Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Civic

Comments

CiniO wrote: »

According to spec I found 1.0t does 0-100km/h in 10.4s
    1.8 9th and 8th gen did it in 8.7s......................
    But I don't get this 1.0t being quicker in everyday driving?

the 50 to 70 mph times would be indicative of mid range punch etc....the dash to 100kph isn't overly relevant to everyday driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

What do you mean by that?

According to spec I found 1.0t does 0-100km/h in 10.4s
    1.8 9th and 8th gen did it in 8.7s

Looks like 1.8 was much better performance wise, which you kinda mentioned by saying flat out it's not as quick for 1.0t.
    But I don't get this 1.0t being quicker in everyday driving?

To get the performance from the 1.8 you have to really rev it. If you don't I find it quite dead. For pottering about the mid range on the 1l feels a lot stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Took the new Civic for a test drive. 1.0 engine, turbo charged. Very impressed. Compared to my 2011 Civic, the new one is in a different class. Engine has surprising oomph, given the size of it. The suspension/handling/steering is light years better than mine. Interior finish is very good - they have done a particularly good job with the dials.

Will I buy it? No. It is too low for me (I am getting to a certain age). Still a bit claustrophobic in the rear seats.

They will probably put that engine into the CRH at some stage and I will may go for that.

Anybody else take it for a trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

I did yesterday thought the handling was excellent the safety features brilliant even on the base ' Smart ' trim design is quirky but maybe a grower. The rear parcel shelf is a bit flimsy but probably necessary due to the shape of the hatchback. The dealer Tom Fox in Drogheda had a demo car plus 2 showroom cars but no diesel model till much later this year .. Honda is aiming to have it euro 7 compliant..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The magic seats are gone though from what I am reading?

• Advertisement

Yes

Shame, its a terrific system!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is already a detailed thread over in the Buying forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057705590

I wonder will Honda manage to overcome the problems associated with many direct injection engines - lovely system, but the valves have to be cleaned every 30k to 40k miles. Costly problem with a lot of these engines. BMW a prime example. Not to mention Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It was removed to make way for the Independent suspension. It's a small trade off for better handling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It was removed to make way for the Independent suspension. It's a small trade off for better handling.

Actually, it was the fuel tank that was moved. It was under the front seats, now it's in the normal place under the rear seats.
    It allows them to drop the front seats by around 35mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Any sign of the 1.5L in dealers yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's as ugly as sin, worse than it's predecessor and that's a fair achievement. Surprised anyone would test drive one on that basis alone tbh.

I think the 9th gen is super looking, better than the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Augeo wrote: »
    the 50 to 70 mph times would be indicative of mid range punch etc....the dash to 100kph isn't overly relevant to everyday driving.

Indeed not everyone does sprint 0-100km/h on every traffic lights - I agree.
    And I also agree that 50-70mph (or around 80km/h to 120km/h) acceleration is very important in everyday driving.

But I'm yet to see a car X which would do better 80km/h to 120km/h than car Y, but yet have worse 0-100km/h than car Y.

It's nearly impossible except in some extreme gearing setups which are not really available in stock cars.

As a rule of thumb, if car X does 0-100km/h quicker than car Y, then it also means that car X will do 50km/h to 80km/h quicker than car Y, as well as 80km/h to 120km/h quicker than car Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

To get the performance from the 1.8 you have to really rev it. If you don't I find it quite dead. For pottering about the mid range on the 1l feels a lot stronger.

So what you're saying is that in everyday driving you don't want to rev the engine high to unleash the real performance and judge the car by its low rev performance?

Why would anyone not want to rev the engine to get the performance if it's needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Pacifico wrote: »
    Any sign of the 1.5L in dealers yet?

Ya there's one in the dealership where I work. Took it home for a night last week, serious poke in it for a 1.5! The 1 litre is a cracking car aswell. Sign of the times turbo petrol, hybrid & full electric is the way it's all going. I prefer the styling of the new model to the previous but that's my opinion. From what the sales team tells me they are selling quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So what you're saying is that in everyday driving you don't want to rev the engine high to unleash the real performance and judge the car by its low rev performance?

Why would anyone not want to rev the engine to get the performance if it's needed?

The noise!

As a rule of thumb, if car X does 0-100km/h quicker than car Y, then it also means that car X will do 50km/h to 80km/h quicker than car Y, as well as 80km/h to 120km/h quicker than car Y.

I think when a 1.8 nasp is being compared to a 1.0 turbo the later will be faster in the mid range relative to it's 0 to 60 dash.
    and the chap said everyday driving. Dropping from 5th to 4th for overtaking etc, not doing 0 to 60 sprints.

Also just under 9 sec to 90 and just over 10 secs to 60 aren't wildly different to start with.

If you're compring like with like the civic 1.8 would be 8.6 to 60 and the 1.0 would be 10.4 for a base model and into the 11s once you add some equipment.

2 seconds in the difference is over 20% to be fair.

It's do agree that the turbo would certainly be more effortless due to more torque. In the same way that a diesel would be.

Also to get those figures on the 1.8 you'd be screaming it, which is a pain in everyday driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

The 1.8 is pretty weak unless you rev it and when you do it's very, very rough and noisy. For an everyday car I would rather a car with a decent mid range than one I need to rev out to extract any meaningful go yes so in this situation with those two specific engines I would prefer the 1 litre.

If you drive in a relaxed fashion it's a better everyday car for most people with more accessible performance. if you prefer to rev the engine out then the 1.8 is quicker overall but you pay the price with noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Honda are advertising the entry level one (smart 1.0) at €23,750 but 2 dealers I have spoken to have it at €25,250. Why would this be would anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Ron Scott wrote: »
    Honda are advertising the entry level one (smart 1.0) at €23,750 but 2 dealers I have spoken to have it at €25,250. Why would this be would anyone know ?

Delivery and related charges

€1250 is a lot for that!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    €1250 is a lot for that!

Perhaps metallic paint as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cannot take to the exterior styling myself, just looks like over styled for the sake of it imo.
    Nag,love the looks

I dont find the 1.8 has a lack of power low down at all. Yeah it doesnt fling you back into the seat but it was more than enough go without revving it to 7k.

But it does have a buzzy engine noise abouve 4k I will admit.

I think the styling of the Civics are fantastic, at least they have done and are continuing to try something different.

You get a reliable, reasonably quick, good looking (based on tastes) and comfortable car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

[

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Gru

How are people finding it to live with?(looks aside) Going to have a spin in the 1.0 smartplus this evening to see whats its like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Gru wrote: »
    How are people finding it to live with?(looks aside) Going to have a spin in the 1.0 smartplus this evening to see whats its like.

The carpet in mine has come away on the drivers side, warranty used to fix that.

Makes me wary about build quality.

Otherwise no complaints.

Advertisement