Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie hill climb challenge (Dublin) 2017 - Sat 25th March, 9am, Stocking Lane

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

secman wrote: »
    And trust that one doesn't get a young buck of a mountain goat to ride a bike with one's garmin up the hill :)

I'll tie it on my dog :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Although I haven't ridden a proper hill in 2+ years, I'd be interested in this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I have fond memories of winning a two-person TT hamper race with doozerie 20+ years ago. We guessed our time within 20 seconds.

Mental image of yourself and doozerie riding a tandem TT bike with a hamper on the rear pannier. Seems entirely plausible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I voted Stocking lane. If it was up Kilmashouge it would need to be renamed the Evil hill challenge and we already have an Evil event on the horizon.

After reading the last thread from a few years ago it seems the car park at the viewing point keeps people off the road and space to park cars and allows NamelessPhil space to set up another cookie stand;)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

The Kilternan to Glencullen route - Segment (kinda)
    It has a good staging area at the start and the end.

New/Future Suggestions:
    Would Cruagh Road up to the Pine Forest Peak be good? - Segment
    It has no stops, although it does have a downhill.

Enniskerry to the Top of the Featherbeds - Segment
    It has a good starting staging area and a cold end staging area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

Mutton and Tibradden Lanes:

https://www.strava.com/segments/11629402

Very quiet (its a dead end) bit of space at the top and a café/petting zoo at the bottom (http://www.thehazelhouse.ie/)
    and not as tough as Kilmashogue

Thud wrote: »
    Mutton and Tibradden Lanes:

https://www.strava.com/segments/11629402

Very quiet (its a dead end) bit of space at the top and a café/petting zoo at the bottom (http://www.thehazelhouse.ie/)
    and not as tough as Kilmashogue

And it has Club Italiano which always reminds me of fat Tony's hideout from the Simpsons anytime i go past it. I've never seen anyone there and always wonder what goes on in it.

On a serious note, i was up there the other day and two locals drove down while i was on my way up and they had no intentions of giving way to me. Its not the first time i've noticed this either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

colm18 wrote: »
    Timing: Last time there was manual timing with stopwatches etc. I’m too lazy for this myself. We could use Strava? Open to other ideas

If I am available that morning I would be happy to do timing from the start, just need one other volunteer with a pen and paper at the other end.

Stepaside village to Johnnie Foxes would be good but you would need another marshall at the left turn after the steep bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... i was up there the other day and two locals drove down while i was on my way up and they had no intentions of giving way to me. Its not the first time i've noticed this either.
    The last time I was there a 'local' did the same forcing me to stop. She said that I had no business being there. When I pointed out that it was a public road, she said it was a cul de sac and therefore only locals had access. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

And it has Club Italiano which always reminds me of fat Tony's hideout from the Simpsons anytime i go past it. I've never seen anyone there and always wonder what goes on in it.

Always wondered about that myself. Apparently it is what it says on the tin; http://clubitalianoirlanda.ie/about-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

smacl wrote: »
    Always wondered about that myself. Apparently it is what it says on the tin; http://clubitalianoirlanda.ie/about-us/

Dublin Inquirer had a great piece in their print edition: http://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/07/12/in-rathfarnham-an-italian-mountain-retreat/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g0g

Red Lane!? Usually quite enough! Or Merry Ploughboy to start of gravel at top of Three Rock?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

g0g wrote: »
    Red Lane!? Usually quite enough! Or Merry Ploughboy to start of gravel at top of Three Rock?

Red lane is nice but that bit further which I think would impact on numbers. 3-rock a good option also but I don't think there's any benefit to adding in any more poll options at this stage - it's looking like Stocking Lane.

If this goes well though we should try and make it a regular event, so we can hit all the best climbs around.

Red lane is nice.....
    I can think of a lot of words to describe Red Lane but 'nice' would not be one of them.

3 rock is one of my favorite climbs but is popular with hillwalkers who don't always hear you coming behind them.

....If this goes well though we should try and make it a regular event, so we can hit all the best climbs around.
    There is already a regular Boards.ie event which hits all the best climbs around (.....in the same ride!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

This is a great idea, Dublin needs a few open hill climbs!

There is already a regular Boards.ie event which hits all the best climbs around (.....in the same ride!).

This event is for hill aficionados, the Evil is for hill fetishists :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Cunard for the craic.

Or stocking lane...

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Cunard for the craic...
    Now in fairness Cunard is probably the most traffic-free of all south Dublin climbs. Even though it's not a Cul de Sac, I don't think I've ever encountered more than one vehicle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

Now in fairness Cunard is probably the most traffic-free of all south Dublin climbs. Even though it's not a Cul de Sac, I don't think I've ever encountered more than one vehicle on it.

Round 2 of the Hillclimb series on Kippure...nice warm up spin to get there

Is this happening next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Can't make it

Result!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Has there been a venue/time picked?

Stocking lane @ 9.am beside the nursing home at the roundabout???

Forgot all about this (and really wish everyone else had forgotten too :-P ) - yep, so as above post 9am at the stocking Lane roundabout!

What date was picked?

CramCycle wrote: »
    What date was picked?

Saturday 25th March

• Advertisement

Could a Mod update the title with date/time/location? (Saturday 25th March, 9am, Stocking Lane roundabout)

Cheers

Advertisement