Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media network expansion

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

CoBo55 wrote: »
    There's no user in a home setup that can get higher than a gig download. I'm on the 360 and many users in the house, phones, sky boxes, smart TVs etc and never had any problems. Having no cap is more important in my house.

So 2 users maxing out their devices would hit the limit.

What happens then if there are 5 users?

Certainly such use would not be constant, but that is hardly a reason not to have a network capable of providing such service.
    its HFC network reached 2.2 Gbps in a real-world trial

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭CoBo55

So 2 users maxing out their devices would hit the limit.

What happens then if there are 5 users?

Certainly such use would not be constant, but that is hardly a reason not to have a network capable of providing such service.

Wha? I've often had in excess of 15 devices on the network, watching netflix,sky go, downloading torrents, Playstation etc etc, never ever once had even so much as a stutter. The point I'm making is that there is no device available for the ordinary consumer that has the ability to download at over a Gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Wha? I've often had in excess of 15 devices on the network, watching netflix,sky go, downloading torrents, Playstation etc etc, never ever once had even so much as a stutter. The point I'm making is that there is no device available for the ordinary consumer that has the ability to download at over a Gig.

Not quite true, but there is surely very few, so not really disagreeing with that.

But if one person can max out a 1 Gb/s connection what do you think multiple people can do? Hit the limit?
    Originally Posted by CoBo55 
    There's nothing in the ordinary household that can handle those speeds, it would take serious investment in hardware to use it to its potential. How much speed does anyone need?

I only pointed out that multiple (1 Gb/s capable) users in a household are quite capable of maxing out a 2.2Gb/s connection.
    For some reason you seem to disagree with or not understand that point.

Users needs are rising all the time, and by the time 2.2 Gb/s is deployed it is likely to be as well used as 1 Gb/s is presently.

The faster the capabilities of the service provider the better chance they have of competing for customers into the future.
    5 Gb/s and 10 Gb/s are also being trialled.
    Prepare for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I'm curious how in every day life multiple people will actually max out a connection at the same time for a prolonged period of time? Just because the device is capable, doesn't make it a reality worth paying more to avoid... As I write this I'm downloading roughly 10GB of container images that a colleague has left me on dropbox. My laptop is speedtesting at around 450Mbs but from dropbox I'm getting max 140Mbs. My connection is not the limiting factor. Transferring to/from AWS is the same and doesn't max the connection. All the kids game downloads, ios updates, PS4 updates etc rarely max the connection. Most consumer services just dont deliver consistently at 500Mbs/1Gbs speeds to individuals regardless of our connection capability. Of course this will improve over time but it'll be a long time, but my 10GB file download has finished long before I finished writing this :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not quite true, but there is surely very few, so not really disagreeing with that.

But if one person can max out a 1 Gb/s connection what do you think multiple people can do? Hit the limit?

I only pointed out that multiple (1 Gb/s capable) users in a household are quite capable of maxing out a 2.2Gb/s connection.
    For some reason you seem to disagree with or not understand that point.

Users needs are rising all the time, and by the time 2.2 Gb/s is deployed it is likely to be as well used as 1 Gb/s is presently.

The faster the capabilities of the service provider the better chance they have of competing for customers into the future.
    5 Gb/s and 10 Gb/s are also being trialled.
    Prepare for the future!

At some point Eir are going to have upgrade from Gpon with the rural network and Siro with their network as both networks have already maxed out the download speeds a customer can get. Eir's Urban rollout and the NBI rollout are capable of 10 Gb/s from day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoundCube

There's nothing in the ordinary household that can handle those speeds, it would take serious investment in hardware to use it to its potential. How much speed does anyone need?

Well, I've paid around €3K just for my network equipment (ubiquiti, 10 gigabit backbone, 2/4 gigabit aggregated links, mixed 2.5/1 gbit client connections) Yes, I need it. Nope, gigabit WAN is not really enough. Yes, I use that for work.

There's no user in a home setup that can get higher than a gig download. I'm on the 360 and many users in the house, phones, sky boxes, smart TVs etc and never had any problems. Having no cap is more important in my house.

Come on, many motherboards have 2x2.5 gbit ports in our days. You may aggregate them and have 5gbit of throughput for just one client. And in many cases it's possible to saturate such channel.

RoundCube wrote: »
    Well, I've paid around €3K just for my network equipment (ubiquiti, 10 gigabit backbone, 2/4 gigabit aggregated links, mixed 2.5/1 gbit client connections) Yes, I need it. Nope, gigabit WAN is not really enough. Yes, I use that for work.

Wave wave wave, aren't you a grand fella...

Wave wave wave, aren't you a grand fella...

I'm saying that there may be a need for the throughput at an ordinary household in case someone there works from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Woke up this morning to power outage and when looked outside say SIRO vans everywhere.

I’ve been with Virgin since they were ntl. First time in probably going to consider a change.

Siro offers of 25 euro a month ? Hard to say no too. Father has it now nearly two years and he also made the change from virgin said he couldn’t go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RoundCube wrote: »
    I'm saying that there may be a need for the throughput at an ordinary household in case someone there works from home.

That's inherently an outlier and clearly not an ordinary household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ireland = Eastern Europe? :p
    In May 2018, Liberty Global announced the sale of its operations in Germany, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic to Vodafone for €19 billion ($22.7 billion).[41] The sale closed for $21.3 billion in July 2019.[42] In December 2018, Liberty Global announced the sale of its DTH satellite TV operations in Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania to M7 Group.[43]

Nice summary from wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

so, wait... VM UK + O2 is sperate, and VM in eastern europe is now owned by vodafone... who owns VM ireland?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

lotas wrote: »
    so, wait... VM UK + O2 is sperate, and VM in eastern europe is now owned by vodafone... who owns VM ireland?!

Liberty Global for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭EarWig

Fibre Rollout Increases Capex: At March-2022 VMI had rolled out fibre to the premises (FTTP) to over 40,000 locations but will need to accelerate to around 80,000 premises per quarter to reach its target of one million by 2024. We have thus assumed increased capex toward 30% of revenue by 2023 from around 16% in 2021. The cost of rolling out FTTP is likely to be more expensive than upgrading the existing network to DOCSIS 4.0 but should bring better opportunities for wholesale-access revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

How are Virgin Media providing service in new estates now? Is it still HFC?

Ftth to box similar in size to what eir and siro use on the outside of the house, a coax cable comes from that to the VM modem.

Advertisement