Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

By 8am tomorrow almost anywhere could have snow but the north and west will have most. However the east and north east could have a nice covering too. ❄️️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I'm following this forum avidly. It's great fun to see what will happen. I also follow the F1 Charts and Winter Weather one and have read every bit of them and am still trying to work out if there will be snow in my part of the world. I live in Northwest Wicklow 205m asl .

Yesterday evening I said there's no chance of snow here but today I'm going hmmm well maybe! Anyone else out think I'm in with a good chance?
    Id say u will get a covering by morning or at some stage tomorrow. 70% of a chance I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭squarecircles

STATUS ORANGE for places

Gah,inland,high ground

Fires mobile across room*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Yeah it all depends initially where that overnight wave goes
    If it stretches into north Wicklow then rain there will probably turn to snow on high ground before it clears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

STATUS ORANGE for places

status yellow in others now too

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

STATUS ORANGE
    Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Very cold, wintry weather from Wednesday evening onwards until Friday night. Showers of hail, sleet and snow will occur, with moderate accumulations to lower levels inland, more significant amounts on high ground, where there's a risk of drifting and blizzard conditions at times. Some scattered thunderstorms also.

Issued:Wednesday 11 January 2017 11:00
    Valid:Wednesday 11 January 2017 18:00 to Friday 13 January 2017 18:00

STATUS YELLOW
    Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Leinster, Galway and Roscommon
    Very cold, wintry weather will develop overnight Wednesday, continuing until Friday night. Showers of hail, sleet and snow will occur, with some accumulations to lower levels, but especially over high ground. Showers will be more scattered in south Leinster and along the east coast of Leinster. Icy conditions also.

Issued:Wednesday 11 January 2017 11:00
    Valid:Thursday 12 January 2017 05:00 to Friday 13 January 2017 18:00

STATUS YELLOW
    Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Very cold wintry weather will develop from Wednesday night onwards.
    Showers will turn wintry in many places, from Wednesday evening to Saturday, with falls of sleet and snow expected. The heaviest of the snow fall is most likely over Ulster, Connacht, north Leinster and west Munster and especially so on high ground.

Issued:Tuesday 10 January 2017 15:00
    Valid:Wednesday 11 January 2017 18:03 to Saturday 14 January 2017 12:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If there's a Status Orange, could this not be a named storm, or does it have to be a specific type of storm system for that to happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Hi all, been following these treads as a guest with a few years and finally decided to join in! I'm at 186m asl between Macroom and Ballyvourney, am I correct in assuming that we should see some cover tomorrow evening?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MJohnston wrote: »
    If there's a Status Orange, could this not be a named storm, or does it have to be a specific type of storm system for that to happen?

Has to be Orange wind warning.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Has to be Orange wind warning.

Says here that 'Consideration will also be given to rain and snow events' in the name chart graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So are we still lamp post watching for about 6pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭highdef

MJohnston wrote: »
    Says here that 'Consideration will also be given to rain and snow events' in the name chart graphic.
    I read the text in that link but didn't see anything about storms being named for rain and snow events. Am I going blind? I actually hope I am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Think the wind from the north west will push this back and it's going to be a non event for the eastern areas of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Hi all, been following these treads as a guest with a few years and finally decided to join in! I'm at 186m asl between Macroom and Ballyvourney, am I correct in assuming that we should see some cover tomorrow evening?

Cheers.
    Yes Definitely
    But please post back and let us know
    We don't have any roving reporters in that area!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

There was a very cold shower in East Clare 20 minutes ago.

dmcsweeney wrote:

It should powder inland twoards the evening....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Have to fly from Knock tomorrow afternoon, should be interesting up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just got quite dark all of a sudden in Sligo. Could this be a sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Any signs of organised bands of precip coming down instead of a few decaying showers we usually get from the NW? I feel it's the only chance the south east will have.

There is a small area of low pressure with a band of more organised showers due to cross the country Thursday evening from the northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Low tomorrow morning is very interesting. What could it be ?🀔

highdef wrote: »
    I read the text in that link but didn't see anything about storms being named for rain and snow events. Am I going blind? I actually hope I am :D

You're going blind only in the sense that you didn't read my post fully ;)

It's in the graphic here:

Storm_Names_2016-17.png

Fourth paragraph in the middle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The showers are growing as they reach Galway hopefully it will be the same by tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

So that's 9cms of cumlative snow for Donegal and Leitrim.:D

screenshot_1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just got quite dark all of a sudden in Sligo. Could this be a sign?

Surface temps still to warm at 6/7 degrees

11am TAF

Shannon Airport : Light Showers Sleet from 6am-12pm tomorrow.

Knock Airport : Chance of light sleet showers from 6pm-4am and then temporary lighy snow showers from 5am-12pm

Belfast Aldergrove:
    Chance of Rain Showers: 12pm - 6pm today
    Temporary Sleet showers: 6pm-12am tonight.
    Temporary Snow showers from 12am-12pm tomorrow.
    Chance of Heavy snow showers and 300m visibility 2am-12pm tomorrow.

Temporary usually means it will happen but wont be constant, and chance of means might.

Dublin and Cork have no mention of percipation in their forecasts.

If I was to choose where to be based on those forecasts, I'd pick Belfast!

IIRC when we had a red rainfall event before Johanna said on the TV forecast that it will not be a named storm because the wind isn't a feature.

Where do ye think we will get the first snow shower ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

17011212_1106.gif

-40 at 500hpa, in an active and unstable flow, could equal a nice surprise in this brief window:)

heavy snow for many, possibly:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Where do ye think we will get the first snow shower ?

Donegal. 5.30pm this evening.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Just watched the 1.30 weather why do they find it so hard to say snow? They love the sleet word tho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Gerry Fleming on the News at One now discussing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement