Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2016 Results

Options
  • 06-04-2017 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭

Some interesting stats - 10% of population stated they have "no religion" (475,000) and the number of Irish speakers has fallen for the first time since 1946. Net immigration fell by 28,000, but some variations, with a 78% spike in Spanish nationals (12,100), Brazilians up 56% (13,600) and Italians increasing by 53% (11,700). In terms of languages, Polish remains the most spoken foreign tongue with 135,000 speakers, but French surprisingly second on 54,000, followed by Romanian (36,000), Lithuanian (35,000) and Spanish (32,000).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

And the weather stats op?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

68% of stats are made up.

It would also be deadly OP if you gave an opinion on the stats posted rather then dumping them all as the thread opener.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Boom_Bap wrote: »

32% would disagree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

What's Sextons points average?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

And the weather stats op?

Still ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Personally, I think of number of No Religon is about 3 of 4 times too low.
    It's easily closer to 40%

Source: I said, didn't I!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Personally, I think of number of No Religon is about 3 of 4 times too low.
    It's easily closer to 40%

Source: I said, didn't I!
    Yeah, 1 in 10 people have No Religion. And close to 9 in 10 people are liars.

Same applies for statistics on speaking the Irish language. Way overestimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It would also be deadly OP if you gave an opinion on the stats posted rather then dumping them all as the thread opener.

Fourfty percent of people know that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

valoren wrote: »
    Fourfty percent of people know that.

5 in 8 of those people are not real.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

One thing I don't get about the Census is, if you are away on Census night, then none of your results count.

One of the aims of the Census apparently, is to plan for the future, as an example they ask how you get to work, do you have the internet, etc. I guess this is too see what kind of infrastructure planning is needed.

But last Census night I was out of the country, and was marked so. So my form pretty much want back, with no input from me. Surely if enough people were marked so, would that not affect overall results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ner.

Except in law enforcement where it's closer to 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Some interesting stats - 10% of population stated they have "no religion" (475,000) and the number of Irish speakers has fallen for the first time since 1946. Net immigration fell by 28,000, but some variations, with a 78% spike in Spanish nationals (12,100), Brazilians up 56% (13,600) and Italians increasing by 53% (11,700). In terms of languages, Polish remains the most spoken foreign tongue with 135,000 speakers, but French surprisingly second on 54,000, followed by Romanian (36,000), Lithuanian (35,000) and Spanish (32,000). - forrdinorz all over the gaff lads

Hmmm yes interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

No possessions - also up to 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah some interesting stuff there alright

A visual from http://www.cso.ie/en/census/census2016reports/census2016preliminaryreport/
    Prelim_results_infographic_Final_medium-833x487.png

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So in reality Polish is our second language

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

They are swimming to get out of Donegal!

I call for a Polish language act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I call for a Polish language act.

I call for a Polish bakery on every corner....mmmm.

It has been for the last decade.

Polish now has a stronger argument for being an official language of Ireland than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It has been for the last decade.

Polish now has a stronger argument for being an official language of Ireland than Irish.

Well they deserve it

they really have brought a lot to this country since they arrived

• Advertisement

Well they deserve it

They absolutely do.

In reality however, having one official language is optimum in Ireland, hence why Irish should lose its status immediately.

Well they deserve it

They absolutely do.

In reality however, having one official language is optimum in Ireland, hence why Irish should lose its status immediately.
    Fully agree. The Polish people deserve recognition. This is the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

They absolutely do.

But if we do that how would I look down my nose at all you non Irish speakers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

32% would disagree with you.
    Yeah yeah, fact is you can use statistics to prove anything you want, 85% of all people know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seanboylan87

They absolutely do, we should also change our flag to red and white and increase the amount of social welfare we give to Slavic babies born and bred in Slavic states

Fully agree. The Polish people deserve recognition. This is the way to do it.
    Indeed. And I don't even like using the word "deserve". But they have contributed a lot to this country. And most importantly, the numbers support the proposed status of Polish as an official language.

Reati wrote: »
    But if we do that how would I look down my nose at all you non Irish speakers...
    I'm sure you'll still find a way!
    They absolutely do, we should also change our flag to red and white and increase the amount of social welfare we give to Slavic babies born and bred in Slavic states
    If changing the flag, ideally it would be replaced with the EU flag. But that would be a harder case to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OWinter

Hilarious to hear George Hook try to spin the stats to suit his racist, xenophobic Catholic agenda. Great to see the numbers refute so many arguments the dinosaurs have been promoting the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I take it you haven't been to your local Lidl lately - vast majority of Poles are gainfully employed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 seanboylan87

I have but can't decipher whether the workers there speak Polish or Lithuanian - thankfully this will be sorted when Polish becomes an official language. Speaking of generalisations and the Polish working in Lidl - have you been down the dole office lately? Plenty of 'em there too.

Advertisement