Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

151 65,500 kms SVE Spec , 6.6 kw charger.

Well you can get a 161 30kWh now for £13.5k asking (see slave1's post from yesterday)

That offer from the main dealer was quite generous so really. Sorry, not really what you want to hear, but that's what you're up against. But what was the €12.5k against? €28,495 Ioniq EV plus metallic? But what total cost to change was he talking about for the Ioniq on the road?

Yes in the U.K but we're not in the U.K , I'd say the majority of Leaf 2nd hand buyers don't buy from the U.K.

I think Leaf dealers are taking the P**S. They don't want leafs coming back because they don't want to sell them because they don't make as much money on servicing.

I suppose it could have been worse, I got PCP at the right time so the worst that can happen me next year is that I've no deposit and if the value of it is 8 K next year for instance it won't bother me. I did say here that I went in with my eyes open and wasn't going on PCP expecting a deposit. I do think Nissan dealers are not playing fair.

Why would I pay 12.5 K balloon if the car is worth 10-11 K ? I'd be better off getting a new contract on another car and just going regular finance unless Nissan adjust their GFMV upwards.

They have the GFMV now at 5,500 but the monthly payments are a lot higher so that PCP is non viable, there's no way the car will be worth 5,500 in 3 years so they adjusted it to absolute rock bottom to cover themselves just in case and it's more likely you'll have a significant deposit but you'd be paying a lot more per month so the advantage of PCP on a Leaf today is Nil.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I guess you have to run the numbers on it - but are there not strict conditions that you have to commit to ref. annual mileage and stuff like that? Have there not been issues with GFV levels in the past?

The GFMV is the final payment, if you decide to buy it outright. That is the max you pay. Milage etc. only comes into play if you decide to trade it in. So if you are planning to keep the car anyway, it doesn't matter, all that matters is that you potentially just saved €3000 in interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes in the U.K but we're not in the U.K

No, we are not. But the market here is very much influenced by what is available on the other side of the Irish Sea. You can get a grand, maybe two of "convenience fee" - but that's all you'll get for not being in UK.

• Advertisement

This is the new I30 Estate,

Why can't they make it electric ? just look at that boot !!!

22468508158ad5b5f5150b.jpg?itok=t2yjinao

grogi wrote: »
    No, we are not. But the market here is very much influenced by what is available on the other side of the Irish Sea. You can get a grand, maybe two of "convenience fee" - but that's all you'll get for not being in UK.

Could be dramatically effected once the U.K leave the E.U ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

This is the new I30 Estate,

Why can't they make it electric ? just look at that boot !!!

Looks like a Mazda 5

But look at the Boot ! :D

Could be dramatically effected once the U.K leave the E.U ?.

Could, of course... Do you want to keep it for another three years?

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Could, of course... Do you want to keep it for another three years?

I'd probably keep it until January because I can't loose any more than the GFMV and if it's worth less it's Nissan's problem but they made sure they will not be stung again with a 5,500 GFMV so I got PCP at the right time, good decision.

If I bought on Finance I could face a few K more depreciation.

Yes in the U.K but we're not in the U.K

Well, yes we might as well be in the UK when it comes to importing EVs

There's zero VRT and zero VAT, so it only costs you the flight and the ferry. And we all know in here that the people not interested in doing that themselves are catered for by a few crowds getting the cars in for them. For a fee.

There is superb value in getting a '16 30kWh from the UK because of huge first year depreciation over there. And that's unfortunately what you're up against. Maybe you should hope & pray for a speedy and ultra hard brexit to help you out here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭Soarer

12.5 k offered for my Leaf hahahahahaha lmao
    Why would I pay 12.5 K balloon if the car is worth 10-11 K ?

I don't get your thinking.

On the one hand you think it's hilarious that they only offered you €12,500 for your car.
    But on the other hand, you question why, next year, would you pay €12,500 for a car that's only worth €10-€11k?

If your car is only worth €10k next year, I think €12.5k is a very reasonable trade in this year.

Oh , I'm only guessing, my point being if it's worth less than the GFMV then it;s not my problem as such, at worst , I have no deposit, or rather, no equity in the car.

Based on today's PCP deals and GFMV I would not get a Leaf today on PCP, I'd pay it over 3 years and get the lowest interest loan.

By the way, what are Hyundai offering on PCP for the Ioniq ?

Did you not ask? Did you just ask them how much they'd give you for the Leaf? Not ask what the cost to change was all-in, on the road?

You'll only ever get a good deal from a car dealer if they know you are ready to do the deal, ready to sign / up pay a deposit and if you have a fair idea how far you can push them.

Na they didn't show any interest in selling me the car. I told them I'd be interested if the deal was good.

He said he'll give me a call when another garage gets back to me (gets back to him I meant to say not me) but I expect not to hear from them again.

Unbelievable stuff. Back to 2005 when car salesmen in main dealers were just taking orders. Have they not learnt their lesson?

I have to say my experience with Hyundai dealers was mixed bag. I approached all of them (about 30 or so iirc) with a concise email. About a third or so never replied. Some replied a day or two later (email clearly said I intended to buy that day or the next), several of them rang within the hour and some were keen on the business, straight talking and ready to do me a very good deal. Plenty of old skool wafflers too. Took 9 hours from the first email until I paid the deposit on the car.

Yeah , I did tell them that they didn't seem to interested in selling it that I bet if someone walked in looking at it that they would steer them towards a nice diesel I30 instead, they weren't impressed but I don't really care because I am a potential customer and they need to sell the car.

And I said to the sales man that they don't really want to sell the Ioniq because it's extra work explaining all the tech that they don't have to do with petrol or diesel and here I am knowing all about it , probably the easiest sale they could have and they let me walk right out the door !

Profits must be tight and commission not so much ?

They're certainly no Paul from Barlo Nissan in Kilkenny that's for sure, an exceptional salesman who did his utmost to sell the car, so much that I'd nearly have just bought it to give him the commission for all his work even if not intending to buy it lol !

There's a lot of lazy car sales people , door to door people work so much harder and do longer hours for a **** less money ( most of the time) and a lot of the time have no base salary !

Their base salaries are too high !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Based on today's PCP deals and GFMV I would not get a Leaf today on PCP, I'd pay it over 3 years and get the lowest interest loan.

Well according to the Nissan site, they offer 4% on PCP, 11% Hire Purchase and the best rate you'd get from a bank is 8%

So if you planned on pay over 3 years, I don't see why you wouldn't go PCP, it is clearly the best deal. Just also save the extra each money needed for the final GMFV payment.
    By the way, what are Hyundai offering on PCP for the Ioniq ?

The calculator on their website isn't very clear, but it seems to be 4% too.

• Advertisement

The Idea of PCP is to pay as little PM and as little total for the car over 3 years and with the GFMV today at 5,500 that means that it becomes a cheap HP because you're paying much more per month than you should on PCP but on the Plus you're probably guaranteed several grand more value in the car, Nissan have ensured they won't get stung with mad depreciation but they have taken it way to far.

So basically Nissan have turned their PCP into a HP because you are really paying the majority of the car over the 3 years.

With a GFMV of 5,500 , people are going to be much more tempted to pay the 5,500 to own the car rather than I paying 12,500 for instance, makes me think twice.

I was kind of surprised that Michael Lyng Motors in Carlow didn't ask if I were interested to see their PCP offers.

So basically Nissan have turned their PCP into a HP because you are really paying the majority of the car over the 3 years.

Sure, but it is a really good deal. 4% over the three years, rather then 11% HP or 8% from a bank. On a 30k car loan, you would save €3472 in interest versus their HP and almost €2k versus a bank!

The whole paying less monthly and being able to upgrade after three years was largely a bs marketing trick that should largely be ignored. But it doesn't mean a PCP can't be a good value if you use it in the right way.

Ok, it's good deal if you intend to buy the car, and chances are the car will be worth a lot more. There's now way it will be worth as little as 5,500 K in 3 years , not even at my current 30,000 Kms a year !

The Idea of PCP is to pay as little PM and as little total for the car over 3 years and with the GFMV today at 5,500 that means that it becomes a cheap HP because you're paying much more per month than you should on PCP but on the Plus you're probably guaranteed several grand more value in the car, Nissan have ensured they won't get stung with mad depreciation but they have taken it way to far.

With a GFMV of 5,500 , people are going to be much more tempted to pay the 5,500 to own the car rather than I paying 12,500 for instance, makes me think twice.

What exactly is wrong with conservative approach to borrowing money?

Nothing if your objective is to pay off the whole loan as cheap as possible.

My idea at the time was to pay as little as possible PM because I didn't want to own the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

Sorry to go off topic, but what's the legality of manufacturer selling cars directly to customers here in Ireland? Any issues like some of the US states and car dealer lobbying for exclusive right to sell cars?

My own experience with car dealers (the handful of times I spoke to them, or they chose to speak to me after I wandered around the shops long enough) has not been that impressive. Wouldn't mind having the option to buy online.

positron wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind having the option to buy online.

You wouldn't get a discount though.

What I did is probably the closest you can get to buying online but still being able to negotiate a discount: mass email looking for best price (not discussing anything about the car at all), email and phone conversations same day and doing deal over the phone once you've established who can give you the very best deal, paying deposit over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

positron wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic, but what's the legality of manufacturer selling cars directly to customers here in Ireland? Any issues like some of the US states and car dealer lobbying for exclusive right to sell cars?

My own experience with car dealers (the handful of times I spoke to them, or they chose to speak to me after I wandered around the shops long enough) has not been that impressive. Wouldn't mind having the option to buy online.

It's legal, but many of the systems in place are not setup to deal with it.
    Tesla for example had to register themselves as a SIMI dealer to get access to certain thing like the SEAI grants.

When I got the i3, the purchase was from BMW Ireland directly with the "agent" being the dealer and receiving a fixed fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 EV_Questino

Is it possible it get different colour accents on the white Electric version? Not the biggest fan of the copper colour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement