Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai want ban on people photographing and recording them on duty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The timing is amazing. Trust in the Gardai is already seriously damaged. The last thing that they should be doing is giving the impression that they are trying to hide their actions.

Might be a good thing if people film & find the missing breath tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Neither of those cases are to do with filming and putting on social media.
    The Garda in your cases should be prosecuted for breaking the law but this thread is about filming and identifying family and addresses.
    I have no time for anyone who breaks the law whether Garda or public.

The gardai are claiming that their concern is about their identities being revealed and families being targeted yet they do that themselves to others, the parallel is obvious. And, of course, this guy wouldn't have been able to introduce the recording of threats they made against his family into his defence if the gardai had their way on banning recordings of them while on duty.

And this is what it's all about, What they really want is to prevent themselves from being recorded. As we've seen with AGS it is an organization that is trying to cling to the good old days when they answered to no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Maybe the law should state posting identity to social media be a criminal offense but filming should be allowed to prevent corruption

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Maybe the law should state posting identity to social media be a criminal offense but filming should be allowed to prevent corruption
    Very Well Said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Recording a video is one thing, it should always be legal.

The one limitation that should be put on that is for subversive groups or
    terrorists makings recordings for intelligence purposes of military installations,
    police stations, movements or logistics of police etc.

That wouldn't apply to normal every day situations though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I said the same earlier but some people seem to want to identify their wives and children too and post their address.
    In the interest of justice seemingly :rolleyes:

I said the same earlier but some people seem to want to identify their wives and children too and post their address.
    That is Just Hear Say From the Garda where is the evidence court case of Garda being harassment in this way? that statement from the Garda has no Basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That is Just Hear Say From the Garda where is the evidence court case of Garda being harassment in this way? that statement from the Garda has no Basis.

Ah .... ok. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Fort Apache.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That shouldn't happen but I also think that Gaurds should be banned from commenting in their job on social media. There were quite a few who came out during the cash grab in December with the woe is me Facebook post.

If they are concerned about their safety be better to let the PR department handle everything .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Trust in the gaurds is at an all time low. We've seen evidence if some major corruption in the last while too. The gaurds should focus on building public trust first.

This is Ireland/Eire not the Soviet Union. If the Garda Do Not like our laws pack up the bags and leave the Garda. and head to North Korea Kin Chun he will have all them laws already in place for you ban on people photographing and recording.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

stuff like this is one of the reasons that they want this law ,
    this is from a facebook page so i hope im allowed post it ,without the a link

"Sight was lost on Pat Reynolds (corrupt D.P.P. junior counsel )turning off navan road .We know he lives of the navan road .This is the dpp rep who was involved in framing me last week . Can anyone confirm his address .All scumbags involved in framing innocent people are targeted for peaceful assembley and running back to Dublin will not save them.Will post his picture tomorrow . Regards Joe ps . Found out his wife is an accountant . we closing in"

"Joe Doherty superparkingattendent from ballina is the one driving the harrassment and intimidation and false charges against me in ballina so i will shortly announce a date for a peaceful assembley outside his house and place of work .This is one of the most corrupt bastards ever to wear a garda uniform and the message must be driven home that he must go .His neighbours and family in ballina and straide will be made fully aware of his corrupt policing . Regards joe"

would you like to be followed home by something like this guy ?

one example of many and the real target of this motion.

mynamejeff wrote: »

"Sight was lost on Pat Reynolds (corrupt D.P.P. junior counsel )turning off navan road .We know he lives of the navan road .This is the dpp rep who was involved in framing me last week . Can anyone confirm his address .All scumbags involved in framing innocent people are targeted for peaceful assembley and running back to Dublin will not save them.Will post his picture tomorrow . Regards Joe ps . Found out his wife is an accountant . we closing in"

"Joe Doherty superparkingattendent from ballina is the one driving the harrassment and intimidation and false charges against me in ballina so i will shortly announce a date for a peaceful assembley outside his house and place of work .This is one of the most corrupt bastards ever to wear a garda uniform and the message must be driven home that he must go .His neighbours and family in ballina and straide will be made fully aware of his corrupt policing . Regards joe"

What is this Post I am all Ears ????Tell me more.

What is this Post I am all Ears ????Tell me more.
    if you cant read the stuff you just quoted cant explain it better to you
    :confused::confused:

i doubt im allowed to post the link besides you have your own agenda here and have your mind made up so why bother really

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Reati wrote:
    Can't see how this would be enforced without infringing on our fantastic laws with regards photographic freedoms. I hope this falls on it's face.
    I dunno about the whole thing, there's a fair few fantastic ban-gardai that could do with a nice photo op in front of a lens like the great Mick O'Leary does with his cabin gals, Might help out Noreen's cause too for best boss awards at the next AGSI AGM.. :D

if you cant read the stuff you just quoted cant explain it better to you
    :confused::confused:

i doubt im allowed to post the link besides you have your own agenda here and have your mind made up so why bother really
    I have no mind made up I Make my Mind up until I see evidence/fact I never make my mind up Just on Hear Say evidence. I Have to have proof/evidence/fact before I will make my mind up . Can ask you a question are you a garda are you Maurice?.

I have no mind made up I Make my Mind up until I see evidence/fact I never make my mind up Just on Hear Say evidence. I Have to have proof/evidence/fact before I will make my mind up . Can ask you a question are you a garda are you Maurice?.

am i maurice ? no

mynamejeff of course :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Morale is at an all-time low on the frontline.
    Or is it that embarrassment is at an all-time high?

diomed wrote: »
    Morale is at an all-time low on the frontline.
    Or is it that embarrassment is at an all-time high?
    This Very True all Jokes aside but who is to blame? its from the top down needs to go Now.

• Advertisement

Well then it's a social media issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I do not despise the AGS but you are talking as if AGS is a singular entity they are an organization with a history of abusing power and corruption. (As are most sate owned enforcement agencies the world over we are not special)

This is not to say all Garda abuse power and that they are all corrupt but some do and when they do normal people end up suffering at the hands of a state body.

The only way this is combated is to ensure the AGS are held accountable for when they over-step, abuse power or when corruption is found.

You argue the proposed bill is to protect the Garda and their families, yes to a degree I agree, but more so on the idea to protect the Garda from been seen to be involved in anymore wrong doing.

You just need to look at the whistle blowers and how they where treated....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/did-dark-forces-try-to-silence-garda-mccabe-35443606.html

Is this the AGS you are trying to defend?

What about the Night cluber owner in Donegal

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nightclub-owner-sues-state-over-unjust-conviction-25895144.html

Where the Garda deliberate withheld information and perjured themselves in court where a man spent over 2 years in prison?

Whether you like it or not these things happen, have happened and will probably continue to happen to some extent.

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Of course power corrupts and of course the Gardai should be held accountable....I don't believe I've ever argued otherwise to be fair.

But trial by media, and identifying them and their families on social media cannot and should not ever be allowed. Nor should trying to get a rise out of them and filming to try and defame them later on.

This motion is being put forward to protect the Gardai whether you like it or not and I honestly wouldn't blame them at all.

If people acted like human beings and not animals at all these so-called peaceful protests we might not be having the discussion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just a thought but, if you are the victim of Garda corruption & you have no one who will investigate your claim, you might turn to social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Maybe we could ban taking video of Government Ministers ,they also come in for abuse.But we wont-because it would be stupid, Same goes for the Gardai.

Discodog wrote: »
    Just a thought but, if you are the victim of Garda corruption & you have no one who will investigate your claim, you might turn to social media.

GSOC

Of course power corrupts and of course the Gardai should be held accountable....I don't believe I've ever argued otherwise to be fair.

But trial by media, and identifying them and their families on social media cannot and should not ever be allowed. Nor should trying to get a rise out of them and filming to try and defame them later on.

This motion is being put forward to protect the Gardai whether you like it or not and I honestly wouldn't blame them at all.

If people acted like human beings and not animals at all these so-called peaceful protests we might not be having the discussion now.

But on average they're not held accountable. I don't agree with trial by social media either but I don't think the rotten apples are held accountable.

There is some-one who will investigate though....they're called GSOC.

Trial by media is never the way to go.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    But on average they're not held accountable. I don't agree with trial by social media either but I don't think the rotten apples are held accountable.

Have you facts or figures to support that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

There is some-one who will investigate though....they're called GSOC.

Trial by media is never the way to go.
    gsoc are about as usefull as a dry bar at a 21st birthday celeb

• Advertisement

and if your and unbalanced bag of crazy with an imaged axe to grind you can go on social media make any sort of vague and unproven allegation and try to stir up a mob to go and terrify harass and abuse a innocent mans family becase he dared to apply the law to you .

in this specific case this guy went through the district court circuit court and high court. gesoc then investigated repeated allegations and found nothing.

and so this is the result , trying or organise mobs to frighten women and children .

the motion being discussed is meant to preempt all of that . unlikley to work but its a small measure of protection

Advertisement