Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai want ban on people photographing and recording them on duty

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

howiya wrote: »
    I agree nobody should be naming/identifying gardaí.

If Gardai are acting inappropriately though footage should be shared without identifying them

Just Gardai?

This could be said about anyone, but here is the reality of it, you will not be able to stop it, once the media is shared you will not be able to stop people naming and shaming....

There was a program on trolling and what it came down to was freedom of speech, if someone tells lies and it is written you can sue them for liable...

The issue comes when you are not lying you are actually stating facts and still be prosecuted..... This is a slippery slope!
    Well the thread is about Gardaí and the example I originally posted about was the behaviour of the Chicago Airport police(probably not their correct title) in the United Airlines incident so yeah I'll stick to the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

howiya wrote: »
    Well the thread is about Gardaí and the example I originally posted about was the behaviour of the Chicago Airport police(probably not their correct title) in the United Airlines incident so yeah I'll stick to the topic

It is still the same topic, the proposal is to protect Gardai, but this really comes down to the possible abuse of power, to have a law to protect Gardai could allow for abuse and a situation where it becomes difficult for the public to protect themselves from Gardai acting badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

mynamejeff wrote: »
    you misunderstand . those tribunals dont have the power to prosecute some one .
    that was the political decision of the day to protect the like of Ben Dunne to Charles Haughey and Michael Lowry from prosecution

many of those involved in the donegal incident quit or were sacked and most were high raking older gardai. these events are 20 to 30 years ago at this stage

i wouldn't be surprised if some if not many are dead now ??

No I don't. You're missing the point. What did tha gardai do in response to the tribunal findings was a criminal investigation launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

"We cannot allow you to do that! We will fight you."
    Jean Luc Picard to Nagilum

""The Human Spirit is still alive"
    Bodhi in Point Break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

kuntboy wrote: »
    "We cannot allow you to do that! We will fight you."
    Jean Luc Picard to Nagilum

""The Human Spirit is still alive"
    Bodhi in Point Break

Kuntboy?????