Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Civic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The civic also has proper independent rear suspension unlike the megane

Anyone drive the 1.5 petrol yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Had a spin in the 1 litre today. Was told it would be another two weeks before they'd have 1.5s in. They thought they'd have them this week but they didn't.

I couldn't live with the coarseness of the 3 pot personally (my diesel is actually quieter!) but it moves, could easily be mistaken for something bigger. Certainly feels quicker than herselfs 1.8 civic. They sorted the overly light steering and it feels well engineered, very little suspension noise. Bit too much road noise once up to speed but I think that's the Michelin tyres.

Cost to change is the same as cars costing 7-8k more though so i cant see a deal being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's as ugly as sin, worse than it's predecessor and that's a fair achievement. Surprised anyone would test drive one on that basis alone tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jack67

Your entitled to your opinion , however I think its a massive improvement on the 9th generation civic .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's as ugly as sin, worse than it's predecessor and that's a fair achievement. Surprised anyone would test drive one on that basis alone tbh.

I bought one partly because I love how it looks. It's such a marmite car though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭dunnerc

ha ha compared to the boring unreliable vw golf its a dream machine lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

sozbox wrote: »
    I bought one partly because I love how it looks. It's such a marmite car though

I like the new car... Very distinctive.. Love curves on the side... Didn't stop me changing my civic tourer for a new Octavia... Hondas at least are never boring

So because you think its ugly as sin ,you reckon nobody should test drive it ?? who do you work for mate ? boring lying VW is it ??

Tbh in the flesh it's not bad, the weirdness works. I'd rather drive one and see if it works as opposed to blindly signing up for the same again tbh. I'm happy with what I have (and think it's the better car) but I still would find it hard to order another one without checking out other options.

jack67 wrote: »
    So because you think its ugly as sin ,you reckon nobody should test drive it ?? who do you work for mate ? boring lying VW is it ??

You can test drive whatever you like "mate". I won't lose any sleep over your choices!

@Sozbox - fair play, I didn't mean any offence, well wear with it. Sure if we all liked the same thing...

• Advertisement

like wise mate I wont lose any sleep over your lazy comments, enjoy the boring lying vw model !

like wise mate I wont lose any sleep over your lazy comments, enjoy the boring lying vw model !

How was it lazy? I expressed an opinion. The looks aren't to my taste and judging from other comments in this thread, I'm not alone - including from the guy who actually bought one, they're "marmite".

I never brought VW into the discussion but you've clearly done a bit of research.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think the only appeal it has for me anyway, is that it's a two fingers to the conventional mound that cars are being made in these days.
    I've said before that it just didn't do it for me in the flesh. There are a lot of "bad" lines on it, and a good few gimmicky embellishments that will date horribly. I really wanted to like it though.
    I wouldn't berate anyone for buying one of course, and it does have its good points like the interior.

I don't know why you're getting so wound up Jack (or should I say "mate"?). Did you own a Honda and I've upset you? I gave my opinion. You didn't like it. Move on.

Yeah I edited the last comment as I didn't want to derail / inflame the thread any further.

Lol. And then you've gone and edited your post too. Quality.

Clown isn't even a swear word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Wow calm down , its only a car lol... mind you being an new owner I have to say I love its curves, its performance etc ,not everyones cup of tea but I don't care I'm loving it lol...

Just returning like for like " joe " as for quality you don't have any mate !
    did I upset you with your boring bland lying vw brand comment ?

I'm gutted Jack, my ol mate. Absolutely gutted. I'll have to do a few launch controls tomorrow to restore my faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Family member Ordered a 1.5 s design with gt pack at launch, roughly 12 week lead time on it though. The only downside i found from the demo is the rear shelf or lack therof which just feels cheap.

Interior and seat position i felt is more driver orientated and somewhat sportier that previous models. The car is lower in the flesh and not as long as i expected from seeing the initial videos online.

Id agree its a bit of a marmite car though, as i feel the 8th and 9th gens were at launch too.

Personally its the type r that i have my eye on, but keep swaying back towards the 9th gen, ill pull the trigger one of these days!

Here is the discussion around the 05 Civic before launch!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=285846
    bazz26 wrote: »
    These are the offical photo releases from Honda.

I'm undecided about the styling but I will reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh.

Haven't seen any photos of the 3 dr hatch or Type-R yet.
    drdre wrote: »
    that doesnot look the best
    check out the integra type r i think thats better
    AlienGav wrote: »
    Interior looks pretty cool! :D

But as for the outside... Jesus! It's like something I've sketched in Kinder Garden!!

It lookes like sometihng Robocop would love! :)
    It will be a hit with the boy racers.
    A lot more interesting than the current blandsmobile.
    kluivert wrote: »
    The front and the interior looks good but the back end is like a space ship gone wrong. What where Honda thinking off.
    prospect wrote: »
    Inside looks horribly complicated...

I note they have the Alfa 156 style rear door handles...
    fletch wrote: »
    The side profile reminds me of a Daewoo
    kluivert wrote: »
    Honda has probably joined up with Hyundai or Daewoo. Styling is very very bad. Id still buy it though for Honda's great reliablity record.
    bmoferrall wrote: »
    Like the Citroen 4, another focus I-inspired hatch I would say.
    Ford have dropped the ball with the current version of the focus and others are happily picking it up.
    Definitely an improvement on the current eyesore.
    prospect wrote: »
    Just looking again,

The rear pillar (between the rear window and the bootlid window) is HUGE.
    I cant imagine rear vision will be great.

Also, in the side view, the area below the front lights and above the rear light clusters is very fussy looking. To many lines and angles etc.

I think the car has potential, but needs to be tidied up. The strip all along the bottom of the body is another fussy part. I would imagine some colour coded skirts in place of this would make a big difference.
    weemcd wrote: »
    gah the rear end is hideous and it would date absolutly horribly imo.

The front end and interior is pretty impressive tho.

focus2ga.jpg

Striking resemblance to the ford focus side profile
    ando wrote: »
    I like the front, I really like the headlights but the back of the car has a lot to be desired. I'm not so sure this will be a hit for all the youngfella's in about 7 years

Picked up mine this morning. Very nice to drive, packed with technology and I'm loving CarPlay.

Missing the physical handbrake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Picked up mine this morning. Very nice to drive, packed with technology and I'm loving CarPlay.

Is the new electronic handbrake not automatic?

Pacifico wrote: »

It is but I instinctively look for the physical one from years of habit 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Pacifico wrote: »
    It is

How does that work?
    It attached automatically after stopping the engine? Or something else?

Any option to turn this off and operate manually?

CiniO wrote: »
    How does that work?
    It attached automatically after stopping the engine? Or something else?

Any option to turn this off and operate manually?

Yes you can turn it on or off.

If on, the handbrake will engage when you take your foot off the accelerator and clutch and will disengage when you the opposite.

It will also illuminate the break lights even if your foot is off the pedal which is a nice touch.

Engages when you turn off the engine too. It's hard to get used to not actively thinking about it

Yes you can turn it on or off.

If on, the handbrake will engage when you take your foot off the accelerator and clutch and will disengage when you the opposite.

It will also illuminate the break lights even if your foot is off the pedal which is a nice touch.

Engages when you turn off the engine too. It's hard to get used to not actively thinking about it

Thanks.

I wonder if that feature (engaging automatically when you turn engine off) can be disabled ?

Well wear and health to enjoy.

TBH, I found the auto hold better than my Octy with a manual handbrake and hill hold. Felt a lot less grabby. I reckon time will sort any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

Anybody pick up an auto care to share their thoughts?

After having a good look at one on display in a German shopping mall I was behind an electric blue one outside Maynooth on the M4 one day early last week.

Both looked great IMO.......... I think the 1.5 with the centre exhaust looks fantastic. The 1.0t looks faster than it is I think.

Augeo wrote: »
    After having a good look at one on display in a German shopping mall I was behind an electric blue one outside Maynooth on the M4 one day early last week.

Both looked great IMO.......... I think the 1.5 with the centre exhaust looks fantastic. The 1.0t looks faster than it is I think.

Gotta say the 1l wasn't that bad at all for mid range grunt. For usable poke it beats the frustration I get driving the 1.8 140 old model. Flat out it's not going to be as quick but it's quicker in everyday driving I reckon.

• Advertisement

Gotta say the 1l wasn't that bad at all for mid range grunt. For usable poke it beats the frustration I get driving the 1.8 140 old model. Flat out it's not going to be as quick but it's quicker in everyday driving I reckon.

What do you mean by that?

According to spec I found 1.0t does 0-100km/h in 10.4s
    1.8 9th and 8th gen did it in 8.7s

Looks like 1.8 was much better performance wise, which you kinda mentioned by saying flat out it's not as quick for 1.0t.
    But I don't get this 1.0t being quicker in everyday driving?

Advertisement