Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media network expansion

Options
  • 19-01-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

Virgin Media digs in for fibre battle as major network expansion beckons

The under-pressure firm is investing in an extra 200,000 homes to revitalise stalled growth among its TV and broadband customer base in Ireland. Chief executive Tony Hanway spoke to our technology editor

What do you do when your TV subscriber base is sliding and your broadband customer base has plateaued?
    If you're Tony Hanway, you start building again.
    The Virgin Media Ireland boss has been overseeing a major network expansion in Ireland for the past 12 months and is now gearing up for more. When finished, Virgin aims to extend its service to an additional 200,000 new homes and businesses, a 25pc bump on its previous footprint.
    "We cover 50pc of the country at the moment," says Hanway from a low-key office in a north Dublin business park. "I don't see why that shouldn't get to 60pc or 70pc. We'll expand to almost a million homes in the next two years."

Those in satellite towns benefiting from the expansion - places such as Enniscorthy, Gorey and Drogheda - will regard it as a bonus.
    But, in truth, Hanway has to do something. In Ireland, Virgin has lost a third of its TV customers in recent years. This is largely down to competition from new entrants to the TV market, particularly Saorview, Eir, Vodafone and Netflix.

Meanwhile, its broadband business, once peerless and still dominant in the residential areas that Virgin serves, is also showing signs of teetering for the same competitive reasons. Arch-rival Sky has raced to a 7pc market share in just three years, thanks to the strength of its TV business and 'bundling' offers. Eir and Vodafone, meanwhile, are building their own Death Stars of broadband connectivity - fibre-to-the-home services capable of blowing most rivals away, including large chunks of Virgin's cable infrastructure. (The two telecoms firms, however, have said they will avoid direct competition with Virgin on fibre services in the short term.)
    This competition has led to a halt in Virgin's broadband subscriber growth. So now, the entity formerly known as UPC, NTL and Cablelink must figure out a way of returning to growth across its platforms.

In one area, it is seeing progress. According to its most recent accounts, its Irish revenue grew 20pc last year (to around €350m, based on nine-month figures) with more money eked out of each customer.
    Hanway believes that a turning point is at hand.

"We grew last year in revenue terms," he says. "So I'm happy with our financial performance. This business is definitely not going backwards. But we're in a very competitive market. One of the biggest drivers of growth will always be network expansion. We haven't been growing the network aggressively until last year, the same as everyone else. The reason for that was that Ireland was in freefall. There were very few new houses built and businesses weren't expanding. Even still, last year we connected 40,000 homes, which was double the amount of the year before. And next year we go up by 50pc again."
    That would take Virgin within touching distance of a million Irish homes and businesses, a big extension and a substantial statement of intent. It would see the company expand to cover large regional towns as well as outer-lying city 'exurbs' such as the Fingal regions of Balbriggan, Skerries and Lusk.

But that's the limit, he says.
    "At that stage, we'll have reached a logical place where it wouldn't make sense economically to go beyond that. We're never going to be a rural connectivity provider. We can't be that kind of operator with our technology. In any case, the National Broadband Plan is going to address that area and we're not part of it."

Still, he says: "that's still an extra 200,000 homes we'll connect".
    One additional ballast for the company is its recently-acquired status as a mobile operator. It now has over 20,000 mobile customers, the "vast majority" of which are existing Virgin customers taking advantage of bundling offers. That number is still a small fraction of what established mobile operators have (Vodafone and Three have over 3.5 million mobile customers between them). But it gives Virgin a 'quadplay' defence against rival quadplay merchants, Eir and Vodafone. It also gives the company a quadplay offence against Sky, which has no mobile offering.

Nevertheless, Virgin's legacy, from the days of Cablelink and NTL through UPC and its current incarnation as Virgin Media, has always included a strong television offering. In this market, Virgin has felt the effect of fierce competition.
    A quick look at the company's TV subscriber figures is sobering.
    In 2010, the company had 495,000 TV customers in a network footprint of 621,000 homes able to receive its service. By late last year, that had shrunk to 312,000 customers out of 850,000 potential homes. In other words, its TV penetration has fallen from 80pc to 30pc in six years.

In the same period, Sky has increased its TV customer base from 500,000 to 700,000.
    While stark, this hasn't inflicted a terminal wound on the company, partially because it has more than doubled its broadband business over the same period.
    "Look, Sky's core business is TV and ours is broadband," says Hanway. "We have three times more broadband customers than they do. And even when people have changed their TV habits, they're often streaming more and using connectivity on our broadband network. So I wouldn't call us a net loser in any migration."

But 300,000 TV customers is still a substantial base that the company presumably intends to fight for. Is there any end in sight to the haemorrhage in Virgin TV customers?
    "I think so, yes," he says. "Our TV losses are definitely slowing. And I'd like to stem them altogether in 2017."
    To this end, the company is doing a couple of things. On the marketing side, it is embarking on a service-wide rebranding exercise, shepherding a gaggle of products back from sub-brands such as 'Horizon' or 'Bitbuzz' to a centralised Virgin banner.

Other initiatives include a global deal with Netflix to give the online streaming service its own channel within Virgin's TV interface.
    But the most interesting shift may be yet to come. Virgin Media's parent company, Liberty Global, has started to buy up TV companies in a bid to control more of its own programming.
    It appears to have learned a few valuable lessons from Sky, HBO and Netflix, who gain subscribers largely by producing their own exclusive content such as Game Of Thrones, House Of Cards or Premier League football.

"It's no big secret that we've been buying TV stations," said Hanway. "Liberty Global now has a lot of TV assets. It's a general move that platforms and content are seen to be coming together. It's true convergence. Increasingly on our own service in TV3, we have shows that are initiated by us, paid for us and unique to our services."
    A few factors are driving this, he says.
    "The cost of content is escalating wildly. So your choice is whether or not to pay a much higher amount just become a player yourself. Often you find that it might be cheaper to actually commission yourself. And that's the challenge that's facing us and others. Do you keep getting bidded up by 18pc or 20pc per year? At what stage do you think to yourself that you could actually do it yourself and even start driving sales yourself?"

Virgin has already shown that there's a line beyond which it won't go when it comes to meeting others' escalating content costs. It saw Eir pull the Setanta (now Eir Sport) channel from Virgin Media when Hanway refused to pay a higher content fee. The move meant that Virgin TV customers don't get access to certain football and rugby games anymore. It was a bruising PR episode for both companies. But Hanway believes that some of Virgin's TV future lies in commissioning its own content instead of being totally dependent on others'.
    "Look at one of the big successes of last year, Gogglebox," he says. "That was produced by All3Media, which is partially owned by Liberty Global. It was commissioned by us here, localised to an Irish audience and then broadcast to our free-to-air channel with some exclusive elements on Virgin Media. That's a great example of where the ecosystem is coming together.
    "If you think about our staff now, we have 300 people in TV." We already have significant content experience in our group, people with a TV background. So there's an increasing blur between a telco guy and a TV guy. We're now a connected entertainment business, which covers both things. It's not just going to plumb in connectivity, it's also going to provide content as well."

Hanway does not believe that TV is suffering a steep decline at the hands of cord-cutting. "An awful lot of people are writing off TV," he says. "But TV's not dead, it's evolving. People talked about Netflix killing TV and said that there was going to be a huge problem for us. But we've announced a worldwide partnership with Netflix and it's integrated into our system. At a more basic level, people aren't watching less TV. They're just watching it in different ways. Maybe some of it now is on a handset, a tablet or a laptop. But they're still watching TV just as much as they always have - three-to-four hours a day."
    Hanway can be bolstered by the fact that Virgin Media's billionaire Irish-American owner, John Malone, is a long-term investor in his businesses and doesn't quit easily. There looks little chance that Virgin Media is about to shy away from a TV, broadband and mobile business in Ireland. The Irish wing of the company is part of a €3.5bn upgrade investment program across Ireland and the UK.
    Will this mean that Virgin could ultimately become a bidder for sports rights or embark on more ambitious TV series creation in the same way as HBO, Sky or Netflix?
    Whatever happens 2017 will be a fascinating year to watch the company in Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/virgin-media-digs-in-for-fibre-battle-as-major-network-expansion-beckons-35378463.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NB: There've been issues regarding copyright in quoting an entire article. Favorable to quote the meat and link for the rest.

About time. This is the first time they've really had competition since moving from 30 to 50Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

[tinfoil hat] I found it interesting to hear a while back they were now providing Netflix on their boxes after only months previously causing so much trouble with Netflix streams over their broadband. It's almost like hey guys, you might lose lots of customers if this continues, why not jump on board with us.[/tinfoil hat]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Love to see the upload speed increased if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Was with Chorus/upc for 15 years, loved the service as never had problem. As previously stated I moved to new house up the road which was separated by 10 metres of grass from fully serviced area in fully serviced town. 20 from 22 houses had been customers before move and wanted to continue. About €40k worth of business a year, that would have been stable as at end of fibre line. So currently they decided they didn't want €200k worth of business over the last few years.
    But hey they might arrive at the same time as SIRO and Eir. Cmon

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tv221 wrote: »
    Was with Chorus/upc for 15 years, loved the service as never had problem. As previously stated I moved to new house up the road which was separated by 10 metres of grass from fully serviced area in fully serviced town. 20 from 22 houses had been customers before move and wanted to continue. About €40k worth of business a year, that would have been stable as at end of fibre line. So currently they decided they didn't want €200k worth of business over the last few years.

A lot of cases like yours have an access refusal by a neigbour to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

tv221 wrote: »
    They were in my estate 8 months ago pulling rope through ducts. I was told it would be available in 6 weeks. The rope is actually pulled into the box on the side of my house, but not a sign of them since.

But all of the operators seem to work in mysterious ways when it comes to rollout scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

They were doing some work in Gorey, also i saw article in one of the Gorey newspapers about expansion few months ago. Also they will be available in Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

domeld wrote: »
    They were doing some work in Gorey, also i saw article in one of the Gorey newspapers about expansion few months ago. Also they will be available in Wexford.

Dundalk also later this year.

http://talkofthetown.ie/virgin-media-coming-to-dundalk-later-this-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Aw man, would love to see VM in Skerries!

quad_red wrote: »
    Aw man, would love to see VM in Skerries!
    Read the article in the first post. Skerries is in their plans.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    Read the article in the first post. Skerries is in their plans.

I know! Sorry if my post was unclear. I meant that I was looking forward to it.

Maybe I'll once again have the broadband speeds I enjoyed in 2004 in the city centre. 13 years later and still waiting....

quad_red wrote: »
    I know! Sorry if my post was unclear. I meant that I was looking forward to it.

Maybe I'll once again have the broadband speeds I enjoyed in 2004 in the city centre. 13 years later and still waiting....
    In my case, VM are already in the apartment blocks in the estate, and TV ducts were put in to every house in the estate, but not used. So, I'd say easy expansions like mine would be their first move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I got a Virgin Flyer in yesterday talking about "free installation of the rich speed fiber optic cable for broadband, tv and phone to your home" I missed the guy but he left an actavo business card. "Cable" was never available in my estate. I'm cautiously optimistic :)

Who's ducting are they putting this through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Losing so much TV customers because their TV service is sub-par and has always been as far as I can remember. Their first digital boxes were rubbish to use compared to Sky Digital, their PVR's were rubbish to use compared to Sky + and Horizon was/is a turd that no amount of re-branding will fix. Throw in the fiasco of losing channels like BT/Setanta too. They'll continue to lose customers until they sort it with easy to use software on reliable hardware.

If Virgin get it right with next TV box they could recover some ground from Sky, as Sky Q seems to be very temperamental and not easy to use compared to Sky's previous efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

Praetorian wrote: »
    I got a Virgin Flyer in yesterday talking about "free installation of the rich speed fiber optic cable for broadband, tv and phone to your home" I missed the guy but he left an actavo business card. "Cable" was never available in my estate. I'm cautiously optimistic :)

Do you have siro?

My estate was built between 2002 and 2004. I assumed TV ducts were standard for new estates. It's a good question. Is OpenEir entitled to use the ducts in my estate as well as VM? Anyone?

I got a Virgin Flyer in yesterday
    I hope they are not obeying my 'No Junk Mail' sign.

Danny Boy wrote: »
    Do you have siro?

No I have Vodafone, vdsl, lucky enough to have the full 100mbit.

It would be great to be able to get the standard top end 360 x 36 mbit Virgin package, but if they are doing a pure fiber connection perhaps they will offer even higher end packages. I'll report back on here as soon as I get in contact with actavo / virgin rep.

So it will be cables hung along the fascia of the houses in my estate, installation around the end of the quarter.

Now that they don't have MMDS as a fallback, they pretty much have to expand their cable rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Lfcfan2017

Any sign of it being available in Monasterevin any time soon?

So it will be cables hung along the fascia of the houses in my estate, installation around the end of the quarter.

Hi Praetorian, how do you know this?

And where are you based (if you don't mind me asking).

I live in Balbriggan. The rep attached his actavo business card to the back of the Virgin flyer. So I asked him. He's friendly and helpful and answered my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

domeld wrote: »

Do you have any link or further info on this? I'm curious to see any sort of competition to Eirs network here in Gorey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Does Mr. Hanway not realize that the VM tv service is dreadful? He must have his head in the sand.

The horizon service and media box was/is complete garbage.

They cannot compete with Sky and were forced to offer Netflix as a bundle only because they are losing so many TV customers.

And their new TV box being released soon. Mother of jaysus... :rolleyes:

Virgin Media plans 120 new jobs in Limerick
    Company will also expand its broadband offering in mid-west region

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/virgin-media-plans-120-new-jobs-in-limerick-1.2962285

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

would be nice if they resold Eir's FTTH with cheaper price and improved fair usage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

Gonzo wrote: »
    would be nice if they resold Eir's FTTH with cheaper price and improved fair usage policy.

What is Eir's FUP now ? 300mb still ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I hope you mean 300GB. :D
    satguy wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

satguy wrote: »
    I hope you mean 300GB. :D

And 300GB was the Vodafone limit (I think it's been increased since) - eir have a 1TB limit.

Advertisement