Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

OK, everyone needs to keep a cool head here. This discussion has gone from A to Z in the space of a day.

I'm just very curious about the whole case.

How were those q's stupid? It's mere curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    OK, everyone needs to keep a cool head here. This discussion has gone from A to Z in the space of a day.

I'm just very curious about the whole case.

Then read up about it and stop picking everyones explanation of the facts(well known) apart.....good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

We dont need IS, we have our own gangs in this country as is providing all the terror we need.
    dublin is full of junkies, homeless people and thieves.
    The odds are if IS planned something for dublin , they would be robbed on their way to execute that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We dont need IS, we have our own gangs in this country as is providing all the terror we need.
    The odds are if IS planned something for dublin , they would be robbed on their way to execute that plan.

Lol.

Some more contention for the thread.

An ISIS suspect coming to attack would be show by the Kinahans thinking it was a Hutch import. :cool::p

• Advertisement

Because we're neutral, I think an attack would be less likely.

Does anyone agree/disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Danzy wrote: »
    Not very likely, given how heavily infiltrated they are, same as back then, and especially the Omagh team.

Nor is there an appetite for it, even in dissident circles, the big bomb idea ended with Omagh.

It's an interesting topic that should probably have its own thread.

Wasn't there a large stockpile of fertiliser seized from a remote farm only last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It's an interesting topic that should probably have its own thread.

Wasn't there a large stockpile of fertiliser seized from a remote farm only last year?

Surly it's acceptable for a farmer to have fertiliser??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Surly it's acceptable for a farmer to have fertiliser??? :pac:

It was a wind farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Neutral like Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I'm not arsed, and if the OECD stats are from the AGS, I wouldn't trust them.

Commonsense suggests we are much higher, unfortunately.

But, hey, never mind, youse got your pay increase.
    They're not, I didn't I don't work for them I work for a bank but hey it suits your conspiracy so you wont believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I live in a very rural part of Ireland but would be in Dublin about three times a year for varying reasons and I have to say it's one thing that always comes into the back of mind when I'm up there that if Ireland is to be a target by IS it would be in Dublin, so I'm never really comfortable in the city and always glad to get back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

GoneHome wrote: »
    I live in a very rural part of Ireland but would be in Dublin about three times a year for varying reasons and I have to say it's one thing that always comes into the back of mind when I'm up there that if Ireland is to be a target by IS it would be in Dublin, so I'm never really comfortable in the city and always glad to get back home.

Definitely, airport large international sporting event or a high profile conference. The organisations would be media savey homework done and looking for maximum exposure. No point in aiming for anywhere else in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Anything is possible, you have no idea what goes on in some people's heads.
    All it takes is something to tip them over the edge and who knows what could happen.
    It could be a lone wolf scenario or an "organised" group.
    As for being neutral, yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I.S use Ireland as a base, because of the difficulty in deporting them and our lax laws. this is why we will not be affected so much. Britain is a major target and it will get worse there in the coming years unfortunately. The Irish government are really in no state to say we are capable of dealing with a terrorist attack, sure look at the HSE crisis. Then you have too many unarmed gardai with them not going to the attack location because they are unarmed., and have the many thousands of unarmed gardai lately or for decades been in a training situation to deal with a major crisis like a terrorist attack even from just 4/5 Kalashnikov lunatic terrorists. Ye can't just take them down with your batton in a localized crisis.

We are wide open, I mean 'wide open' to an I.S attack. Will it happen though, well probably not seeing that they use Ireland as a base, who would blow their own base up and disrupt the underground network.

Ireland isn't the goldilocks zone of utopia, we all need to be aware of the serious possability of an attack happening. Would you rather have local armed gardai that would be fully willing to take out a few terrorists and saving possibly your family's life, or would you rather keep to the status quo and gardai afraid to interviene and no protection for themselves against persons that have body bombs and serious fire-power. Any sane person without the armoured tools would run the opposite way.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is a very difficult question to answer for me wholeheartedly because one has to do rigorous research of well documented facts on the subject & also avoid looking at internet conspiracy theories to make the outcome a reality.

For one thing; the amount of refugees coming into Ireland are very consistent because Irish people do tend to be more sympathetic towards them. The reason for that is because Ireland is taking in refugees on a voluntary basis because the EU had made agreements with their member states to have a mass relocation of refugees across their bloc.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-refugees-2-2982893-Sep2016/

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-refugee-asylum-seeker-numbers-2016-3077058-Nov2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

We allow us military use in Shannon increases our chances of being attacked in my opinion.

In my eyes we are not neutral because of this. We are are facilitators.....

Can they not charge someone over Omagh? Why/why not?

Can they not charge someone over Omagh? Why/why not?

Have you fallen on your head,you asked already and been replied to

What are you playing at?

Because I didn't think the Gardaí or the RUC would let something like the murder of 31 people lie? What were THEY playing at?
    Jesus, if you shoplift a packet of Polo Mints or go 1 km over the speed limit on a desolated country road you'd be hung, drawn and quartered, but if you detonate a car bomb and kill people you get a warning? That's the way I'm perceiving it here.

I knew they were bad, but really, they can't be that bad, can they?

• Advertisement

People were arrested.
    I think you should start another thread.

Because I didn't think the Gardaí or the RUC would let something like the murder of 31 people lie? What were THEY playing at?
    Jesus, if you shoplift a packet of Polo Mints or go 1 km over the speed limit on a desolated country road you'd be hung, drawn and quartered, but if you detonate a car bomb and kill people you get a warning? That's the way I'm perceiving it here.

I knew they were bad, but really, they can't be that bad, can they?

All this has been explained to you though :confused:

Asking the same thing over and over and expecting different answers is pointless?

Unless you have some evidence to bring to the table to force the situation,it'll not change?

Yes, I agree. We're getting off topic here. Right then so, back to the stats, the majority of boards users think there is going to be an IS hit on Ireland, which, to be is very surprising because I thought with our neutrality and all that jazz we would be a pointless target. But, now people are saying Ireland would be a soft target?

Just how easy would it be to attack ROI, and what would the response be?

Yes, I agree. We're getting off topic here. Right then so, back to the stats, the majority of boards users think there is going to be an IS hit on Ireland, which, to be is very surprising because I thought with our neutrality and all that jazz we would be a pointless target. But, now people are saying Ireland would be a soft target?

Your the one who laboured the point about the Omagh bombing tbf?

Given the highly technical and skilled nature of IS attacks-driving trucks into crowds :rolleyes:

I'd imagine it's a case of whoever carrying out the attacks deciding when/where?..the chances of stopping it,short of slim to none

Who would respond though, the ERU, the Rangers, who? And would they do a good job at handling the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In my opinion, of course an attack could happen here but in reality, what would it achieve?
    There is very little media coverage here so it's unlikely to be headline news across CNN, BBC World News, Euronews etc. Therefore no one outside of Ireland would actually notice, defeating the purpose So called Islamic State would be looking for.
    I do not fear any immigrants or refugees because they might be terrorists. That's like saying back in the 80s and 90s every Irish immigrant to other countries should be shunned because they could be IRA, or any Catalan Spainard should be kicked out because they could be ETA. Sounds ridiculous because it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

As the person who started this thread and setup the poll, you've gone from...

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland? (in your thread title)

to

Do you think IS could be attacked by IS? (in your anonymous poll question)

to now

the majority of boards users think there is going to be an IS hit on Ireland.

Do you need to redo your poll? Perhaps add something about Omagh in there.

Hey i only just noticed the change in the poll.
    That's a completely different question to the one i answered OP.
    Are you just trying to get the results to suit you or what?

Anyone know can i take back my vote???!

I don't understand. The poll is the same, the pollster (me) has not changed it, and I mentioned Omagh because it was a serious terror attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Are you six .:rolleyes: You can type very well for such a young age,Just a few improvements in other areas, but all with time. well done.

Advertisement