Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O Neill on rape culture.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Wasn't Mullaly beating that drum last summer as well?

Yeah, apparently googled 'was I raped'-which is disturbing that was not called into question.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149462/Brian-Banks-One-time-football-star-rape-charge-dismissed-years-prison-accuser-contacts-Facebook-say-happened.html

There was also this incident-a student who spent 6 years in prison for rape. When he was released, his accuser messaged him on facebook and added him as a friend-then said she wanted 'bygones to be bygones' and admitted he never raped her. She was caught on video saying the same thing, and thus his conviction was overturned. But his life is ruined-nay, destroyed. No matter what, people will say stuff like 'oh, he lied or claim 'internalised misogyny made her feel like he was innocent'. The accuser, Wanetta Gibson, said she wouldn't testify it was a lie, because her mom had sue his school, won 1.5 million, and didn't want to pay the money back...(a court case since has ruled she must repay 2.6 million dollars to the school).
    Now, if we compare it to the Brock Turner case-Banks was given ALL the wrong advice by his lawyers, while Turner was wealthy and availed of a class based system.
    Interestingly, Banks didn't cry 'white privilege'-and he could, oh golly he could have. But he did cite privliege-as in wealth based privilege.

“I would say it’s a case of privilege,” Banks said. “It seems like the judge based his decision on lifestyle. He’s lived such a good life and has never experienced anything serious in his life that would prepare him for prison. He was sheltered so much he wouldn’t be able to survive prison. What about the kid who has nothing, he struggles to eat, struggles to get a fair education? What about the kid who has no choice who he is born to and has drug-addicted parents or a non-parent household? Where is the consideration for them when they commit a crime?”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4233902/Inmates-rape-conviction-overturned-days-hes-killed.html

Or this case, where a guy was killed in prison due to a very disturbing method of conviction-an officer lied in order to gain a testimony out of him (claimed dna had been found, when it had not). And a nurse gave a testimony that 'a rape can occur without showing any signs of brusing or tearing'-she wasn't qualified to give testimony.
    The person in question had his conviction overturned-but it was 4 days after he was beaten to death in prison. Now, I will admit-he wasn't exactly the nicest guy, he was on the sex offenders register, but it seems like they wanted a convction, even if he was innocent.

Regarding the false rape accusations, it sounds like this poor guy is getting well and truly shafted. It's a longish read, but some shocking stuff in there.

http://watchdog.org/291268/father-fired-defending-disabled-son-campus-kangaroo-court/

It's quite possible that he did rape her, but if the story is to be believed he isn't even getting a fair chance to defend himself. The fact that he was technically raped by his accuser is completely ignored too. This is what happens when "feminists" like Louise O'Neill keep pushing this rape culture nonsense.
    Will she/LON have a meltdown as there's no women in the Champions Leauge (I know theres a womens soccer one but id guess theyd hardly care or notice there is one)..ffs they really are reaching for problems

It is a sad life, and it leading to bitterness, and Mullally is on about gender quotas for a music festival if there were ever first world problems this is it. The process of music festivals such as this is to appeal to those who will pay big prices to go to acts they want to see, not what Una forces them to see.

I find it ironic that a lot of the male headliners for music festivals are acts which, in my opinion, have a predominantly female fan base. Ed Sheeran headlining Glastonbury this year for example. Muse and Coldplay headlining last year. Funnily enough Adele headlined Glastonbury last year also despite being a woman, and a curvy one (fat shaming?) at that. It's almost as though if you're talented and popular enough you'll be asked to headline regardless of what's between your legs.

Like you said though, it must be sad looking at everything in life in terms of gender quotas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

True.

It's a pity that there isn't a clever catchy group word for people who are skeptical of feminists, MRAs, internet agenda pushers etc without having to allign themselves with another group. Basically anyone who wants to look at the world reasonably has no place on the internet anymore it seems.

I always liked "Moderate" or "Centrist".

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I hadn't seen your edited part. Well I don't think circumcision is looked on like that.

It's legal in the West, FGM isn't. That's the issue. Infant female genitalia are afforded the protection of the state, infant male genitalia are not. This is an example of male disposability (women matter, men not so much) and is something which boys growing up are exposed to repeatedly, both from outdated sources (seeing men being left to drown in the film "Titanic") and from current sources (hearing a discrepancy of female underachievement being condemned as sexist discrimination, eg corporate ladder imbalances, while male underachievement is hailed as female accomplishment, eg exam results). Add this to the LoN brand of "feminism" which convicts all men simply by gender association and demands that every accusation ruin somebody's career (see the article I linked to over the page). Hear enough of that sh!te during your childhood and of course it's going to piss you off - how could it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's legal in the West, FGM isn't. That's the issue. Infant female genitalia are afforded the protection of the state, infant male genitalia are not. This is an example of male disposability (women matter, men not so much) and is something which boys growing up are exposed to repeatedly, both from outdated sources (seeing men being left to drown in the film "Titanic") and from current sources (hearing a discrepancy of female underachievement being condemned as sexist discrimination, eg corporate ladder imbalances, while male underachievement is hailed as female accomplishment, eg exam results). Add this to the LoN brand of "feminism" which convicts all men simply by gender association and demands that every accusation ruin somebody's career (see the article I linked to over the page). Hear enough of that sh!te during your childhood and of course it's going to piss you off - how could it not?

Fair points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I couldn't finish the article, got overwhelmed with the narrow mindedness of it.

No wonder no one wants to engage in a "conversation" with her, when she calls obvious facts and arguments "excuses".

I'd rather not have any woman featured in a festival line up, but have quality acts, than ****ty female acts because, quotas.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty dismayed by the direction Una Mullally has gone in recent years, much like outlets such as The Guardian and the Huffington Post - she's incredibly nice in person and there was a time when she was fighting for everyone against the establishment. Somehow a vast number of outlets and journalists managed to get swept up into this SJW thing and now spend more time attacking people on the basis of demographic than doing what they should be doing, which is gathering ordinary people together to take on the power structures which are actually destroying our society and the planet we live on. There was a time when people like Una Mullally championed the internet as an anarchistic space untouchable by government and therefore usable by activists, whistleblowers, journalists etc to check those institutions without fear of repercussions - now, she would probably take the view that internet regulation is worth losing these incredible tools in the fight against government and corporate power, if it prevents men from making lewd remarks about celebrities and ensures that people with right wing opinions cannot air them without reprisal.

It's genuinely incredible. The transformation many of the biggest voices against injustice have undergone over the last 3-4 years - so incredible, indeed, that a conspiratorially minded person would wonder whether this is being orchestrated by those formerly the target of accountability. Set those opposed to power against one another, sow discord and mistrust, and watch them battle it out while the bankers, politicians and lobbyists of the world walk away from the mess they created unpunished.

No matter whose side you're on in this, it's incredibly depressing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I couldn't finish the article, got overwhelmed with the narrow mindedness of it.

No wonder no one wants to engage in a "conversation" with her, when she calls obvious facts and arguments "excuses".

I'd rather not have any woman featured in a festival line up, but have quality acts, than ****ty female acts because, quotas.
    Aye, there wasn't much of an argument put forth in the article at all. Essentially, she would prefer a different soundtrack to a few glorified boozeups in random muddy fields during the summer months that the vast majority won't be attending anyway. Proper finger on the pulse stuff there! :D

Of course, if festivals had chart music, there would be a mix of both male and female acts. But, then you would have articles slamming the quality of music on the line up. There are women in music, but not in the genres that the festival crowd are into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Regarding the false rape accusations, it sounds like this poor guy is getting well and truly shafted. It's a longish read, but some shocking stuff in there.

http://watchdog.org/291268/father-fired-defending-disabled-son-campus-kangaroo-court/

It's quite possible that he did rape her, but if the story is to be believed he isn't even getting a fair chance to defend himself. The fact that he was technically raped by his accuser is completely ignored too. This is what happens when "feminists" like Louise O'Neill keep pushing this rape culture nonsense.

I find it ironic that a lot of the male headliners for music festivals are acts which, in my opinion, have a predominantly female fan base. Ed Sheeran headlining Glastonbury this year for example. Muse and Coldplay headlining last year. Funnily enough Adele headlined Glastonbury last year also despite being a woman, and a curvy one (fat shaming?) at that. It's almost as though if you're talented and popular enough you'll be asked to headline regardless of what's between your legs.

Like you said though, it must be sad looking at everything in life in terms of gender quotas.
    very sad your post but all true. what has happened to society? I would say 90 per cent of Men would see Mr nice guy as Weakness and the will back stab you. and that figure for Women I could not answer as I am Man maybe a Women could give us that figure in percentages? My Mother all ways told us we where very good natured people . evil people take that as a Weakness. there is very evil Men/Women on this earth watch people like me and you. and try to destroy your kindness . Deceitful Toxic Men/Women who are tell evil lies like false rape reports for money notice etc They have a total lack of empathy and false rape reports is the perfect crime as you are all ways believed and very rare there is people Jailed for this crime in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I'm pretty dismayed by the direction Una Mullally has gone in recent years, much like outlets such as The Guardian and the Huffington Post - she's incredibly nice in person and there was a time when she was fighting for everyone against the establishment. Somehow a vast number of outlets and journalists managed to get swept up into this SJW thing and now spend more time attacking people on the basis of demographic than doing what they should be doing, which is gathering ordinary people together to take on the power structures which are actually destroying our society and the planet we live on. There was a time when people like Una Mullally championed the internet as an anarchistic space untouchable by government and therefore usable by activists, whistleblowers, journalists etc to check those institutions without fear of repercussions - now, she would probably take the view that internet regulation is worth losing these incredible tools in the fight against government and corporate power, if it prevents men from making lewd remarks about celebrities and ensures that people with right wing opinions cannot air them without reprisal.

It's genuinely incredible. The transformation many of the biggest voices against injustice have undergone over the last 3-4 years - so incredible, indeed, that a conspiratorially minded person would wonder whether this is being orchestrated by those formerly the target of accountability. Set those opposed to power against one another, sow discord and mistrust, and watch them battle it out while the bankers, politicians and lobbyists of the world walk away from the mess they created unpunished.

No matter whose side you're on in this, it's incredibly depressing.
    Funny and all as IT, Guardian and Huffington Post opinion pieces are, they certainly don't have the power to do that. :D

Besides, those bankers, politicians and lobbyists have been getting away with stuff long before clickbait came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think that showing he couldn't gain an erection would possibly rule out sex-but then again, that's just me. From the article tho, where it notes she 'texted from the bed of another fraternity' as well as ruling out a rape kit-she may very well have had sex that night, just not with him. Ruling out the rape kit would make me question every aspect of her story.

It seems like he is getting shafted immensely. I genuinely hope he gets justice-this seems like a horrendous case of 'guilty, until proven innocent'.

The last time an irish act headlined any concert-it was Amanda Brunker-and it was so bad, rte went and edited it to make her sound like she could sing.
    (Brunker then proceeded to cry victim when folks genuinely criticised her).

Yes, Una doesn't seem to understand that talent gets you these gigs, not your gender-and one has to appeal to both.
    Florence and the machine headlined in 2015, for example. As did Paloma Faith. But Paloma is out on maternity leave now, and Florence is prepping a new album. So it's not all bad.

I would imagine if the festival were all women, Um and co would decry it for 'too many white chicks' or 'not enough trans women' or 'no woc'.
    You can't win.

I've listened to the acts Una 'recommends' some of them are so awful...it's the reason she's not allowed present music shows (she did, once, and yeah...less said).

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    Funny and all as IT, Guardian and Huffington Post opinion pieces are, they certainly don't have the power to do that. :D

Besides, those bankers, politicians and lobbyists have been getting away with stuff long before clickbait came along.

I'm not so sure, they do have the power to fracture powerful social movements. Look at what happened in America after the primaries - people I know personally (and I've seen similar stories hundreds of times over the last year so it's not just a tiny minority) who would always have identified as left wing voted for feckin' Trump just because the SJW media and its incessant, inflammatory preaching pissed them off so much that it seemed worth putting up with him just to piss them off. And I fully believe that Brexit in the UK was affected by a similar movement - people voted for Brexit not in spite of the talking heads on the TV telling them not to, but BECAUSE they were telling them not to.

I'm not so sure, they do have the power to fracture powerful social movements. Look at what happened in America after the primaries - people I know personally (and I've seen similar stories hundreds of times over the last year so it's not just a tiny minority) who would always have identified as left wing voted for feckin' Trump just because the SJW media and its incessant, inflammatory preaching pissed them off so much that it seemed worth putting up with him just to piss them off. And I fully believe that Brexit in the UK was affected by a similar movement - people voted for Brexit not in spite of the talking heads on the TV telling them not to, but BECAUSE they were telling them not to.

Yes, the SJW's put all their cards into 'Hillary for president' then cried 'sexism' when she lost (LoN is ALWAYS going on about TRump-every second article-jebus!).
    What they didn't even stop to look at was how she came across terribly on television, how she looked awkward, how they were trying to portray her as warm and friendly-when in fact there was too much evidence to show the contrary. And when folks were crying 'she's more open and honest than Trump'-we got the pneumonia thing...and that 'secretiveness' that has been a Clinton staple emerged again'-so much so that people bought into the conspiracy theories about her suffering from alzheimers, dementia etc.
    The media cried sexism, yet when McCain ran for president-those who opposed him, despite his military record, cited things like 'he's 72 now, in a few years, he might DIE! (He's still alive, but that didn't stop the media hypothesizing).
    Clinton looked far more unhealthy than him, Trump was older but looked in better shape (despite his MacDonald's diet).
    I don't know why people cannot get over the fact 'she lost'. LoN in particular-it's been almost six months, she's still whining.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Electric Picnic have sold out before they have even announced their lineup. I think it is a perfect opportunity to book as many female bands as possible because they are low demand acts and will work for 79c in the euro compared to male bands.

The festival organisers can not only stand up for equality, they can also make an extra 21% profit margin! It's a win win!
    An easy test to show how ludicrous the exclusion of women is from any arena is to ask yourself what it would be like if things were the other way around. If all major music festivals in Ireland had female headliners across the board, this would be seen as remarkable.

Not really no. If the most popular bands were all female then I would think it perfectly normal for this to occur.

Ultimately, the fact that the most popular bands and musicians are male is mostly a demand issue rather than supply. Both male and female music fans generally prefer male musicians it seems. Whether this is internalised misogyny or simply personal preferences is unanswerable really.

So, ABBA got the whole gender equality thing bang on. I think Fleetwood Mac deserve "right on" brownie points for going from the all male ensemble of the Peter Green era, to the 3 man 2 women classic Rumours line-up. They probably should have been forward thinking enough to level it out at three of each, but it may have been the remnants of "toxic masculinity" from the Peter Green days that put the kibosh on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its a teaser all right , why would teenage boys make it their goal to become rock stars? the opportunity to travel? they dont like office jobs?...there must be a better reason?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mzungu wrote: »
    So, ABBA got the whole gender equality thing bang on. I think Fleetwood Mac deserve "right on" brownie points for going from the all male ensemble of the Peter Green era, to the 3 man 2 women classic Rumours line-up. They probably should have been forward thinking enough to level it out at three of each, but it may have been the remnants of "toxic masculinity" from the Peter Green days that put the kibosh on this.

Dont forget that one of the guys was called Lyndsey. That must make them 2.5:2.5!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I know it isn't directly LON related but this Guardian critique of Beauty and Beast seemed bizarre to me
    I do, however, feel bound to point out that Belle’s invention is a washing machine, a contraption she rigs up to a horse, to do her domestic work while she teaches another, miniature feminist how to read. The underlying message baked into this pie is that laundry is women’s work, which the superbly clever woman will delegate to a horse while she spreads literacy. It would be better if she had used her considerable intellect to question why she had to wash anything at all, while her father did nothing more useful than mend clocks. It’s unclear to me why anyone in this small family needs to know the time.

It seems to send the message that women, rather than solving problems, should get women's studies degrees and complain that men won't fix everything for them. I mean, the washing machine liberated more women than any number of marches or pamphlets

goose2005 wrote: »
    I know it isn't directly LON related but this Guardian critique of Beauty and Beast seemed bizarre to me

It seems to send the message that women, rather than solving problems, should get women's studies degrees and complain that men won't fix everything for them. I mean, the washing machine liberated more women than any number of marches or pamphlets

Read a review in the IRish times which noted that Watson would be better served putting down a book 'on feminism' and picking up a book 'on acting'.

Many folks are noting that Watson, despite the hype, is just not that good an actress-she's the best out of the harry potter trio, but that's not saying a lot-it's not as if Radcliffe was ever that good an actor.

As far as the washing machine-where are the MRA's saying 'they are trying to rewrite history-a MAN invented the washing machine'...

But yes, seems like screaming for the sake of screaming. Wonder what she would make of discovering it was a man that invented tampons. (I found that out from a female comedienne).

Dont forget that one of the guys was called Lyndsey. That must make them 2.5:2.5!

Yeah but one of the women was called Stevie so it's back to 3-2.

I forgot to notice how thejournal.ie has now gotten rid of their 'thumbs down' vote-leaving the thumbs up one, naturally. The reason being-actual reason?

Safe space-the journal wants to make their forums a 'safe space'... Oh dear lord.

So SJW's don't want to be thumbed down????

• Advertisement

As many have probably heard, there has been another leak of images of female celebrities-I wonder if LoN and co will find a way to tie this into the 'rape culture' myth-though many have remained quiet on the subject, at the moment.

I know the last time folks were decrying it as 'ownership of women's bodies'...never mind that those are images, not 'actual' bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

I forgot to notice how thejournal.ie has now gotten rid of their 'thumbs down' vote-leaving the thumbs up one, naturally. The reason being-actual reason?

Safe space-the journal wants to make their forums a 'safe space'... Oh dear lord.

You can also mute posters and hide comments now.

511 wrote: »
    You can also mute posters and hide comments now.

That's just wrong-won't be using that page again-what's the point? Discourse is important, completely.
    I could understand it if the messages were of the 'I hate....insert ethnic, religious, minority group here'-but if you have an opinion you disagree with-shouldn't you be allowed challenge it?

I knew the site was going downhill-but that badly is just a joke, tbh. Wonder if this will apply to posters who criticise the Journal's owner, Denis O'Brien?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jj-barnes/the-world-needs-angry-mot_b_15294434.html

I found this article to be quite disturbing-not for the elements she included, but for certain quotes from within-notably.
    Of course we can acknowledge the men who suffer too. I hear you, I get it, and it is true that men are also abused and protecting our little boys should be as important in our lives. But men are not abused based purely on their biology in the same way as women. They are not cut, raped, sold, abused as routinely as women. And not only are men not as regularly victims of the evils of the world, they’re the ones primarily perpetrating the crimes in the first place, both against women and against other men.
    Besides being article she, the author, uses to promote her work-this paragraph leapt out at me like a hot dagger.
    Really? So circumcision does not count as being 'cut'? It's carried out in so-called civilised society. Boys are routinely abused, on a daily basis-even teachers who see a boy beating beaten the hell out of will just look at it and say 'oh, that's just boys being boys' (I even know a few current folks teaching who have said this to me). Girls, on the other hand...
    And I don't care how many children are sold as prostitutes-primarily because one is too much. If it's more boys than girls, or more girls than boys-that is still far too many. And abuse is pretty even, tbqh. The rate of sexual abuse is higher among girls, yes, but the rate of physical abuse is higher among boys. And the statistics about 'men being more evil'...yeah, I call BS on that. We know the domestic violence rates are even keel among men and women, women being more likely to seek help.

There are more statistics in that article-but her 'anger' made me angry-for all the opposite reasons. Her statistics were haphazard at best, loose at worst.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/daniel-cieslak-walks-free-from-court-after-admitting-raping-girl-12_uk_58cbd5bbe4b0be71dcf3c3dd

This article I find troubling. For one thing, the accused believe the girl, a minor, was at least 16 (legal consenting age in the uk)-others noted she seemed closer to 20. So to completely put blame on him is a tad unfair, to say the least. The headline, 'man accused of rape walks free' is a misnomer-no force was used, there wasn't an element of danger involved. He genuinely believed she was of the age to consent (and she consented, despite her age), as did others, such as the taxi driver. In fact, he completely broke down crying when he learned she was underage. He met her at 4am that morning, in a taxi bay-most of us would assume a minor would not be out past that time.
    I have no doubt that in this situation, both were victims. But for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The journal's comment sections are notoriously cancerous and are a turnoff to advertisers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Story from Australia today about a man competing in a women's weightlifting competition because he identities as a woman. He of course destroyed the competition.

I think this will become a major issue in the near future (transgenders in women's sport) and it will be interesting to see how feminists deal with it.

It happened at an American amateur wrestling competition too recently. Its ridiculousness will only get highlighted by the mainstream media when it gets to the Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Story from Australia today about a man competing in a women's weightlifting competition because he identities as a woman. He of course destroyed the competition.

Its absolutely ridiculous. Some balding man more masculine looking than most other men lifting a big heavy weight claiming to be a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Is Mullaley finally seeing some things are finally ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The National Women's Council of Ireland should be ashamed of themselves for retweeting this nonsense

https://twitter.com/nwci/status/843058871140794369

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

JRant wrote: »
    The National Women's Council of Ireland should be ashamed of themselves for retweeting this nonsense

200x200px-ZC-fdfa81f2_Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

JRant wrote: »

Christ, that's some tripe - Does this lady actually believe what she writes or is it a pisstake? It can't be serious?

The people giving these screaming snowflakes the time and space to spew this ****e are the real problem... It's clickbait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement