Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit: The Last Stand (No name calling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

The people of Gibraltar have to decide what future they want.
    They will follow the example of her Majesty the Queen. They want to stay British.

"The people will decide what they want...actually scratch that, they'll do what they're told"
    The cognitive dissonance is giving me a migraine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

I'm certainly no fan of the Tory's, but Heseltine was astute when it came to realpolitik. If Britain suffers economically clearly it will have some knock on effect on us, nevertheless, it's a process we must go through and if the result of it is a weakening and break up of the British state then it has to welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I cried laughing after hearing about gibraltar, as if more evidence was needed about how little thought was put into the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

VinLieger wrote: »
    I cried laughing after hearing about gibraltar, as if more evidence was needed about how little thought was put into the whole thing

I'm pro-remainer living in England and I didn't even predict that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

steddyeddy wrote: »

It isn't your job to predict it, it is however Her Majesties Governments to. And they didn't. Not even a mention in the A50 letter.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Anita Blow wrote: »
    The people of Gibraltar have to decide what future they want.
    They will follow the example of her Majesty the Queen. They want to stay British.

"The people will decide what they want...actually scratch that, they'll do what they're told"
    The cognitive dissonance is giving me a migraine
    They want to remain British.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They may find they are not in the best place to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I know a few people that work there and they all live in La Linea de la concepcion. They were pretty nervous coming up to the vote and have been considering moving back to Ireland or to England since. The Spanish can make things very awkward very quickly for Gibraltar and have done on numerous occasions. Is a horrid little place anyway, dirty, full of scruffy monkeys and reeks of urine

First Up wrote: »

They may find they are not in the best place to do it.
    Government officials have come out to defend Gibraltar. No chance they will not want to remain in the empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,397 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hard to believe that the UK 'forgot' or 'overlooked' mention of Gibraltar.
    More likely they were hoping it wouldn't become a battleground.
    Spain clearly has a different view.

Spain 1 Britain 0

All to play for in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Government officials have come out to defend Gibraltar. No chance they will not want to remain in the empire.

What they want and what they end up with might not be the same. It won't be their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Gibraltar may have voted 99% to remain part of the UK, but they also voted 96% remain in the recent Brexit referendum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A guy from Gibraltar was talking there on Sky giving out that Ireland wasn't on their side over the wording about Spain in Donald Tusks statement.
    Irony overload.

Doesn't that guy realise that Spain isn't the only country in the EU that has territory occupied by the UK ?

Cyprus for example.

Anyway it's win-win for Spain, the future of Santander and other Spanish companies in the UK is looking a whole better now, compared to the cost of the UK exchequer of subsidising Gibraltar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Empire...... Lol the sun set on that a LONG time ago

It may not be up to then what happens to gibraltar which is highly ironic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First Up wrote: »
    Everyone knows what the UK wants. The only thing to be negotiated is the price.
    True.

The problems are that the UK isn't even offering the €60Bn remaining on the contract for cancelling early, and in addition the EU wants Freedoms for it's citizens.

And all this has been known for ages.

Bringing Gibraltar into the conversation was all the fault of the EU. Showing their true colours.
    Doing this gives Spain leverage in other areas of the Brexit deal.

The Gibraltar issue has been going on for hundreds of years, and has come up time and time again. So not exactly a surprise.

Look at the history , there's the tobacco smuggling. The artificial reef. And the 96% vote to stay in the EU, all clue as to what might happen.

Also I'm sure the good people of Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Cornwall are OK with all the attention being given to Gibraltar.

What is the story on Cornish pasties? I read something about them the other day on Brexit, I hope that issue can be resolved.

What is the story on Cornish pasties? I read something about them the other day on Brexit, I hope that issue can be resolved.
    Baby and bath water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union
    Three European Union schemes of geographical indications and traditional specialties, known as protected designation of origin (PDO), protected geographical indication (PGI), and traditional specialities guaranteed (TSG), promote and protect names of quality agricultural products and foodstuffs.

Inside the EU regional names are protected.

Outside it's like
    Wild World by Cat Stevens

You say you want to start something new
    And it's breaking my heart you're leaving
    Baby, I'm grieving

But if you want to leave, take good care
    Hope you have a lot of nice things to wear
    But then a lot of nice things turn bad out there

Oh baby baby it's a wild world
    It's hard to get by just upon a smile
    Oh baby baby it's a wild world

But if you want to leave take good care
    Hope you make a lot of nice friends out there
    But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Outside it's like
    Wild World by Cat Stevens

Even Wensleydale?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Will Britain not just clone that law in its great repeal copy-pastie bill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Will Britain not just clone that law in its great repeal copy-pastie bill?

I would imagine that the name could be used inside other EU countries once brexit goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I would imagine that the name could be used inside other EU countries once brexit goes ahead.

So we could make and sell Cornish Pasties to our English tourists?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

BBDBB wrote: »
    Yes. And by the same token the actual amounts involved are important, given the massive sums involved, to ignore that and obscure it is simply disingenuous in order to support a political agenda

The U.K. Will not make that sacrifice, if you think they will, then you may have a point. But I can assure you, you have seriously misunderstood the uk position and attitude. Everyone here is saying how the uk has made its bed and now they are going to pay the price. Do you seriously think that all the EU need to do is go to each of the 27 and ask what's on their Christmas list? What to you want the GB to bring you this year? And then when that's all done the uk will cough up to enter the single market and still be a good, cooperative neighbour

The art of any negotiations not telling the other side what you want, it's not about being in the position to hurt the other side more or less than they hurt you, it's not about squeezing the last drop out of them, it's about keeping both sides around the table, keeping the dialogue going or else what's the point of having negotiations at all? Just send a letter back, Thanks, sorry you are going, here's your wine bill, here's how much it's going to cost you to trade going forward and here is our list of demands not to invade you because we are bigger than you

Getting 27 individuals to agree a strategy is problematic, to think otherwise is naive. They all have a veto, Ie the power to put the brakes on, do you really believe that 26 will allow 1 to scupper progress, create uncertainty and delay a productive future? I don't. The bigger picture is too valuable to all, for that to be permitted.

Even in total amounts the UK has the most to lose out of any individual country here.

No not every country will get what they want out of this but the final result will end up a lot closer to the EU's wish list than the UK's. To begin with the single market is off the table. I don't even think Spain will get what it wants entirely. It will however pretty much define the terms of the agreement (aside from the UK still technically owning the place I would guess). Aside from being able to say they technically own it I don't see the UK fighting hard over it when it is an easy thing to let slide to get Spain a bit nicer at the negotiating table.

The EU has yet to stop the UK from creating uncertainty and delay a productive future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Christy42 wrote: »
    No not every country will get what they want out of this but the final result will end up a lot closer to the EU's wish list than the UK's.

Once upon a time, we had to pretend that the substance mattered, but nope. not any more. The anti-EU brexit numbnuts have shown their colours - facts do not matter, just winning.

Let them all rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So we could make and sell Cornish Pasties to our English tourists?

giphy.gif

Scotch whiskey maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Grayson wrote: »
    Scotch whisky maybe?

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Christy42 wrote: »
    Even in total amounts the UK has the most to lose out of any individual country here.

No not every country will get what they want out of this but the final result will end up a lot closer to the EU's wish list than the UK's. To begin with the single market is off the table. I don't even think Spain will get what it wants entirely. It will however pretty much define the terms of the agreement (aside from the UK still technically owning the place I would guess). Aside from being able to say they technically own it I don't see the UK fighting hard over it when it is an easy thing to let slide to get Spain a bit nicer at the negotiating table.

The EU has yet to stop the UK from creating uncertainty and delay a productive future.

How much in euros will the EU lose ? If it's tuppence then yeah you
    have a point, if it's billions of euros then I'm right, the sum of money is too big to simply shrug and allow the deal to not be made, that's the point I was making. The argument that the uk will suffer more because the Euro is bigger is true but it was never an argument I was advocating

Right, so whilst the 27 nations will indeed have their own priorities, they won't all be realised and therefore they won't be permitted by their EU colleagues to block the whole thing over something meaningful to only them. They will be allowed to stamp their feet but eventually the EU will have to present a united front in the extent and parameters of their requirements. I happen to think that the uk stance over Gibraltar will be an absolute no, I don't see them budging on it, clearly others think otherwise, fair enough. But if I'm right, Spain will eventually be brought into line by the EU to allow progress to be made, that's why, to answer the original question, the Eu will blink first on this one.

I'm fairly sure the uk wants the uncertainty to disappear every bit as much, possibly more so, given what's at stake

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

snowflaker wrote: »
    fyp

Doh!

Although Scotland may not need to worry about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/02/spain-drops-plan-to-impose-veto-if-scotland-tries-to-join-eu
    Spain has said it would not veto an attempt by an independent Scotland to join the EU, in the clearest sign yet that Brexit has softened Madrid’s longstanding opposition.

Alfonso Dastis, the Spanish foreign minister, made it clear that the government would not block an independent Scotland’s EU hopes, although he stressed that Madrid would not welcome the disintegration of the UK. He also said Edinburgh would have to apply for membership, a process fraught with uncertainty that is likely to take several years.

Asked directly whether Spain would veto an independent Scotland joining the EU, Dastis said: “No, we wouldn’t.”

That's removed the biggest obstacle to an independent Scotland entering the EU. Sure, there's still an ascension process but there was no way they'd join if a member vetoed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Doh!

Although Scotland may not need to worry about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/02/spain-drops-plan-to-impose-veto-if-scotland-tries-to-join-eu

That's removed the biggest obstacle to an independent Scotland entering the EU. Sure, there's still an ascension process but there was no way they'd join if a member vetoed them.
    Looks like they have finally decided that they cannot be seen to be an obstacle to an independent Scotland re-joining the EU, assuming Brexit happens first.
    Presumably, the issue of Catalan breaking away and remaining in the EU will be treated as an internal affair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement