Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media network expansion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

No, they will chop off 10/15 euro for 6m on loyalty call.

Ok thanks.

So am I right in thinking the EPC3925 can still do the 500mb and I don't have to "upgrade" to their box? If its still DOCSIS 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bubonic wrote: »
    Ok thanks.

So am I right in thinking the EPC3925 can still do the 500mb and I don't have to "upgrade" to their box? If its still DOCSIS 3.0

Nah, it maxes out around 400Mb. 360 can work on it but 500 cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

“We’re still on target to reach 1m homes and we were tracking up to 930,000 by the end of Q1, so full steam ahead,” Farrell said. “We have received great support around the country, particularly with the county councils where we made progress. There [are] still some challenges with some county councils in terms of access and charging, so we need to work more closely with those councils to explain the benefit we are bringing and why the new technologies are less disruptive and more efficient.”

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/virgin-500mbps-broadband

Mr Farrell said that Virgin’s broadband network currently reaches 930,000 premises around the country. He said that the company would build out between 20,000 and 30,000 premises to the network’s reach area this year. He also said that it expects to add a similar amount in coming years, but that it would largely follow new-build housing plans in urban or semi-urban areas.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/virgin-media-ireland-promises-new-tv-box-and-faster-wifi-speeds-38110177.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

They passed the place im living now but prices are still horrendous unless introductory offers im on a VDSL product €39 a month and lucky to get the full 100/20 because of this and Free to Air for TV

• Advertisement

Just a brief mention in a longer article, but it did surprise me.

The industry is experimenting. Virgin Media, which said infrastructure construction can be “lengthy and complex”, has rarely strayed into the countryside with its cable network. But it has quietly connected 12 homes in Greenham in Berkshire to a gigabit service. The town has become a test bed for high-capacity wireless technology that could reduce the cost of connecting rural areas by 90 per cent and make more rural areas viable to connect. [/I]

https://www.ft.com/content/32f013fc-91e1-11e9-aea1-2b1d33ac3271

What in tarnation are they at...

ED E wrote: »
    What in tarnation are they at...

MMDS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Don’t see anything wrong with it, makes a lot of sense really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Interesting ..... a 10Gb/s wireless trunk ..... if this works as well as they hope it could have implications for a lot of areas.

Ahh, the first snippet sounded like FWA last mile. Its not that, its just cheapening out on the core. Sounds like GPON from the service unit to premises.

Interesting ..... a 10Gb/s wireless trunk ..... if this works as well as they hope it could have implications for a lot of areas.

They're not cheap though. Arranmore is serviced by a similar link IIRC.

Virgin Media Ireland, which is owned by Liberty Global, said its total service subscriptions reached 1.1 million, and the company and a further 19,000 homes and businesses to the Virgin Media network. That brings the total premises passed to 941,400, up from 929,800 at the end of the first quarter.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/virgin-media-ireland-revenue-rises-3-5-in-first-half-of-2019-1.3980468

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So they passed 941400 premises. But they have 1.1M subs ?

Unless they have premises with lots of multiple entities in them, that doesn't quite add up.

Also .. it would assume 100% take up, which is highly unlikely.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Everytime I get notified of this thread I hope for news of upload speed increases

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Marlow wrote: »

Unless they have premises with lots of multiple entities in them, that doesn't quite add up

A house with broadband, TV and telephone is regarded as having 3 subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Unless they have premises with lots of multiple entities in them, that doesn't quite add up.

Also .. it would assume 100% take up, which is highly unlikely.

/M
    Revenue generating units - so someone with Digital TV, Broadband, Home Phone and 2 x Mobile SIMs is counted as 5 subscriptions.

EDIT: Beaten to it by TheCush :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

/M

Mobile phone customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 trapper1

Actavo are laying a fibre on the road outside my home in limerick at the moment on behalf of VM. How do i go about getting a connection to it? The VM website says its not available in my area.
    Also I am 80m back from the road will i have to lay a cable for them up to the road?

• Advertisement

Virgin Media is understood to be considering a strategic alliance with broadband provider Siro that would see it sell TV and broadband bundles to customers in regional towns.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...reas-1.4031691

KOR101 wrote: »
    Virgin Media is understood to be considering a strategic alliance with broadband provider Siro that would see it sell TV and broadband bundles to customers in regional towns.

Makes sense the current IPTV offerings are poor IMO.
    With the new set top box they are releasing it may just be worth it over having a seperate sky subscription for alot of people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will certainly be competition for Eir, it might rattle their feathers just a little. For Siro customers it most likely will also be the first Siro reseller to offer cap free FTTH in areas that aren't covered by Airwire Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Makes sense the current IPTV offerings are poor IMO.
    With the new set top box they are releasing it may just be worth it over having a seperate sky subscription for alot of people.

Are they actually going to provide the V6 here in Ireland, it's been coming soon for years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Siro should be available to me when my contract ends with VM, looks like my plans to use siro as a haggling tool are scuppered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

trapper1 wrote: »
    Actavo are laying a fibre on the road outside my home in limerick at the moment on behalf of VM. How do i go about getting a connection to it? The VM website says its not available in my area.
    Also I am 80m back from the road will i have to lay a cable for them up to the road?

Depends what they are laying it for. Could be backhaul too. Otherwise they need to roll out their network in the area. They won't just do one off connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

average download speed of 1106mb/s.... no mention of the max, plus, given most people will be on 1gb wired (or even wireless) how do you get 1106? MultiGig connections? 10Gb/s hand off?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lotas wrote: »
    average download speed of 1106mb/s.... no mention of the max, plus, given most people will be on 1gb wired (or even wireless) how do you get 1106? MultiGig connections? 10Gb/s hand off?

seems like they dont have the limit that GPON FTTH has, so on speedtests the customer should see 1000meg, as long as their hardware can support such speeds. Wonder what the upload is with it. Most likey they will launch that plan here too over the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

lotas wrote: »
    Might be across two (or more) devices but not a single device.

Advertisement