Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit: The Last Stand (No name calling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The Spanish and Dutch accuse UK of loosing cool before the Brexit negotiations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39475127

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Just like in Theory the UK government can stop a Scottish referendum on independence, .

That is the reality we are facing and the other reality is the Sewel Convention is not legally enforcable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

steddyeddy wrote: »

In fairness most people are of the opinion the Brits have lost their cool. Massive escalation of the situation from them.

Remember this is in response to the fact that Spain have a veto in any trade deal the EU has with Gibraltar. That is all and seems fair enough given the amount of trade Gibraltar does with Spain. Talk of war or protecting sovereignty is at best a complete over reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

As Widdicombe once said about Michael Howard, "there is something of the night about him." Howard is a dinosaur and an idiot. His fatuous ramblings should be taken in that context.

As Widdicombe once said about Michael Howard, "there is something of the night about him." Howard is a dinosaur and an idiot. His fatuous ramblings should be taken in that context.

The thing is Downing st refused to condemn his remarks today.

• Advertisement

Spain drums up EU support as Brexit row brews over Gibraltar
    The EU will not back down in its support for Spain’s demands when it comes to the Rock of Gibraltar in Brexit negotiations, senior European diplomats have said.... The prime minister added that the British government would “never enter into arrangements under which the people of Gibraltar would pass under the sovereignty of another state against their freely and democratically expressed wishes

Ahem. Hong Kong? The British will always sell out when they're overpowered.
    Former leader of the British Conservative party Michael Howard has said that Theresa May will show the 'same resolve' over Gibraltar as Margaret Thatcher did over the Falkland Islands....

They just don't get it. They think it's 1870 or something and they're still calling the shots. Delusional. That word keeps coming back again and again to describe them accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Can't think of a better way to shoot yourself in both feet. Threatening war before you start negotiating with people from whom you want far more than they want from you. The Little Englanders have become intoxicated by their own hubris.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Remember this is in response to the fact that Spain have a veto in any trade deal the EU has with Gibraltar. That is all and seems fair enough given the amount of trade Gibraltar does with Spain. Talk of war or protecting sovereignty is at best a complete over reaction.

Precisely. But by the time the British media and their Tory politicians twist it John Bull is feeling like a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭josip

Christy42 wrote: »
    So you assumed. Should Germany also start talking about if the UK starts a bombing raids against them?..

Please read my 2 posts again and point out where I assumed this?
    I originally asked a question because I was interested why some posters were discussing current military capabilities
    josip wrote: »
    Do people really believe that the EU would condone or ignore an illegal invasion of Gibraltar by Spain?

..twice,
    I asked under what circumstances, if any, they think this military intervention would occur?

since after the first time I asked, some posters didn't understand that it was a question.
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    He just made it up

So I'll try asking one more time. Does any poster who earlier discussed the British military capability vis-a-vis a Gibraltar intervention, think that such a military intervention could occur for any reason other than a Spanish invasion? (Which l think everybody agrees is a ridiculous suggestion?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Thomas__

Can't think of a better way to shoot yourself in both feet. Threatening war before you start negotiating with people from whom you want far more than they want from you. The Little Englanders have become intoxicated by their own hubris.

Mrs May and her puppets are running mad already. If one thinks it can´t go lower, there is always an idiot in or inclined to that govt who makes an even more insane remark. If that´s not the start of the decline of the UK, I wonder what else has to come yet to see them having a nervous breakdown and throwing fits by every threat they are dishing out. They seem to be thinking that there won´t be any interference from the other mad-head over in the USA cos he´s already talking about taking on North-Korea and start a war there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

steddyeddy;103105853
    what the hell are you actually on about?

Probrably about the sabre rattling that the UK has produced in the last two days fred. We've seen the defense secretary, Howard and a former navy commander talk about how Britain's navy could destroy Spain. Fairly jingoistic stuff.
    I'd be fairly worried if that wasn't the case.

steddyeddy;103105853

Probrably about the sabre rattling that the UK has produced in the last two days fred. We've seen the defense secretary, Howard and a former navy commander talk about how Britain's navy could destroy Spain. Fairly jingoistic stuff.

Unionist siege mentality again.

steddyeddy;103105853

Unionist siege mentality again.
    For the glory of England and her Empire ma'm. 

Spain have no chance of taking Gibraltar unless they want Madrid flattened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

OFFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just a causal throwaway comment about murdering millions of people, no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There not wrong.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There's a lot of delusion, Gove was out batting a few weeks ago about Mays suspected catholicism as if it were the 1530s again!

You have perfectly summed up the little Englander mentality. The sooner that Scotland gets away from this mess the better.

catbear wrote: »
    There's a lot of delusion, Gove was out batting a few weeks ago about Mays suspected catholicism as if it were the 1530s again!

Yes I've seen that. Gove, an educated man said this:
    “Britain’s path to preeminence in the past followed our break with Catholicism and embrace of the Reformation. We pursued a global, maritime, buccaneering, individualistic, liberal destiny — the spirit of our capitalism was infused with a very Protestant ethic. Now that we are once more freeing ourselves from a conformist Continent to make our own way in the world the question of whether we need to be more radical to maximise opportunities or more cautious to reassure and protect is central to our politics.”

It is a simple fact as evidenced by politicians in the UK and posters here that the British Empire was a noble cause and is ethos should be preserved.

catbear wrote: »

Yes I've seen that. Gove, an educated man said this:
    “Britain’s path to preeminence in the past followed our break with Catholicism and embrace of the Reformation. We pursued a global, maritime, buccaneering, individualistic, liberal destiny — the spirit of our capitalism was infused with a very Protestant ethic. Now that we are once more freeing ourselves from a conformist Continent to make our own way in the world the question of whether we need to be more radical to maximise opportunities or more cautious to reassure and protect is central to our politics.”

It is a simple fact as evidenced by politicians in the UK and posters here that the British Empire was a noble cause and is ethos should be preserved.

He´s as well like his mates talking utter sh1te and it is exactly this what attracts many Brexiteers to follow that crap, deludud to the hilt and dreaming of an gone Empire that was everything but that what this man thinks and says it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Honestly, the Brits are as bad as the Japanese and the Turks, when its comes to addmission of there past crimes.

So I'll try asking one more time. Does any poster who earlier discussed the British military capability vis-a-vis a Gibraltar intervention, think that such a military intervention could occur for any reason other than a Spanish invasion? (Which l think everybody agrees is a ridiculous suggestion?)

No I don't, hence the extreme stupidity of the British threat. There is no threat of invasion so there was no need to talk about crippling Madrid.

Sinn Fein are in talks in Northern Ireland at the moment. Do you think it would be wise for them to randomly bring up the fact that they could bomb London to smithereens if they don't get their way? That's exactly what the British are doing. Issuing provocative threats.

You have perfectly summed up the little Englander mentality. The sooner that Scotland gets away from this mess the better.
     I am glad that May would be willing to defend the rights of the people of Gibraltar with military force if needs be. You would have thought the Spanish would have learned the lessons of the Armada and that pillock Phillip II. I think May needs to keep in mind that you can't trust the damn French and Spanish.

The inferiority complex of them is breaking through by such comments, as to see in the post you´ve quoted from this other poster. I think that this has all been under the surface all along and now breaks out like a disease.

I am glad that May would be willing to defend the rights of the people of Gibraltar with military force if needs be. You would have thought the Spanish would have learned the lessons of the Armada and that pillock Phillip II. I think May needs to keep in mind that you can't trust the damn French and Spanish.

I think the Spanish have moved on from the days of armada and empire. I reall think you Brits should move on too. It's not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ahem. Hong Kong? The British will always sell out when they're overpowered.

In fairness, their lease on HK had an expiry date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Good luck with that one, would be interesting to see which of NATO or the EU would destroy the UK first were they to try such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

do me a favour.

Step out in to the streets and share your patronising, self righteous views with the English people you live and work with.

For a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

First Up wrote: »
    In fairness, their lease on HK had an expiry date.

aah, now you're just letting facts get in the way of one of Fauranach's rants.

• Advertisement

I think that your posts are either becoming more ridiculous or insufferable and I am yet to decide which one it is. It´s people like you who have learned nothing from history, really nothing and worse than this, refuse to accept that the past is gone for ever, never to return. But do continue with that bull crap of yours for this might bring even more Scots to vote for Independence in order to leave that sinking ship by the name "UK".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement