Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media network expansion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

I hope you mean 300GB. :D

Yes,, me and my fat fingers..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KOR101 wrote: »
    Virgin Media plans 120 new jobs in Limerick
    Company will also expand its broadband offering in mid-west region

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/virgin-media-plans-120-new-jobs-in-limerick-1.2962285

Did they publish any specifics on where the expansion in the mid west would be?
    satguy wrote: »
    Yes,, me and my fat fingers..

They must be some fingers if they can hit g instead of m ;)

marno21 wrote: »
    Did they publish any specifics on where the expansion in the mid west would be?

They must be some fingers if they can hit g instead of m ;)
    Could they be bringing CS back from the Philippines?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Another thread mentions their rollout in various parts of Drogheda. Expanding their reach in Balbriggan was also reported I think.

It seems to be fairly comprehensive as they're doing it the hard way with all-underground access.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

domeld wrote: »
    They were doing some work in Gorey, also i saw article in one of the Gorey newspapers about expansion few months ago. Also they will be available in Wexford.
    Do you have any link or further info on this? I'm curious to see any sort of competition to Eirs network here in Gorey.

I've noticed a couple of men in VM Hi-Vis around Wexford Town - both on the Main St and up near Clonard Church.

Late to the party in Wexford as both OpenEir and Siro have FTTH up and running through large parts of the town. Will be interesting to see if they make much of an impression.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've noticed a couple of men in VM Hi-Vis around Wexford Town - both on the Main St and up near Clonard Church.

Late to the party in Wexford as both OpenEir and Siro have FTTH up and running through large parts of the town. Will be interesting to see if they make much of an impression.

it most likely will as Virgin Media is significantly cheaper than the FTTH providers and still more speed than most people need.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And they can also use their TV service as a bargaining tool. Especially with the Sky isuses recently.

And they can also use their TV service as a bargaining tool. Especially with the Sky isuses recently.

I've found Yellowbellies to be remarkably resistant to the concept of pay tv. I'm a blow-in from a town that always had cable and the concept of paying for the service. Here in Wexford they could get Welsh spillover and, to my eyes anyway, plenty of people resent having to stump for the service as a result. :D

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Gonzo wrote: »
    it most likely will as Virgin Media is significantly cheaper than the FTTH providers and still more speed than most people need.

Is it though? €55/pm for 240Mb or €60/pm for 360Mb? I think the 350Mb FTTH product with Vodafone is €55/pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I've found Yellowbellies to be remarkably resistant to the concept of pay tv. I'm a blow-in from a town that always had cable and the concept of paying for the service. Here in Wexford they could get Welsh spillover and, to my eyes anyway, plenty of people resent having to stump for the service as a result. :D

Time will tell.

Exactly. If I could get freeview I wouldn't pay either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

jca wrote: »
    Exactly. If I could get freeview I wouldn't pay either.

That's why Sky and Virgin do so well in Ireland. With FreeView offering over 40 channels throughout the UK they are well served by free to air quality television. Sadly Saorview is very barren and a massive disappointment with only RTE, TV3 and TG4 which is extremely limiting to say the least.

There is free to air satellite but not everyone can stick up a satellite dish if they are renting or live in an apartment.

digiman wrote: »
    Is it though? €55/pm for 240Mb or €60/pm for 360Mb? I think the 350Mb FTTH product with Vodafone is €55/pm

just checked and Vodafone's 350meg offering is 55 euros, however this is only available in very select areas.

For 55 euros Eir customers can get 150meg broadband only FTTH, but you wouldn't go for this if Virgin is in same area offering higher speeds for a similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Gonzo wrote: »
    just checked and Vodafone's 350meg offering is 55 euros, however this is only available in very select areas.

For 55 euros Eir customers can get 150meg broadband only FTTH, but you wouldn't go for this if Virgin is in same area offering higher speeds for a similar price.

I might, because Eir's peering is better and you get native IPv4. Plus I wouldn't notice the difference between 150M and 360M.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

Hi,

KN on behalf of Virgin Media is putting cables in Gorey.
    I must say im impressed with speed.
    As far as i know they done 2 estates (i think main cable only). I received letter saying that they will be digging shortly on my estate.

Extensive work going on in the Clonard area of Wexford on this, several estates being worked on at the same time.

Does anybody know if these new builds are fully fibre or are the copying the fibre/co-ax hybrid network they have in older areas?

HFC surely. I've only ever seen pure fibre in some business deployments.

Extensive work going on in the Clonard area of Wexford on this, several estates being worked on at the same time.

Does anybody know if these new builds are fully fibre or are the copying the fibre/co-ax hybrid network they have in older areas?

I'm on a new build here in Enniscorthy and it's fibre to the new cabinet at the entrance to my estate and co-ax from there to the house. I'm lucky as the amplifier is right outside my front door, the install guy had to put a reducer on my connector in the house as the signal was too strong. It has been 110% reliable with fantastic speeds especially on a wired connection. It takes longer to copy films etc to a usb key than it does to download them:D I kid you not..

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

I'm on a new build here in Enniscorthy and it's fibre to the new cabinet at the entrance to my estate and co-ax from there to the house. I'm lucky as the amplifier is right outside my front door, the install guy had to put a reducer on my connector in the house as the signal was too strong. It has been 110% reliable with fantastic speeds especially on a wired connection. It takes longer to copy films etc to a usb key than it does to download them:D I kid you not..

How long took them to go live after duct was installed etc?
    Is still possible to get ipv4 ip address from them and bridge their modem?

domeld wrote: »
    How long took them to go live after duct was installed etc?
    Is still possible to get ipv4 ip address from them and bridge their modem?

Where I live the old underground system was still in place so it didn't take them long to rewire the estate, less than a week. As soon as they left all services were available on the VM address checker. I'm on a bridged modem at the moment, I contacted VM through here and they moved me to ipv4 and disabled horizon free WiFi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

I lived in Cork city for a few years, and all my neighbors had Virgin media connections - except myself.

Next door neighbor refused a cable to go on their roof into our terrace. The following month, Eircom launched FTTC and got 70MBPS. Haven't needed more since.

I did think eircom has really killed off Liberty from expanding as eircom clearly has the economy of scale to rollout faster, and now with the FTTC on board too.

I am surprised they are expanding their network, but maybe they had to as most people don't need their 360 network and were loosing customers to the likes of SKY with their bundles, now that those bundles come with fibre broadband.

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »
    I am surprised they are expanding their network, but maybe they had to as most people don't need their 360 network and were loosing customers to the likes of SKY with their bundles, now that those bundles come with fibre broadband.
    Another reason why they had to expand the cable rollout is that they don't have MMDS as a fallback anymore. While it couldn't carry broadband, it did provide basic TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Karsini wrote: »
    HFC surely. I've only ever seen pure fibre in some business deployments.

There's a good few towns planned for FTTH builds this year. As mentioned above, they've already started in Gorey.

There's a good few towns planned for FTTH builds this year. As mentioned above, they've already started in Gorey.

VM aren't doing FTTH, it's Fibre to their cabinet and co-ax to the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

VM aren't doing FTTH, it's Fibre to their cabinet and co-ax to the premises.

They are starting to do it. Enniscorthy got the standard HFC network. Gorey and others will be FTTH.

They are starting to do it. Enniscorthy got the standard HFC network. Gorey and others will be FTTH.
    How would they offer TV on a FTTH network? I don't think they have any IPTV backend.

What's the advantage for Virgin to rollout FTTH in Gorey if eir and SIRO are doing it too? Would it not be better for them to rollout HFC and have triple play or else just piggyback on one of the other networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Karsini wrote: »
    How would they offer TV on a FTTH network? I don't think they have any IPTV backend.

Horizon/Go lay the foundations for it. They can reuse their continental systems infrastructure so its no big pain for them to setup the CDN.
    What's the advantage for Virgin to rollout FTTH in Gorey if eir and SIRO are doing it too? Would it not be better for them to rollout HFC and have triple play or else just piggyback on one of the other networks?

LG/Cello/UPC work end to end in all the markets I know of (for fixed, not cellular). OTT providers work on crappy crappy margins, they've no interest in that.

ED E wrote: »
    Horizon/Go lay the foundations for it. They can reuse their continental systems infrastructure so its no big pain for them to setup the CDN.

LG/Cello/UPC work end to end in all the markets I know of (for fixed, not cellular). OTT providers work on crappy crappy margins, they've no interest in that.

So, are VM doing FTTH or not? I've been all over their site and it's fibre this and fibre that but on closer investigation it's their coax system they're talking about.

Why would they rewire the whole town with coax( which they did in fairness) rather than fibre? Disregarding the fibre wording that all isp's are using have you any evidence of this vm ftth rollout? Is it anywhere else?

• Advertisement

Advertisement