows how he managed to stab a policeman to death, maybe they think that was made up by the gubbermint)

what.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I suppose, because we are neutral and all that, we would be less of a target? Would I be right in saying that? And also, where would be the most likely place for them to attack in Ireland?

Ireland is not a neutral country. Dublin would be most likely to be hit. Would be easy enough to get a lorry up Grafton Street, would be carnage on a busy day. Or for a bomb, outside Croke Park/Aviva on match day/concert day. We are extremely lax in Ireland. I went to the home Bosnia game in the Aviva a few days after the Paris attacks, went straight from work, so had a backpack. Security didn't even ask me to open it. Could have been smuggling beer, fireworks, or something more sinister in, but they didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ireland is not a neutral country. Dublin would be most likely to be hit. Would be easy enough to get a lorry up Grafton Street, would be carnage on a busy day. Or for a bomb, outside Croke Park/Aviva on match day/concert day. We are extremely lax in Ireland. I went to the home Bosnia game in the Aviva a few days after the Paris attacks, went straight from work, so had a backpack. Security didn't even ask me to open it. Could have been smuggling beer, fireworks, or something more sinister in, but they didn't care.
    So why WERENT you smuggling beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Anything could happen

Will a so-called terror attack happen in Ireland

The answer is probably yes

The way we are currently going more and more people who could be provoked to commit such an attack are moving legally and illegally to Europe

The countries that these people come from or originate from are doing nothing but having high birthrates

There's ​no such thing as Ireland anymore in that sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is estimated, going from various figures online, that around 70,000 muslims live here in Ireland. The vast majority of them are more well educated than the general Irish population and are in employment. Having a job these days will make you more likely not to become a criminal here in the long term. I wouldn't say that a large proportion of those muslims living here will be influenced by IS at all.

They could say to their friends and others that it is very dangerous to be in environments like the Middle East where IS are in operation.

You would have to be extremely careful to openly talk about a possible terror attack happening in Ireland. It is not an easy subject for people here or outside of boards to talk about it when it comes up for discussion. It is a highly charged conversation to discuss openly among other people as they could be upset because it can be something that affect them in a big way from various IS attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I stand with the Irish people on this, this Island is not for Islamism. Time to stand up to them. We like things the way it is, we don't want it here.

Good to see you've been round to everyone and made sure they agreed with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Manny89

Good to see you've been round to everyone and made sure they agreed with you.

So Ireland is all for Islamism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It is estimated, going from various figures online, that around 70,000 muslims live here in Ireland. The vast majority of them are more well educated than the general Irish population and are in employment. Having a job these days will make you more likely not to become a criminal here in the long term. I wouldn't say that a large proportion of those muslims living here will be influenced by IS at all.

They could say to their friends and others that it is very dangerous to be in environments like the Middle East where IS are in operation.

You would have to be extremely careful to openly talk about a possible terror attack happening in Ireland. It is not an easy subject for people here or outside of boards to talk about it when it comes up for discussion. It is a highly charged conversation to discuss openly among other people as they could be upset because it can be something that affect them in a big way from various IS attacks.

I get your point, but I also think that it's not the solution to avoid the subject at all, or even to adopt a "I really don't want to upset you but" attitude.
    With due respect, the few friends I have who happen to be Muslim would also be highly educated, and I would find that they are all very much ready to talk about these things. The bottom line being that we agree the minority committing terror acts are nutcases, and that Islam as practiced by these friends is peaceful for all and great for them.

Tiptoeing around these conversations would be the equivalent of tiptoeing around conversations about the Catholic Church involvement in molestation, abuse, mistreatment and cover ups with Catholic friends.

My guts tell me it's really really wrong to avoid these topics at all, better to have it out in the open.

Now of course, I'm in contact through work with a young girl who may or may not have witnessed horrible things in Syria, and I'm not going to jump in and ask blunt questions. You don't want to bring up traumatic memories, but if it's a general, philosophical conversation, I think most educated Muslims will be willing to engage. That's just my experience.

The other thing is that while up to now we may have had a selection of the more educated, genuine refugees, with increased influx, we are likely to meet larger numbers of less educated, angrier people.
    Just a question of numbers really.

And that's why a few of us are ringing alarm bells at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Manny89 wrote: »
    So Ireland is all for Islamism?

If they drive up the price of lamb through increased demand....I'm all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I see that my comment was removed from page 2, I wonder why that was. I was never notified as to why it was removed.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Irish neutrality is the biggest myth going. Shanon has served as a vital American strategic military asset since 2011 transporting heavy weaponry/troops to Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention their rendition flights.
    It really isn't. Shannon is a glorified fuel stop, nothing more. Most US planes have the range these days to fly onto/from bases in the UK and Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

flazio wrote: »
    In my opinion, of course an attack could happen here but in reality, what would it achieve?
    There is very little media coverage here so it's unlikely to be headline news across CNN, BBC World News, Euronews etc. Therefore no one outside of Ireland would actually notice, defeating the purpose So called Islamic State would be looking for.

WTF. Did you just wake up from the 1950s ?

Any islamist attack in the Western world brings coverage.
    And especially so if it happened for the first time in a country not yet attacked.
    Also amount of coverage would depend on numbers killed.

The world is a small place and SKY, CNN, etc could have crews here in hours with wall to wall coverage.
    I do not fear any immigrants or refugees because they might be terrorists.

Shure aren't you great.
    That's like saying back in the 80s and 90s every Irish immigrant to other countries should be shunned because they could be IRA, or any Catalan Spainard should be kicked out because they could be ETA. Sounds ridiculous because it is.

Actually look to your above first paragraph for definition of ridiculous. :rolleyes:
    Alpha_zero wrote: »

Ireland was never truly neutral.
    See how we repatriated Allied airmen during WWII.
    Actually Switzerland and Sweden weren't really neutral for that matter either.

Ever check out the backgrounds of the 911 attackers ?
    And Jihadi John had a second class honours degree in IT and business.

BTW it's their kids we really need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

70,000 Muslims and 122,000 Poles.

I say you can multiply that figure by few notches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

70,000 Muslims and 122,000 Poles.

I say you can multiply that figure by few notches.

What the hell have the polls got to do with this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Luggnuts wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself why terrorist attacks occur in the countries that they do.

Let's look at the countries and what they have in common:
    United States
    Canada
    Great Britain
    France
    Spain
    Germany
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Russia
    Philippines
    Australia
    (and Italy has been threatened)
    Kenya
    Tanzania
    Uganda
    Cameroon
    Nigeria
    India
    Burkina Faso
    Ivory Coast
    Then there is attacks in Muslim or majority-Muslim countries.
    Morocco
    Mali
    Turkey (before it was involved in the Syrian war)
    Bangladesh
    Niger
    Indonesia
    Tunisia
    Algeria
    Egypt
    Jordan
    Iran (before it was involved in the Syrian war)
    Lebanon
    Kuwait
    Saudi Arabia
    Yemen
    Malaysia
    Chad
    Luggnuts wrote: »
    And I'm not talking about the silly "they hate freedom" nonsense. Why would a terrorist attack occur in Ireland?

I think it's rather a case of "Why not?"

These are reasons why an attack may be less likely, but it doesn't make it impossible. The fact is,some of the things about the Jihadi attacks defy logic, so trying to nail down a reason why we will be immune doesn't work. Some of the London bombers had jobs, were educated and seemed-on the surface anyway-to be reasonably well integrated. Some were converts.
    I doubt that we'll be attacked by IS as such, but Jihadism is like a virus now,it requires no real network, no real affiliation. All it requires is one discontented and angry man on his computer assimilating the lies from YouTube and Jihadism has arrived.
    Surely the best people to pay attention to are Muslims and two Imams have said that there are people with extremist opinions here. I'd listen to them before anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

pilly wrote: »
    What the hell have the polls got to do with this thread?

I guess to see if People think a attack will happen or not.;)

• Advertisement

‘SMASH HIS HEAD with a rock, or slaughter him with a knife, or run him over with your car, or throw him down from a high place or choke him, or poison him’.

This is the advice given by ISIS spokesman Abu Mohamed al Adnani in 2014 to would-be sympathisers of Islamic State throughout the world – especially within the US and European Union

The Stockholm attack is very significant in that Sweden is – like Ireland – a neutral country that had previously had a low terror threat assessment.

Ireland currently fits that security profile as Europe’s weakest link in terms of counter terrorism awareness, preparedness and training.

The Garda representative associations have unanimously stated that their rank and file members have received no training for such eventualities and that they are literally ‘in the dark’ in relation to the terror threat here.

Compared to other jurisdictions in Europe, Irish citizens are the least well informed in terms of the current evolving and emerging terror threat and the appropriate responses to it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/terrorist-attack-ireland-unprepared-tom-clonan-3345776-Apr2017/

Well that's what Tom Clonan of the journal thinks, he must have reading this thread here before he wrote the piece :):D

Advertisement