Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai want ban on people photographing and recording them on duty

Options
  • 10-04-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

They want it banned because people were sharing information on social media and they feel under threat.
    "Their private domestic lives, home addresses and members of family have been referred to in a way not connected to the duty of which that member was carrying out."

Seems the real ban is that Identifying a Garda's name and home address on social media. Sounds like they are using this as a way to avoid been held accountable for things they do on duty which gets recorded. Trustworthy bunch they are and all.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-want-ban-on-people-photographing-and-recording-them-on-duty-35609002.html

Can't see how this would be enforced without infringing on our fantastic laws with regards photographic freedoms. I hope this falls on it's face.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can understand why they would want that.
    Like the scenario where a Garda is identified arresting a known drug dealer or gang member and someone takes a picture of them and shares it on facebook etc and then they have the worries about someone identifying them and targeting their home or family.

Maybe you need to walk a mile in their shoes OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Absolutely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Like the scenario where a Garda is identified arresting a known drug dealer or gang member and someone takes a picture of them and shares it on facebook etc and then they have the worries about someone identifying them and targeting their home or family.

Maybe you need to walk a mile in their shoes OP.

How would police in other countries deal with such a scenario?

I read an article this morning that NYPD are proposing body cameras for all of their officers. While our police force want to bring in a law which does the exact opposite. It doesnt add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

skywalker wrote: »
    I read an article this morning that NYPD are proposing body cameras for all of their officers. While our police force want to bring in a law which does the exact opposite. It doesnt add up.

They're proposing a ban on them wearing body cameras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

During the height of the water protests there were lots of posts on protest pages such as Edenmore Says No looking for the home address of Gardai in photos and threatening everything from getting a gang to call around to the family home to shooting the Garda and petrol bombing their station. That's what AGSI are referring to. Nobody cares if you want to put a video on YouTube of you being stopped at a checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Reati wrote: »
    Seems the real ban is that Identifying a Garda's name and home address on social media. Sounds like they are using this as a way to avoid been held accountable for things they do on duty which gets recorded. Trustworthy bunch they are and all.

I think that's a little unfair and assuming the worst. I can understand where they might be coming from - doing their job and then seeing their face plastered all over social media because some people didn't agree with them.

I don't agree with what they're trying to do, I think people should definitely be able to record members of the force if they think there is wrong doing going on. Don't think it's fair to say it's so the Gardai can abuse their powers and fcuk people over. I believe the majority of the force are actually decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Recording a video is one thing, it should always be legal. It's what you do afterwards that's the sticking point.

Where a video is posted online with a piece of text underneath it describing the situation, you have no idea if the text is accurate, if the video is accurate and if the video is complete.
    People can and do post videos online where the video has been heavily edited or cropped to remove the context and the accompanying information is either outright lies, or heavily one-sided.

Like that pipeline gowl who claimed the Gardai joked about raping her. Look at the storm she caused with her deceit.

And what happens from there stirs up anger, people go off and find out names and addresses, and suddenly from a Garda just doing his or her job, his entire family is at risk from some scumbag who's been made angry by proxy, because some other scumbag posted false information about the situation.

That's before you ignore the basic safety things. A video goes up, people start identifying the Garda, and then some scumbag who remembers being arrested by the Garda happens to spot it and decides he's bored, may as well go hock a few stones at the Garda's house and slash his tyres.

I do think it should be illegal to publish video of Gardai in the course of their duty, with "honest reporting" being a suitable defence for doing so.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They're proposing a ban on them wearing body cameras?

No their proposing that all their officers wear body cameras while on duty.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/8/15230524/new-york-city-police-department-nypd-body-camera-policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭FionnK86

During the height of the water protests there were lots of posts on protest pages such as Edenmore Says No looking for the home address of Gardai in photos and threatening everything from getting a gang to call around to the family home to shooting the Garda and petrol bombing their station. That's what AGSI are referring to. Nobody cares if you want to put a video on YouTube of you being stopped at a checkpoint.

Police should have body cameras for their own protection. Having talked with 3 guards over this issue, approach to policing has changed, we offered them a cup of tea when they came to check our house that was broken into. They couldnt have one for fear we might post it on Facebook that they were slacking.

Trial by Facebook is seriously undermining their respect around the country, decent guards are getting caught up in it.

How would you like it if someone came into your workplace, and recoreded you on facebook in work, or when your having a smoke break?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's one thing to film them, but to release their personal details on facebook is not right. That's the issue to address.

Often the real reasons for such laws are masked, as I believe they are in this case. There has been a footage of heavy handed Gardai taking liberties, which they would rather was not in the public eye. I believe that is the main reason for this.

*EDIT* Sensationalist headline is sensationalist, of course, the most important part is omitted by the OP and Indo "...then post this image on any media."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very simple set up specialized units to target drug dealers and other high end criminals like in the US where they wear full tactical gear including face mask/ cover.

No their proposing that all their officers wear body cameras while on duty.

But you said this about the gardai?!
    While our police force want to bring in a law which does the exact opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The devil is in the details here.
    I dont agree with a blanket ban on filming Gardai seeing as people should have the right to get evidence if a Gardai is acting unprofessionally.

If its just a case of online sharing of video, good luck enforcing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm totally opposed to a garda's private details being exposed, either deliberately or inadvertently. I don't think our photographic freedom laws are fantastic, I think people are far too free with their phone cameras and I dislike the culture of snapping people without their knowledge or permission. It's kind of indecent. I don't think it can or should be totally stopped but I think there could be a deterrant since it looks like some people don't have enough of a moral compass to stop themselves. But the gardai still have to be accountable and I would oppose any outright ban on recording them in public. Remember the pair of gardai who got recorded (by mistake afaik) talking about raping someone who was in their custody a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

So can I!

And it has a lot more to do with not being held accountable for their day to day actions than fear of reprisal from drug dealers.
    They gardai are now, and always have been, fond of bending the odd rule every now and again when the situation calls for it. This is only about covering their own arses, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How would police in other countries deal with such a scenario?

I really don't know.

I had a student shadowing me for a month in my office a few years ago.
    Couldn't take a phone call without him asking what it was about. He tried to follow me on one occasion and me after telling him I was going to the jacks and I had words with him on several other occasions.
    I doubt I could stick someone filming me at all.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But you said this about the gardai?!

What I meant was our force is proposing a move towards less transparency, whereas in the example I highlighted, and generally internationally police forces are moving towards more transparency. I hope that clarifies.

Remember the pair of gardai who got recorded (by mistake afaik) talking about raping someone who was in their custody a few years back?

I fairness - that was only a joke. A tasteless joke, but still only a joke nonetheless.

I'd be more concerned about their heavy handed treatment of people they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So every CCTV camera in the country would have to be removed because it might just catch a guard doing their job? Yeah right, thats gonna happen.

Think it through lads ...

What I meant was our force is proposing a move towards less transparency, whereas in the example I highlighted, and generally internationally police forces are moving towards more transparency.

Ok, but I would hope that's not what they're proposing.

• Advertisement

What I meant was our force is proposing a move towards less transparency.

I wonder why. It's scandal after scandal, getting caught out in lie after lie. Why in the name of god would they want more transparency - the organisation is fairly rotten, they want more secrecy, not openness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There are loads of videos of people recording interactions with gardai on YouTube , if someone videoed me in work I'd murder them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I fairness - that was only a joke. A tasteless joke, but still only a joke nonetheless.

I'd be more concerned about their heavy handed treatment of people they don't like.

I didn't actually know how it was said to be honest. I'm glad to hear that, not that it s an excuse, of course.

There is that, too. That's why I say they have to be accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There are loads of videos of people recording interactions with gardai on YouTube , if someone videoed me in work I'd murder them.

At least the murder would be recorded....

So every CCTV camera in the country would have to be removed because it might just catch a guard doing their job? Yeah right, thats gonna happen.

Of course not.
    But say little johnny scumbag whips out his (probably stolen) phone and catches garda McMucksavage thumping the head off his scumbag mate, the video would likely not be allowed to be used in evidence as it was illegally obtained.

Think that through....

I wonder why. It's scandal after scandal, getting caught out in lie after lie. Why in the name of god would they want more transparency - the organisation is fairly rotten, they want more secrecy, not openness.

Unfortunately thats what I glean from the proposal.

Im sure we all want an open fair police force that we can trust/be proud of. This seems like a step in the wrong direction to me. Body cameras on the other hand, seem like they would be a step in the right direction for all. Their is an unbiased account of any interaction between a guard and a member of the public. If anyone makes a threat to the guard or their families doesnt the guard themselves having a recording only help them in this regard?

If the problem is with people threatening individual guards or their families, rather than the actual recording, cant this be dealt with using existing legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, the discussion point here is not making it illegal to record Gardai, but making it illegal to publish without the Garda's consent. The Indo have of course sensationalised it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It's one thing to film them, but to release their personal details on facebook is not right. That's the issue to address.

Often the real reasons for such laws are masked, as I believe they are in this case. There has been a footage of heavy handed Gardai taking liberties, which they would rather was not in the public eye. I believe that is the main reason for this.

It's very wrong to implement such a law, some in the force will use this to administer their own law onto those who seem eligible.

What's going to take precedent when filming a Guard kneeing somebody in the head while they are on the ground? Will the evidence be dismissed? Will the person recording the incident face charges?

Like this case where the Garda was destroyed in the media and on social media before GSOC cleared him of all wrong doing and evidence about the violent nature of his "victim" came out.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/no-charges-for-garda-filmed-pepper-spraying-homeless-man-675963.html

It's not about the filming, it's about what's done with it. It's pretty common for this kind of footage to be edited before being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I read this on the IT this morning and I don't agree at all with stalking individual members online to try and find out where they live, intimidate them etc. People doing so should be identified themselves and prosecuted.

HOWEVER, given the never-ending scandals and corruption within our police force, I think it's actually VITAL that they can be held to account through video from the general public. It's one of the few instances where social medias can actually be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Then they will have to prosecute the offenders using regular procedures. I don't mind harder sentencing for threatening a police officer on social media.

But this is what the gagging law will actually be used for from Spanish experience:
    A Spanish woman has been fined €800 (£570) under the country’s controversial new gagging law for posting a photograph of a police car parked illegally in a disabled bay.

Advertisement