Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks again.

Thing is, I get the VAT back and it would be a business expense for me. Hence my desire to shop local.

Will keep an eye out.

D.

Amazon do VAT invoices- and are an Irish registered company for tax purposes. Its as straight forward to claim back the VAT on purchases from them- as it is Argos/Harvey Norma etc- only you have a much wider variety of products, at competitive prices.

I'd strongly steer people away from Harvey Norman at all costs- and I'd also say to you- if you can business expense the purchase- buy something proper- there is no need to chase budget basement antique kit........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Amazon do VAT invoices- and are an Irish registered company for tax purposes. Its as straight forward to claim back the VAT on purchases from them- as it is Argos/Harvey Norma etc- only you have a much wider variety of products, at competitive prices.

I'd strongly steer people away from Harvey Norman at all costs- and I'd also say to you- if you can business expense the purchase- buy something proper- there is no need to chase budget basement antique kit........

Thanks again. Didn't know Amazon do VAT invoices.

Could you post links to a couple I might consider?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Any thoughts on this router?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dinarius wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this router?

Thanks.

D.

Top rate unit, return on investment drops significantly when you go over the €100-120 mark but if you want to go all it its a great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I recently moved from the Horizon box for my wifi to a new white router that Virgin delivered. Since this happened the internet connection on my phone has been incredibly slow - often timing out before pages upload. When I switch back to 4G it's fine and it's only on my phone that it's an issue - laptop and Mac are fine. My wife's iphone is also fine.

I have a HTC One M8.

Has anyone else had this issue? And has anyone got any solutions? I'm not a techie so pleb-talk would be appreciated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

I recently moved from the Horizon box for my wifi to a new white router that Virgin delivered. Since this happened the internet connection on my phone has been incredibly slow - often timing out before pages upload. When I switch back to 4G it's fine and it's only on my phone that it's an issue - laptop and Mac are fine. My wife's iphone is also fine.

I have a HTC One M8.

Has anyone else had this issue? And has anyone got any solutions? I'm not a techie so pleb-talk would be appreciated ;)
    Are you connected on 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Try changing the wifi channel to the least crowded channel.

degsie wrote: »
    Are you connected on 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Try changing the wifi channel to the least crowded channel.

I'm on 2.4 on my phone. How would I go about changing?

It seems to be an Android issue. My sister's Samsung has the same issue but iPhone users don't.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Folks I have 360 VM BB and the Hub 3.0

Last night I had high ping and downloads via wifi were down to 3mb

Did a couple of router resets and turned it off this morning for awhile.

it's not fully right again but speeds on my phone via wifi are back up to 70mb (normally they're about 100mb).

Ping at 10ms

However, my sonos system can't be found, none of my wemo sockets can't be found, and I can't connect to my Hue bridge.

Also I can login to the Hub via my mobile phone browser but it won't load on the laptop just get "this site can't be reached"

Netflix on tv, connected via ethernet is working no problem.

Any ideas as to what is going on? it's driving me nuts

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked to see if you are DS-Lite?

http://test-ipv6.com/

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you checked to see if you are DS-Lite?

http://test-ipv6.com/

I get this so I assume I have IPv6 everything worked grand up to now!!!

Since you have IPv6, we are including a tab that shows how well you can reach other IPv6 sites. [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites

Uriel. wrote: »
    I get this so I assume I have IPv6 everything worked grand up to now!!!

Since you have IPv6, we are including a tab that shows how well you can reach other IPv6 sites. [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites

DS-lite can cause lots of problems so your best bet it to visit the VM forum and ask the reps there to change you back to an ipv4 address.

DS-lite can cause lots of problems so your best bet it to visit the VM forum and ask the reps there to change you back to an ipv4 address.

great cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I couldn't see how being on an ipv6 address can stop his internal network working.

I have a HTC One M8.

BUMP 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Hi guys,
    I have been on UPC/Virgin for 19 months in my current house. Current setup if the UPC horizon box + a Technicolour router. The reason for the router is the box wasn't cutting it. Still at this stage i get very slow to almost no wifi in my kitchen 10 yards from wifi router.
    My issue is still in main room where the router is, I use an early 2015 Macbook pro with plenty of punch.
    Last few days I got a couple of total wifi loss, which i fixed by rebooting the router. But what bothers me is yesterday a speedtest over wifi 3 meters away from router was giving me 7 megs download.
    A few meters ago i did wifi/wired test seating less than 1 meter away from the router: results are 81down/24up over wifi and 237down/24up via wired connection (same macbook).
    I understand we can lose some speed over wifi but such a big chunk?? 160megs less! Is that normal?

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have been on UPC/Virgin for 19 months in my current house. Current setup if the UPC horizon box + a Technicolour router. The reason for the router is the box wasn't cutting it. Still at this stage i get very slow to almost no wifi in my kitchen 10 yards from wifi router.
    My issue is still in main room where the router is, I use an early 2015 Macbook pro with plenty of punch.
    Last few days I got a couple of total wifi loss, which i fixed by rebooting the router. But what bothers me is yesterday a speedtest over wifi 3 meters away from router was giving me 7 megs download.
    A few meters ago i did wifi/wired test seating less than 1 meter away from the router: results are 81down/24up over wifi and 237down/24up via wired connection (same macbook).
    I understand we can lose some speed over wifi but such a big chunk?? 160megs less! Is that normal?

The whole point of this thread I think..

jca wrote: »
    The whole point of this thread I think..

Thread is 45 pages long so sorry but i read the posts from 2017 only (not sure how relevant speeds or experiences of 2011 would be today). Fact that the speed drops is a fact i understand but I am questioning the immense gap.

Common misunderstanding. Its not a proportional loss. Its not 8 becomes 6 and 80 becomes 60.

If you had 1G you'd see a fall of 920Mb but it will still be correct. 80Mb is a good result for wifi. If you actually need more on your laptop you can try and get a Hub3.0 from Virgin or buy your own router.

ED E wrote: »
    Common misunderstanding. Its not a proportional loss. Its not 8 becomes 6 and 80 becomes 60.

If you had 1G you'd see a fall of 920Mb but it will still be correct. 80Mb is a good result for wifi. If you actually need more on your laptop you can try and get a Hub3.0 from Virgin or buy your own router.

Thanks, is that Hub 3.0 any good?

• Advertisement

Thread is 45 pages long so sorry but i read the posts from 2017 only (not sure how relevant speeds or experiences of 2011 would be today). Fact that the speed drops is a fact i understand but I am questioning the immense gap.

The first post has been amended to include the present day 360 meg service, almost everything else, as is the norm on boards, is largely waffle. Follow the instructions in the first post and you'll be enjoying top notch WiFi speeds.

Hi guys,

How often do you restart the macbook pro? I have seen several cases with macbooks where the wifi performance deteriorates if they are not restarted regularly.

How often do you restart the macbook pro? I have seen several cases with macbooks where the wifi performance deteriorates if they are not restarted regularly.

twice a day, as i take it to work and then bring it back home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

after 6+ years my WAN I.P changed today.

Anyone else's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

after 6+ years my WAN I.P changed today.

Anyone else's?

Are you still on IP4?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Are you still on IP4?

Yea..first thing i checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Hey guys, need to switch back to my 3925 from the latest hub 3.0.

Have plugged it in but she's not connecting up to upc. Is there some router settings I need to adjust?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Is that Virgin's new modem? It is going to have a different MAC address and so you can't switch back as their systems will not have your old address registered. Not 100% on that so maybe someone else can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Yes, you were right. They needed the CM MAC address on the old box. Said it would start working within 24 hours. Also yes, the hub 3.0 is the latest Virgin modem afaik (received mine january 2017).

Need the old 3925 for static IP address, plan is to run pi-hole off a pi zero.

• Advertisement

Wait, their OSS doesnt support statics for SMBs on the Compal? Oh Virgin.

Advertisement