Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nier Automata

Options
  • 07-03-2017 12:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So the reviews are out, 90% average on Metacritic.

Really can't wait to play this one even though I'll have to wait for the PC release.

The original was one of the best experiences of the last generation for me. The best 7/10 game money could buy :) With Platinum on board with this one hopefully they can iron out the jank which was the only real issue with the original.

I've been listening to the soundtrack as well and it seems to be as good as the originals.

Apparently just like the original you won't get half of what the game offers without delving into New Game plus mode.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pre-ordered on Steam.

Yes, I know I'm not supposed to, but it's PlatinumGames!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Will be going for the PS4 version. My PC is a bit long in the tooth these days, and the PS Pro, will probably do a better job of things.

wes wrote: »
    Will be going for the PS4 version. My PC is a bit long in the tooth these days, and the PS Pro, will probably do a better job of things.

Could just upgrade it though ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,056 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What are Platinum's past PC ports like? I'm wary after From Software's lazy attempts, but tempted after seeing a video on the background for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I thought the first game was absolute rubbish but I'm still incredibly excited for this game, it really feels like Yoko Taro is back at his best paired with a revengeance level effort at reworking someone else's game from platinum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Spear wrote: »
    What are Platinum's past PC ports like? I'm wary after From Software's lazy attempts, but tempted after seeing a video on the background for this.

Their metal gear rising revengeance port was stellar.

Also PC poets are much simpler these days with the similarities between PC and console architecture these days. Even From gave us a fine port of Dark Souls 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Could just upgrade it though ;)

I think at this point, I would basically be rebuilding the whole thing. Probably need a new mother board for any meaningful upgrades. Will probably do it for later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

theirs too many games and not enough schmeckles :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not enough time either. Zelda has gone back in it's case until I'm done with Nioh and now this game is almost upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This year has been ridiculous so far Zelda, Horizon, Nioh, Yakuza 0, Mass Effect Andromeda, For Honor, Resi 7, Gravity Rush, Nier Automata, Yooka Laylee, Prey and others i'm likely forgetting.

Anyway I saw this video last week about Nier and thought i'd share it. Yoko Taro seems like quite the individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Can't wait for this now, not usually my type of game but I really enjoyed the demo and I love the art style and direction, Day One Edition with the PS1 pod skin pre ordered.

As said above so many good games at once, q1 of 2017 is a great time for gaming imo. Res 7, Zelda, Horizon, Mass Effect and this are all and will be in my to play list at home as they are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Is this supposed to be of a similar difficulty to DS/Bloodborne?

Cina wrote: »

The "Easy" mode pretty much plays the game for you, if you're a JRPG player first.

The "Very Hard" mode kills you in 1 hit.

PlatinumGames, by their own words, try to balance their games to be fun for Easy/Normal mode players first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cina wrote: »

No, not even close. This is easy and you can change difficulty on the fly. Then there are as many new game plus and chapter select modes as you like and everything carries over. It can be as fun or difficult as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Its confirmed to have denuvo so I'll be skipping it until its removed or is on sale for pennies.

I wasn't sold by this game at all at first but my hankering for the new zelda might have to be appeased by this.

Its confirmed to have denuvo so I'll be skipping it until its removed or is on sale for pennies.

Why is that a big deal?

Why is that a big deal?

Stops us modding 2B so we can see even more of her arse! :pac:

Must have a look at the demo later on now I finally have a PS4. Find platinum very hit or miss. I'm leaning more towards hit from what I've seen of this so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's a just a business decision I don't want to financially support in the industry. To me it's companies wasting their budgets on DRM (that doesn't work and may inconvenience customers) instead of investing in things I appreciate and want to encourage like uncapped framerates and linux support.

Oh and it's capped at 1080p 60fps https://youtu.be/JO-_FKlHRRQ?t=1442
    " we wont allow to change resolution/fps because we want players to experience the game at the highest quality that we think"

I wouldn't say I've completely lost interest but I've definitely lost €59.99 of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm looking forward to playing it, the demo was strong. Although I find the 'real game is after the credits' idea a tad overused at this stage - comes across a bit gimmicky now that a good few games have used the concept, even if this sounds like it goes considerably further with the idea than others.

I find it very hard pushed to pay €60 for a game ever since the **** show that was Fallout 4. That sounds very entitled but indy games have spoiled me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I find it very hard pushed to pay €60 for a game ever since the **** show that was Fallout 4. That sounds very entitled but indy games have spoiled me.

Few games hold thise price that long either. Especially stuff like this game....no offence to Platinum.
    I've barely scratched Zelda but am using it as an excuse to put stuff like this in an unpurchased backlog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm looking forward to playing it, the demo was strong. Although I find the 'real game is after the credits' idea a tad overused at this stage - comes across a bit gimmicky now that a good few games have used the concept, even if this sounds like it goes considerably further with the idea than others.

If it's anything like the original it's not like other new game plus and we'll worth experiencing. It won't feel like playing the same game again. And it's platinum soade to be replayed.

Had a look at some of the reviews and played the some of the demo and hard to believe they were talking about the same game I played. Don't mean that in a negative way just wasn't expecting what the reviews said about the game being open world after what I played in the demo.

Found it quite jarring how it switched from 3D to 2.5D to top down , not bad things just unexpected.

Curious now about it given they say it's open world, so time for some more videos I think. How open is open is my main question I guess :confused:

Definitely seems more Platinum hit than Platinum miss for me. With them I either love their game or absolutely hate it.

Found it quite jarring how it switched from 3D to 2.5D to top down , not bad things just unexpected.

It was something the original did quite a bit, you'd be playing the game and the camera would switch and you'd find yourself playing a completely different genre of game before you even realised it. It was really neat how it transitioned into all these genres with call backs to the likes of Diablo, Resident Evil and even text based adventures, switching into the gameplay dynamically without any interruption to the flow or mechanics of the game.

It's a just a business decision I don't want to financially support in the industry. To me it's companies wasting their budgets on DRM (that doesn't work and may inconvenience customers) instead of investing in things I appreciate and want to encourage like uncapped framerates and linux support.

Oh and it's capped at 1080p 60fps https://youtu.be/JO-_FKlHRRQ?t=1442

I wouldn't say I've completely lost interest but I've definitely lost €59.99 of interest.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

1920x1080 makes up 43.23% of monitors on Steam.

Higher resolutions make up less than 5%, combined.

From a business POV, I understand if you decide to devote your resources to textures/assets that will look good at 1080p.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was something the original did quite a bit, you'd be playing the game and the camera would switch and you'd find yourself playing a completely different genre of game before you even realised it. It was really neat how it transitioned into all these genres with call backs to the likes of Diablo, Resident Evil and even text based adventures, switching into the gameplay dynamically without any interruption to the flow or mechanics of the game.

I've had the original on my shelf unplayed a criminally long time , got it for a 5er in a sale. Though I got the impression they were linked pretty much in name only? Ok some characters pop up but that they were very different?

I'm waiting for Nier to go BC on Xbox now so I can play it.

Anyone else find the art style a bit bland

• Advertisement

I've had the original on my shelf unplayed a criminally long time , got it for a 5er in a sale. Though I got the impression they were linked pretty much in name only? Ok some characters pop up but that they were very different?

I'm waiting for Nier to go BC on Xbox now so I can play it.

There's apparently some cross over but you can enjoy them separately.

Advertisement