Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is that a waterproof wrap around on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Velcro'd to your helmet is the way to go.

Great camera

Pretty impressive footage for the size/price. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is a phenomena I've been noticing a lot lately, people just not having their plates visible.

Agreed. Definately on the up. Clean car but dirty reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Anyone else notice the state of the cycle track from donnybrook to foxrock today? It's always a mess but it seemed some road sweeper just pushed all the grit and loose gravel into the middle of the cycle track. Saw some glass in there too.

Back on topic, had some young one cut across two lanes of oncoming moving traffic for a car parking spot. This was heading southbound just before donnybrook. I didn't see her and only slowed down due to the sound of screeching car tires and a blast of a few horns. Nearly took myself and some other cyclist out with her daft antics. I'm all for giving learner drivers space and the benefit of the doubt and I understand they're likely to make mistakes, I just hope one of those "mistakes" doesn't end up costing me or some other poor cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I had a few close passes today as usual - most on the way up Kilgobbin Road to Stepaside. However, the most memorable one and most dangerous was in Donnybrook.
    Coming from Merrion Road - and taking the right at the main road (church/ bus garrage/Donnybrook. Lights go green to turn right and I proceed out. Then a taxi undertakes me on the left (he was in the lane to go straight to Beaver Row). He had no indicator lit and squeezed in front of me. He then stopped at the lights and I just told him he was driving dangerously and without care and attention to other road users , particularly cyclist. I got the usual verbals. I then tried a different approach. I said I don't need to be able to cycle to earn a living and asked could he work with no driving licence?
    His reply was a classic. He said he had just got a call for a fare and was entitled/permitted to make the manoeuvre he did to go there and therefore I was wrong. I said his or any PSV licence did not give the authority to break the rules of the road or endanger other road users for commercial gain/reward. He then said he could do what he wanted and to fcuk with the rules of the road.
    I left him saying it was all recorded and I would be giving him the opportunity to test his interpretation of the rules of the road with a Garda!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I was marshalling for the cycle from the Phoenix Park to the Point Depot last week and stopped at Church Street junction, watching cyclists pass by, when an impatient elderly driver drove into me while I wasn't looking. Right at the knees causing me to fall onto his bonnet. ffs, he was stuck at the next lights anyway. You'd have to wonder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tampopo wrote: »
    I was marshalling for the cycle from the Phoenix Park to the Point Depot last week and stopped at Church Street junction, watching cyclists pass by, when an impatient elderly driver drove into me while I wasn't looking. Right at the knees causing me to fall onto his bonnet. ffs, he was stuck at the next lights anyway. You'd have to wonder...

And his age is relevant how?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chuchote wrote: »
    It adds colour to the story, since the stereotypical old duffer would be in no hurry at all, calm and polite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I wonder what religion he was? :p

Good point, Lumen. I've been near-missed by (to name a few):
    • Red-faced screaming moustachioed (male) taxi drivers
    • Harrumphing U-turning black (male) taxi drivers
    • Shouty cigarette-smoking-and-simultaneous-mobile-phone-using (female) driver turning a corner against me as I went straight
    • Aged ladies (both sexes) who could scarcely see over the wheel
    • Boy racers (mostly male), some with no number plates or clearly fake number plates

Oh, and I left out the many coach drivers, and the occasional bus drivers, and the drivers of big trucks, sitting up high and staring into space (all male) who've succeeded in catching me despite my efforts to avoid their presence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Aged ladies (both sexes)
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Supervalue Churchtown of a Friday is a hive of pensioners who cannot see 5m ahead of themselves. Its lunacy how reliable it is.

We've a serious issue with unfit drivers in my experience, AGS should be doing roadside sight tests like the brits do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

ED E wrote: »
    AGS should be doing roadside sight tests like the brits do.
    The ones that you want disbanded?

I mean the quavering, quivering kind of person who is an aged lady no matter what his or her age or sex.

Here's a beauty: a London copper demanding a cyclist give him room to drive faster than the speed limit :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I mean the quavering, quivering kind of person who is an aged lady no matter what his or her age or sex.
    ]

So you're equivocating 'a quavering, quivering kind of person' with being an older women? That these are traits of aged womanhood?
    This is not a gendered trait.

nee wrote: »
    So you're equivocating 'a quavering, quivering kind of person' with being an older women? That these are traits of aged womanhood?
    This is not a gendered trait.

No, I'm not equivocating, I'm saying that this is a trope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

No, I'm not equivocating, I'm saying that this is a trope.

Not a gendered one.

ETA this is off topic. I'll say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Hoist and petard come to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Here's a beauty: a London copper demanding a cyclist give him room to drive faster than the speed limit :eek:

Had a similar experience with a driver last week where he proceeded to beep me, squeeze past and wave his fist at me. I was keeping out about 3 feet more than I normally would as I was approaching a repair garage entrance that usually has cars encroaching on to the road from behind a line of parked cars.

I wasn't fully up to date with my rights but was taking up that amount of road space to ensure my safety. Not sure of the speeds I was doing but probably about 25mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Hoist and petard come to mind...
    "Petard comes from the Middle French peter, to break wind..."

*Giggles like a schoolgirl* (both sexes)

Am I doing this right? I've lost the thread slightly :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So what's the conclusion now, do we just say we had an incident with a homo sapien in a 4 wheeled motor vehicle of some form, and that's as descriptive as we go?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So what's the conclusion now, do we just say we had an incident with a homo sapien in a 4 wheeled motor vehicle of some form, and that's as descriptive as we go?

Whats the relevance of the number of wheels? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Whats the relevance of the number of wheels? :P

Discrimination against Robin Reliants.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

The amount of people using phones at lights is definitely a common thing. Why people can't put the phone away while making a journey is mind boggling.

ya get bored in traffic....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nope, other than the van driver who was (I am convinced) trying to knock me down the other day, I've found it better lately for the most part. I've been taking the lane more too though, and waiting til I think it's safe for people to pass, or pulling in somewhere if I feel that I'm at a stage where I'm going to slow.

I'm getting a lot more waves, thank you beeps and flashes of the light too as I think they see me as behaving more typically like a car. Waiting in the queue of traffic at lights rather than squeezing up if it's too tight is a big one for some I think. A bit of give and take is needed.

That's not to say I'm not seeing 100% perfect behaviour, but I'm mostly feeling safer as I am managing it better and being courteous etc. I am seeing an alarming amount of RLJing at busy junctions by cars though. It's definitely on the increase.
    I haven't read this thread so apologies for not being up to date with my petard but yesterday I came across a very common occurrence, a white van turning left and taking down a cyclist travelling straight on. Neither party were damaged, in fact the white van was so untroubled he just kept driving. This did pique my interest so I followed him to his next place of stoppedness and asked him (very politely) did he realise he'd just caused a cyclist to deck.
    He hadn't, he didn't, in fact the only cyclist he had seen was me. And he had indicated. The van was full of noisy cargo and heard nothing out of the ordinary.

He was also polite and there was no blaming of anyone going on (mostly as I wasn't actually enraged at being knocked down myself). I pointed out that a cyclist had hit the ground and perhaps his second curved mirror could have helped him see the cyclist.

Rewinding a bit.....About 40m before the left turn I was pedalling behind the faller cyclist, I stopped pedalling as a white van was outside me. I glanced across and sure enough he was indicating left, I drifted behind and outside him as he turned left. The other cyclist never looked at anything and in near slow motion continued cycling into the side of the van ( I do know the other way of saying that is that the van knocked him down)

Near misses and actual collisions are frequently caused by lack of awareness of your immediate surroundings. A two tonne van is always going to win against a 90kg bikeman. Nobody was on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He said homo.

*Giggles like a schoolgirl* (both sexes)

josip wrote: »
    Discrimination against Robin Reliants.

And motorbikes, coaches, buses and trucks! Why single out 4 wheel vehicles? It's a disgrace Joe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Peterx wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread so apologies for not being up to date with my petard but yesterday I came across a very common occurrence, a white van turning left and taking down a cyclist travelling straight on. Neither party were damaged, in fact the white van was so untroubled he just kept driving. This did pique my interest so I followed him to his next place of stoppedness and asked him (very politely) did he realise he'd just caused a cyclist to deck.
    He hadn't, he didn't, in fact the only cyclist he had seen was me. And he had indicated. The van was full of noisy cargo and heard nothing out of the ordinary.

He was also polite and there was no blaming of anyone going on (mostly as I wasn't actually enraged at being knocked down myself). I pointed out that a cyclist had hit the ground and perhaps his second curved mirror could have helped him see the cyclist.

Rewinding a bit.....About 40m before the left turn I was pedalling behind the faller cyclist, I stopped pedalling as a white van was outside me. I glanced across and sure enough he was indicating left, I drifted behind and outside him as he turned left. The other cyclist never looked at anything and in near slow motion continued cycling into the side of the van ( I do know the other way of saying that is that the van knocked him down)

Near misses and actual collisions are frequently caused by lack of awareness of your immediate surroundings. A two tonne van is always going to win against a 90kg bikeman. Nobody was on the phone.

So you were saying the van was level with you and that you were behind the cyclist. The van is not allowed to overtake the lead cyclist and then turn in causing collision. On the other hand, if the van was always in front and looking to turn, the cyclist should have given way.

The amount of times I've seen vehicles speed up, overtake the cyclist and then swerve in front dangerously.

Drivers want to eat their cake and have yours too. The cycle lane is considered another lane, when it comes to not allowing cyclists to turn right and not considered a lane when they want to barge in front of the cyclist and turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

So you were saying the van was level with you and that you were behind the cyclist. The van is not allowed to overtake the lead cyclist and then turn in causing collision. On the other hand, if the van was always in front and looking to turn, the cyclist should have given way.

The amount of times I've seen vehicles speed up, overtake the cyclist and then swerve in front dangerously.

Drivers want to eat their cake and have yours too. The cycle lane is considered another lane, when it comes to not allowing cyclists to turn right and not considered a lane when they want to barge in front of the cyclist and turn left.

I am saying be aware of and give way to the 2 tonne white vans when they are turning left on top of you.

The driver was just "proceeding with the traffic" as my old driving instructor liked to say. Yes he could have seen the first cyclist and yielded but he never looked like stopping his turn. This happens so regularly that cyclists should allow for it, despite the rights and wrongs of the who should yield to who bit.

With the cake eating, you can safely substitute the word people for drivers.
    I routinely ignore many poor cycle lanes on my commute, I can hardly claim this particular stretch of red paint is sacred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Peterx wrote: »
    I am saying be aware of and give way to the 2 tonne white vans when they are turning left on top of you.

The driver was just "proceeding with the traffic" as my old driving instructor liked to say. Yes he could have seen the first cyclist and yielded but he never looked like stopping his turn. This happens so regularly that cyclists should allow for it, despite the rights and wrongs of the who should yield to who bit.

With the cake eating, you can safely substitute the word people for drivers.
    I routinely ignore many poor cycle lanes on my commute, I can hardly claim this particular stretch of red paint is sacred.

but the cyclists life is! i agree that once the van driver has decided that's what he's doing then you hammer on the brakes and evade as best you can but to suggest that the cycle lane should not be respected by motorists because you don't always use it is way off the mark.

substitute the same scenario for a motorway where the van is in the outside lane and decides to cut off a car in the inside lane in order to take a junction. is that just proceeding with the traffic? because in law both scenarios are the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement