Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Civic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I was very impressed with the drive. Felt nice and energetic and seemed to handle well. Things like the lane assist are pretty nice too. Ill be going back for another look and ill keep an eye on things like the carpets to see if theres anything like that going on. There's a 3.9% apr deal ending friday so im seriously tempted to jump on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Gru wrote: »
    I was very impressed with the drive. Felt nice and energetic and seemed to handle well. Things like the lane assist are pretty nice too. Ill be going back for another look and ill keep an eye on things like the carpets to see if theres anything like that going on. There's a 3.9% apr deal ending friday so im seriously tempted to jump on this.
    I'd be surprised if they didn't have some sort of deal for 172 so don't feel like your hand is being forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Out of interest the light/reflector between the front wing and where it meets the front bumber what does this do? Is it a DRL or a reflector or what?

civ-002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Out of interest the light/reflector between the front wing and where it meets the front bumber what does this do? Is it a DRL or a reflector or what?

civ-002.jpg

Looks like turn indicator... Completely useless in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Gru wrote: »

Was it the 1.0 litre or 1.5 litre you drove? Honda seem to imply the 1.0 will be the big seller, just wondering if the extra poke from the 1.5 is worth the outlay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

who_ru wrote: »
    Was it the 1.0 litre or 1.5 litre you drove? Honda seem to imply the 1.0 will be the big seller, just wondering if the extra poke from the 1.5 is worth the outlay.

I drove the 1.0 litre and felt plenty powerful with good response when you put your foot down. Im coming from a 1.4 petrol so it felt a lot better than that.

I imagine the 1.0 litre will be popular as it seems to have plenty of oomph and probably more than enough for most people. The dealer i was speaking likened it to a 2.0 litre petrol (pinch of salt time of course, but he seemed very excited about the car).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

They certainly seem to be pushing the 1.0, the dealer was trying to convert my sister to it from the 1.5, recently told there's a delay on getting the 1.5 in stock and he was trying to push the 1.0 on her again which wasn't happening. Maby the 1.0 is all they have been allocated as the 1.5s are a bit thin on the ground hence the push on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

who_ru wrote: »

That depends on what the buyer wants. For me id definitely go for the 1.5 as it's a four cylinder and I just much prefer them to 3 cylinder units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

This weeks Autoexpress ..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pity the couldn't have got a manual to compare to.

Auto Express often enthuse about new models, then once they're not new any more start picking faults and revert back to the Golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That depends on what the buyer wants. For me id definitely go for the 1.5 as it's a four cylinder and I just much prefer them to 3 cylinder units.

3 cylinder sounds much more interesting IMHO.

grogi wrote: »
    3 cylinder sounds much more interesting IMHO.

It certainly has different characteristics and it's definitely a good unit but I just prefer the refinement and sound of the 4 cylinder and I also prefer the way they rev. Each to their own I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

A dealer told me the 1.0litre might be a bit noisy at low revs. I sat in the top spec 1.0, full leather with sun roof, nice interior but not amazing. The HRV 1.5 might interest me, it still has magic seats which would be handy for the bike.

Wouldn't fancy the auto box on the HRV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Is anybody concerned that these new Honda engines may not be as trouble free as their conventional engines? Direct injected petrol engines introduce diesel-like complexity to petrol engines. Not to mention the inlet valves getting fouled up after 30k miles.

And then, squeezing 120BHP out of a 1 litre, 3 cylinder engine - can the whole package be durable?

I say this as a person who has had 4 Hondas (2 accords and 2 civics, all petrol) over the years and never had the slightest problem with them, ever.

I love this new Civic - but I have this niggling doubt...

To be fair, this isn't their first turbocharged small engine. They've been at that in Japan for years.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    ........... Direct injected petrol engines introduce diesel-like complexity to petrol engines. Not to mention the inlet valves getting fouled up after 30k miles............

The complexity is one thing and less of a concern IMO :)
    The inlet valve issue is again like diesel woes in so far as it's probably spoken about more than it should.

Since the VAG 2.0 turbo and some of the V6 Audi units experienced media coverage (in car land more than the actual media I suupose) of the issue about a decade ago whenever we hear DI for petrols now we almost automatically think oh oh problems.

The car manufacturers are all no doubt more aware of the issue too and you'd read in the ole engine tech speels how the engineers have fine tuned the map/software whatever to ensure as close to complete combustion as possible to absolutely minimise the chance of problematic deposits.

Probably usage dependent too, ultra low mileage engines you'd imagine would be higher risk due to lots of cold engine use relative to engines that would do less miles when cold relative to total mileage.

I'm not gone on the 3 cylinder stuff myself. Was thinking the 1.5 Civic would really appeal to me in a few years as a second hand option.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Is anybody concerned that these new Honda engines may not be as trouble free as their conventional engines? Direct injected petrol engines introduce diesel-like complexity to petrol engines. Not to mention the inlet valves getting fouled up after 30k miles.

And then, squeezing 120BHP out of a 1 litre, 3 cylinder engine - can the whole package be durable?

I say this as a person who has had 4 Hondas (2 accords and 2 civics, all petrol) over the years and never had the slightest problem with them, ever.

I love this new Civic - but I have this niggling doubt...
    Well they are more complex than a conventional unit so there is more potential for things to go wrong. However if you look at hondas diesel engines(apart from the early accords) they have been very reliable and very good units despite having modern diesel complexity.

Id certainly bet that these will be equally good reliable units and certainly better than efforts from some other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair, this isn't their first turbocharged small engine. They've been at that in Japan for years.

It's not really the turbo charger I would be concerned about - it's the direct injection.

As far as I know, this is Honda's first direct injected petrol engine.

Nah they've been using direct injection in the states for 5-6 years AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone drive or pick up a 1.5L version yet?! Any good?

• Advertisement

There are 7 registered to the end of April.
    1 in March and the rest last month.

120 1.0 petrols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

I'm hoping that they offer a scrappage deal soon.

Do Honda do them on a regular basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

Del007 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that they offer a scrappage deal soon.

Do Honda do them on a regular basis?
    Here we get hard done by when it comes to Honda offers... In the UK where they sell lots more they regularly get attractive apr rates etc ... Honda re so small here they dont bother... i dont think ive seen a scrappage deal ever from them... been driving honda since 2002...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know it's a sales video but it gives a better good comparison between the 1.0 litre and 1.5 litre, just a pity they didn't do a road test. I guess they don't want to put people off the 1.0 litre who have no intention of buying the 1.5 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Apparently the new 1 litre petrol is very heavy on juice. My buddy was talking to a Honda salesman recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭eagerv

Pacifico wrote: »
    Anyone drive or pick up a 1.5L version yet?! Any good?

Yes drove the 1.5. Very smooth with nice torque from fairly low revs. Nice bit of power when you put your foot down, feels faster than 8.2 seconds to 62.

Very quiet when cruising, but nice sound with revs.

Lovely driving position, lower than before. Headroom grand for me, but over 6' in back may need to slouch a bit. Steering very quick and precise. Suspension smooth with adaptive dampers on higher models. Independent multilink rear a big improvement.

Seems well priced if you take into account the standard spec. The S Design with GT Pack seems to be the best value. Includes Adaptive suspension, Smart entry and start, 11 speaker 450 watt Audio, Glass opening roof, Wireless charging, heated seats, LED headlights etc. Approx €31,000.

I like the looks, many don't! It looks good with strong colours such as Blue or Red. Not mad on White or Black but everyones tastes are different.

Many owners are reporting 50 MPG easily enough already in UK, but would have to see it myself to believe. Driven normally both engines appear to be fairly frugal. One tester I read got 42 MPG out of both engines not driving too easily.

Hope above helps, actually I enjoyed the car so much I placed an order for the above spec metallic blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Interesting review here of the new Civic and previous generations:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

20170526_181830.jpg

Here's a 1.5 S design Gt we picked up. Nippy little motor, love the driving position which feels quite low, gear changes are nice and mechanical feeling so to speak. Suspension doesn't feel firm, even with the adaptive setting to stiffen it up (bear in mind I'm comparing to my type r) so may seem stiff to others, but it feels nicely planted on the road and we'll setup. It feels like it's a smaller car to drive compared to it's exterior size.

My only gripes are with some of the interior bits I feel they cheaped out on, rear parcel shelf or lack of, sunroof shade, buttons on the steering wheel, don't have a premium feel as such to them that you might expect, the 9th gen if I'm honest had a better interior feel to it as opposed to the 10th.

All in all I think it's a good all rounder, and wouldn't recommend judging it on looks alone, get in one and give it a good drive and see what you think then

bazz26 wrote: »
    Interesting review here of the new Civic and previous generations:

Interesting review, loved all the old Civics, I even owned one of the earlier ones; a 1993 Model. It was a great machine at the time, 125 HP VTEC IIRC.

Looking forward to my 1.5 Mark 10.

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »

Here's a 1.5 S design Gt we picked up. Nippy little motor, love the driving position which feels quite low, gear changes are nice and mechanical feeling so to speak. Suspension doesn't feel firm, even with the adaptive setting to stiffen it up (bear in mind I'm comparing to my type r) so may seem stiff to others, but it feels nicely planted on the road and we'll setup. It feels like it's a smaller car to drive compared to it's exterior size.

My only gripes are with some of the interior bits I feel they cheaped out on, rear parcel shelf or lack of, sunroof shade, buttons on the steering wheel, don't have a premium feel as such to them that you might expect, the 9th gen if I'm honest had a better interior feel to it as opposed to the 10th.

All in all I think it's a good all rounder, and wouldn't recommend judging it on looks alone, get in one and give it a good drive and see what you think then

Nice car.

Good review, I like the shape. Some of the pics taken aren't very flattering but looks far better in the metal. Love the shape of the bonnet when driving it.

Advertisement