Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

my wife knows a couple of people who go horseriding occasionally on the roads around NCD (well, specifically, from thorton park); horse riders seem to have similar complaints to cyclists, except they've the added bonus that their steed has a mind of its own.
    most recently, one of the riders was complaining that she was overtaken by two motorbike riders, one of whom revved the bike hard as (s)he passed, nearly sending the horse into the ditch.

Well I hope to address that at a meeting tonight. My club are holding a meeting regarding our races and one of the topics i'll be discussing is what to do if you come across a horse on the road.

I do think a lot of people don't realize or know what they should or should do in this situation. especially cyclist who live in urban areas, but then cycle in rural area on the weekends/sportives etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

amusing one this morning, with a motorist deciding to pull out and overtake me approaching a roundabout, and thankfully realising (thankfully before he had pulled alongside me) that he was heading straight for a traffic island.
    and an almost identical incident on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

and an almost identical incident on the way home.
    I thought about your post today when a car squeezed between me and a bin lorry just before the roundabout in Laraghcon heading into Lucan. The three of us arrived at the traffic lights to cross the Liffey at the exact same time, so their fast close pass and dive leftwards to avoid the traffic island was in vain. Doubly so as I filtered around them into the bike box and crossed the river in front of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

VID_124680629_175008_565_zpsyqblczl8.mp4?w=160&h=160&fit=clip

Coming up the old N3 a while ago, car overtaking towards up at huge speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Coming back home from leeson street this evening I got just passed Appian way to find a taxi flipped on its roof. Hope everyone involved is ok but for Christ sake how do we stand a chance with that sort of nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What's really concerning to me is the sheer number of these that are being documented here. Given its only a Boards sample, this attitude/behaviour/carelessness/lack of respect etc is actually at epidemic levels. However, the embattled Garda Commissoner tells us the cut backs had no impact on policing? The evidence that that is nonsense is evident every minute of the day on Irish roads. It will take years to change bad driving behaviours that has now become ingrained and acceptable to many motorists.

Pet hate of mine, car drivers in Dublin, think its fine to overtake parked cars etc while traveling towards me at speed, very common around Goatstown, where I live. Simply no concept of a bike as a road user. They don't even slow down.
    I think it's even worse on rural roads! Your cycling along and a car coming towards you. Then another car overtakes the first car and comes towards you at speed! It's a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Here a pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I want to see the photo the other cyclist is taking, his photo will have you taking a photo of him taking a photo of you. Some real inception **** there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chuchote wrote: »
    I've had that happen to me a lot with drivers coming towards me overtaking cyclists on their side. They obviously think they're being very good, bless them, but it doesn't occur that they're about to bolognese a cyclist coming towards them.

I think it a lot of cases drivers feel that cyclists are some kind of 2nd class questions who have to get out of the way when a driver is there. So they just don't think about who has priority on which side of the road - they just think car > bike, so I'll keep going.
    Sarz91 wrote: »
    Coming back home from leeson street this evening I got just passed Appian way to find a taxi flipped on its roof. Hope everyone involved is ok but for Christ sake how do we stand a chance with that sort of nonsense?
    Here a pic

Saw that too - couldn't work out how it could possibly happen that a car had enough speed and momentum to flip over in a very busy and short stretch of road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here a pic
    The Garda looks a bit strange with a leather lower half and an ordinary upper half.

Most motorcycle cops usually conduct their business with the helmet still on which can be annoying as it can be difficult to hear their muffled questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

DFB have a photo, where they've blurred out the licence plate, and also blurred out some indecipherable symbol on the driver's door. :pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/849675180825882634/photo/1

C8qnCjjWsAEqUz1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

buffalo wrote: »
    DFB have a photo, where they've blurred out the licence plate, and also blurred out some indecipherable symbol on the driver's door. :pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/849675180825882634/photo/1

C8qnCjjWsAEqUz1.jpg

Spot the cyclist on the footpath :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

degsie wrote: »

HE SHOULD OF BEEN IN THE CYCLE LANE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

How does a car overturn in a speed restricted area (50kmph I think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

degsie wrote: »

How did you see him without a hi-viz?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The Garda looks a bit strange with a leather lower half and an ordinary upper half.

Most motorcycle cops usually conduct their business with the helmet still on which can be annoying as it can be difficult to hear their muffled questions.

He jumped in a car to attend that happens.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    How does a car overturn in a speed restricted area (50kmph I think?)

Quite easily

https://youtu.be/ASWmMY-kiy4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    What's really concerning to me is the sheer number of these that are being documented here. Given its only a Boards sample, this attitude/behaviour/carelessness/lack of respect etc is actually at epidemic levels. However, the embattled Garda Commissoner tells us the cut backs had no impact on policing? The evidence that that is nonsense is evident every minute of the day on Irish roads. It will take years to change bad driving behaviours that has now become ingrained and acceptable to many motorists.

To be fair the cutbacks haven't had an effect on this. Policing of this sort of behaviour has always been non-existent. I don't know how long you've been about but in my opinion the current state of driving is actually a significant improvement on how people drove 20 years ago. Which is not to say there aren't still plenty of horrifying dreadful drivers who need to be off the roads, there are just more responsible ones now.

Of course there are more people swerving all over the road because they are on their phones now but the incidents of close passes and stupid oncoming overtakes are less than before. I did see a car acting oddly the other day. He was about 50m ahead of me but he was going about 20kph and as I watched he drifted slowly until his wheels were on the white line of the cycle lane, which must have worried the cyclist he was just behind. When I caught up to him I was surprised to see that instead of being on his phone as I expected he was using both hands to clean his glasses.

This is without even talking about drunk driving, it used to be that I was glad to see a taxi coming at me late at night because they were probably sober, unlike the drivers of a lot of private cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

07Lapierre wrote: »

The driver in that video was a learner who went off the road and over and obstruction. So the answer to "how do you do that in a 50kph zone" seems to be "by doing something extremely stupid".

• Advertisement

HivemindXX wrote: »
    The driver in that video was a learner who went off the road and over and obstruction. So the answer to "how do you do that in a 50kph zone" seems to be "by doing something extremely stupid".

Yes...my point is it's possible even at low speed.
    Another possibility...while turning a sharp corner and clipping the kerb, could result in a rollover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... and also blurred out some indecipherable symbol on the driver's door. :pac::pac:...
    The taxi licence number is on the door sign - hence the reason it's blurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did he try to drive over the concrete median? No sharp bend there so he must have clipped something pretty hard while turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yes...my point is it's possible even at low speed.
    Another possibility...while turning a sharp corner and clipping the kerb, could result in a rollover.

Here's another example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Healy-Rae has got himself in trouble. A grieving family whose little boy was killed in a crash with a drunk driver has come out to absolutely denounce his claims that a couple of pints never caused a fatal crash:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nobody-caused-a-fatality-after-just-three-glasses-of-guinness-healyrae-35598593.html
    Ciaran Treacy (4) was killed when Finbarr O'Rourke smashed into the car his mother Gillian was driving near Portlaoise, Co Laois, on Holy Thursday in 2014.
    Ciaran's mother said: "I am furious - this attitude hurts me even more because it's like it's 'okay' that our son was killed by a drunk.

"It's scientifically proven that one drink impairs driving and he has the cheek to say three glasses is 'no harm'.
    "I wonder if he had to visit his child's grave every day, knowing that a drunk had killed him/her, would he change his attitude?"

Healy-Rae didn't speak generally, of course, but of his "neck of the woods". There are 60 pubs in Kerry, according to the Irish Vintners' Association site. It would be a Joycean puzzle (akin to Joyce's one of how you could cross Dublin without passing a pub) to know if there is anyone in Kerry who lives more than a cyclable 5km from a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chuchote wrote: »
    Healy-Rae didn't speak generally, of course, but of his "neck of the woods". There are 60 pubs in Kerry, according to the Irish Vintners' Association site. It would be a Joycean puzzle (akin to Joyce's one of how you could cross Dublin without passing a pub) to know if there is anyone in Kerry who lives more than a cyclable 5km from a pub.

Five minutes with ArcGIS and you'd have a nice infographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ED E wrote: »
    Five minutes with ArcGIS and you'd have a nice infographic.

Beyond my competence, I can see from a mere glance at the website. But it would be a nice project for someone with spatial literacy. (I did have a try on Google Maps, looking at the most remote place I could think of in Kerry, the Black Valley, and sure enough-o there were a couple of pubs within spitting distance.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Problem with that clan is that they're loved locally and seen as giving it to the man in Dublin. I would visit their constituency regularly in the 90s as I had very good friends living there. They would be seen by many as gob****es but because they were literally those that fixed the roads they'd always get a vote. Parish pump politics personified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pet hate of mine, car drivers in Dublin, think its fine to overtake parked cars etc while traveling towards me at speed, very common around Goatstown, where I live. Simply no concept of a bike as a road user. They don't even slow down.

To be fair, they even do it to other cars. "My side's blocked, you need to stop as I am a very important man, doing important things like picking up a tin of beans in Spar."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

HE SHOULD OF BEEN IN THE CYCLE LANE

HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN WALKING WITH HIS BIKE AS HE IS ON THE FOOTHPATH! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement