Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think it's a great format. Why does it have to be compared to anything? It's entertaining genuine interviews with a good host who knows what questions to ask and when to shut the **** up and when to change the subject to something more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm watching the repeat now. It's a great show. The tin whistling has soothed my soul after a pretty sad weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to compare TLL and Tommy's show.

For a start if Christy Dignam, Vogue Williams, and a random English comedian were guests on TLL people would be kicking up about how ****e the guest list was.

Tommy also benefits big time from his show not being live so they can edit it to make it better. Someone posted on here earlier in the thread about being in the crowd for one of the interviews and it was nowhere as good live as the edited version.
    Yeah don't forget late late and darcy are live. I remember the poster as well who said how edited Tiernan s show was. So can't really compare them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Leaving aside the live vs recorded argument, Tommy appears to possess the emotional intelligence & intellectual curiosity necessary to simply let the interview flow & unfold organically, as opposed to having it boxed-in & restricted by what the cue cards dictate the course of the conversation must be.

That's very much in the mould of Gay Byrne - knowing when to press a point, when to to stop yourself asking a question, how to subtly empathise with a guest & how to read an audience and then follow a certain line accordingly.

Though the three-man skit was an odd misstep, I thought the show overall was a refreshingly good piece of TV & I hope to Christ someone in Montrose has the good sense to take notice of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Leaving aside the live vs recorded argument, Tommy appears to possess the emotional intelligence & intellectual curiosity necessary to simply let the interview flow & unfold organically, as opposed to having it boxed-in & restricted by what the cue cards dictate the course of the conversation must be.

That's very much in the mould of Gay Byrne - knowing when to press a point, when to to stop yourself asking a question, how to subtly empathise with a guest & how to read an audience and then follow a certain line accordingly.

Though the three-man skit was an odd misstep, I thought the show overall was a refreshingly good piece of TV & I hope to Christ someone in Montrose has the good sense to take notice of it.

His interview of Maloney and Sheahan was superb by him not saying very much and just letting them ramble on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 williejoe33

Give Tommy the LLS gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

NOOOOO.

The late late show should be put down and let go.

Let Tommy's show live on it's own.

I seriously doubt he would want to do RTE's idea of great friday night TV anyway.

Love Tommy, love the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 williejoe33

NOOOOO.

The late late show should be put down and let go.

Let Tommy's show live on it's own.

I seriously doubt he would want to do RTE's idea of great friday night TV anyway.

Love Tommy, love the show.

I dont know,give Tommy a 2 year contract to try and revive the LLS .It would be a three day week for him,more than enough for him to prepare,up and down from Galway,he could do this show in his sleep and I would say for half what they are paying Tubridy.

Lets face it,the LLS is on life support at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Only Tommy Tiernan could get away with taking the p1ss out of the travellers in front of John Connors.

Edit: I've never seen John laugh like that before :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

is Love Hate Coming Back now ?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Really enjoying this show. Couldn't see any other interviewer being so relaxed and able to talk about travellers to a traveller. Excellent stuff. Not afraid to go 'off script'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,441 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When John was on with Tubs before it got a little heated, Tommy is asking good questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Can we have a "Stop stealing dogs week" for Travellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

torrevieja wrote: »
    is Love Hate Coming Back now ?:eek:
    No. Johnny has a new show on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

When John was on with Tubs before it got a little heated, Tommy is asking good questions.

Tubs comes across as a bit of a snob though.

He got narky with Darcy another day on the radio.

I'm not sure RTE will ever find someone to replace Gaybo but I think Tommy comes very close, he is an excellent interviewer.

There was a family of travellers living near us when I was a child and boy could they sing Elvis songs, they were brilliant, they knew all his songs off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Tommy is Really good Such a Talent is he in the Betting now fro the Late Late, or a bigger show...

• Advertisement

He can carry a show. He has more charisma in his little finger that Tubbs and Darcy put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I honestly dont like tommy cause of a show i was at of his years ago , but fair is fair he has done a great job last week an with the j connors interveiw he let it grow properly ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm not sure RTE will ever find someone to replace Gaybo but I think Tommy comes very close, he is an excellent interviewer.

His interviewing style reminds me a bit of Gerry Ryan, who (for all his flaws) always seemed genuinely interested in listening to people.

I reckon if Tommy did present the LLS, he would have no difficulty with the misery/serious items, he has enough life experience, as for the light entertainment side, that would be no issue at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Feckin sketch.

Who's this guest? Was he in Brookside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Lose the 3 guys at the table. Just doesn't work.

RayM wrote: »
    His interviewing style reminds me a bit of Gerry Ryan, who (for all his flaws) always seemed genuinely interested in listening to people.
    Gerry Ryan's best TV work in my opinion was 'The School Around The Corner' because he was excellent with children (being a big kid himself) and Ryan Confidential where he interviewed guests over dinner. He could really get people to open up, as you say he was interested in people's stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Good man John - football, ne'er mind your aul socher ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

1.618 wrote: »
    Lose the 3 guys at the table. Just doesn't work.

I'd say that's rte sketch that tommy has no say in.

Definitely a touch of the talentless rte muck like Bridget and Eamon.

Rte is dying slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

RayM wrote: »

I see more of Gaybo in him myself, just in his manner and the way he instantly relaxes guests and puts them at their ease. He's an entertainer but a fiercely intelligent one.

• Advertisement

The set reminds me of an old Parkinson Show set. The interviewer and guest are sitting close together and there is no desk to hide behind.

hqdefault.jpg

John looks great for 58 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I think Tommy is flying it with this show, genuinely impressed with him. Look at him, sitting back with his legs crossed like he's having a chat with someone he's known for yonks

That impression of Aldridge losing his temper in Orlando was spot on.

Tommy, I don't think you can have 'a third half', just saying :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭nc6000

This is easily the best chat show on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

He does say it with a wry smile..... just saying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Who did Tommy's make up? That colour is just makes him look really unwell.

secman wrote: »
    He dies say it with a wry smile..... just saying...

He says it each week.

secman wrote: »
    He dies say it with a wry smile..... just saying...
    Don't go bringing death into this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

That was a great chat with Aldo, so relaxed and it just worked. Tubridy & Darcy would never have done it half as well

Secman, the deaths have started already :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

How many more shows does he have, does anyone know?

Reminds me of a story. A few of us were in a pub in Nenagh one night. One of the lads mother was Fianna Fail and his father was Fine Gael. Mick went against both of them and became a full time shinner. Anyway an auld lad came in and Mick bought him a drink. Your man said "Thanks Mick. You're half Fianna Fail, half Fine Gael and half Sinn Fein. You're a man and a half."

sligojoek wrote: »
    Reminds me of a story. A few of us were in a pub in Nenagh one night. One of the lads mother was Fianna Fail and his father was Fine Gael. Mick went against both of them and became a full time shinner. Anyway an auld lad came in and Mick bought him a drink. Your man said "Thanks Mick. You're half Fianna Fail, half Fine Gael and half Sinn Fein. You're a man and a half."
    Feckin brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭nc6000

twirlagig wrote: »
    How many more shows does he have, does anyone know?

He doesn't know, that's a surprise too. ;)

SligoJoe, I bet you've been out in Gort??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lol, my Dad's head was wrecked wondering why he recognised the face until she mentioned Gort!

She was tricky enough to get any craic out of.

• Advertisement

Another enjoyable show and it was 100% misery free, Well done Tommy!

Advertisement