Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom Hagen

npgallag wrote: »
    thanks for your comments severeoversteer
    I will be asking builder about the corners and why there were not used...
    And why no vertical DPC..will this cause issues in the future if done after.?
    Any problems using double lintels..?

not sure why the vertical dpc wasn't installed during construction, madness if you ask me. how is it gonna be fixed afterwards? :confused:

doubling up lintels is fine. no worries there. and the insulation butted together isn't a biggy either compared to that dpc issue. dampness prevention is critical.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Tom Hagen wrote: »
    not sure why the vertical dpc wasn't installed during construction, madness if you ask me. how is it gonna be fixed afterwards? :confused:

doubling up lintels is fine. no worries there. and the insulation butted together isn't a biggy either compared to that dpc issue. dampness prevention is critical.
    npgallag
    Those questions should be directed to your builder and structural/architectural team.

And Please take the above post in the context of the link below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101931625&postcount=1

Best of luck on your build.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭npgallag

Thanks Tom... We could use a Kooltherm Cavity Closer but I will address with builder first thing in new year and see what his plan is.

Hi Bryan..Yes I will direct them to my builder but its good to get some insight here. Not sure what it has to do with Septic tank - washing machine? link...?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Fayre

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Yes, I have to say it was a very tough journey and so glad it's over (well loads more to do but at least I'm in). Do all self-builders find it a terrible experience or is there anyone out there who actually enjoyed the ride?

It's one of the most stressful things I've ever done and as well as breaking the bank it's broken my spirit along the way as well.

However I have learned so much in the last 2 years I sometimes think when it's all over I'll have a head full of construction knowledge and nowhere for it to go so I find myself eyeing up derelict properties around the place thinking wouldn't it be an idea to buy them, do em up and sell em on...

Having made all my mistakes on my forever dream home it seems a logical progression now to get investment properties right first time :D

Hi Bryan..Yes I will direct them to my builder but its good to get some insight here. Not sure what it has to do with Septic tank - washing machine? link...?

To ask a question of that nature implies a lack of general construction knowledge

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Unfortunately the photo doesn't capture the sunshine but the solar gain these days is unreal. If you're starting out on designing your house make sure to maximise exposure to that fire ball in the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭a_noodle_jenny

Preliminary test
    Air change per hour of 0.76
    Air permeability of 1.06

I'm told they didn't find any gaps
    BER A2

Next stage is internal plastering

Fayre wrote: »
    To ask a question of that nature implies a lack of general construction knowledge

Why..? I don't understand your condescending remark or the link to the septic tank post.?
    There actually is verticle DPC strip behind the blockwork and we will be using cavity closers on the window returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Why..? I don't understand your condescending remark or the link to the septic tank post.?
    There actually is verticle DPC strip behind the blockwork and we will be using cavity closers on the window returns.

I think you've the the wrong end of the stick he was basically saying the boardie that made the comment about the vertical DPC may not have a clue what he's talking about.

Why..?
    Because it's common knowledge that all waste from your house has to go to the septic tank

• Advertisement

Because it's common knowledge that all waste from your house has to go to the septic tank
    Yes I know that...but that has nothing to do with my discussion about DPC.
    Though boards was about sharing the knowledge and not personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Yes I know that...but that has nothing to do with my discussion about DPC.
    Though boards was about sharing the knowledge and not personal.

Again your missing the point none of this is aimed at you. The poster who commented with semi expert opinion on your build himself was asking basic construction questions about his own build.
    If he didn't know the answer to the septic tank question he wasn't in a position to dish out construction advice to you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,192 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The bigger issue is the banned poster actually saying "doubling up lintels is fine".

He's neither a structural engineer not intimately involved in the build, so that's a very very dangerous thing to say.

Lintels should never be doubled up. That's a sign the correct prestressed lintel wasn't ordered / specified. Lintels need a certain amount of mortared blockwork over them to work as designed, and doubling up on them does not double their strength. It's a typical "sure that's the way I've always done it" answer by a blockie.

So could we get back to current construction chat/queries?
    Fair play to moderators - am reading back through thread.
    We are finalizing kitchen plan tomorrow and asking about appliances from him. Plumber next for us... last Christmas in our rental property (7th Christmas here and 2 kids and a dog... ;-)
    Not one bit sad packing away decorations today

Ok point taken. Didn't realize he was a banned poster.

Preliminary test
    Air change per hour of 0.76
    Air permeability of 1.06

I'm told they didn't find any gaps
    BER A2

Next stage is internal plastering

Ok so was on site today and a few gaps surely where dpc got perforated / damaged. Our man is tasty - lots of little bits of tape about the place but it's mostly from pumping cavity.

One could save a lot of expense / labour if the insulation guys were on board at design phase... or build a very very simple shape

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭m1b2k3

Love your big window a_noodle_jenny

Just a quick question, we are currently plastering the chimney and some bits of gables that we need done before the roofers can finish the slates, Do people bother painting these while the scaffold is still up or is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

m1b2k3 wrote: »

Just a quick question, we are currently plastering the chimney and some bits of gables that we need done before the roofers can finish the slates, Do people bother painting these while the scaffold is still up or is it worth it?

I painted the chimney while the scaffold was up, primer and two coats.

My painter told us he would do the gables off ladders so no need for scaffolding - just as well as it's expensive to have onsite

Be careful what kind of primer you get for the chimney cap, get the right one (I can't remember which one is the right one but I know its a watch out)

Never thought of that! I won't be painting my house for a while though (1-2 years)

Horizontal collector for Ground Source Heat Pump being laid
    Concrete pad (outside the back door) for under GSHP being poured on Monday (along with footpath).
    Once concrete pad is poured Waterfurnace heat pump will be installed and very quickly a pump house will be built around it (heat pump shouldn't be left outside but can survive a short time while pump house being built)
    Hoping the weather forecast doesn't interfere with this plan!

I put the tubes down between 1.1 - 1.5m everywhere. This is deeper than usual - paranoid about frost/a bad winter!
    (And same with my water line from the water well I put it 1.1m deep)

• Advertisement

Thanks a million!

We will leave plaster set and paint with rest of house... we will be paying a painter to do the work - our house is not especially high

I know the coloured plaster is popular here on boards too - some hate it and some rave about it

Looks brill - you are right to be paranoid... no water due to frost so many of us have been there
    I will never forget it!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Horizontal collector for Ground Source Heat Pump being laid
    Concrete pad (outside the back door) for under GSHP being poured on Monday (along with footpath).
    Once concrete pad is poured Waterfurnace heat pump will be installed and very quickly a pump house will be built around it (heat pump shouldn't be left outside but can survive a short time while pump house being built)
    Hoping the weather forecast doesn't interfere with this plan!

I put the tubes down between 1.1 - 1.5m everywhere. This is deeper than usual - paranoid about frost/a bad winter!
    (And same with my water line from the water well I put it 1.1m deep)

Fayre
    is it just trenches that you dig out for the collector or is it an entire area of ground you dig out to a required depth? I was talking to a rep recently about ground source heat pump, i was telling him my percolation wasnt brilliant and have heavy ground and wondered whether this would negatively effect gshp, he said just dig an additional trench and and use another roll of pipe which he said would more than compensate?

annubis wrote: »
    Fayre
    is it just trenches that you dig out for the collector or is it an entire area of ground you dig out to a required depth? I was talking to a rep recently about ground source heat pump, i was telling him my percolation wasnt brilliant and have heavy ground and wondered whether this would negatively effect gshp, he said just dig an additional trench and and use another roll of pipe which he said would more than compensate?

It's laid in lines inside trenches. These photos are better.

Yeah I would get a second opinion on that - what he means basically is just lay more pipe (more trenches, more pipe) so you'd be making up for the inefficency of your collector by just having more of it.

I know the 'T value' from your percolation test is the one to look at to see if your ground is a) excellent results from GSHP, b) acceptable results from GSHP or c) GSHP is not recommended. Problem I had when I looked at the percolation test results (site assessment) there are several different T values mentioned in the report though so it's being sure you're looking at the right one!

I know it was explained to me that how it mainly works is:
    Sun heats the ground and the water in the ground, water trickles down through the ground to the pipes, heat is transferred from the water to the outside of the pipes. That's why they work best in marshy areas so if you can have your soakways from your house drains going to the area where the pipes are you'll increase your efficiency (or even have the pipes going where your percolation area for your septic tank is going I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Ok so was on site today and a few gaps surely where dpc got perforated / damaged. Our man is tasty - lots of little bits of tape about the place but it's mostly from pumping cavity.

One could save a lot of expense / labour if the insulation guys were on board at design phase... or build a very very simple shape

Hi Jenny

Approx what dims are your big window? and the height of the ceiling?

We will be putting in something similar in our build when the time comes I hope but its hard to see it on the plans. This photo really helps.

Yours looks great....

Frogeye

Frogeye wrote: »
    Hi Jenny

Approx what dims are your big window? and the height of the ceiling?

We will be putting in something similar in our build when the time comes I hope but its hard to see it on the plans. This photo really helps.

Yours looks great....

Frogeye

Don't have figures here FrogEye
    That structure has caused more hassle but I must say I do think it will be worth it... firstly it needed a custom job steel structure to house the window... that was all new to me... then only one company in the country can make this... they don't deal directly with the public, it goes on and on
    Last August we were told we had to use either ceiling level structural beams or collar ties. As we have a small mezzanine this wasn't a great option. I wanted my big ceiling like in all my Houzz Ideabooks and Pinterest boards. Thankfully we got around it...

I went with standard size 78x98 polyeurethan velux windows triple glazed quite low U value - that's to do with the insulation guy. I'd have never been as keen on all the extra features within the materials of the glass themselves but I'm learning quickly - particularly with a structure this size that will be our home... spend now or forever hold your peace - particularly on a window night like tonight with snow on the way for us here this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭covey09

Jenny, great pics and we are following your build with interest as we are at the design stage and are hoping to do a nice feature window at the gable end. Is the window triple or double?.
    Thanks

It's triple glazed everything even velux roof windows. That's the spec - we have 7 roof windows polyeurethane in hard to reach spaces and white painted in other spaces. OH just clarified the regular windows are O.8 w/m2k he thinks. . Windows again are all triple glazed with extra features that added considerably to price. This is mainly to do with the overall spec of insulation in house.
    We are following advice from a professional on all of these - this is not something either of us has envisioned for our build - but with weather like today it will be great to have comfort.
    I also follow a lot of people on this thread and other threads on boards who are well ahead on their build. TBH is was all the talk about airtightness and botched jobs that got me putting the pressure on to take the plunge and hire someone to advise us directly. I don't work in construction and neither does OH so outside help was our only option if we wanted it done right.
    HTH!

This is what we are up against in our current (2006 built) rental... our second child born a few weeks early arrived before Christmas 2015.

Her bassinet was placed beside window due to mild jaundice but the draught on the small baby was terrible... so I got the tape out and did a temp job.

Leaving it there for vanity sake! :D

• Advertisement

see the metal divider used for the double glazing Jenny - metal is a conductor of cold as well as heat, so you're better off having non-metal there, I'm sure in your new house it's different

Advertisement