Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

slave1 wrote: »
    I disagree, they should be as equally encouraged as the domestic EV owner.
    As an everyday man, myself and my family gain from the taxi emission reduction in terms of air quality alone...

In any case this will be mute soon once the ESB start charging...

I don't think I would support the taxpayer funding a commercial business like this who would stand to make substantial savings over the live of an ev compared to a Diesel unless it was reflected by a notable reduction in taxi fares.

Even if it was not free there simply is not enough charge points but taxi companies surely could arrange to have charge points installed at ranks, I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge deal.

If they had 200 odd kms range like with the Ioniq there's be a lot less need for public charging.

The larger taxi companies could install DC chargers at their depots.

Sure I agree about the emissions end of things but I can't see many taxi drivers changing in Ireland , it's too easy to charge customers for diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

German vid of an Ioniq EV accelerating (outside temp -5C)

Seems to take about 8s from 0-100km/h going on to top speed of 172km/h

Fairly impressive. Always weary of how reliable these indicated speeds are, I guess someone with a GPS will post that at some stage.

For anyone finding this boring, the same youtuber also has other videos of cars accerating, including a Tesla in ludicrous mode :D

Don't forget that without new car sales there'd be no 2nd hand sales......

PCP will likely protect me against serious depreciation next year , 12,500 K , and that's what I was offered for it this year and it would cost be to bail out this year where as next year if they offered me 9 K for instance I don't care because at worst I've no deposit for the next car.

To avoid depreciation I could simply keep it.

I think Ioniq owners might be in for a nasty shock in 3 years especially judging by the complete lack of interest in dealers in electrics and their unwillingness to offer their true value, they're trying to destroy electric car sales so they can make filthy profits on ICE maintenance.

So if there's low interest rates on PCP through Hyundai and a GFMV that's not ridiculously low I'd advise to grab it while you can, the low interest rates are attractive anyway even if PCP wan't itself viable. I heard their PCP interest rates are far lower than finance anyway.

I got PCP at the right time before Nissan destroyed it but if they offer low interest over the 3 years it could make it a cheap loan and then pay off the 5 K at the end, say 5 K cash in the beginning and 5 K at the end. With regular finance you can pay ir over 3-5 years and not face any lump sum payments at the end but you pay a lot more PM and a lot more interest if paying over 5 years.

I think Ioniq owners who bought on PCP might be in for a nasty shock in 3 years

FYP ;)

But nevermind PCP, any EV owner who thinks the second hand value of their car will not suffer when newer and better cars inevitably arrive, is a fool.

unkel wrote: »
    FYP ;)

But nevermind PCP, any EV owner who thinks the second hand value of their car will not suffer when newer and better cars inevitably arrive, is a fool.

Sorry, I meant who buy an Ioniq in general but you're correct any EV, I'm only waking up for night shift.....

Most cars suffer a lot of depreciation anyway.

How would you fair after 3 years in an Astra or C4 or Pulsar for instance ?

• Advertisement

Much better than if you bought a Leaf 3 years ago. And if buying today, probably better than an Ioniq too. EVs do depreciate more over the first few years, but the saving in fuel alone should more than compensate for that, unless your mileage is really low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Much better than if you bought a Leaf 3 years ago. And if buying today, probably better than an Ioniq too. EVs do depreciate more over the first few years, but the saving in fuel alone should more than compensate for that, unless your mileage is really low.

I've been thinking about this recently and have decided that the prospect of buying a brand new EV is not quite as satisfying as buying a year old EV which has taken a big depreciation hit. The idiots at a Mitsubishi dealership (I won't name) and the lack of options for the Ioniq have cooled my burning desire to buy a new EV, or PHEV now.

My new plan is to buy a Leaf Tekna in the UK in the next couple of weeks. I will be looking for the 6.6 version. I'm not too bothered with the colour, but I prefer dark grey, or black. Want at least a 2014 model, most likely a 2015.

Over the next 12 months, I will be keeping an eye on the market for an Outlander PHEV, late 2015 facelift GX4H version. Or if a premium version of the Ioniq pops up, I will go for that. I plan to spend €20k or less if possible, but if the Leaf works out and is comfortable for me, I will be considering a 30kw version.

So I will have either 2 EVs, or 1 EV and a PHEV.

If anyone spots a nice Leaf Tekna with a 6.6, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

FYP ;)

All the more reason not to buy new. It's not just EVs that suffer epic depreciation. Luxo barges are probably worse. A mate bought an 8 year old S class for 14k. It was 124k new (original sales receipt came with it). But unlike a used EV absolutely everything that could go wrong went wrong costing him thousands in maintenance and repairs.

cros13 wrote: »
    Hyundai have put up some more images on their Ioniq page.
    Still not listed in the models on the front page but they have a PCP/HP calculator up:

http://challenge.hyundai.ie/calculate?model=92&trim=490&deposit=10270

They don't allow you change the mileage and they don't show the GFMV! :D

n97 mini wrote: »
    All the more reason not to buy new.

If you're planning to keep your car for 6 years, it makes little difference if you buy brand new or almost new. But if you change every 2 or 3 years or so, it makes a lot more sense not to buy brand new

I'm the first to admit that you can't beat the value of a £12.5k '16 Leaf 30kWh, I think that's the best value for money EV there is at the moment. That's a massive depreciation hit that car took in the first year!

Best of luck with the search goz83! I'm sure we'll all be keeping our eyes peeled in about a years time to see what's available from the UK in second hand Ioniqs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

If you're planning to keep your car for 6 years, it makes little difference if you buy brand new or almost new. But if you change every 2 or 3 years or so, it makes a lot more sense not to buy brand new

I'm the first to admit that you can't beat the value of a £12.5k '16 Leaf 30kWh, I think that's the best value for money EV there is at the moment. That's a massive depreciation hit that car took in the first year!

Best of luck with the search goz83! I'm sure we'll all be keeping our eyes peeled in about a years time to see what's available from the UK in second hand Ioniqs :)
    There's no disagreeing that it's a very good price but could we please display prices in local and not foreign currency? Whilst a vehicle may be purchased in a different currency zone at a great price, it's still going to cost x amount in € to the buyer here, in this case about 15k.....again, still a very good price but not quite as amazing looking as when described in the foreign currency, British pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

highdef wrote: »
    There's no disagreeing that it's a very good price but could we please display prices in local and not foreign currency? Whilst a vehicle may be purchased in a different currency zone at a great price, it's still going to cost x amount in € to the buyer here, in this case about 15k.....again, still a very good price but not quite as amazing looking as when described in the foreign currency, British pounds.

Currencies fluctuate. Wont even be the same price by the time you type it in and get to hit the post button.

Better you just plug it in to google, or look away from the nasty £.

:P

still a very good price but not quite as amazing looking as when described in the foreign currency, British pounds.

As long as we use the correct currency sign, surely people will know the difference? :)

In fact the distinction £12.5k has the extra function of indicating that's the price over in Britain. Not here. €14.7k (todays equivalent of £12.5k) will not get you a '16 30kWh Leaf here. Not by a very long shot.

Anybody can stick £12.5k in google and will know in an instant what the equivalent is in €. We all know it costs nothing in VRT to bring in second hand Leaf from Britain, it will only cost a ferry ticket, a plane ticket and expenses. We all know that's about €200 if you can find cheap ferry and flight. Plus your time. Or €350 + VAT if you let someone else pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

goz83 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this recently and have decided that the prospect of buying a brand new EV is not quite as satisfying as buying a year old EV which has taken a big depreciation hit. The idiots at a Mitsubishi dealership (I won't name) and the lack of options for the Ioniq have cooled my burning desire to buy a new EV, or PHEV now.

My new plan is to buy a Leaf Tekna in the UK in the next couple of weeks. I will be looking for the 6.6 version. I'm not too bothered with the colour, but I prefer dark grey, or black. Want at least a 2014 model, most likely a 2015.

Over the next 12 months, I will be keeping an eye on the market for an Outlander PHEV, late 2015 facelift GX4H version. Or if a premium version of the Ioniq pops up, I will go for that. I plan to spend €20k or less if possible, but if the Leaf works out and is comfortable for me, I will be considering a 30kw version.

So I will have either 2 EVs, or 1 EV and a PHEV.

If anyone spots a nice Leaf Tekna with a 6.6, let me know.

Not a Tekna and its white, but 6.6kW:http://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/nissan/leaf/kildare/1684496

peposhi wrote: »

Deposit taken, but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unable to use Google..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't watch much live TV, but I was very glad to see an ad for the Ioniq during half time of the rugby match yesterday. That is a pretty high visibility and expensive ad slot. Good to see Hyundai actually pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

bk wrote: »
    I don't watch much live TV, but I was very glad to see an ad for the Ioniq during half time of the rugby match yesterday. That is a pretty high visibility and expensive ad slot. Good to see Hyundai actually pushing it.

Not much good having a fancy high visibility TV ad if the salesmen couldn't be arsed selling them.

jca wrote: »
    Not much good having a fancy high visibility TV ad if the salesmen couldn't be arsed selling them.

Well said. I still haven't heard back about a test drive after an email request for same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Well said. I still haven't heard back about a test drive after an email request for same

That's dreadful.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    That's dreadful.

Yep. The rep was mentioned by name from someone who has bought an Ioniq. I took a 10 min test drive and asked about a 24/48 hour test drive. Was told they just had to register one for test drives, but wouldn't be long waiting. I followed up by email a week ago, so now waiting about 2 weeks and nothing. I'm not buying, but will still take test drive, as I will likely buy a higher spec UK version in a year when they have been hammered in depreciation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I would not assume the Ioniq will be hammered like say, the Leaf, the Leaf has two separate models with 5 separate trims and significant options between, e.g. charger.
    The Ioniq has less variants so may be less likely to depreciate as much.

For you I hope it does though....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think the Ioniq will initially hold up better than the Leaf for one simple reason... lack of supply.

Its a new car with limited supply so the only s/h ones that will be available next year will be ex-demos and that will be quite a small number.

You could be lucky, but it will certainly be harder to get the same value as you can from a s/h Leaf.

KCross wrote: »
    I think the Ioniq will initially hold up better than the Leaf for one simple reason... lack of supply.

Its a new car with limited supply so the only s/h ones that will be available next year will be ex-demos and that will be quite a small number.

You could be lucky, but it will certainly be harder to get the same value as you can from a s/h Leaf.

I think it will see some heavy depreciation. Supply is a bit short now, but with plans to release a 350km plus range battery in 2018, there will be a few hitting the market. As more EVs come onto the market, the Ioniq will feel it, as will other EVs. I'll be keeping an eye out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think will will see some heavy depreciation. Supply is a bit short now, but with plans to release a 350km plus range battery in 2018, there will be a few hitting the market. I'll be keeping an eye out anyway.

But they will only be ex-demos, so very short on supply. The general punter who bought this year isnt going to be selling next year unless he has money to burn!

And there is a very good chance that their increased range version will be at a higher price point anyway, the same as every other EV manufacturer, so it might not have the effect you think.

Give it 2 years and the depreciation will start to kick in as there will be some coming off PCP then.

I'll be keeping an eye out with ya! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

A recall has been issued for the Ioniq, due to an issue with the braking system creating a grinding noise. I have mine getting sorted during the week.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2 years = hard Brexit, time will tell, and who can say for certain if the VRT exemption will continue...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

A recall has been issued for the Ioniq, due to an issue with the braking system creating a grinding noise. I have mine getting sorted during the week.
    how is it working out for you?

Seriously? When I was on the test drive, I heard that grinding noise on the first corner. Sounded like a bearing was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Was the garage in touch?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement