Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctor Who Season 10 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Good episode. Also kind of a reboot. Somebody coming to this for the first time would get it all explained. The double meaning of The Pilot.

Bill is likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The first episode in a few seasons now (not that I haven't enjoyed them, but there always seemed to be a lack of something in recent years), that had me 100% back on board... Loved Bill, Capaldi is on top form and great to see Nardole as a fully fledged companion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good episode, built on the foundations of good actors.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Strong opener and I was pleasantly surprised by Bill who hadn't initially come across well in promos. I really want the Doctor to just have a regular companion - nobody ultra special, nobody who the universe revolves around, but closer to another Donna.

Nice touch with the pictures of Riversong and Susan too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought was an entertaining, solid opener; definitely came across as a sorta soft-reboot, & good introduction were anyone to dip their toes for the first time into the world of Dr. Who. A small-scale story with fairly small-scale stakes, coupled with some great little character beats for both the Doctor & Bill. Nordole was just ... kinda there.

Bill herself was a pleasant surprise: lots of charm and blunt self-awareness without coming across as smug. Definitely a winner there.

So... speculation corner; what do we think is in the vault? Actual relevance to the season arc or just coincidence? :D

Also, I think that episode had the most endearingly old-school & otherwise best-forgotten shoutout to the original series:
    The Movellans, the disco robots from Destiny of the Daleks
    :D

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, so we've tended to have threads for each episode every season, but I'm thinking perhaps this year we just keep it all on this thread & unify the chat as the season progresses.

So when the season actually kicks-off I'll edit the thread title to include "*** SPOILERS ***" warning and let folks use their common sense. What do people think, or would you all prefer per-episode threads?

One thread would do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

exaisle wrote: »
    Not sure about anybody else, but Moffat has been a huge let-down for me....<snip>

Actually, thinking about it, the two last episodes of series 9, Heaven Sent and Hell Bent just about make up for the stuff that went before... Maybe I've been a bit harsh on SM..... ;-)

Jury is still out....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Really enjoyed that, felt like a quite different vibe to the last series (which was needed, I'd be someone who enjoys Moffatt, but felt like it was time for something new).

Bill is a good companion, a normal person in an insane world, exactly what I like in them!

Anyone else get a slight 3rd Doctor vibe of the episode? Older, grey curly hair doctor, velvet coat, dealing with the British establishment, a tie to the Earth they can't stray too far from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

So... speculation corner; what do we think is in the vault? Actual relevance to the season arc or just coincidence? :D
    The Master?

Orion wrote: »
    The Master?

This was my first idea but it's almost too obvious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What was the promise the Doctor made? Am I forgetting something from the end of the last season?

Sleepy wrote: »
    What was the promise the Doctor made? Am I forgetting something from the end of the last season?

I don't think so, I reckon it'll be revealed later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭jasonb

Sleepy wrote: »

I can't remember exactly, but I thought it was either a promise to never travel alone again (as he needs someone with him), or the opposite, a promise to never bring someone with him again (as they end up being hurt). To me, the promise was definitely about whether he should 'get involved' with Bill or not, and he was looking at two other companions' pictures while talking, wasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Do anyone know if the first episode be repeated on bbc before the next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, like many of us have been since last season, I came into this completely skeptical and ready to be disappointed.

I wasn't too happy with the guitar playing Doctor at the start because I just find it a bit cheesy, however, everything else was fantastic.

The story was solid, that little bit of fear in the episode and whilst the ending was kind of obvious from past stories, it was still very good.

Bill is, well Bill is fantastic. She reminds me a bit of Rose in just how accepting and thrilled she is by everything and Capaldi really really grabbed me again.

I can honestly say I'm excited for the rest of the season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was my first idea but it's almost too obvious...

Same here, especially as
    The Master appears in the trailers, and John Simm's presence was already spoiled by the BBC. Would be terribly anticlimactic if what was behind the door was already 'seen' by the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Yes, it will be on BBC 2, overnight fri/sat, 3.55 to 4.45am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

annoying how Sky still doesnt have BBC catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

wench wrote: »

Just to warn you though, it's part of the "Sign Zone" so you will have a person on screen performing sign language throughout the dialogue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Advertisement

Huh. The BBC Radio Times reprinting a rumour, from The Mirror, about a show that airs on the BBC. That seems weird, or it might just be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

wench wrote: »
    flazio wrote: »
    Just to warn you though, it's part of the "Sign Zone" so you will have a person on screen performing sign language throughout the dialogue.

Thanks for that. Couldn't find it in the listings.

Huh. The BBC Radio Times reprinting a rumour, from The Mirror, about a show that airs on the BBC. That seems weird, or it might just be me.

The Beeb hasn't owned the RT for a few years. Though I'd imagine they still have people, who know people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Bill was exceptional. Was really worried having watched the trailers. A great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭jasonb

Nothing about tonight's episode? Didn't think I'd be first!

I thought it was good, couldn't focus on it fully so I missed a couple of lines and will have to watch it again. The concept seemed familiar ('arrive at a place, where is everyone, what are the robots up to') and reminded me in places of 'Silence In The Library' and 'The Beast Below'.

There was some good lines and interactions between Bill and the Doctor as she slowly gets used to him and what he does. I do think it's hard for the different writers to come up with the same questions and same answers every time the Doctor meets someone new, but I think they're doing it well this time and it feels real and new.

Favourite lines were 'I'm happy, and I hope you're happy too' and the line about there being a Scotland on every planet looking for independence (or something like that!).

I'll watch this one again before I fully decide about it...

J.

I had started watching it, but something came up 15 minutes in so had to pause. What little I saw I really enjoyed. Easy going and very 'first adventure' for Bill. Though considering the only other credit the writer had was for 'In the Forest of the Night' my expectations are pretty low :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I enjoyed it and felt it followed on nicely from last week. The concept was interesting and made for a good episode - I enjoyed the pacing as it gave us an opportunity to see how Bill & The Doctor work as duo, although I thought the resolution to the predicament was a bit too big red button-y which would be my main criticism, although big red button resolutions and Doctor Who tend to go hand in hand anyway, so it's not a huge negative all things considered.

Thought it was good overall. Visually stunning due to the location filming, and the story (while not unique) supported the main purpose of having Bill and the Doctor bond and get to know each other more. For a second new companion/Doctor episode it ticked the boxes. Certainly beat Amy on a space whale or Clara defeating an alien parasite with a bloody leaf.

Mackie, I think it hitting it out of the park as Bill and even Capaldi seem to have much more spark in him. They seem to interplay wonderfully off each other.

Capaldi seems much more relaxed and to be enjoying himself.

Either it's the change in personnel, and ties to Matt Smith, or that he's leaving, so pressure is off.
    It'll be good to see what he can do with the role now

• Advertisement

I have enjoyed Capaldi's run the whole way through.

Again , a simple tale made stronger by the strengths of the actors.

Advertisement