Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Is it possible it get different colour accents on the white Electric version? Not the biggest fan of the copper colour.

As I understand it they are model specific. I'm not a fan of the copper personally either.

I drove to work tonight in my 24 Kwh Leaf and averaged 20 Kwh/100 kms , it was quiet cold at 2-3 Deg C, I didn't pre- heat off the mains. 100-110 Kph all of 61 Kms to the work turn off that I averaged 16.5 in the Ioniq.

Weather conditions were Dry cold and breezy, no pre heating for the Leaf

Wet roads, light rain, breezy 10 Deg C, no pre-heating the Ioniq

So after 61 Kms I had 35% battery left in my 24 Kwh Leaf with 20.1 usable according to leaf spy tonight (cold battery and not been driven much in a week) Usable V 65% in the Ioniq with 28 Kwh (usable ) ?

It would be great to get a comparison with the 30 Kwh Leaf but I think the efficiency figures speak for themselves. How the Ioniq would have done tonight is anyone's guess but I think the weather conditions would have balanced out.

A leaf spy equivalent for the Ioniq would be great because then you can directly compare the exact Kwh used per trip something sadly neither car offers, just a useless average of energy consumption.

So I reckon the Ioniq has "around" a 21.2 % efficiency advantage over the Leaf.

Oh BTW Michael Lyng were offering me 12K for my 151 SVE with 6.6 Kw charger and 66,500 odd kms balance on PCP is 15,4650.

So it would not make sense to change and I wouldn't bother now because it would not make sense to pay the balance of 3,500 you could say to clear the loan when next year i'll have to pay 0, I'll just hand the car back and get another one whatever is around then at a good price and perhaps a 2nd hand U.K premium spec Ioniq.

Even if I were to break even now I'd still have 0 deposit and that wasn't the reason for going via PCP anyway so I'd rather have no deposit next year than have no deposit this year with the possibility of having to actually pay a few grand to clear the loan + I'r rather wait and see what's around.

Dealers are really taking the P**S by offering far less than the leaf's actual worth because they do not want anything to do with electric cars because there is too little money to be made on ripping people off for maintenance and it's already proven that certain Nissan dealers are ripping off Leaf owners by making them come back for "service" every 15,0900 Kms or 1 year instead of 30,0900 Kms and one year it's an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,163 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's 21% better efficiency based on your findings* and 25% bigger usuable battery, so about 50% more range

Obviously at higher speeds, the difference would increase exponentially because of the better aerodynamics that barely come into play at 100km/h

*your findings are very similar to a table published a few days ago that lists the efficiency of most EV. Most efficient the Ioniq, next i3 with 9% less, Leaf with 18% less, model S 32% less

Yeah I reckon 170 Kms at 100-110 Kph in the Ioniq, not quiet the 200 Kms people were talking about but still not bad at those speeds and conditions.

Better warmer weather might squeeze another 10 Kms.

By the time I got to Wicklow Town , 115 Kms total Efficiency was at 15.3 Kwh/100 kms probably due to improved weather and dry roads. After 115 Kms I had 37% battery left which makes 170 odd kms plausible but I do wounder how many % is hidden like in the Leaf ? the leaf hided about 7% below about 35%.

But I would say in the Ioniq be close to a charge point by 160 Kms at 110 Kph and plugged in by 170.

Shame they didn't install a 40 Kwh battery, one could expect 242 - 261 Kms but perhaps more at slower speeds and warmer weather.

One thing I noticed about the Ioniq is that it allowed the cabin to cool too much to the point I felt uncomfortable and I could see the heater hitting 3 Kw regularly this can't help efficiency. Once the Leaf is pre heated you would hardly see more than a few moments at 1 Kw and mainly 400-800 watts at the same 10 Deg C. The h eater was set to normal, not Eco. Perhaps a future Firmware update might cure that but I wasn't impressed with the heating, it's plenty warm when it's actually blowing out warm air so the heater is up to the job. When you allow the cabin to cool it takes more energy to heat it back up again than to maintain a constant temp.

I don't know how that person on Facebook managed 12 Kwh / 100 kms, probably driving 60-80 Kph and coasting a lot which you probably could achieve on roads in the West.

The major advantage of the Ioniq is the fast charging !

• Advertisement

The major advantage of the Ioniq is the fast charging !

Most people rarely need fast charging. The 70kWh charging is nice for top trumps / bragging rights but it means nothing to me in my life.

You're a lunatic buying an EV knowing you can't make it to work and back without having to stop somewhere to charge :p

Mad Lad is right :p

This is a bit like the Leaf 3.3 V 6.6 Kw charger, it makes a big difference when you need it and you won't escape without needing to fast charge and the less time you need to spend at a charger the better for you and those waiting on you.

The Ioniq has a 7 Kw charger and so can get a decent amount of juice form an AC point too if you arrive in town and need to charge rather than visit a fast charger.

Travelling from city to city etc then the DC is king but when you get into town AC is king. But the 6.6 in the Leaf means I don't need to fast charge a lot but it's a pain when I do and having 65 Kw all the way to 80% would make a big difference. It will make long trips a lot more bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    Most people rarely need fast charging

When you're travelling beyond half your range, e.g. down country for the weekend, fast charging is essential. I require that at least once a month (twice in the last week alone).

And the Ioniq makes it all the easier. 65 Kw on the ESB chargers ! :D

87 Kw regen ! :eek:

n97 mini wrote: »
    When you're travelling beyond half your range, e.g. down country for the weekend, fast charging is essential. I require that at least once a month (twice in the last week alone).

200+ km in a day would be a once a year, maybe twice for me. I guess it's handy to just do the one 15-20min charge, have to do a toilet stop / buy stuff in shop shop / eat food with the kids anyway :)

Live in Dublin, work in Dublin, all family in Dublin. Most holidays abroad (flying)

• Advertisement

I don't go beyond the range of the Leaf much but I'd be glad of the extra 70 odd kms the Ioniq can travel without charging compared to the 24 Kwh leaf and the fast charging for times I'd go further. I mainly don't travel far these days anyway

The more range you have the less dependence on the public network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Most people rarely need fast charging.
    Could be more than you think.
    You're a lunatic buying an EV knowing you can't make it to work and back without having to stop somewhere to charge tongue.png
    It's not ideal. However, another aspect to consider...
    If you want to get full on return on your investment, those that choose an EV as opposed to ICE and clock up big mileage make the best savings.
    Don't get me wrong - it's not savvy to have to sit at the side of the road to charge in order to get to and from work. However, I choose to do so during one of my work breaks - using the opportunity to stretch the legs for 20 mins and pick up a few groceries. Over 6 months, I've clawed back 10% of total purchase price of the Leaf (through fuel savings alone - not taking in to consideration servicing - and I'd probably have had to do 2x services during that time frame normally with an ICE).

A 10-15 min QC is all I needed to get home before I got the work charge point, do-a-ble but it's not for everyone. Was actually handy for me coming off night shift to get a bit of kip, sometimes I was woken by a knock on the window 30-40 ins later ! :D

The Ioniq is a game changer in that it will allow most people to make their commute and if you have further than 170-200 kms commute then you need to move or find a job closer to home. :D

those that choose an EV as opposed to ICE and clock up big mileage make the best savings.

Aye. It's very surprising there aren't more EV taxis. Perfect business model and incredibly, public charging is completely free even for commercial use. Not sure if the Ioniq is approved to be a taxi?

In the Netherlands there are plenty Tesla Model S taxis, I kid you not.

Commercial use should be banned, imagine taxis sucking juice form the chargers all day long ?

They should install their own chargers and AC points at ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Aye. It's very surprising there aren't more EV taxis. Perfect business model and incredibly, public charging is completely free even for commercial use.

It would be a dangerous thing to buy an EV for taxi business without considering the potential for charging fees to come in.

I suspect that the proposed charges that the ESB tried last year would cripple them.

That said, the introduction of fees would have one small up side, and putting taxis out of the picture would be it.

There are 2 EV taxi drivers in the country that I'm aware of and both of them unashamedly abuse their local FCP to the constant detriment of other drivers. Gorey and Strabane/Lifford.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It would be a dangerous thing to buy an EV for taxi business without considering the potential for charging fees to come in.

It would, but even charging "at home" at full day rates (16c/kWh) still only costs a fraction of diesel per km

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Commercial use should be banned, imagine taxis sucking juice form the chargers all day long ?

I disagree, they should be as equally encouraged as the domestic EV owner.
    As an everyday man, myself and my family gain from the taxi emission reduction in terms of air quality alone...

In any case this will be mute soon once the ESB start charging...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Again, it is a balancing game... If a manager is driving a company car - is it commercial usage or not?

I personally would love to see a fleet of electric taxis, they are perfect candidates for electrification. Do highish mileages and mainly stay within city limits. And if people take a ride in an EV taxi, they will be much more keen on buying one as well.

But the fast chargers are not for them. They could easily live on a slow charger network, located at the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think there at least one if not two Leaf Taxis in cork as well.
    But then, we are a diff Republic of our own!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There are 2 EV taxi drivers in the country that I'm aware of and both of them unashamedly abuse their local FCP to the constant detriment of other drivers. Gort and Strabane/Lifford.

I think you mean Gorey as opposed to Gort?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Water John wrote: »
    I think there at least one if not two Leaf Taxis in cork as well.
    But then, we are a diff Republic of our own!!!
    Yes, there's at least one Leaf taxi in Cork city.
    A leaf spy equivalent for the Ioniq would be great because then you can directly compare the exact Kwh used per trip something sadly neither car offers, just a useless average of energy consumption.

I'd say with an OBD-II scanner, Torque or some similar app and the right custom PIDs you'll be able to get a lot of data from the Ioniq.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As part of the RCN study, it was identified that the optimal pricing structure was 2.9x Electricity Used / £4.50.
    The study assumed a 60% market share by 2030.

This would give a 15% ROI and payback for a charging station to be achieved within 8 years.
    I'd be pretty happy if we have a fully electric taxi fleet paying those kind of charges to help fund network expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

n97 mini wrote: »
    I think you mean Gorey as opposed to Gort?

Yes, my mistake.

The Gorey guy is a real ball bag. Rotates 2 taxis most of the day apparently and will gladly red button another user so he can plug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Hyundai have put up some more images on their Ioniq page.
    Still not listed in the models on the front page but they have a PCP/HP calculator up:

http://challenge.hyundai.ie/calculate?model=92&trim=490&deposit=10270

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Yes, my mistake.

The Gorey guy is a real ball bag. Rotates 2 taxis most of the day apparently and will gladly red button another user so he can plug in.

I make choices to ensure I only get a taxi every couple of years.....its still too often.

Looking at that PCP calculator, I can't understand why people do new cars. I just cant bring myself to do. I will wait for the secondhand Ioniq's.

650Ginge wrote: »
    I can't understand why people do new cars.

Buying new and keeping it for 5 years is probably cheaper than buying it second hand 1 year old and keeping it for 3 years. But if the Ioniq wasn't around I could very well have gone for a nearly new Leaf myself, they are just fantastic value for money.

That said, I'd never go PCP myself. I think it's madness. But it suits some people who like the fixed monthly payments and the semi-security of the GFV and who don't mind paying a premium (interest) for the privilege of owning a new car they can not afford to finance themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Buying new and keeping it for 5 years is probably cheaper than buying it second hand 1 year old and keeping it for 3 years. But if the Ioniq wasn't around I could very well have gone for a nearly new Leaf myself, they are just fantastic value for money.

That said, I'd never go PCP myself. I think it's madness. But it suits some people who like the fixed monthly payments and the semi-security of the GFV and who don't mind paying a premium (interest) for the privilege of owning a new car they can not afford to finance themselves.

Unkel I would like to see how new, keeping for 5 years would work out cheaper than what you used to do and buy older bigger cars, never mind buying a similar sized car.

I think people truly underestimate just how expensive a car is and much expensive in most cases a new car actually is. People make bad decisions all the time, they then completely misrepresent the truth to make themselves feel better. Facts are Facts.

But even if you take the AA figures for a Cat A tax vehicle comes at 21.95c per km at 32000kms a year, €7024 a year. Or if you prefer Dublin to Cork (263kms) costs €115.46 return. If you are a low mileage driver the value is even worse and the same trip in the same typical car is €461.76, to get to Cork and back, holy cow.

I will put the link below, and yes we will also look at the figures and say thats not right and I never spend that but looking at it objectively and not trying to console yourself over your silly life choices you will agree with 90% of the cost. Typically the fuel and running costs are just a fraction, so going electric isn't as big a saver as you think, when all costs are considered.

Maybe this is were the real advantage in relation to cost is for electric vehicles, the way they reduce not just the fuel cost but the total running costs but you still have to be honest the electric car is not yet mainstream and the depreciation is truly horrible compared to an ICE, meaning the cost of going electric will be more over 5 years than an equivalent ICE.

http://www.theaa.ie/aa/motoring-advice/cost-of-motoring.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Personally I think that should go to a thread of its own.... it will go in all sorts of tangents/arguments about EV running costs that are not specific to the Ioniq.

• Advertisement

650Ginge wrote: »
    Unkel I would like to see how new, keeping for 5 years would work out cheaper than what you used to do and buy older bigger cars, never mind buying a similar sized car.

You'd be very surprised. I did some sums (posted them up in this forum at some point) comparing my 13 year old BMW 520i to buying a new Leaf. And even when I biased the figures in favour of the BMW (no more depreciation, very little maintenance - do most of it myself and run it on a shoestring), even with my below average mileage, the total cost of ownership is about the same

Motor tax €120 vs €1,072
    Fuel €100 vs €2000

Those two differences alone (€3k) make up more than enough to cover the annual depreciation on the brand new Leaf / Ioniq over say 5 or 6 years and this was assuming that my 13 year old BMW would go on for another 5 or 6 years without dying or needing work

Then there's cheaper insurance, almost zero maintenance cost, free public charging and the benefit of a 5 year warranty (8 years on battery)

And any 1000km extra on top of what I do would only cost something like a tenner. So you'd use the car more without it crippling you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement