Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Bigus wrote: »
    I don't know what you're watching but I've haven't seen the chieftains and Dubliners live together for years , probably because they're mostly passed away, which could have been very morose on Tubs or D'arcy.
    What I saw was ;
    Genuine rapport ,love and respect between three intelligent people going both ways.

Impromptu use of two musical instruments by world class stars, egged on by the bould Tommy , a few, very funny low balls and quick replies, all unrehearsed.

And to cap it all Tommy crowning the lads "elders of our tribe"

As for what " Did we know about them that We didn't know last week "

I never heard the funny side before and I was royally entertained , especially the way the two tin whistles were pulled out of the inside pockets and made sound ridiculously good, and all good humoured and the definition of Craic.

I'm glad I don't look at the world through cynical eyes anymore life's to short and the winter too dark .

That's what I was watching, and the I'm glad I did, as did my 2 sons in their 20's

The Three of us haven't laughed as much together in years .

Wow! Were ye smoking something by any chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The best thing about this show is that its all informal

Its nice and relaxed

Tommy for the Late Late Show job,get Tubs out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    whats the story with the set though, its atrocious. and the bit sitting round the table with the other two guys. not funny atal.

It's very minimalist alright, evoking the old curtain style sets of the 70s and 80s, I like it. There's none of the cod US tv style format with the big desk and sofas, just two chairs and the instant rapport the host seems to be able to strike instantly with his guests, no faux laughter or fake gravitas as practiced by the likes of Tubridy or D'Arcy. As interesting as the guests might be, the show stands or falls on the host's personality and needs no props or gimmicks to artificially boost it. Let's see if the high standard is maintained in subsequent shows. Right now, I'm a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

AnneFrank wrote: »
    jesus you're kidding, no wonder antidepressants are the popular choice at 5 euro per month

5 euro a month? Where did you get that from?

My brothers cost 53 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Christ, at times it feels like half the country is on anti-depressants :(
    sligojoek wrote: »
    It's the other half Id be worried about.
    I agree Joe. I have family and friends who have benefited greatly from being on anti-depressants. Some of whom tried various therapies but medication seemed to work best for them.

However, I sometimes feel that anti-depressants are being over prescribed by GPs because of the significant barriers that exist in this country when it comes to accessing good quality talk therapy/counselling services. There are often lengthy waiting lists for these services and understandably a GP can't always take the chance of leaving their patient without some type of treatment in the intervening time.

As for attending psychologists/psychiatrists, the cost can be prohibitive, many charge between €200 and €300 per appointment. While there is great work being done by organisations like Pieta House, the vast majority of people with depression, aren't suicidal but they do need some support. The HSE are running expensive ad campaigns encouraging people to talk but this is of no use if the services aren't there for those who need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Watching this on the player now as I couldn't take anymore of Tubs and his fidgeting with his cue cards.
    I must say, I've never been a fan of Tiernan, but I'm really impressed with this show. Whether genuine or not, he seems so relaxed and off the cuff with the interviews. The segment with the 2 ol bucks from the chieftains was great.
    Have RTE stumbled on a good format here with a decent host or am I the only one?

It's frankly amazing that the LLS thread on here gets more posts for one show than this thread has for the entire series. Seems the worse the show is the more popular the boards thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The LLS thread get more posts cos people come on to take the piss out of it. This thread is short on posts but full of praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

ts the sh"t paradigm of the twisted world we live in. The worst shows, the corniest videos, the worst newspaper articles - the poisonous click bait - generate the most hysterical and sustained reaction, mostly through disgust and outrage, and the bosses lap it all up because they know it will help them attract more advertising revenue. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, the cycle perpetuates and abject mediocrity takes over. Yeats kind of foreshadowed it when he wrote "the best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

sligojoek wrote: »
    The LLS thread get more posts cos people come on to take the piss out of it. This thread is short on posts but full of praise.

Excatly,the LLS at the moment is outdated and most weeks there is more craic on the LLS thread then there is on the programme

Tubridys interview style is predictable and doesnt make for great TV

Tommy is fresh to the game and just goes with the flow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think it's fair to compare TLL and Tommy's show.

For a start if Christy Dignam, Vogue Williams, and a random English comedian were guests on TLL people would be kicking up about how ****e the guest list was.

Tommy also benefits big time from his show not being live so they can edit it to make it better. Someone posted on here earlier in the thread about being in the crowd for one of the interviews and it was nowhere as good live as the edited version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think it's a great format. Why does it have to be compared to anything? It's entertaining genuine interviews with a good host who knows what questions to ask and when to shut the **** up and when to change the subject to something more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm watching the repeat now. It's a great show. The tin whistling has soothed my soul after a pretty sad weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to compare TLL and Tommy's show.

For a start if Christy Dignam, Vogue Williams, and a random English comedian were guests on TLL people would be kicking up about how ****e the guest list was.

Tommy also benefits big time from his show not being live so they can edit it to make it better. Someone posted on here earlier in the thread about being in the crowd for one of the interviews and it was nowhere as good live as the edited version.
    Yeah don't forget late late and darcy are live. I remember the poster as well who said how edited Tiernan s show was. So can't really compare them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Leaving aside the live vs recorded argument, Tommy appears to possess the emotional intelligence & intellectual curiosity necessary to simply let the interview flow & unfold organically, as opposed to having it boxed-in & restricted by what the cue cards dictate the course of the conversation must be.

That's very much in the mould of Gay Byrne - knowing when to press a point, when to to stop yourself asking a question, how to subtly empathise with a guest & how to read an audience and then follow a certain line accordingly.

Though the three-man skit was an odd misstep, I thought the show overall was a refreshingly good piece of TV & I hope to Christ someone in Montrose has the good sense to take notice of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Leaving aside the live vs recorded argument, Tommy appears to possess the emotional intelligence & intellectual curiosity necessary to simply let the interview flow & unfold organically, as opposed to having it boxed-in & restricted by what the cue cards dictate the course of the conversation must be.

That's very much in the mould of Gay Byrne - knowing when to press a point, when to to stop yourself asking a question, how to subtly empathise with a guest & how to read an audience and then follow a certain line accordingly.

Though the three-man skit was an odd misstep, I thought the show overall was a refreshingly good piece of TV & I hope to Christ someone in Montrose has the good sense to take notice of it.

His interview of Maloney and Sheahan was superb by him not saying very much and just letting them ramble on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 williejoe33

Give Tommy the LLS gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

NOOOOO.

The late late show should be put down and let go.

Let Tommy's show live on it's own.

I seriously doubt he would want to do RTE's idea of great friday night TV anyway.

Love Tommy, love the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 williejoe33

NOOOOO.

The late late show should be put down and let go.

Let Tommy's show live on it's own.

I seriously doubt he would want to do RTE's idea of great friday night TV anyway.

Love Tommy, love the show.

I dont know,give Tommy a 2 year contract to try and revive the LLS .It would be a three day week for him,more than enough for him to prepare,up and down from Galway,he could do this show in his sleep and I would say for half what they are paying Tubridy.

Lets face it,the LLS is on life support at the moment.

Only Tommy Tiernan could get away with taking the p1ss out of the travellers in front of John Connors.

Edit: I've never seen John laugh like that before :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

is Love Hate Coming Back now ?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Really enjoying this show. Couldn't see any other interviewer being so relaxed and able to talk about travellers to a traveller. Excellent stuff. Not afraid to go 'off script'

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When John was on with Tubs before it got a little heated, Tommy is asking good questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Can we have a "Stop stealing dogs week" for Travellers?

torrevieja wrote: »
    is Love Hate Coming Back now ?:eek:
    No. Johnny has a new show on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

When John was on with Tubs before it got a little heated, Tommy is asking good questions.

Tubs comes across as a bit of a snob though.

He got narky with Darcy another day on the radio.

I'm not sure RTE will ever find someone to replace Gaybo but I think Tommy comes very close, he is an excellent interviewer.

There was a family of travellers living near us when I was a child and boy could they sing Elvis songs, they were brilliant, they knew all his songs off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Tommy is Really good Such a Talent is he in the Betting now fro the Late Late, or a bigger show...

• Advertisement

He can carry a show. He has more charisma in his little finger that Tubbs and Darcy put together.

Advertisement