Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I have quite an interest in terrorism (really should have joined MI5 or something :pac:), Ireland is the only old EU state that has never had an Islamist attack or an active plot for an attack within our state (possibly along with Portugal, Finland, maybe Norway). I can think of one particular reason our chances of being hit by a lone wolf attack might increase at some stage quite soon, but it would be potentially libelous to state why, so I will just leave it there (I'm sure those of you who take an interest in current affairs can work out what I am on about)

I know what you are thinking but I doubt the MB want to avenge IH in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

pangbang wrote: »
    Its an inevitability that it will happen here. These terrorist attacks from muslim-based ideologies all have one thing in common....large/increasing muslim populations.

Odds of it happening in Iceland? pretty much nil (though not impossible of course)

Odds in Ireland? Increasing chances along with the increasing population of muslims.

It is as simple as that. A larger population of those people provides the means necessary for radicalisation, the ability to hide in plain sight, the providence of "backup", the closed community with which to obtain information/weapons/materials etc.

On another note, I often see the line used "if you change your life owing to a terrorist attack, or feel fearful then you are letting the terrorists win!"

Nope. If a bunch of your fellow irish people were blown up/run-over/coerced by rape gangs.......doing nothing about it is CRAZY. Not reacting to it is CRAZY. Carrying out your daily life as usual is CRAZY.

If an idiot punched you in the head on the way to work, would you carry on as normal? Would you do it the next day and the next week knowing that hes always at the same spot, ready to punch you again? Knowing that he'll do it to others too? This world is going mad, I tells yeh!

Exactly, Isis aren't the school bullies that lose face if you let on they're not getting to you (As the advice for dealing with bullies goes). People are so naive if they think that's a solution. Meanwhile fanatical beliefs seem to be becoming mainstream and the funding from saudi keeps coming, while the likes of linda sarsour is mainstreaming and glamourising islamism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    I thought Dublin and Monaghan was in 74?

The Omagh bombing, what are your thoughts on that?

Why haven't they caught the perpetrators yet?

The perpetrators of the terrorist attacks in Dublin and Monaghan? Very good question.

Omagh is in a different jurisdiction. What would you like us to do?

If you want something more recent. How about a car ploughing through people on one of Dublin's busiest streets?

Or lads bursting into a hotel with AK-47s shooting the place up?

With all these terrorist attacks, we've managed to continue. Life went on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

I thought we already had a hotel attack last year, at the Regency?

Do you think that an attack on Ireland is imminent?

And what do you mean by "Omagh is in a different jurisdiction"?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

dav3 wrote: »
    The perpetrators of the terrorist attacks in Dublin and Monaghan? Very good question.

Omagh is in a different jurisdiction. What would you like us to do?

If you want something more recent. How about a car ploughing through people on one of Dublin's busiest streets?

While that's true, I'd like to point out a significant difference. Those problems, like the gangs, are OUR problem. And our gardai are suited to the task, more or less.

Terrorist attacks from non-indigenous people are NOT our problem....so why should we add problems to our country?

Another difference, for the most part, these criminal gangs are killing other criminals. Not exactly urgent on the scale of things. But these muslim ideologies are out to kill ALL of us, men, women and children.

And the Gardaí are NOT equipped to handle these terrorist units. This is most certainly a case where the power to deal with the problem is in the hands of the civilian. Gardaí cant stop these people coming here, the power of the people at large can.

Remember the last time you were asked to vote on immigration of any sort? Yeah....remember that when a vote does come down the line. Demand it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

None of these count apparently as they are the work of ODCs and they're Irish lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Are you drinking on good Friday ;) Because you have me confused :confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

pangbang wrote: »
    While that's true, I'd like to point out a significant difference. Those problems, like the gangs, are OUR problem. And our gardai are suited to the task, more or less.

Terrorist attacks from non-indigenous people are NOT our problem....so why should we add problems to our country?

Another difference, for the most part, these criminal gangs are killing other criminals. Not exactly urgent on the scale of things. But these muslim ideologies are out to kill ALL of us, men, women and children.

And the Gardaí are NOT equipped to handle these terrorist units. This is most certainly a case where the power to deal with the problem is in the hands of the civilian. Gardaí cant stop these people coming here, the power of the people at large can.

Remember the last time you were asked to vote on immigration of any sort? Yeah....remember that when a vote does come down the line. Demand it.

For the most part, these criminal gangs are killing other criminals...apart from when they kill innocent civilians. The cheeky scamps. Certainly not terrorists, even if they hire non-nationals to do their killing. I don't know, foreigners coming over here taking our hitman jobs.

I do remember voting for immigration, we had to do it a couple of times.

I haven't been drinking today, just explain to me why they can't bring the Omagh perpetrators to justice?

It's quite simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Luggnuts

This is a question that is being asked by many people in Ireland at the moment.

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland? What would happen if there was?

I'm not talking about the IRA or groups from the North here, I'm talking about IS and Islamist terrorism.

After the Westminster attack, Frances Fitzgerald told the Dail that Ireland is not immune from terror attacks.

They have attacked promenades in Nice, theatres, restaurants, supermarkets, offices, airports and museums in Paris, beaches in Tunisia, Christmas markets in Berlin, airports and metros Brussels and Istanbul, Ankara, Stockholm, St. Petersburg and the list goes on. Good Christ, they have even attacked German football team buses now.

So, do you think Ireland could be next?

You have to ask yourself why terrorist attacks occur in the countries that they do. And I'm not talking about the silly "they hate freedom" nonsense. Why would a terrorist attack occur in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I haven't been drinking today, just explain to me why they can't bring the Omagh perpetrators to justice?

It's quite simple.

Because the gaurds fcuked up the investigation and those that did time were found inocent

The only dna evidence was laughed out of court in the north....

But why hasn't the bomb warning phone call been released? ?

For the most part, these criminal gangs are killing other criminals...apart from when they kill innocent civilians. The cheeky scamps. Certainly not terrorists, even if they hire non-nationals to do their killing. I don't know, foreigners coming over here taking our hitman jobs.

I do remember voting for immigration, we had to do it a couple of times.

You re-worded a sentence, cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Terrorist attacks happen all over the world all the time.
    Ireland is no different and is no more immune than any other part of the world. It wasn't long ago we had decades of IRA/RUC/IDF activity, Veronica Guerin, all that stuff. It hasn't gone away.

There'll probably be an attack in the next decade from some nutjob who watched a few ISIS videos on youtube, but what of it?
    You can't live your life in fear, worrying that you may be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There was a thread on here not long ago about people being afraid to travel to France after the attacks, which is ridiculous, since you've a greater chance being killed on the road on the way to the airport than get caught up in anything like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Manny89

Drug dealers shooting other drug dealers are not terrorist attacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

eeguy wrote: »
    Terrorist attacks happen all over the world all the time.
    Ireland is no different and is no more immune than any other part of the world. It wasn't long ago we had decades of IRA/RUC/IDF activity, Veronica Guerin, all that stuff. It hasn't gone away.

There'll probably be an attack in the next decade from some nutjob who watched a few ISIS videos on youtube, but what of it?
    You can't live your life in fear, worrying that you may be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There was a thread on here not long ago about people being afraid to travel to France after the attacks, which is ridiculous, since you've a greater chance being killed on the road on the way to the airport than get caught up in anything like that

Your post reminds me of one I saw on another forum, where a man, American I think, described Klan murders of blacks as just part of societal tension in the 60s.

Was that you by any chance?

A stabbing attack could also not be prevented, like that British student in Jerusalem today...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't see any hysteria on this thread.

I'm glad (in a bitter way too) that finally some Irish people seem to realize the threat, react, and maybe now act. We'll see how feasible the last bit is as no one in politics that I know of has had the guts yet to tackle this.

I remember commenting on Charlie Hebdo and later Bataclan, and even Nice, and the burkini debacle on here, it felt like people were so naive on here, so vulnerable.

Because I'm French I guess, even though I don't live there, I had all this experience of the news over there, and the general feel of the place (from trips over), feedback from family... I have family in Paris. I was in France when Nice happened, my uncle and aunt live there, my cousins were visiting with their kids for 14th July... it's easier to "get it" when you're worried about real people.

There was this whole dread going on over there, this realization that anyone was at risk, even little kiddies in buggies, or even that pregnant woman hanging off the window to try and escape the Bataclan, and yet it seemed that Irish people were very supportive, very empathetic, but from a little safe bubble where "it could never happen to us".

People on this thread don't seem hysterical to me, they just seem to have copped on ; the sooner more people do, and some politicians decide to take it on, the less probability something will happen.

Of course we can't prevent all and any attack with certainty, but the lesser the chance the better right ?

Here is something that could crack the Omagh case wide open, now correct me if I'm wrong:

That maroon Vauxhall Cavalier. It was stolen from Carrickmacross in Monaghan a few nights before the bombing. Here is a photo:

Omagh_imminent.jpg

That car was prepared by a number of RIRA terrorists over the next few days.

Surely the terrorists must have left some DNA trace during the preparation.

Then, there was the drivers on the day of the bombing. They must have left something behind of DNA.

Why couldn't the police have checked the wreckage for DNA evidence?

Now there's a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Surprised at the huge gap. I've voted no. Ryanair flights are very cheap to the UK. Bigger terror demonstration would be made in London who have actively taken part in War against Terrorism. I would be embarrassed to be a Jihadi terrorist in Ireland.

If anything an attack in Belfast would be more likely than say Dublin. In fact, i'd wager more money on a disgruntled unionist coming into Dublin and committing a terrorist act.

However, I do believe that Ireland could become a huge base for terrorism because of it's special arrangement with the UK. Terrorists could plan here for an attack in England, with little chance of being caught by the Gardai.

Jihadi Terrorists are achieving their goal it seems, IS is the buzzword. Fact is suicide is one of the biggest contributors to death in Ireland, yet something we ignore. We go for the "sexy" talk topic of terrorism. 4th in the world for suicide among young men, yet we're more concerned about the pissed off teenager who believes in Allah, than our young boys who can't express themselves.

You're letting the Jihadi's win by caring about them, you're worried Ireland is becoming less Irish, look after our boys, not theirs.

Wrt Omagh, there are serious questions as to what the RUC Special Branch knew of it, it looks like they knew everything.

I personally think that it was being left go ahead.

• Advertisement

Yes, but what about that Vauxhall?

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Surprised at the huge gap. I've voted no. Ryanair flights are very cheap to the UK. Bigger terror demonstration would be made in London who have actively taken part in War against Terrorism. I would be embarrassed to be a Jihadi terrorist in Ireland.

I think a few lads with home made vests running in to the Google HQ for about a 1/3 of the planet would be a much bigger global event than knocking down a few people in London

However, I do believe that Ireland could become a huge base for terrorism because of it's special arrangement with the UK.[B] It is already viewed as the centre for Finance for Al Qaeda and we have one of the highest per capita rates of fighters leaving to fight Jihad.
    [/B]
    Jihadi Terrorists are achieving their goal it seems, IS is the buzzword. Fact is suicide is one of the biggest contributors to death in Ireland, yet something we ignore. We go for the "sexy" talk topic of terrorism. 4th in the world for suicide among young men, yet we're more concerned about the pissed off teenager who believes in Allah, than our young boys who can't express themselves.

You're letting the Jihadi's win by caring about them, you're worried Ireland is becoming less Irish, look after our boys, not theirs.

A militant faith with views that are opposed to nearly all we are for is an existential threat to our society and Western Europe. Suicide is a problem in Ireland that needs to be addressed, many things can be addressed at once.

Here is something that could crack the Omagh case wide open, now correct me if I'm wrong:

That maroon Vauxhall Cavalier. It was stolen from Carrickmacross in Monaghan a few nights before the bombing. Here is a photo:

Omagh_imminent.jpg

That car was prepared by a number of RIRA terrorists over the next few days.

Surely the terrorists must have left some DNA trace during the preparation.

Then, there was the drivers on the day of the bombing. They must have left something behind of DNA.

Why couldn't the police have checked the wreckage for DNA evidence?

Now there's a question.

The blast destroyed everything of dns in the car 200 pounds of explosives will do that

The only dna found was a bit on a piece of insulating tape,at the site traced back to an electrican

Are you proposing the ruc didn't check for dna evidence

BTW that is one of the most chilling photos of the troubles imo

So, the car was a total write-off, you mean they couldn't reconstruct the wreckage to build a bigger picture?

FionnK86 wrote: »

If anything an attack in Belfast would be more likely than say Dublin. In fact, i'd wager more money on a disgruntled unionist coming into Dublin and committing a terrorist act.

However, I do believe that Ireland could become a huge base for terrorism because of it's special arrangement with the UK. Terrorists could plan here for an attack in England, with little chance of being caught by the Gardai.

I absolutely agree with the suicide problem we have here, its nigh time we started doing something active about helping that silent killer.

I absolutely disagree with the bolded in your statement. You can see a post I made above as to why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

So, the car was a total write-off, you mean they couldn't reconstruct the wreckage to build a bigger picture?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/timeline-of-investigations-into-omagh-bombings-1.2555555

There wouldn't have been enough DNA on that thing to even find it.

The Volunteers involved would have taken precautions regarding same, not as if there wouldn't have been the knowledge existing among those directing it.

Ultimately there will be no convictions n because it can cause more difficulties for the authorities than not.

Basically yes,

It was pretty much vapourised.....much the same way as that big bomb in Afghanistan it sucked the air in and obliterated it

So, basically, they haven't got a clue who was in the Vauxhall when it was parked but they know who planned it? And what about this 'car thief', who stole the bloody thing from Carrickmacross? Was he ever caught?

• Advertisement

What was left of the car could have been picked up by 2 strongish men.

Everything bar the best of steel and parts of the engine block were gone.

Everything within 6 inches of sunlight being vapourized is what happened.

Advertisement