Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too poor to buy sanitary towels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

If you read my earlier posts you would see that I said the children should be removed from the parents if they are are not willing or able to raise them - either by denying them access to sanitary products or allowing them to mitch from school because of this.

Do you think there is an abundance of foster parents to facilitate this?

Sanitary protection should be provided by schools free of cost. The price would be a pittance compared to the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Sanitary protection should be provided by schools free of cost. The price would be a pittance compared to the benefits.

How much will that cost us per annum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Less than their future dole if they don't get an education, or the cost of foster care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I would expect that the parents would see the light once they were educated and would go out of their way to ensure their daughters needs were met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A fraction compared to paying social workers and foster carers. I thought you were all about saving money or maybe it's more about punishing people for being poor cause I can't see any other reason to begrudge a girl from a family on benefits her education over the price of a few pads.

A lot less than foster care.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would expect that the parents would see the light once they were educated and would go out of their way to ensure their daughters needs were met.

Like the rest of your expectations this kind of thinking belongs in Narnia.

Less than their future dole if they don't get an education, or the cost of foster care.

Chances are they will end up on me dole anyway if the have such bad parents.

If you read my earlier posts you would see that I said the children should be removed from the parents if they are are not willing or able to raise them - either by denying them access to sanitary products or allowing them to mitch from school because of this.

You have some issues if you think your stance on any of this is even approaching reasonable.

• Advertisement

Chances are they will end up on me dole anyway if the have such bad parents.

There you have it folks

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Like the rest of your expectations this kind of thinking belongs in Narnia.

So you don't really think education works...explains a lot.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

''These people''? You don't know them. Maybe you have particular people in mind and you'd be right in a way. There are such people, but some people never seem to get a break no matter what they do. Unless you know the intimate details of peoples circumstances its not fair to assume. We all get dealt different cards in life.

eviltwin wrote: »
    There you have it folks

If their parents are not capable of meeting their essential needs in the generous welfare states of Ireland or the U.K. then they are not capable parents.

Candie wrote: »
    You have some issues if you think your stance on any of this is even approaching reasonable.

Why, because I think parents should be held responsible for their action or inaction?

Why, because I think parents should be held responsible for their action or inaction?

Is it just this particular scheme you take issue with or do you object to any support for families on welfare?

Because you'd have innocent kids pay any price as long as you get to punish poor people for daring to exist in a welfare state.

So you don't really think education works...explains a lot.

So let me get this straight. Your arguement revolves around the parent's of said children having a basic lack of economic sense. You then go on to suggest foster care and parental education is a viable economic alternative to supply sanitary pads.

Pot say hello to kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

You do know that sex ed. is taught in schools for precisely that reason, being it in one, or two-parent families?

Alcohol abuse is hardly a subject children would feel embarrassed to talk to their parents about..

My daughter did her LC in 2016 and had absolutely zero sex Ed at school.
    In any case every girl needs an adult woman to be able to talk to from time to time in her teenage years, if only to clear up what are myths and what are facts.
    I find it very hard to believe that a lone father has absolutely no sister, sister in law, or other woman well known to his children who can be called upon.

Alcohol drugs gambling and promiscuous behaviour can be a very touchy subject if there's an issue too close to home.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. You think a lone father can be excused for sending his daughters to school with no sanitary protection. You also apparently think that the school have the whole boys/sex/contraception issue covered.
    I don't agree.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Because you'd have innocent kids pay any price as long as you get to punish poor people for daring to exist in a welfare state.

As I have explained the parents should be given the opportunity to be 'educated' to their failings as parents. If they continue to fail their children then the state needs to step in.

Splitting families up should be avoided unless absolutely necessary, it's not a nice outcome and it's not often what children would want.

It broke my heart to ask my mother for money. A lot of people didn't have money at the time. My mother never drank or smoked either and worked herself very hard to raise us. Tough times but she helped me through uni. I imagine not being able to buy sanitary products is a big source of stress.

So many things were a source of stress, weren't they? School supplies, those other small incidental expenses that you tried to hide from your mother because she had enough on her plate. The thrill of getting a couple of nights of babysitting so you could by them yourself instead of asking the mother for stuff.

Pretty much all the kids I went to school with were in the same boat though. At least we did not have to deal with comparisons.

Yes. And until things come good for people through a combination of fortitude and determination, you won't usually know they were trying all along, just by looking at their situation as it currently stands. That's why it's better not to assume.
    Mental health difficulties can account for the cases that don't turn out as well as you imagine yours would, given the same set of circumstances.

True but that bad hand is poverty. Not self inflicted, deserved or desired. Poverty often can't be avoided. Staying in poverty is a choice sometimes, but not ending up in it.

So let me get this straight. Your arguement revolves around the parent's of said children having a basic lack of economic sense. You then go on to suggest foster care and parental education is a viable economic alternative to supply sanitary pads.

Pot say hello to kettle.

Parental education, if that doesn't work then next step is foster care. Simples.

Parents denying their children access to sanitary products is awful. But some people on here don't seem to have a problem with that. Wonder why?

Ah I don't think anything is ever that black and white, Pbear.

Some people have a better equipped inner toolbox, as it were. That doesn't mean the people who don't have the same tools just give up, it just means they don't see any way out.

Poverty of spirit is probably harder to overcome than material poverty.

Splitting families up should be avoided unless absolutely necessary, it's not a nice outcome and it's not often what children would want.

If the parents are wilfully neglecting the children then it may be the best outcome.

If the parents are wilfully neglecting the children then it may be the best outcome.

Rather it's just creating bigger issues down the road

• Advertisement

Maybe. But, sometimes peoples situations, though hard to understand, can be straightened out.

Advertisement