Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chalk marks outside home indicate marked for theft

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd say it be handier just checking people's Facebook accounts..
    or twitter
    http://pleaserobme.com/why

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The council does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm just loling that Scumbags seem to spread a secret code amongst themselves like the Templar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

There's been a spate of robberies in my rural area. I was talking to a council worker today who said that indeed, some guy nearby had rang the council looking to see what was going to be done on the road outside their house : there was a spray mark outside his gate. Council boss hadn't anything on schedule for that location, but told him he'd check with water crowd, just in case : there was nothing planned either.
    So the word is out in our area, at least, that a mark, whatever mark, not little drawings, outside your gates should be investigated.
    No harm in that anyway, right ?

In rural areas where houses are few and far between, I wouldn't be surprised if gangs had some way to earmark a few places.

There's also a story that a lady in local small town found a mark outside her father's property : the man had moved to a home, so the house was empty most of the time.

edit : not on about some elaborate code here, just mark, of whatever kind.

There's been a spate of robberies in my rural area. I was talking to a council worker today who said that indeed, some guy nearby had rang the council looking to see what was going to be done on the road outside their house : there was a spray mark outside his gate. Council boss hadn't anything on schedule for that location, but told him he'd check with water crowd, just in case : there was nothing planned either.
    So the word is out in our area, at least, that a mark, whatever mark, not little drawings, outside your gates should be investigated.
    No harm in that anyway, right ?

In rural areas where houses are few and far between, I wouldn't be surprised if gangs had some way to earmark a few places.

There's also a story that a lady in local small town found a mark outside her father's property : the man had moved to a home, so the house was empty most of the time.

Prob just a colour of paint for the Gang themselves send out a spotter. Nothing like the da vinci code in the op.

• Advertisement

Prob just a colour of paint for the Gang themselves send out a spotter. Nothing like the da vinci code in the op.

Yeah, I think anything that just pops up some morning outside the gate could be a mark tbh. The gangs that operate around here would not be from the immediate area, so I can see how even a coloured plastic bag hanging off a tree outside, a dot of spray or some such would be useful to the scourers themselves or the ones meant to do the robbing.

We've been told to be very vigilant and try and spot vans/cars of certain colours and makes by the gardai, but sure there's many of the same in the area, so any other little sign we can spot might help.

Yeah, I think anything that just pops up some morning outside the gate could be a mark tbh. The gangs that operate around here would not be from the immediate area, so I can see how even a coloured plastic bag hanging off a tree outside, a dot of spray or some such would be useful to the scourers themselves or the ones meant to do the robbing.

We've been told to be very vigilant and try and spot vans/cars of certain colours and makes by the gardai, but sure there's many of the same in the area, so any other little sign we can spot might help.

If you are Rural, Your best bet is be vigilant. If it looks out of the ordinary it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They do. Its called a Sat Nav.
    You can give it to a mate, and itll bring him to the last few chosen properties.
    And no matter who chases you down unfamiliar back roads, it'll even bring you home!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    They do. Its called a Sat Nav.
    You can give it to a mate, and itll bring him to the last few chosen properties.
    And no matter who chases you down unfamiliar back roads, it'll even bring you home!

I'm not sure the gangs operating in our parts are that sophisticated, or even communicate well enough to share geo locations that way. My guess is they grunt, nod, or spit at each other.

And sat nav in rural parts is famously crap, BTW.

I'm not sure the gangs operating in our parts are that sophisticated, or even communicate well enough to share geo locations that way. My guess is they grunt, nod, or spit at each other.

Dunno about that boss :P

• Advertisement

Dunno about that boss :P

I think we must be having a little telepathic episode :)

No its not.
    If I rock up to your house selling gates, or tools, or looking for directions, and I see a nice quad bike or trailer or an open shed with power tools, all I have to do is "save my location" on the Sat Nav and it'll bring anyone right back to your gate.Guaranteed.
    Save a dozen good "spots" and pass the sat Nav to some one else. Impossible to link me to your burgled house, cause I wasn't there...

I've done it myself, if I see a car with a"for sale" sign or whatever and want to go back and look at it etc, etc or to find apace on holidays again..

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

I put the "nothing worth stealing one" outside my gaf.

And a huge X outside my cnuty neighbours.

article-0-1BA21509000005DC-758_634x529.jpg

probably not the worst chalk lines you could find out side your house.

th?id=OIP.Mb07aea5c418496c108d4f11510f99fe8o0&pid=15.1

I think we must be having a little telepathic episode :)

We all know the story just not allowed to say it :P

No its not.
    If I rock up to your house selling gates, or tools, or looking for directions, and I see a nice quad bike or trailer or an open shed with power tools, all I have to do is "save my location" on the Sat Nav and it'll bring anyone right back to your gate.Guaranteed.
    Save a dozen good "spots" and pass the sat Nav to some one else. Impossible to link me to your burgled house, cause I wasn't there...

That's why we're all extra vigilant. There have been no prior calls to houses that have already been burglared.

Yeah I know, our area is in the same state of alert. If you changed the van, its guaranteed a neighbour will have took notice of your reg. within a day or so, and asked around till its known that "that's X, he has a Berlingo now" etc.
    Trouble is, unless you have CCTV, you cant be sure that no one called at some stage.
    Couple of robberies around here one night before Christmas, and no one saw a thing. The one house with CCTV, they had balaclavas and the numberplate covered.

Yeah I know, our area is in the same state of alert. If you changed the van, its guaranteed a neighbour will have took notice of your reg. within a day or so, and asked around till its known that "that's X, he has a Berlingo now" etc.
    Trouble is, unless you have CCTV, you cant be sure that no one called at some stage.
    Couple of robberies around here one night before Christmas, and no one saw a thing. The one house with CCTV, they had balaclavas and the numberplate covered.

Nothing much we can do alright. Except trying to have someone at home for most of the time. I don't think there have been any instances of break ins when people were home so far, thankfully.

Nothing much we can do alright. Except trying to have someone at home for most of the time. I don't think there have been any instances of break ins when people were home so far, thankfully.

Have you looked into them wireless motion cameras that you can send images to a smartphone ? You can even set up that kind of stuff to go to your phone for the elderly neighbours. Stuff is pretty cheap. Well cheaper than the burglary.

That's more Mr M's domain tbh, but i think he had something like that for inside. He's on the case anyway so, we're overdue a security update at this stage.

That's more Mr M's domain tbh, but i think he had something like that for inside. He's on the case anyway so, we're overdue a security update at this stage.

I work in IT so unfortunately sometimes I don't remember everyone is not on the same level. It's about the best thing you can do tbh at this stage. ESP will all the rural Garda now gone. Hopefully it will get to a stage the Garda in the Rural Areas will setup a drone network once they become cheaper. Also why I'm up a weird hours :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a good few driveways in my estate were chalk marked last night at some stage between 9pm to 10am this morning.

Seems to be an X in yellow chalk outside a good few of the houses. By coincidence herself is off next week, we are fully alarmed with large dog, and have extra security locks on the sliding door etc. so are about as prepared as we can be.

Will alert the gardai and the neighbours today.

Cork Area just outside the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a good few driveways in my estate were chalk marked last night at some stage between 9pm to 10am this morning.

Seems to be an X in yellow chalk outside a good few of the houses. By coincidence herself is off next week, we are fully alarmed with large dog, and have extra security locks on the sliding door etc. so are about as prepared as we can be.

Will alert the gardai and the neighbours today.

Cork Area just outside the city.

did you not read the thread ? or google this ? or see it in the media ? or ask anyone ?

its not travellers its utilities companys most likely irish water

I would say it's more likely to be Openeir running new ducting for FTTH.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    did you not read the thread ? or google this ? or see it in the media ? or ask anyone ?

its not travellers its utilities companys most likely irish water
    Irish Water doing it overnight on a Saturday / Sunday morning ? I was working on the car in the driveway all yesterday and it wasn't there. I spoke to the gardai on the phone about it and they confirmed it can be linked with burglary .

They popped out and took a look and have decided they will pop into the estate as part of their routine visits in the area for the next few. Weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,190 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why would they bother with chalk, a drop of rain and it's gone, they could just take photos on their phones and geo tag them to know exactly where to rob, they could then send them around to each other for maximum theftage.

Irish Water doing it overnight on a Saturday / Sunday morning ? I was working on the car in the driveway all yesterday and it wasn't there. I spoke to the gardai on the phone about it and they confirmed it is linked with burglary
    If you're concerned about them, get together with the neighbours and wash them away.
    Problem solved, may piss off whoever put them there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Irish Water doing it overnight on a Saturday / Sunday morning ? I was working on the car in the driveway all yesterday and it wasn't there. I spoke to the gardai on the phone about it and they confirmed it can be linked with burglary .

They popped out and took a look and have decided they will pop into the estate as part of their routine visits in the area for the next few. Weeks

bolloxs

if a garda told you that then he is an idiot

scare mongering by rag news papers and idiots

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-35337747

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Call the special branch, what you've found is a special crinnimal language only known by crinnimals you see. Based on extremely complex letters and glyphs to tell the next lad whats the craic with the house.

Oh no, actually it isn't, it's either a utility company or someone acting the bollox.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    bolloxs

if a garda told you that then he is an idiot

scare mongering by rag news papers and idiots

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-35337747

Thanks for that link , it certainly wasn't one of the first to come up on Google for me .

Actually had a more sensible Garda call into the estate while ago and had a word with him. He said he has seen it a few times where the Irish water lads will come around at first light to avoid any potential harresment , he does find it odd that it's done in chalk and that the markings don't align to where you would expect the water pipes to be buried in relation to the meter.

He reaffirmed they will purposely pop into the estate when on their regular patrols .

• Advertisement

If you're concerned about them, get together with the neighbours and wash them away.
    Problem solved, may piss off whoever put them there though.

The marks are inside the property line 1-2ft into the driveway , if they wanted to leave their marks untouched they should of stayed on the footpath or road.

Advertisement