Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctor Who Season 10 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suspect Bill will be a dividing character; she seems down to earth but her gobbiness could get annoying in the hands of the wrong writer.

Also, old-old school Cybermen! The originals no less, with the cloth masks (and presumably, those creepy sing song voices). Also spotted what looked like a female Ice Warrior...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I predict
    Peter Capaldi will regenerate at the end of this season (hence the return of the monsters defeated at his first regeneration) and we'll either get Chibnall's new Doctor for Christmas in a story penned by Moffat or a one off Doctor (female maybe) who only lasts the Christmas special and regenerates into Chibnall's choice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer popped up, with a few more glimpses of upcoming episodes. Only a wee or so to go. Must say the return of the very original design of the Cybermen is a surprise. They look creepy but still very kitchen-sink'esque :D (was going to spoiler-text the mention but given they're in the thumbnail of the video n' all ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

think they made the new companion openly gay.

Or I heard it wrong. No problem with that unless it becomes a major focus and takes away from wibbly wobbly, timey whimey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Yeah, it's confirmed, and apparently won't be a big deal

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39444025
    "[Being gay] is not the main thing that defines her character - it's something that's part of her and something that she's very happy and very comfortable with."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

BBC just dropped a pretty big surprise/spoil-the-****-out-of-it for series 10.
    John Simm's Master will go face-to-face with Gomez's Missy.

(Obviously, massive spoiler to all ye who click below)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/9ecdaaa1-10e1-45a7-a266-bdd7a1adcdf2

Should be fun.

Honestly, I'm in two minds about using my new mod-powers around here to remove that post :D

I'm actually kind of miffed with the BBC for landing that bombshell: this literally came out of nowhere - no set photos, no rumours, nothing - and the Beeb could have let it become a nice, organic surprise to get the internet & fandom talking. Yet, in their infinite wisdom they decided to blurt it out like an untrustworthy gossiper. Wish for once (John Hurt notwithstanding) the BBC would let a big reveal be a surprise. Same goes for the regeneration too.

(It didn't help mind you that I saw the news about 30 minutes earlier big & bold on the front-page of a blog :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I was kinda throwing it out there to start a discussion with anyone who's already been spoiled, but, yeah, it's somewhat annoying how they're not even trying to conceal the whoppers anymore. Even set-leaks were fun as we'd piece together how they'd do it, but now they just go "we'll do with this with this and it'll be fun." Seriously, it's a good case for not following the official DW sites on social media anymore as the spoiler-tagged image and headline above appeared front-and-centre on my Facebook feed without any prompting on my part. Didn't even have a chance.

member when BBC kept secrets and major plot twists?

pepperidge farm remembers

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Log on to Facebook first thing I see is a post from The Doctor Who page top of my news feed and a big smiling face.

Fcukers! I had no chance of missing it not one bloody warning to look away.

They must be worried about the lack of viewers to drop a major spoiler like that.

• Advertisement

Im still waiting for the Season 9 soundtrack.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Log on to Facebook first thing I see is a post from The Doctor Who page top of my news feed and a big smiling face.

Fcukers! I had no chance of missing it not one bloody warning to look away.

They must be worried about the lack of viewers to drop a major spoiler like that.
    Yup, one of my friends shared it too. Would have been nice to not know about it and have it as a surprise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah I got facebooked too. Would have been a tremendous surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm baffled that they'd completely spoil it like that. It wasn't even a clickbait style thing, just a big old
    HEY JOHN SIMMS IS BACK AS THE MASTER GUYS
    thing.

The only reason I can think of them doing that is because they've completely panicked due to kind of meh rating for the last season or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭tritium

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm baffled that they'd completely spoil it like that. It wasn't even a clickbait style thing, just a big old
    HEY JOHN SIMMS IS BACK AS THE MASTER GUYS
    thing.

The only reason I can think of them doing that is because they've completely panicked due to kind of meh rating for the last season or so.

Dunno, with old school cybermen back maybe theres an even bigger twist in the offing

Ww can hope anyway:)

maybe they are going to go all Kelvin on it and reboot..........

Hmmm, so we've tended to have threads for each episode every season, but I'm thinking perhaps this year we just keep it all on this thread & unify the chat as the season progresses.

So when the season actually kicks-off I'll edit the thread title to include "*** SPOILERS ***" warning and let folks use their common sense. What do people think, or would you all prefer per-episode threads?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, so we've tended to have threads for each episode every season, but I'm thinking perhaps this year we just keep it all on this thread & unify the chat as the season progresses.

So when the season actually kicks-off I'll edit the thread title to include "*** SPOILERS ***" warning and let folks use their common sense. What do people think, or would you all prefer per-episode threads?

Ah now,

Wouldn't be a Doctor Who forum without your thread for each season ;)

Ah now,

Wouldn't be a Doctor Who forum without your thread for each season ;)

Haha, it is a tradition, isn't it? :D :P

I think Dr. Who has become a bit of a staple of TV these days, there's not quite the ubiquitous buzz around each new episode than when it was still fresh & new, and IMO that reflects in less activity seen in the episode threads lately.

Seems like one big thread might focus the conversation better, & in theory make for a bit more continuous chat. That's the theory anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just two more days to go, the excitement is kicking in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I've really enjoyed Capaldi's run, then again I'm an ould fart so what would I know.

1. Baker
    2. Tennant
    3. Capaldi

For me.

Mod note: so this thread will be used for all discussion of season 10 as & after it airs. Obviously anyone not wanting to be spoiled on episodes they haven't yet watched should take this into account and exercise caution when reading peoples' posts!

So not long to go until the start of Capaldi's last run!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mod note: so this thread will be used for all discussion of season 10 as & after it airs. Obviously anyone not wanting to be spoiled on episodes they haven't yet watched should take this into account and exercise caution when reading peoples' posts!

So not long to go until the start of Capaldi's last run!

Could we create another thread with no spoilers just guess work? Like the game of thrones thread.

Could we create another thread with no spoilers just guess work? Like the game of thrones thread.

Hmm, perhaps though I would think any guessing or speculation could be caught on this threas via cautious spoiler tag usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

AH NEARLLY MISSED IT. Was checking guide for something else and and went oh cramp (or words like that) series linked now so can not miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I know I will come across somewhat sexist here but there were all ways characters I see as male James Bond Jack Reacher (if they can make a 5ft person anything possible) and The Doctor. Now that is not to say I would turn off and they would probably grow on me but it was what I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really really enjoyed that I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I pretty gave up last season. I just got bored with it and the companion. Thought she was gonna be really interesting initially but then: Meh.

However I really liked that episode. From the trailers Bill looked pretty annoying but I thought she was pretty good. Thought the relationship between her and Evil-Willow/Girl-from-Let-The-Right-One-In was well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Have to say that I really, really enjoyed that episode. That trailer at the end looks really great too. Original cybermen and tje ice warriors are back too! This is going to be a really great season!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Not sure about anybody else, but Moffat has been a huge let-down for me....
    I think there's been a lack of imagination and invention on the show during his reign....the flashes of inspiration have been rare and it has descended into same old same old.
    A bit less of the ould Deux Ex Machina please.
    I suspect that most of Moffat's better ideas have been exhausted on Sherlock...well, now that that's abeyance,maybe the current series will show improvement....

Advertisement