Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Thank you , I'm going up around 150-200 asl what temp would it be?
    That's lower than Roundwood. Think the car was showing 9 degrees when i got out an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

There will be alot of Dew Point watching Wednesday evening. Watch M4 Bouy like a Hawk. It will be a sudden Drop.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

2emcyhf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Thank you , I'm going up around 150-200 asl what temp would it be?

Ah sure that altitude you wouldnt even be halfway up to Jonnie Foxes. You need to go higher!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Hoping to head up to kippure summit on thurs 750 m high,should be nice and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Whilst areas like cork typically do well in a Northwesterly we seem to get a further boost on Thursday as a depression crosses the Southwest. It's far too early to be sure but significant disruption could be on the cards by Thurs afternoon. I expect school closures and for them to stay shut on Friday.
    Remember guys Cork is a very hilly city so eventhough we on the south coast I reckon disruption is a solid call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Whilst areas like cork typically do well in a Northwesterly we seem to get a further boost on Thursday as a depression crosses the Southwest. It's far too early to be sure but significant disruption could be on the cards by Thurs afternoon. I expect school closures and for them to stay shut on Friday.
    Remember guys Cork is a very hilly city so eventhough we on the south coast I reckon disruption is a solid call
    How is it looking atm for rural areas in north County Cork?

Areas like Newmarket, Rockchapel, Donnaghmore, Bweeng etc would be considerably higher then the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Heading up to the Dublin mountains soon, does anybody know how if there is snow up there or is it all clear ?

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

This is normally pretty accurate for me. Nice bit of -16 wind chill at 925 meters on Thursday.

irishfeen wrote: »
    How is it looking atm for rural areas in north County Cork?

Areas like Newmarket, Rockchapel, Donnaghmore, Bweeng etc would be considerably higher then the city.
    Looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

[Excuse any ignorance]

As it currently stands should there be concern for early AM flights on Friday from DUB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

ED E wrote: »
    [Excuse any ignorance]

As it currently stands should there be concern for early AM flights on Friday from DUB?

No. Unlikely worst case scenario would be a short delay if a heavy shower passes through about the time you're due to take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Excellent.thought we were doomed before it began down here.

Someone has to deactivate the SnowShield tho..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The HIRLAM indicating not much snow in the South earlier Thurs before 12.00 even though there should be a fair bit of precipitation. After that a heavier band in the afternoon looks like producing more snow as the temps drop to around freezing in the early evening and that is when you would think is the best chance for lying snow lasting into Fri. Would make Fri morning tricky for driving perhaps.

uWc0Hs9.png

J5neMic.png

s2qqwHa.png

pS33uwr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

It is extremely unusual for Cork City to get any snow in reality..significant snow is unheard of.

Dublin and Belfast yes in an Easterly or North Easterly wind which is quite rare nowadays but when it arrives it deposits lots of dry snow especially in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains where metres of snow are recorded.

I do not expect much snow for anywhere really except Donegal and Mayo, Sligo. The Cork and Kerry mountains could do well also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

uAOGW2k.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Euro4 12z.

17011212_1012.gif.0fa8f171e80122049e973d77e5516265.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Living up to your username, huh? ;)

Chart for Thurs showing the bands of precipitation to pass over the country with plenty of showers also. Strong NW and N winds probably PM and turning more Arctic as the day goes on. It is an understatement to say that the wind chill will be literally breath taking. You would think that most places wills see wintry precipitation and a lot will see some bit of snow.

1SWvIlE.png?1

guWtg8H.png

frDAeaE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

I'm not really optimistic for snow here so I certainly wouldn't be optimistic for snow sticking down in cork mate

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

pad199207 wrote: »
    I'm not really optimistic for snow here so I certainly wouldn't be optimistic for snow sticking down in cork mate

Ah Pad don't burst my bubble again ....... :-(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kittyn wrote: »
    Ah Pad don't burst my bubble again ....... :-(

Don't worry Kittyn, I'll sort you out with a bit of snow in Dublin 16. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭andygaw

Very difficult to forecast snow even this short range but the charts are indicating a good chance of snow for Cork City area & many other parts of the country all right mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »

Whoo happy snow bunny again :) I think things are about to get interesting.......

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    It is extremely unusual for Cork City to get any snow in reality..significant snow is unheard of.

Dublin and Belfast yes in an Easterly or North Easterly wind which is quite rare nowadays but when it arrives it deposits lots of dry snow especially in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains where metres of snow are recorded.

I do not expect much snow for anywhere really except Donegal and Mayo, Sligo. The Cork and Kerry mountains could do well also.
    Come on here Thursday night and we see who's right?
    I've lived through many snow days in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

Is Westport Mayo likely to get snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

horsefarm wrote: »
    Ah sure that altitude you wouldnt even be halfway up to Jonnie Foxes. You need to go higher!

Sorry I'm only noticing now it is litreally acrosss the road from Johnnie foxes how many m asl would that be around glencullen?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sorry I'm only noticing now it is litreally acrosss the road from Johnnie foxes how many m asl would that be around glencullen?

I'm up that way now. Registering 9°

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is Westport Mayo likely to get snow ?

Yes, almost guaranteed. See chart in post #1 and several other similar ones over the forum and thread.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

DOCARCH wrote: »

Get a room!!! :P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My flight is later at 16.40. Hopefully you're well on your way by the time I get there! :-) I'm so conflicted in my emotions about this weather!! If I can't fly on Thursday, there better be enough snow in my back garden for a massive snowman!

I'll be landed by then. Going up Wednesday night to avoid the early start thursday.

Snow or sunshine?.....snow or sunshine?.....I cant decide..I needs a group of unknown people on the "interweb" to help me :rolleyes:

Inlaws are flying in from Eastern Europe tomorrow to mind the kids.....they are leaving -20C..now thats snow for ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

I think JFoxes is around 260m
    I'm nearly sure I checked in the past and it was the same altitude as my gaff. Couldnt swear on it though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement