Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Well that's what Tom Clonan of the journal thinks, he must have reading this thread here before he wrote the piece :):D

Seems to happen a lot with the Journal. At least there is a bit of investigative work re- how much exactly (or how little, rather) training the gardai and other services have received to date in terms of first response to terror attacks. Granted, since there is practically none, the research was pretty finite. :rolleyes:

edit : I do believe there is value in publishing such articles though. People really need to be informed, and awareness really needs to be raised. How many of us would actually raise the alarm if we saw an abandoned backpack lying under a bench in a busy street ?
    I think we're all pretty aware of the danger in airports, what about other locations ?
    And how would the average Irish person react if at all ?
    That would be an interesting enough poll : you see a bundle/backpack lying beside a bin/bench on Grafton Street/populated area. What do you do ? a) Walk on, you haven't even noticed b) swerve and walk on c) ring the gardai
    I was going to take a look at Grafton Street since I haven't been there in 10 years at least, and here is the first image that showed up when I dropped the little guy in Google maps, I've added the red circle.
    Of course we can't all be ringing the gardai every time a bundle shows up near a bin, but maybe the bin collection arrangements might be updated to better serve busy areas as a preventative measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't think I would report a backpack or an bag. Maybe I should rethink this. They're so commonplace, though...

Maybe a bit OT but TC mentions the Westminster Attack there. I've just been reading a friend's comment about that. He was saying he couldn't care less that Teresa May is safe as he's more upset about the people who were killed and the Muslims ''who will be attacked all over the country''. I don't think that has happened at all, has it? I know there always have been hate attacks, unfortunately, but I haven't heard of any particular escalation. It's the same reason he frowns on any mention of Islamism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 smurfyirl

Amount of training given to gardai in terrorism? Absolutely zero in the last 10/11 years I've been at it.

I work in Limerick and am most likely to be a first responder to any incident here or possibly sent to assist in Shannon if a serious attack happened there. Luckily I've a stick and pepper spray though so that will be fine then!

Are we a possible target - yep. Are we in any way, shape or form prepared for one? No chance.

The only silver lining is that we probably rank low enough on target lists for extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't think I would report a backpack or an bag. Maybe I should rethink this. They're so commonplace, though...

Same here.
    I think we could all be a bit more vigilant in busy spots if we were reminded, but it's really preventative measures that would help the most.

I have already mentioned it but I think ferry boats are pretty vulnerable too. Not enough checks IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 artemis268

Doubt it. Ireland doesnt really register on anyone's radar and I'd think the skangers and juankies on the street would beat the cr*p out of any would-be terrorists any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

artemis268 wrote: »
    Doubt it. Ireland doesnt really register on anyone's radar and I'd think the skangers and juankies on the street would beat the cr*p out of any would-be terrorists any day.

Yeah because our skangers and junkies are so much tougher than those in London, Brussels, Paris, Nice, Madrid, etc, etc, etc

If only Carlsberg did skangers, they would all be Dubs. ;)

When are the schools open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

pic_adam_and_paul_9lg3-300x241.jpg

AHH ME FOOKIN LEG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

pic_adam_and_paul_9lg3-300x241.jpg

AHH ME FOOKIN LEG

Irelands front line defence according to some here .:D:rolleyes::p:p Now where's Anto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

A few days ago I found a new enough looking suitcase on a platform and opened it to see if there was anything of interest inside (money, drugs, who knows)

If that was anywhere else in Europe I'd run a mile from it (or a kilometre, as it were)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Two arrested in Waterford on suspicion of international terrorism. Gardai suspected they may have been associating with known terrorists: https://www.thejournal.ie/terrorism-arrest-3361897-Apr2017/

It's only a matter of time before our weakness in immigration, security, and intelligence is taken advantage of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Two arrested in Waterford on suspicion of international terrorism.

When they started calling Isis "Daesh", I knew Waterford would somehow become involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They both Irish by sounds of it?

Edit 1 english

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Two arrested in Waterford on suspicion of international terrorism. Gardai suspected they may have been associating with known terrorists: https://www.thejournal.ie/terrorism-arrest-3361897-Apr2017/

It's only a matter of time before our weakness in immigration, security, and intelligence is taken advantage of.

Damn English terrorists.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

English speaking, next door to the UK, lack of security investment making Ireland a soft target (only 3 armed Dublin Airport Police on duty being a prime example)

Exactly the sort of place for them to target - they are looking for publicity and Ireland would certainly register on the radar if anything did happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Associated with Islamists the media say,glad the total censorship or description of criminals hasnt arrived here just yet....
    Great job by our forces....I'd be hoping our lads are well trained in sniffing out terrorist activities after this past hmmmm 100 years maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pontoonz

breaking news

failed potato farmer enda kenny promises to crush foreign terrorist networks in ireland,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Very very worrying this tbh. I wonder how many more are lying in wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MikeenRonanJr

Fair play to the Gardai.

It's only a matter of time to be honest. And when (not if) there's a Muslim terrorist attack in Ireland, I would presume you'll have the usual "Religion of Peace" and "It's because of the West" crowd in the thread.

Fair play to the Gardai.

It's only a matter of time to be honest. And when (not if) there's a Muslim terrorist attack in Ireland, I would presume you'll have the usual "Religion of Peace" and "It's because of the West" crowd in the thread.

it should not happen in ireland ,

but if it does enda kenny and simon coveney should be hung until there dead

• Advertisement

Very very worrying this tbh. I wonder how many more are lying in wait?

This is the second time it's been unearthed in waterford (islamists)

There seems to be no word on what was planned though?
    Last time they were comically bad tbf

ps,

the family of one of the berlin truck attacks victims is sueing the irish navy as the truck driver was brought from libya to italy by the irish navy (simon coveny)

pontoonz wrote: »
    it should not happen in ireland ,

but if it does enda kenny and simon coveney should be hung until there dead

Not the best idea tbf.

ps,

the family of one of the berlin truck attacks victims is sueing the irish navy as the truck driver was brought from libya to italy by the irish navy (simon coveny)

Yer gonna have to give us a link where you found that....it's astonishing and I'd agree that the navy facilitated bringing Isis sympathisers to Europe.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Not the best idea tbf.

fair enough, i take it back, enda and simon are not culpable

ps,

:pac:

Is he sueing the truck company aswell

cough,

anyone else find it a massive coincidence that innocent simple simon coveny is minister for housing at the moment?

not saying his prtog?s arte skipping the queues or anything,

it's a coincidence

fair enough, i take it back, enda and simon are not culpable

They are culpable alright,just lets not hang them lol

cough,

anyone else find it a massive coincidence that innocent simple simon coveny is minister for housing at the moment?

not saying his prtog?s arte skipping the queues or anything,

it's a coincidence

:D:D :D:D

This is going well

Tbf I seen a pic of him driving a combine harvester before....I'm saying it's a coincidence that they use trucks with same engines in lone wolf attacks or anything

***am I doing this right?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

gitzy16v wrote: »
    ....it's astonishing and I'd agree that the navy facilitated bringing Isis sympathisers to Europe.

Do explain.

Advertisement