Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie hill climb challenge (Dublin) 2017 - Sat 25th March, 9am, Stocking Lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    I might give it a go, but I'm a hopeless climber, rarely venture out that way. I wanted to cry going up lovers leap lane and stepaside lane the last 2 times I was cycling south of the Liffey..
    Stocking Lane has a much more gentle gradient than Stepaside Lane.
    secman wrote: »
    Not commiting or anything ,where exactly is the start and finish, I'm hopeless with name places, l know its " stocking Lane ". For example I know a route from The Mill pub that brings you up a climb to a T junction, take right and that brings you up by hellfire fire club entrance, keep going and brings you up to View point. From there take high Road up to featherbed and up past kippure to Sallygap Gap.
    Have I been anywhere near stocking Lane ?
    Yes and no! :D

The road you climb first is Gunny Hill. The T Junction you arrive at is where Stocking lane ends (on your left) and Kilakee Road begins (on your right) which later becomes the Military Road.

For simplicity most refer to the route from Scholarstown Road to the Viewing point as 'Stocking Lane'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Unfortunately I can't make this but would be interested if it comes up again. Are there defo weight categories? If so, is there a super heavy weight one? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

secman wrote: »
    Not commiting or anything ,where exactly is the start and finish, I'm hopeless with name places, l know its " stocking Lane ". For example I know a route from The Mill pub that brings you up a climb to a T junction, take right and that brings you up by hellfire fire club entrance, keep going and brings you up to View point. From there take high Road up to featherbed and up past kippure to Sally Gap Gap.
    Have I been anywhere near stocking Lane ?

Yes, at that T junction take a left and you will go down to the Roundabout/Nursing Home starting point mentioned in this thread.

Alternatively, If you are going past the Ballycullen Lidl before taking a right up Gunny Hill, Just keep going straight and you will end up at the starting point also.

The "Full" Stocking Lane actually starts at the bottom of that road, down past Prospect Manor, and crosses over the M50.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yes, at that T junction take a left and you will go down to the Roundabout/Nursing Home starting point mentioned in this thread.

Alternatively, If you are going past the Ballycullen Lidl before taking a right up Gunny Hill, Just keep going straight and you will end up at the starting point also.

The "Full" Stocking Lane actually starts at the bottom of that road, down past Prospect Manor, and crosses over the M50.

You should have no problem for this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bike is going into the shop thursday for a new rear derailleur...if its in decent nick ill take a spin out sat morn, maybe not for 9am though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Freehub went on the bike. Dropped it into LBS just now..fingers crossed I'll have it back by Saturday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ah c'mon, you have a spare hardtail!

Hmm, I guess doing it on the mtb would be a perfect excuse for a humiliating time..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There was a jardtail vs road bike race here years ago across the city. Can't remember how it went though

Interesting, any details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    There was a jardtail vs road bike race here years ago across the city. Can't remember how it went though

It's a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

colm18 wrote: »
    Freehub went on the bike. Dropped it into LBS just now..fingers crossed I'll have it back by Saturday :eek:

You'd be tall enough to borrow my singlespeed 🙄

It's a mystery

How strangely entertaining is to read this ancient Boards papyrus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

will mercian pro be there on his tandem?

If you'll all agree to run it in reverse starting at the viewing point, I'm sure Tom would agree to participate with myself up front. :)

Failing that, I was planning on meeting up with a friend from Laragh and going for a spin in the hills given the good forecast. As the road to Laragh from home unfortunately takes in Stocking Lane, I will probably be in the vicinity around 9.00 or so and may even try to better my current 126th position on the Boards list. If anyone is interested in a cool-down spin after the hill climb with coffee in Laragh followed by the Wicklow Gap, I'd welcome the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...and may even try to better my current 126th position on the Boards list...
    Surely some mistake as I'm 82nd. Did you do that time riding the tandem solo? :D
    ...If anyone is interested in a cool-down spin after the hill climb with coffee in Laragh followed by the Wicklow Gap, I'd welcome the company.
    .....mmmm tempting!

I'm trying to decide between doing overtime (as I could do with the money) or a nice stress free day on the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

If you'll all agree to run it in reverse starting at the viewing point, I'm sure Tom would agree to participate with myself up front. :)

Failing that, I was planning on meeting up with a friend from Laragh and going for a spin in the hills given the good forecast. As the road to Laragh from home unfortunately takes in Stocking Lane, I will probably be in the vicinity around 9.00 or so and may even try to better my current 126th position on the Boards list. If anyone is interested in a cool-down spin after the hill climb with coffee in Laragh followed by the Wicklow Gap, I'd welcome the company.

Sounds very tempting, my plan is to head to Laragh also. Haven't done Wicklow Gap yet. Sounds like I might get to pop my 100k cherry.

On the other hand, I might be better off not racing up Stocking Lane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Whyner wrote: »
    Sounds very tempting, my plan is to head to Laragh also. Haven't done Wicklow Gap yet. Sounds like I might get to pop my 100k cherry.
    Always fun, unfortunately, it then turns into your 200km cherry and before you know it your disappearing for 24hours at a time, chasing that high.
    On the other hand, I might be better off not racing up Stocking Lane
    The key to racing up Stocking lane, is not racing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The key to racing up Stocking lane, is to not do it at all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd be more concerned about not making the cut-off time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'll be there if my legs recover from 5-a-side tonight.

Out: Hamstring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I'd say i would be slower going DOWN Stocking Lane than you lot would be going up!

Got the bike back good as new thanks to Cliff and the lads in 2wheels :cool:

Got the bike back good as new thanks to Cliff and the lads in 2wheels :cool:

Any other excuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

So is this gonna be a case of we just go cycle the segment and the boards leader for the day wins, or is it actually at 9 with people setting off every couple of minutes?

So is this gonna be a case of we just go cycle the segment and the boards leader for the day wins, or is it actually at 9 with people setting off every couple of minutes?

Preferably the latter, so hopefully a good group turns up for 9am. Some people have said they may need to give it a go earlier so their times can be included too by looking at the daily leaderboard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I don't think it likely that I will be there for 09:00 but I was considering cycling past later in the day.

I did a practice run this morning in the event I can't make it tomorrow (little lad has swimming at 10:30).

Did a PB but lost 3/4 places on the boards leaderboard. Clearly others are practicing!

So as people don't have to trawl through the thread..

This is the segment - https://www.strava.com/segments/806595

Meeting at the roundabout at the start at 9 tomorrow

I worked hard this morning to have a good excuse for tomorrow. With 1500m / 40k in the legs I'm not expecting to achieve anything ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im going out to watch the football tonight and a few pints after so will not be there at 9am - if i am i will prob be in bits

Will go up it later in the afternoon

Advertisement