Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too poor to buy sanitary towels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was very often the case. But her parents spending money on other things doesn't mean that the girl herself can't be in the position of not being able to afford them.

Either way, if we change the words to 'doesn't have access to' sanitary products, the question over an immediate solution for a menstruating girl remains the same.

My attitude would be - 'first things first, lets get you some sanitary products. After that need has been met, we'll look at why you are in that situation.'

It baffles me that infogiver or any other poster would have anything other than the same attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

infogiver wrote: »
    I don't think it's the posters "image" of people with low income, it's their experience.
    I've the same experience.
    You can't say what your experience is so we're at an impass.

I have only read the last few pages, maybe half the thread. I don't know what your experience is other than that you mentioned you work voluntarily with poor people. So have I, as well as personal experience. I already said this in a response to your earlier question.

It's his and your experience *of those you worked with* and doesn't apply to everyone else. You formed your views based on those people and some studies showing poor literacy levels. Which isn't surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

osarusan wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if that was very often the case. But her parents spending money on other things doesn't mean that the girl herself can't be in the position of not being able to afford them.

Either way, if we change the words to 'doesn't have access to' sanitary products, the question over an immediate solution for a menstruating girl remains the same.

My attitude would be - 'first things first, lets get you some sanitary products. After that need has been met, we'll look at why you are in that situation.'

It baffles me that infogiver or any other poster would have anything other than the same attitude.

It's a given that the girl be given sanitary protection immediately and clean underwear and painkiller.
    These things are available in the secretary's office in every girls school in Ireland.
    To me, a girl disclosing to a teacher that she left the house without these things because the family couldn't afford them should provoke the same reaction from the school as if she had said she was being beaten.
    It's inexcusable neglect and can't be fixed with more cash being handed over or hand holding either .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wow, I never imagined that this thread that I started would be so...popular.

Whilst I do think that there are many, many people on low incomes who struggle, there is simply no excuse for neglecting your daughters basic sanitary needs. I'd wager that girls in the position of not being given access to sanitary towels are coming from homes where addiction, violence and chaos are rife.

I believe that all schools should have a free supply of sanitary ware for girls.

Periods? Too much hassle. Thank God I'm a male!!:P

• Advertisement

What is wrong with addressing the childs needs, and also helping the parents with money management, if necessary?

I don't believe children should be removed from their family home unless it's absolutely necessary.
    So in other words, ignore the fact that the parents are totally failing in their most basic duty, give them more money (which they will not spend on basics) and hope for the best until the next time.

No. You could always bulk buy sanitary ware, and provide vouchers so the girls could pick them up at their local chemist, or shop.

See above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

What is wrong with addressing the childs needs, and also helping the parents with money management, if necessary?

I don't believe children should be removed from their family home unless it's absolutely necessary.

No. You could always bulk buy sanitary ware, and provide vouchers so the girls could pick them up at their local chemist, or shop.

See above.

Or have the parents use the children's allowance payment they receive...

Or have the parents use the children's allowance payment they receive...

This is becoming incredibly irritating.

You clearly have no sympathy, or empathy for these girls - so I'm not going to waste any further time replying to your posts.

I've given my opinion.
    You clearly don't agree. That's your choice.
    I would make a different choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In the vast bulk of cases, I expect the parents could afford them if they wanted to, but they spend the money at the bookies, pub, or takeaway instead. A poster earlier in the thread noted that even though she didn't have sanitary products, the family was feeding 4 cats and dogs, and her mother was drinking and smoking.

Currently, you can buy two boxes of 36 Tampax on Amazon.co.uk for less than the price of one pack of 20 cigarettes, so it's clear what the spending priorities were.

This whole "can't afford" is a red herring.

totally agree! Have you every noticed, how many of those on low incomes or welfare, are ****e with money? I know a few people like it, give them more and they will just spend more and not necessarily on the necessities...

• Advertisement

This is becoming incredibly irritating.

You clearly have no sympathy, or empathy for these girls - so I'm not going to waste any further time replying to your posts.

I've given my opinion.
    You clearly don't agree. That's your choice.
    I would make a different choice.

You were obsessed with off topic discussions about single father families for half the thread so difficult to see where you stand.

See above.

The parents get children's allowance to buy things like sanitary protection for their daughters. That's what childrens Allowance is for.
    So why would they also need to be given free sanitary protection items?
    What other essentials that they have already been given money for should they also be given for free?
    Where do you draw the line?
    Also what do you mean by help with money management or do you just mean give them more money?

That slope can go both ways - if the desire to avoid handouts (because they perpetuate the poor financial decisions of parents) is taken to the extreme that girls do not get the sanitary products they need right now.

Happily, it doesn't seem like anybody on this thread wants to go to that extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Why should the child be punished?

snowflaker wrote: »

Check with the parents who are punishing them on that one. Because the state is certainly not punishing them.

Don't worry, there's more where that came from.

As I've already said on this thread ( it's impossible you've missed it), I'm all in favour of taking action so that never happens again, or never happens at all. The voucher system could be one such action, sure.

If a girl who from a family who have received vouchers or had other steps taken to prevent this from happening is still repeatedly looking for them, it should be flagged as a problem.

But, regardless of what other steps are being taken, and what the parents are doing, and where that voucher went to...if a girl needs sanitary products right now but can't get them...the question is does she get them or not. Or if there is any scenario in which a girl is refused them by a school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Check with the parents who are punishing them on that one. Because the state is certainly not punishing them.

So it's ok for society to look away, no duty of care to its most vulnerable citizens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

And some Dutch Mold and a new string vest, I suppose.

The parents get children's allowance to buy things like sanitary protection for their daughters. That's what childrens Allowance is for.
    So why would they also need to be given free sanitary protection items?
    What other essentials that they have already been given money for should they also be given for free?
    Where do you draw the line?
    Also what do you mean by help with money management or do you just mean give them more money?

I mean exactly what I said. Help with money management. As opposed to going to extremes, and putting children in care...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Have the poor got so lazy nowadays they can't even be bothered shoplifting for the essentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

So it's ok for society to look away, no duty of care to its most vulnerable citizens

We have care facilities and foster homes for children that have been abused by their parents.

Who is looking away? Looking away actually is saying "Of course you couldn't be expected to pay for the tampax and paracetamol out of the children's allowance that was given to you for that very purpose. So here's more money and we'll just ignore your lack of parenting skills and the ensuing neglect until the next crisis erupts ".

But who is punishing anyone? Everyone agrees that the immediate crisis at hand should be dealt with promptly, but some of us feel that that crisis is indicative of serious neglect on behalf of the child's parents.

I mean exactly what I said. Help with money management. As opposed to going to extremes, and putting children in care...

What kind of help though? Mostly they don't acknowledge that there is a problem with money management, other than the concept that the government doesn't give them enough money, as the TDs are all driving around in gold Mercedes and keep all the money for themselves. So, as others have said, for the most part any attempts to persuade them to change their approach to bills and other commitments fall on deaf ears.
    I think that for the most chaotic families who have proved themselves to be totally unresponsive, that a voucher system leaving very little actual cash would very quickly focus minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Some serious hate dude. Have you thought about examining its source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

An extreme case of child neglect is a result of the parents. In this case it's the job of the state to step in. By your reasoning the state shouldn't because it's the parent responsible. Those who believe that the state shouldn't because the parents are responsible are the ones that need the help.

Can anyone think of a recently discovered historical case where children were punished for the behaviour of their parents?

Advertisement