Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chalk marks outside home indicate marked for theft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ScumLord wrote: »
    It makes no sense to put in the work of finding an easy mark then advertising it to the world.
    +1, it would be similar to tesco building up a database of a customer's preferences using their clubcard info, investigating all their spending habits etc, and then just freely sharing this info with dunnes stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

I see this ridiculously stupid story is doing the rounds again.

Indo is so short of journslists they seem to have dim-witted interns rehashing and sensationalising stories that crop up every couple of years in countries all over the world.

Quite obvious that burglars don't use phones/email if their only means of communication is chalk in a country where it rains more days than it doesn't.

How on earth are people so gullible?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Delacent wrote: »
    I see this ridiculously stupid story is doing the rounds again.

Indo is so short of journslists they seem to have dim-witted interns rehashing and sensationalising stories that crop up every couple of years in countries all over the world.

Quite obvious that burglars don't use phones/email if their only means of communication is chalk in a country where it rains more days than it doesn't.

How on earth are people so gullible?
    There are a few indo interns who's job is to leave listen to liveline and come up with a couple of stories each day ...click me, click me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I put the "nothing worth stealing one" outside my gaf.

And a huge X outside my cnuty neighbours.

article-0-1BA21509000005DC-758_634x529.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Go with the chalk outline of a body and a few rolls of those GARDA DO NOT CROSS tapes and you have nothing to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Everyone should start chaking the houses with the 0x mark, burglary solved, actually the goverment should issue all houses with chalk sticks, We can put them beside the nuclear tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

It's not real folks. It's fake news. It's phoney stuff.

Make America great again

• Registered Users Posts: 81,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

De criminals would have smart phones to log places of interest and share in a WhatsApp group, the days of the chalk and markings are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

This reminds me of the legend ye'll find on every horse forum in england:

Horses mane gets matted and forms like dreadlocks. Cue every serious and ruddy faced little girl on there passing dire warnings that the OP is being targeted by Gypsys!!! :eek:

Yes! It seems these dastardly rascals creep into a meadow, at night. There they choose the horse they want to steal. And they spend some quality time plaiting its mane.

This is so that, when they come back on a following night to complete their mission and chore the grai, they can tell by the mane which one it is they want!

Seriously. I've seen this several times, repeated on various horsey fora.

Yeah. Just read again what they do. Let it sink in. And there is absolutely No dissuading these people that they are speaking the gods honest truth. Bit like the urban myth that this thread started with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

One thing nobody seems to question about all this bullsh1t chalk marking hysteria is what are you gonna do if you find one of these markings outside your house?
    Sit there night and day waiting for them? People should be vigilant and take the proper security measures regardless of any chalk markings.

2 years ago my alarm went off at 6:30am in the morning, ran downstairs guns blazing, nothing
    Checked cctv, nothing
    Next day at 6:30am alarm went off again
    I thought my alarm was faulty, and didn't really sleep well cos I was half expecting it to go off
    When I got downstairs my outter hall door was wide open (hadn't locked it properly, thought pushing handle up locked it, they couldn't get through the second one before I scared them away. Inner door had a twisty lock, so always properly locked it
    After checking cctv I could see some prick open my hall door in seconds, quicker than I could with keys
    An alarm, 2 cars in driveway, cctv did not deter him
    Even after alarm went off he still tried opening inner door
    I live in an estate
    After googling burglaries in work, I came across this chalk myth
    Sure enough when I came home I could see two chalk lines on my pillar
    Coincidence, maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I read a while ago that they have different marks outside. Some marks mean the house is alarm, if you have a dog etc.

The last time I saw marks on the road outside my house it was for the installation of a water meter, a different form of fobbery!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd believe more in dolphins able to disable bombs than this ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

Hang some old shoes over the phone lines outside your house, they won't break in if they think you're a drug dealer!

Grow lots of pampas grass outside to let them know you are swinger dealers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Samohara844

Complete nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd say it be handier just checking people's Facebook accounts..

"off on my holidays for two weeks "

" bringing the children into the zoo today"

And all that checking in shyte at certain locations.

Some people make it too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It's all BULL****, oh let's mark this for other scumbags?

Why not, not mark it and keep it for themselves?!

People that believe this ****e should not be allowed to be in control of crayons.. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

I read a while ago that they have different marks outside. Some marks mean the house is alarm, if you have a dog etc.

Why are people so gullible?

Do you think a potential burglar has the inability to look at a house and see an alarm box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

This has been doing the rounds since 2009. http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/housebreakerscode.asp

Normally, any marks that actually exist are by utility companies marking where pipes etc are.

Delacent wrote: »
    Why are people so gullible?

Do you think a potential burglar has the inability to look at a house and see an alarm box?

Not every alarm box is real
    Not everyone sets their alarm

My alarm was triggered at 6.30am on a Saturday
    Triggered again at 6.30 the following day as they broke into my house
    Two chalk lines on pillar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Not every alarm box is real
    Not everyone sets their alarm

My alarm was triggered at 6.30am on a Saturday
    Triggered again at 6.30 the following day as they broke into my house
    Two chalk lines on pillar

In all seriousness, though, why would burglars want come straight back to a house the alarm went off in? If they were gonna mark it, they'd probably be telling themselves NOT to come back. Unfortunate coincidence I'd say.

In all seriousness, though, why would burglars want come straight back to a house the alarm went off in? If they were gonna mark it, they'd probably be telling themselves NOT to come back. Unfortunate coincidence I'd say.

Why would burglars want to break into a house with 2 front doors, 2 cars, alarm and cctv and 2 dogs????????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In all seriousness, though, why would burglars want come straight back to a house the alarm went off in?

They would be trying to make it look, sound, like the alarm was going off for no reason.

So when they come back again people will think it's a false alarm

CatFromHue wrote: »
    They would be trying to make it look, sound, like the alarm was going off for no reason.

So when they come back again people will think it's a false alarm
    A prime example of why you should have a burglar alarm backed up by CCTV that records the video.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why would burglars want to break into a house with 2 front doors, 2 cars, alarm and cctv and 2 dogs????????

Because they might think there's something good worth taking if there's that much security

Weepsie wrote: »
    Because they might think there's something good worth taking if there's that much security

I wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Someone was busy practicing their shapes judging by those drawings. Not sure many criminals would have the intellect to decipher these anyway.

"Vulnerable female easily conned " and "nervous and afraid" both look like beginner attempts at drawing a cube.

Advertisement