Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2016 Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I have but can't decipher whether the workers there speak Polish or Lithuanian - thankfully this will be sorted when Polish becomes an official language. Speaking of generalisations and the Polish working in Lidl - have you been down the dole office lately? Plenty of 'em there too.

Not that many: 46978 non-irish out of a total of 267202. on the live register. when you break down that group, 26487 are from the EU15-EU28 countries (which comprises - Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia.

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=LRM09&PLanguage=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

54,000 speak French? - well oh-la-la.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was actually expecting those to tick no religion to be much higher but that's what I get for spending to much time on Boards/online.
    When I speak to teachers about kids and Communion/Confrontation. Their doesn't seem to be a lot more opting out of these ceremonies even tough theirs no issues with them doing it and it wouldn't effect their place in the school if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Your Face wrote: »
    54,000 speak French? - well oh-la-la.

Probably to Junior Cert standards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Probably to Junior Cert standards!

Qui.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

DO you still need to be an irish speaker to join the guards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Its the Catholic culture bollocks, people still get fooled by it. Unless of course they are just genuine and read the Bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Interesting to see the No Religion stats on younger age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Same applies for statistics on speaking the Irish language. Way overestimated.

I think part of the problem is the way the question is asked. AFAIR it says something like "Can you speak Irish". Technically I could answer yes to that due to the fact I know how to tell someone "I like ice-cream". However, if they asked "Are you fluent in Irish" or "Could you hold a conversation in Irish" then my answer would be a resounding no!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I have but can't decipher whether the workers there speak Polish or Lithuanian - thankfully this will be sorted when Polish becomes an official language. Speaking of generalisations and the Polish working in Lidl - have you been down the dole office lately? Plenty of 'em there too.

No I haven't, but I suspect its mainly skobes in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I think part of the problem is the way the question is asked. AFAIR it says something like "Can you speak Irish". Technically I could answer yes to that due to the fact I know how to tell someone "I like ice-cream". However, if they asked "Are you fluent in Irish" or "Could you hold a conversation in Irish" then my answer would be a resounding no!

Is maith liom reoiteog!

I'm bilingual

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Leitrim eh ... Nearly 30% vacant properties? Have people just upped and gone into Sligo or to Dublin? Nobody wants to be there is the vibe im getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

I predicted that the number of Catholics in the country would drop below 80% and it has! :eek: They are classing it as a sharp drop from the 2011 census. It could be below 70% in the next ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

__Alex__ wrote: »
    I predicted that the number of Catholics in the country would drop below 80% and it has! :eek: They are classing it as a sharp drop from the 2011 census. It could be below 70% in the next ten years.
    here's hoping.... time that virus was eradicated

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

GBX wrote: »
    Leitrim eh ... Nearly 30% vacant properties? Have people just upped and gone into Sligo or to Dublin? Nobody wants to be there is the vibe im getting.

30% = 30

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I was actually expecting those to tick no religion to be much higher but that's what I get for spending to much time on Boards/online.
    When I speak to teachers about kids and Communion/Confrontation. Their doesn't seem to be a lot more opting out of these ceremonies even tough theirs no issues with them doing it and it wouldn't effect their place in the school if they did.

Problem is its been proven time and again to be a horribly bias and weighted question. The first issue is it asks what is your religion instead of what is your belief system. Secondly the no religion option has massive negative connotations still in Ireland and if you want to choose something else you have to write agnosticism or atheism in instead of having them as a choice which comes back to the issue of asking about religion instead of belief system.

Also there needs to be a followup question to ask if you are actively practicing whatever you choose, the truthful answers to that question for catholics would raise some eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

30% = 30

Yeah theres not many dwellings within the county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    One thing I don't get about the Census is, if you are away on Census night, then none of your results count.

One of the aims of the Census apparently, is to plan for the future, as an example they ask how you get to work, do you have the internet, etc. I guess this is too see what kind of infrastructure planning is needed.

But last Census night I was out of the country, and was marked so. So my form pretty much want back, with no input from me. Surely if enough people were marked so, would that not affect overall results.

The idea is all the people who are on holidays etc in the country who fill out a form make up for the people who are out of the country.

This obviously doesn't help with the questions you mention but that's the way they look at it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Interesting to see the No Religion stats on younger age groups.

It would be interesting to see how the Catholic vs No Religion is spread across the ages. I'd say a lot of parents who identify as Catholic ticked the box for their kids even though many of them may not share their parents faith. Taking children out of the equation how many people can say they are Catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

The 90% figure is down to christenings, weddings, funerals and school places. If the census asked how many people believe and regularly go to mass id say it would be about 20% or 30%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

red ears wrote: »
    The 90% figure is down to christenings, weddings, funerals and school places. If the census asked how many people believe and regularly go to mass id say it would be about 20% or 30%.

Ah, I remember my years of being a catholic Irish speaking child. My mother never actually took me to mass or spoke Irish to me but of course we were Irish speaking Catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I see County Louth now has it's highest population since records began. It has just passed it's pre famine count.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I agree with what other posters say about the Polish, they come here to work and contribute to the country.

Our ethnic minority could do with taking a leaf out of their book.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

eviltwin wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how the Catholic vs No Religion is spread across the ages. I'd say a lot of parents who identify as Catholic ticked the box for their kids even though many of them may not share their parents faith. Taking children out of the equation how many people can say they are Catholic.

Do you genuinely think there are that many children under the age of 18 who do not share their parents faith? I don't think it'd make a whole lot of difference to the figures, as there are likely to be as many children under the age of 18 as adults over the age of 18, who aren't Catholic.

Ah, I remember my years of being a catholic Irish speaking child. My mother never actually took me to mass or spoke Irish to me but of course we were Irish speaking Catholics.

You seem to find it strange that your mother was able to advocate for you on your behalf until you would have been of an age where you could advocate for yourself? That's generally what parents are supposed to do for their children. In fact it's both a right and an obligation under the Irish Constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

You seem to find it strange that your mother was able to advocate for you on your behalf until you would have been of an age where you could advocate for yourself? That's generally what parents are supposed to do for their children. In fact it's both a right and an obligation under the Irish Constitution.

Yeah, I find it strange that my mother would consider us a part of a religion we never really practiced outside of presents at Christmas and chocolate eggs at Easter or saying we were Irish speakers but neither of us could talk to the other in a language other than English.

When a person says they are a part of a religion I have this mad idea that they might actually follow it. When someone tells me they speak English I also assume that they might speak English instead of looking at me confused when I try to talk to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

3.7m 'catholics' in Ireland or 78% of the population. This of course means that 3.7m people regularly attend mass (as we were taught to do in school like good catholics), 78% of the electorate voted against gay marriage (as per the church's teachings), 78% of the population refuse to work Sundays (in fairness I don't work sundays either, I agree with the catlicks on this one!), 78% of the population literally believe in transubstantiation (as per the church's teachings) etc etc etc

Tis a very aul catholic country alright. Ps does this mean that the government must now immediately reduce the number of state funded, catholic controlled primary schools from 96% to 78%, seen as how long they're using the 'majority argument' to justify the current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ps does this mean that the government must now immediately reduce the number of state funded, catholic controlled primary schools from 96% to 78%, seen as how long they're using the 'majority argument' to justify the current situation?

Short answer to that question is 'No'. The greatest factor which would have any influence on the funding provided for education for Catholic ethos schools would be the number of pupils enrolled in these schools by their parents. Less pupils = less funding, but the school would maintain it's Catholic ethos. This status couldn't be removed by Government even if they wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Short answer to that question is 'No'. The greatest factor which would have any influence on the funding provided for education for Catholic ethos schools would be the number of pupils enrolled in these schools by their parents. Less pupils = less funding, but the school would maintain it's Catholic ethos. This status couldn't be removed by Government even if they wanted to.

But a catholic school may be the only school in the area, therefore you have no real choice only to enroll your child in it, so high demand for catholic schools is another very misleading statistic. Anyway if they're catholic schools, why doesn't the catholic church fund them?

Ah I rarely ever believe line 'couldn't be removed/done/changed etc etc by government even if they wanted to', and I don't just mean in a religious context. The government isn't all powerful, but they have the power to do a hell of a lot once the will is there, sadly populism and inaction are the preferred options because the less you rock the boat the better your re-election chances. When a government says "we can't" they generally mean "shut up, I don't want to".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do you genuinely think there are that many children under the age of 18 who do not share their parents faith? I don't think it'd make a whole lot of difference to the figures, as there are likely to be as many children under the age of 18 as adults over the age of 18, who aren't Catholic.

I think there are a lot of children too young to know any better included in those figures. I assume most adults are accurate in their answers but you can't guarantee that for a child. It would be interesting to see the religious breakdown by age. I'd hazard a guess the No Religion is overwhelmingly under 40.

Advertisement