Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Was it really a shock that it was him? We saw the Aslan drum kit from the very start of the show.

Tiernan is scraping the bottom of the barrel bad comedian. Poor observations, shouty ranty absolutely pointless rambling you'll ever see.

Only morons find him funny and to be fair the country is full of em.

Tiernan is scraping the bottom of the barrel bad comedian. Poor observations, shouty ranty absolutely pointless rambling you'll ever see.

A guy absolutely stealing his living.

Get a life will ya...Tommy is an absolute legend. And so what if he offends minorities etc its only comedy....bar taking the mick out people with downs syndrome (who he is a huge supporter of by the way) who does he not just speak the truth about??? Hes only saying what the vast majority of the population are thinking and havin a bit of craic with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

He might as well have a blocklayer, plumber or carpenter on.

Who cares as long as the interview is good?

Anyway, I enjoyed it but again the sketch in the middle was really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Tommy's no Graham Norton, but I'd watch this ahead of LLS, RDS and Cutting Edge. Brendan's good but his "guests" are the same commentators we see / hear all the time.

It's a refreshing formula alright.

I'd watch Cutting Edge because I do enjoy the issues being debated, but not necessarily because of the ppl that are debating it.

I'd rarely watch the Graham Norton show myself. I am not particularly interested in actor celebrities. Sometimes I am if they are real icons but not the likes of Ryan Reynolds or ppl of that ilk.

The LLS might have one segment that is worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Suas11 wrote: »
    Who cares as long as the interview is good?

Anyway, I enjoyed it but again the sketch in the middle was really bad.

Well that's what I'm saying, some interviews with ordinary folk would go down great.

Well that's what I'm saying, some interviews with ordinary folk would go down great.

I thought the interview with the animation expert was great. it's refreshing to have a non-celebrity on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Oh ok, I thought you were saying the opposite. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I was in the audience for tonights show. A lot edited out. The sketch in the middle on the night was actually all about STDs and was the best part of the show minus the song at the end. The skit they changed it too and the dog was atrocious.

As for Tiernan.... He's got no interviewing nuance. You have Richard BANEHAM. An Oscar winning visual affects director and pioneer in his field who rubs shoulders with some of the biggest stars in the world. He threw Tommy a bone and said I worked with Jim on that.

I was in the audience thinking okay he's on first name basis with James Cameron, Tommy will go into Holywood and all its intrigues......no the next question was about fifa...****ING FIFA. And having a slag at his accent

YOU don't see it tonight as it's edited out but he asked about 5 more fifa related questions and Richard cut him off saying "look Tommy I don't really know much about games let's change the subject. It was embarrassing.

Few cheap laughs but worse than I remember sitting in the audience

I was in the audience for tonights show. A lot edited out. The sketch in the middle on the night was actually all about STDs and was the best part of the show minus the song at the end. The skit they changed it too and the dog was atrocious.

As for Tiernan.... He's got no interviewing nuance. You have Richard BANEHAM. An Oscar winning visual affects director and pioneer in his field who rubs shoulders with some of the biggest stars in the world. He threw Tommy a bone and said I worked with Jim on that.

I was in the audience thinking okay he's on first name basis with James Cameron, Tommy will go into Holywood and all its intrigues......no the next question was about fifa...****ING FIFA. And having a slag at his accent

YOU don't see it tonight as it's edited out but he asked about 5 more fifa related questions and Richard cut him off saying "look Tommy I don't really know much about games let's change the subject. It was embarrassing.

Is it not the case that that he can't prepare his questions in advance ?

The last thing I would ever want to do is interview someone on camera when I haven't a clue or have no interest in the subjects background.

I think he did quite well when you look at it from that angle.

Maybe it would be a good idea to allow the audience to ask a question.

I do agree that asking FiFA questions would bore me to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness no easy task to interview someone and you have absolutely no idea who they are. Even though Tommy seemed to think movie animation and game design were all basically the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

In fairness no easy task to interview someone and you have absolutely no idea who they are. Even though Tommy seemed to think movie animation and game design were all basically the same thing.

I think if he sticks to the most basic journalistic/interviewer ideas (you want your audience to know the who/what/where/why) he could do a lot better. I assume the guests know that Tommy knows nothing about them and would try and work with him, as it's in their interests to look good too; but if that's not the case, a question along the lines of "what do you think your best work is/what would people most know you for"? should give him a reply with enough info for an interesting/funny follow-up question.

It's a really interesting idea, and i'd love to see it succeed, but it might need a bit more teasing out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

itac wrote: »

It's a really interesting idea, and i'd love to see it succeed, but it might need a bit more teasing out.

Not surprisingly RTE stroked the idea off the BBC........

It's a wonder Russel did not bring it up last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Missed part one but I really liked it I have to say. It's a good premise for a chat show. All the rest are rehearsed to the last so it's good to see spontaneity with an interview. I had no idea who the last guest was at all. The triplets came across very well. I'll give it another watch next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

How long ago was it recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

learn_more wrote: »
    I thought the interview with the animation expert was great. it's refreshing to have a non-celebrity on.

To be honest you'd be hard pressed to call TT guests so far, celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Clarebelly wrote: »
    Not surprisingly RTE stroked the idea off the BBC........

They're not even close to being the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

KKkitty wrote:
    . The triplets came across very well. I'll give it another watch next week.

Tiernans WTF facial expressions at these coming on was the highlight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Tiernans WTF facial expressions at these coming on was the highlight for me.

Eyes on stalks comes to mind. In all fairness it seems like a good show. If you don't like it don't watch it. This isn't directed at you jimmycrackcorm just so you know.

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be honest you'd be hard pressed to call TT guests so far, celebrities.

True, which is why I called them non-celebrities !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Tommy - to Paddy Moloney & John Sheahan.

'Ye came out of the crypt for the evening' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Gas characters Paddy Moloney and John Sheahan

• Advertisement

This show is a bit of craic unlike the misery on the LLS & The Ray D'arcy Show. In fairness to Tiernan, he tries to get the best out of his guests without making hard work of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Absolutely cracking show tonight , will go down as a classic , first part anyway, I was looking forward to it and he didn't disappoint.

Christ, at times it feels like half the country is on anti-depressants :(

This is a very interesting discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Christ, at times it feels like half the country is on anti-depressants :(
    It's the other half Id be worried about.

Great start. I love Paddy and John. As always, Tommy sat back and let them flow. Very little interruption. And nobody is selling anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Fair play for Tommy for calling him out on soundbites

Where do we go for healing...

Ummm friends, family, phone services, dodge dodge waffle waffle

Tommy has a great brain, he seems to have the ability to talk to everyone, regardless of of their background or intellectual level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

So impressed with this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Tommy is a far far superior interviewer than anything rte have.

Comes across as disarming, allows people to speak and listens and responds intelligently and not deferrential

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Good show tonight and hello Lisa.

Advertisement