Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chalk marks outside home indicate marked for theft

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Smacks of cut-and-paste journalism.

I find it hard to believe that there's mass co-operation between petty crims.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

Sounds like one part of a burglary team scope out the house and mark it, while others come later to rob it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/chalk-marks-outside-homes-indicate-potential-for-theft-590901.html

I think an AH sting operation is called for... in combination with the MMA forum of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'll get the doughnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yeah I can really see them taking the time to do the 'already been burgled' sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Pulitzer price stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The schoolchildren outside my house have marked out some sort of hopsktoch course.

...the bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Reminds me of hobo code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hang some old shoes over the phone lines outside your house, they won't break in if they think you're a drug dealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I call bullsh1t on the sensationalism of the detail of the markings anyway,

Its not unknown for the Romany gypsies to be at that lark where they mark for cars that are on the shopping list.

I was messing with a can of roadspray and drew a line on the path outside my house, thought nothing more until a few weeks later the mother comes to me and says "think we're being watched to be robbed, be careful"

I says "why"

Replies:
    "Theyve marked the path out on the road, see the blue line, that means we're gonna be robbed" :pac:

She nearly threw me out when I told her, she'd been up in arms for weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

most burgulars are junkies. judging by the level of intelligence seen by 'them' on dublins boardwalks, i would be pretty confident that this story is BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

That's just some shite the Daily Heil printed a while back.

They use chalk? In one of the rainiest countries in the world?

Also, since when did different crowds of thieves co-operate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Mark your own house with chalk, outwit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

copeyhagen wrote: »
    most burgulars are junkies. judging by the level of intelligence seen by 'them' on dublins boardwalks, i would be pretty confident that this story is BS.

Maybe in and around Dublin CC they are, in the rest of the country its mostly,

Certain 'nomadic' ethnic groups, including but not limited to Indigenous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Yeah I can really see them taking the time to do the 'already been burgled' sign.

Must go paint one of them outside my own place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Looks like a poorly committed street artist who gets halfway to drawing a 3D boxe and then gives up!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

For me, its like old school dating. Im going to take a walk around my place later and find all the "vulnerable females who are easily conned"

I have found one of these in chalk outside my house three times since moving in 5-6 years ago.

Something tells me it is not burlary they have in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I like fact that they have a symbol for houses are alarmed. Is it too difficult to look up at the alarm on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I hear they give out free heroin to get the childer hooked Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm just going to draw my own 'too risky' sign on my wall.

Along with a few guns and a big dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

sorry to tell you but it's true - there have been lots of burglaries in certain areas in my city and the guards have warned about these signs - seemingly they work in groups, the houses are "studied" for a while and marks are put on the pillars of the house (not the footpath) telling the other half of the group when to go in and what to expect. Its very well organized. So don't disregard it.

just letting you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If you smear lamb's blood on the door they won't bother you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sorry to tell you but it's true - there have been lots of burglaries in certain areas in my city and the guards have warned about these signs - seemingly they work in groups, the houses are "studied" for a while and marks are put on the pillars of the house (not the footpath) telling the other half of the group when to go in and what to expect. Its very well organized. So don't disregard it.

just letting you know.
    Sorry, but if a gang wanted to rob a house they'd talk to each other. Not draw symbols in plain site for everyone to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Are they not the scoring marks for hopscotch?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

just letting you know.

Can they not write down a house address? It's not that hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Wouldn't chalk marks wash off in about 10 mins of Irish weather which resembles the inside of a washing machine on super-rinse most of the time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

donvito99 wrote: »
    The schoolchildren outside my house have marked out some sort of hopsktoch course.

...the bastards.

Don't you recognize a schematic of the neighbourhood when you see it? Look closely and I'll bet you they put the house numbers on it as well.

Have them arrested and waterboarded just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Maybe they've organised some sort of thieves guild ala Terry Prachett's Books...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Reminds me of hobo code.

Thats an awesome page, who would have guessed.

hobo convention....gtfo :)

Advertisement