Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nier Automata

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

J. Marston wrote: »
    But I want to though.

Also, after seeing a few more environments, I'm convinced the graphics department blew their budget on 2B, her dress and boots and then realised they had about 100 quid left for the rest.

I'm kinda just stuck on looking at her :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I played route A and B before Christmas and took a break until tonight thinking route C would be similar to the first two but after an hour of route C I was clearly wrong.

Some plot questions/spoilers for people who've finished all the main routes
    I chose to save/revive A2. What should I know about A2's backstory/motivations at the start of route C ? From my memory of the first two routes she's a renegade Yorha member who defected after she learned the battle was pointless because there were no humans left. I also remember that she killed the forest king and you fight her once.

When 2B is dying why does she react like 2A is an old friend ? Is that something that'll be revealed later on or have I forgotten something.

I would google it but I know I'd end up spoiling the whole thing accidentally :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gyan84 wrote: »
    I played route A and B before Christmas and took a break until tonight thinking route C would be similar to the first two but after an hour of route C I was clearly wrong.

Some plot questions/spoilers for people who've finished all the main routes
    I chose to save/revive A2. What should I know about A2's backstory/motivations at the start of route C ? From my memory of the first two routes she's a renegade Yorha member who defected after she learned the battle was pointless because there were no humans left. I also remember that she killed the forest king and you fight her once.

When 2B is dying why does she react like 2A is an old friend ? Is that something that'll be revealed later on or have I forgotten something.

I would google it but I know I'd end up spoiling the whole thing accidentally :o
    2B loves 9S
    I'm almost certain that's all you need to know, but it's also a big spoiler still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Really loving this. Best game I've played since Horizon.

Finished route A, just started route B.
    I'm expecting it to skip some parts but I really wouldn't mind playing through the whole thing again as 9S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did anyone else get ending K by accident? :P :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Vicxas wrote: »
    Did anyone else get ending K by accident? :P :)
    Yeah and I hadn't saved in about two hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished ABCDE. What a game.

When I finished route B
    and route C started, I was expecting it to be a quick epilogue, especially with how it started (2B's death) but it feels like that was only 50-60% of the game complete.

Route C just kept going on and on and on, in a good way though because I loved the gameplay and the story was amazing. One of those game plots that leaves a little hole in you. 2B and 9S are one tragic pairing.

Also, the credits for ending E were so well done. I deleted everything afterwards. I'll probably play it again somewhere down the line but it felt right to delete it all.

Loved it. 10/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Been debating getting this since released on Xbox a few weeks back so finally picked it up today based on the review below and currently downloading. Looking forward to getting stuck in tonight now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NiyfG8Ctbo&t=645s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Any way to turn off those black borders during cutscenes. They are getting in the way of some cool screenshots.

Just finished it on Xbox with all achievements. Yeah I bought the ones for the weapons and endings.

Loved it, just hope they make the original backwards compatible now I've had it sat on the shelf for years now.

If someone told you that you have to play a game at least 3 times to get the full story you'd baulk but thats not how this game works as the playthroughs are totally different. I had some reading to do as I'd not played the first game and guessed the big plot point in this from the off but still a story that interested me more than most games in recent times.

Also got stung by ending K :o

I think the only thing I wasn't mad about was the combat with 9s

• Advertisement

Also got stung by ending K :o

I think the only thing I wasn't mad about was the combat with 9s
    If K was
    the fish one
    it got me too. I found 9S' combat much easier because I hacked everything.

Evade wrote: »
    If K was
    the fish one
    it got me too. I found 9S' combat much easier because I hacked everything.

Yeah stupid
    mackerel
    :p

Yeah stupid
    mackerel
    :p
    I removed 2B's OS chip about an hour into the game too.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Any way to turn off those black borders during cutscenes. They are getting in the way of some cool screenshots.

Haven't figured out a way yet. Its a pain in the h0le for cut scenes,really takes from them. Don't mind it so much for regular parts of the game but don't see the need for it, its not like you couldn't see the subtitles without it.

Near the end of Route C now. Actually haven't came across any joke endings yet so must go back and see them once level select is unlocked. I must be making all the sensible/ careful choices.

What a game though. Its not perfect but not far from it for me. To be able to have you come back to the same areas multiple times can be a bit of a cop out in most games but its some achievement that they've made it interesting each time you return and actually makes sense as a gameplay mechanic given the different perspectives each time you return.

I just got the K ending for
    eating some mackerel Jackass gave me
    FFS :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

skerry wrote: »
    Haven't figured out a way yet. Its a pain in the h0le for cut scenes,really takes from them. Don't mind it so much for regular parts of the game but don't see the need for it, its not like you couldn't see the subtitles without it.

Near the end of Route C now. Actually haven't came across any joke endings yet so must go back and see them once level select is unlocked. I must be making all the sensible/ careful choices.

What a game though. Its not perfect but not far from it for me. To be able to have you come back to the same areas multiple times can be a bit of a cop out in most games but its some achievement that they've made it interesting each time you return and actually makes sense as a gameplay mechanic given the different perspectives each time you return.
    Try the Vidsquish mod

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/vidsquish/discussions/0/1290691937717826366/

Have to say I'm loving this, just finished the forest world, don't have a clue how long I have left but loving the characters, music and combat. Only figured out how to upgrade my skills a little while back so that's helped things along. 2B is such a great character.

Less than a third of the way. There's three playthroughs until you get the real ending.

Less than a third of the way. There's three playthroughs until you get the real ending.

Less than a 3rd of the way through the first playthrough?

Less than a 3rd of the way through the first playthrough?
    About half to two thirds of the way through route A.

• Advertisement

About half to two thirds of the way through route A.

Ha more confused now but I'm gonna push on, less I know, the better, I suppose.

You'll get ending A for the 2B story you're on now then minor
    you play as 9S following roughly the same missions as in 2B's story for ending B
    then bigger
    Route C goes in a whole new direction and you get the true ending(s).

Not touching those spoilers, enjoying the mystery of the whole thing :)

Fuuuuuck. Got to copied city, died in the boss battle, checked my skills to mix things up and saw I only had hud chips installed. Just realised you lose your chips when you die. Got back to the boss but couldn't find my body, died again. Had some really really good chips equipped. This explains why I would be randomly missing skills throughout my playthrough though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Started this tonight and was playing on normal and got my as s handed to me, so dropped down to easy, what difficulty are he playing on?

Started this tonight and was playing on normal and got my as s handed to me, so dropped down to easy, what difficulty are he playing on?

Playing on normal, finding it grand. Some fights take a few goes alright. Just just the skills tab in the menu and make sure you are equipping chips in increase defense, attack, auto heal when health is low, etc. Only found one new weapon which I didn't like, didn't buy any new weapons yet. Also buy storage when you can to equip more chips.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing on normal, finding it grand. Some fights take a few goes alright. Just just the skills tab in the menu and make sure you are equipping chips in increase defense, attack, auto heal when health is low, etc. Only found one new weapon which I didn't like, didn't buy any new weapons yet. Also buy storage when you can to equip more chips.

Easy is to easy so I'm gonna go back to normal.

Fuuuuuck. Got to copied city, died in the boss battle, checked my skills to mix things up and saw I only had hud chips installed. Just realised you lose your chips when you die. Got back to the boss but couldn't find my body, died again. Had some really really good chips equipped. This explains why I would be randomly missing skills throughout my playthrough though.

What they don't tell you is that you can just load up your last save instead of pi$$ing around trying to find your body and regain lost chips. Just make sure you save before any battles where you might get your a$$ handed to you ;)

Have you Auto-Use chips installed? Upgrade them if you have them and install as they will automatically use a health pack once your energy gets below a certain level. Saved me wiping in a load of boss fights and are pretty much essential.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Playing on Xbox. Got over them in the end, they do get in the way of some nice screenshots though and are a weird design choice IMO.

• Advertisement

Skerry that's a great tip!

I just found out how to use quick heal in the final battle :p

Route A done, straight onto route B :)

As much as I love the game, I'm not sure I'll make it through route B. Not even at the resistance camp yet and I'm sick of the hacking game. Tempted to just look up the difference in cutscenes and endings. Also, cex are offering 22 cash for it and I bought it for 21 so the temptation is there to sell it.

That would be a mistake A and B are practically the same C is a completely different. Stick with the main quests and get to the end as quickly as possible.

That would be a mistake A and B are practically the same C is a completely different. Stick with the main quests and get to the end as quickly as possible.

I suppose I could drop it to easy and speedrun b. I heard c was different alright.

As much as I love the game, I'm not sure I'll make it through route B. Not even at the resistance camp yet and I'm sick of the hacking game. Tempted to just look up the difference in cutscenes and endings. Also, cex are offering 22 cash for it and I bought it for 21 so the temptation is there to sell it.

Nooooooooooooo, don't do it.

If your enjoying the game so far don't let B put you off. Its definitely the worst playthrough and to be honest not the best decision to have players play through the same levels straight after finishing them, albeit from a different perspective.

There's so much more the game has to offer after route B. The first 2 playthroughs should really be considered kind of extended prologues. It's a whole other game after route B.

I ploughed through route B and actually got to like the protagonist a lot more during it. Its a fast enough playthrough if you just stick to main story quests and its surprising how fast hacking will take a boss down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a contrast, I’d say the game doesn’t massively improve later on. There’s definitely strong narrative and character bits in the back half of the game, but the gameplay remains pretty tedious throughout and most of the tricks have been unveiled earlier on. The hacking mini-game is truly irritating and only gets worse, although there is some additional complexity added much later on.

I should stress the game never properly hooked me in the first place, and I was never really able to get over some of its lacklustre gameplay. But I also don’t agree the game changes significantly later on either... there was certainly nothing to change my mind, and there’s a LOT of game to get through. For IMO, the rewards - as I said earlier in the thread, there’s a handful of high points - didn’t justify the grind.

• Advertisement

Well the B route is going quick on easy with auto fire and evade turned. I'll see how far I get anyway.

As a contrast, I’d say the game doesn’t massively improve later on. There’s definitely strong narrative and character bits in the back half of the game, but the gameplay remains pretty tedious throughout and most of the tricks have been unveiled earlier on. The hacking mini-game is truly irritating and only gets worse, although there is some additional complexity added much later on.

I should stress the game never properly hooked me in the first place, and I was never really able to get over some of its lacklustre gameplay. But I also don’t agree the game changes significantly later on either... there was certainly nothing to change my mind, and there’s a LOT of game to get through. For IMO, the rewards - as I said earlier in the thread, there’s a handful of high points - didn’t justify the grind.

I'd agree that by the second playthrough there are no real additions in terms of gameplay mechanics but in terms of the direction the game takes I thought it was really good and definitely unique.

I found myself thinking I'll just play 30 mins of the next playthrough and then give it a break and play something else, but I kept getting dragged in for hours playing as I genuinely wanted to see what direction the game took next.

I absolutely enjoyed the whole experience and would probably put it in my top 3 games ever. I just loved the way the game was put together and found it mixed up a lot of the styles of my favorite games down through the years. Also the changes in gameplay mechanics are done really well.

Its not perfect and a lot of the side quests can be boring fetch quests but as an overall experience I don't think I've ever had anything like it in gaming and probably won't again for a very long time.

In contract, I Gameshare with my brother and he hasn't really got into it at all. Different strokes I guess.

Well the B route is going quick on easy with auto fire and evade turned. I'll see how far I get anyway.

Was going quick until I got a glitch in the carnival world where the rollercoaster wouldn't progress and I hadn't saved since the desert. Will be quick enough to get back but was enough to make me turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Lads what's the story with saving or checkpoints in this game? I played for about an hour this morning. Got to a boss (big robot with 2 buzz saws). Got to a point where its arm was off and I was shooting at its head. I reckon three or four hits would have done it. Alarm on phone went off. I took eye off screen for a few seconds to switch it off and when I looked back up I was dead. Game then started from the very beginning again. Pissed is an understatement. Did I miss a checkpoint somewhere or what?

Manual saves.

• Advertisement

Manual saves.

I didn't have that option? I had checked and presumed I would find a save point at some stage because of this.

It's in the pause menu.

It's in the pause menu.

Had a quick Google (should probably have done that first), doesn't become available until after that boss apparently. That whole area is considered a prologue or tutorial and saving isn't allowed until you finish it. Given the length of it that seems a bit daft. I'll push through it again, liked the gameplay so far.

Had a quick Google (should probably have done that first), doesn't become available until after that boss apparently. That whole area is considered a prologue or tutorial and saving isn't allowed until you finish it. Given the length of it that seems a bit daft. I'll push through it again, liked the gameplay so far.

Your right, no save until prologue over. Learned the hard way myself. Started game when install wasn't finished but turns out it won't let you save or progress any further after prologue if not fully installed.

Finished prologue first time but couldn't save. Tried rush through it again and died at end so just put it on easy for the 3rd effort as I couldn't handle dying at the end and starting over a 4th time.

Great game

Finished first route. Probably one of the weirdest games I've played. Went from utter boredom to heart pounding combat in the blink of an eye. Only did a few side quests but found them tedious to play (seemed to be nothing but fetch quests). All things considered I enjoyed it but the camera led to a lot of frustration and deaths. It really ramped it up when you returned to the factory, that was insane. I'll give a second play through a go. Need something to keep my attention till Spiderman comes out. Hope game play changes a bit as promised.

Finished first route. Probably one of the weirdest games I've played. Went from utter boredom to heart pounding combat in the blink of an eye. Only did a few side quests but found them tedious to play (seemed to be nothing but fetch quests). All things considered I enjoyed it but the camera led to a lot of frustration and deaths. It really ramped it up when you returned to the factory, that was insane. I'll give a second play through a go. Need something to keep my attention till Spiderman comes out. Hope game play changes a bit as promised.

The 2nd run through is pretty similar to first with slightly different perspective on the story and more hacking. A lot of folks seem to find it the least interesting, especially if you don't like the hacking mini-game. I flew through it, its a lot quicker than the first.

Game really ramps up again after that playthrough then.

skerry wrote: »
    The 2nd run through is pretty similar to first with slightly different perspective on the story and more hacking. A lot of folks seem to find it the least interesting, especially if you don't like the hacking mini-game. I flew through it, its a lot quicker than the first.

Game really ramps up again after that playthrough then.
    I found it quicker too. If you like or are good at the hacking minigame you'll fly through.

3rd play through required to actually see the game through in terms of story.

3rd play through to see story through to completion? Not sure what to make of that haha. I've noticed the hacking seems to be the main of focus of the second play through already. I don't particularly mind it though it's hardly exciting stuff. I left it after finishing the tutorial area from 9S perspective so I'll continue onwards later on.

Are some of the side quests still available that I didn't pick up first time? I could only upgrade my weapons once first play through so presume I need to complete a good few sides to get the upgrade components.

3rd play through to see story through to completion? Not sure what to make of that haha. I've noticed the hacking seems to be the main of focus of the second play through already. I don't particularly mind it though it's hardly exciting stuff. I left it after finishing the tutorial area from 9S perspective so I'll continue onwards later on.

Are some of the side quests still available that I didn't pick up first time? I could only upgrade my weapons once first play through so presume I need to complete a good few sides to get the upgrade components.
    The third playthrough is different timeline
    it continues on after when the first two end
    . First and Second is pretty much the same following 2B and 9S' point of view then it changes.

You can do all the sidequests again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement